FTB - It´s to easy, how to make it hard?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Possibly - though I would have to say the combination of 1.6 mechanics, mekanism and metallurgy has made your offensive capabilities matter every bit as much as your defensive ones now. No longer is a fully kitted out MPS with energy shields god mode. The sheer number of mobs that you'll attract means even a powersuit wearer is in danger unless they're selective about target priority etc.
Really? Then I might consider bringing MPS back to ShneekeyCraft. My biggest problem with the mod was near invulnerability (leading up to actual invulnerability by the time you get all four armor slots with force fields). If that is no longer the case... hmmm....

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
One thing that would make things hard on engineering side: make all non-natural blocks break down at some (very small) chance. It would be nearly unnoticeable until you get to late game. And then you'll have to design things with their survivability in mind, just like in real life.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Then I might consider bringing MPS back to ShneekeyCraft. My biggest problem with the mod was near invulnerability (leading up to actual invulnerability by the time you get all four armor slots with force fields). If that is no longer the case... hmmm....
You can edit the defense points of the MPS.
RR nerfed a bit so it won't shadow the new armor iirc.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

just for the info: all three types of plating have same armor value. it just happens that energy shielding is the lightest.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
In the last version I used, the shielding was like Protection enhancement, and would stop everything, including void damage. Is this no longer the case?
unless tinker`s table hides something, all tree types have same armor value but different weight and power usage. the void damage was probably stopped by high armor value.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
unless tinker`s table hides something, all tree types have same armor value but different weight and power usage. the void damage was probably stopped by high armor value.
Having max armor with Force Fields in all four slots in an MPS still made you invincible (until you ran out of energy), unless things have changed since then. You literally could not take damage.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Having max armor with Force Fields in all four slots in an MPS still made you invincible (until you ran out of energy), unless things have changed since then. You literally could not take damage.
Did you try that with the other armor types for comparison?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i know that. what i`m trying to say is that other platings have same defensive capabilities.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that would make things hard on engineering side: make all non-natural blocks break down at some (very small) chance. It would be nearly unnoticeable until you get to late game. And then you'll have to design things with their survivability in mind, just like in real life.

Id like to see machines break down and require some sort of repair kit to get working again, something that is consumed so it uses up resources.

thaile4ever

Jul 29, 2019
i know that. what i`m trying to say is that other platings have same defensive capabilities.

Not exactly. Without power all three armor are identical and you take damage base on vanilla armor calculation. With power the force field changes all damage you would have taken into energy drain instead.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Id like to see machines break down and require some sort of repair kit to get working again, something that is consumed so it uses up resources.

Like the GT Steam Turbine with 8 handtools, random failures, and greater than 0% chance of catastrophic failure and explosion even when the machine is perfectly tended ?

That's !!FUN!!!

Or, like the SteveCarts2 basic and hardened tools (i.e. not Galgadorian) ?

That, IMHO, is more reasonable. I'm cool with feeding a basic SC2 wood cutter a diamond for every forest's worth of trees it chops down. Fair price. However, the GT Steam Turbine maintenance is a mini-game in itself and not one I like playing.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why it has a sprint module which increases base speed as well as sprint speed to compensate for it.
indeed. but still it would be a lower amount you could have without that weight.

Not exactly. Without power all three armor are identical and you take damage base on vanilla armor calculation. With power the force field changes all damage you would have taken into energy drain instead.
if it worked the way you described i dont think there would be a armor value slider for energy shielding. i assume all 3 of them reduce damage based on vanilla armor mechanics, at least that`s what tinker`s table tells you that.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Like the GT Steam Turbine with 8 handtools, random failures, and greater than 0% chance of catastrophic failure and explosion even when the machine is perfectly tended ?

That's !!FUN!!!

Or, like the SteveCarts2 basic and hardened tools (i.e. not Galgadorian) ?

That, IMHO, is more reasonable. I'm cool with feeding a basic SC2 wood cutter a diamond for every forest's worth of trees it chops down. Fair price. However, the GT Steam Turbine maintenance is a mini-game in itself and not one I like playing.

Im a fan of gregtech but have not played the newest versions. If it works the way you say, then Id have to agree with others that he has gone too far. I like explosions... when i screw up. Random explosions... not so fun. 8 Hand tools? yeah sounds excessive.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I kind of like how IC2 windmill did that. More wind=more energy, too much wind = broken windmill. You could choose your own balance between effectiveness and reliability.