FTB Departed Discussion

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Might as well revive this to update some people:

TL;DR plans were changed, the AoA update is being split into 3 updates: 2.5-2.7

However, 2.5 as it stands is "released" as an open beta, basically, a snapshot, you can go to the MC forum AoA post, go to the latest page, go to page 1813 (I think), and there it is, keep in mind, there are bugs, hence the "open beta" mentioned earlier.

@Watchful11 will Departed be updated once the 2.5 AoA update is "officially" released?
So, on 2.7? Can't wait!

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but... Mob Aspects mod? Pretty please with sugar cane on top?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, I am planning on updating Departed when Xolova says 2.5 is ready. If you have any suggestions, or things you want changed, go ahead and submit them to the bug report forum. I try to read this thread, but I don't remember everything that comes up and that's a better place to organize it.

Z

Zanybrainy2003

I'm so happy to hear that you're updating this pack once AOA 2.5 comes out.

M

Minecraftpawnda

I'm on my first step in this modpack, and love it. However I got some questions;

1) When I go down in my mine, on the way I put down slabs to prevent mobs from spawning. However in the cave system I stumbled upon.
I have a really big (huge) problem with tricksters. I wonder if anyone got any tips how to deal with them? They spawn in pack of 5-10 and just blows me to pieces.

2) Does anyone know how I can get my hands on the book "Mighty Smelting"? I've done both a tool forge and the things for the smeltery but still haven't got my hands on the book. Am I missing something?

Also for where to find ores. I find aoa ores most frequent on level 5-11. Diamonds are not as common on level 11 as on level 5 for me
On level 11 I found 3 diamonds. On level 5 I found 14 diamonds under 5 minutes. However I did notice that for me sapphire is alot more common than rosite and jade. Is this normal or am I just really unlucky on that part?

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on my first step in this modpack, and love it. However I got some questions;

1) When I go down in my mine, on the way I put down slabs to prevent mobs from spawning. However in the cave system I stumbled upon.
I have a really big (huge) problem with tricksters. I wonder if anyone got any tips how to deal with them? They spawn in pack of 5-10 and just blows me to pieces.

2) Does anyone know how I can get my hands on the book "Mighty Smelting"? I've done both a tool forge and the things for the smeltery but still haven't got my hands on the book. Am I missing something?

Also for where to find ores. I find aoa ores most frequent on level 5-11. Diamonds are not as common on level 11 as on level 5 for me
On level 11 I found 3 diamonds. On level 5 I found 14 diamonds under 5 minutes. However I did notice that for me sapphire is alot more common than rosite and jade. Is this normal or am I just really unlucky on that part?

Your first question, I'm not sure on how to help. The second, is ieasy. Just put your Materials and You Vol. 1 on the grid, to get Vol. 2, and then Vol. 2 on the grid to get the Mighty Smelting.

As for the ore matter, I think it is just as it's supposed to be; you're on the right levels and by your side is RNGesus.

M

Minecraftpawnda

Your first question, I'm not sure on how to help. The second, is ieasy. Just put your Materials and You Vol. 1 on the grid, to get Vol. 2, and then Vol. 2 on the grid to get the Mighty Smelting.

As for the ore matter, I think it is just as it's supposed to be; you're on the right levels and by your side is RNGesus.

Oh, I'm not sure I got the Materials and you vol 1. I haven't seen it around atleast but maybe I'm just blind. Anyway thank you for your help.

I'll just have to find a way to deal with the tricksters. I do got a void chestplate from a drop so it keeps me somewhat protected. But it's not enough when 3-4 explodes at the same time.

jazzadellic

Jul 29, 2019

The tricksters are infact a huge problem because they replicate. So if you don't kill them fast enough you end up with an overwhelming number of them. I had one spawn of theirs get so out of control I ended up killing like 50 of them and there were still dozens left so I just gave up and stopped trying. I believe if you leave the area and save/quit and reload the spawns reset, so try that. It's one of the big turn offs for me, for this modpack. One little trick I used to get rid of dozens of them was I carried a bucket of lava with me, and when they started swarming me, I enclosed myself in a cobblestone box and just kept pouring the lava out onto them (from above), recollect the lava and repeat until the bulk of them were dead and then I left my safety box and hunted down the remaining ones before they cloned to another 100. It was very time consuming though, it probably would have been better to just reset the spawn.

If you search NEI, the recipe for the first tinkers book is very easy, something like blank pattern (the same one used for the stencils), and maybe a book or something. And then the other books can be made by simply combining the 1st book with another blank pattern, and then the 2nd book with the blank pattern, iirc.

Rosite and Jade are meant to be super rare iirc. You can read about this somewhere like at the AoA wiki. If I remember correctly, sapphire is the best gem to make weapons out of, it gives you the best attack modifier. So don't waste any of it making tools. I'm just saying all this from memory, I haven't played ftb departed for a while, so just go look this up on the wiki to confirm. http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Advent_of_Ascension_Wiki

M

Minecraftpawnda

The tricksters are infact a huge problem because they replicate. So if you don't kill them fast enough you end up with an overwhelming number of them. I had one spawn of theirs get so out of control I ended up killing like 50 of them and there were still dozens left so I just gave up and stopped trying. I believe if you leave the area and save/quit and reload the spawns reset, so try that. It's one of the big turn offs for me, for this modpack. One little trick I used to get rid of dozens of them was I carried a bucket of lava with me, and when they started swarming me, I enclosed myself in a cobblestone box and just kept pouring the lava out onto them (from above), recollect the lava and repeat until the bulk of them were dead and then I left my safety box and hunted down the remaining ones before they cloned to another 100. It was very time consuming though, it probably would have been better to just reset the spawn.

If you search NEI, the recipe for the first tinkers book is very easy, something like blank pattern (the same one used for the stencils), and maybe a book or something. And then the other books can be made by simply combining the 1st book with another blank pattern, and then the 2nd book with the blank pattern, iirc.

Rosite and Jade are meant to be super rare iirc. You can read about this somewhere like at the AoA wiki. If I remember correctly, sapphire is the best gem to make weapons out of, it gives you the best attack modifier. So don't waste any of it making tools. I'm just saying all this from memory, I haven't played ftb departed for a while, so just go look this up on the wiki to confirm. http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Advent_of_Ascension_Wiki

I did a bit of reading and you're right, the trickster do make a clone of it every 8 second.

No wonder you get flooded if you don't kill it quickly. I also thought that the tricksters naturally exploded, but it's just the clones :-D. So the one that's left after all exploded is the real one. Good to know.

So I'll be trying to use the lava trick as you mentioned. However I kind of want to eventually get my hands on it's loot. But I guess that's a worry for another time.

As for the Books. I watched the NEI and didn't get any good recepie. Except for putting the other books in the crafting grid. But I'll try what you said and Craft the book. It's necessary to have it as I'm not very experienced in using the smeltery.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius

I know it's been responded to already, but I'd like to input as well.

Tricksters are annoying, but if you build your base right then they are manageable. I use a lot of airlocks (halways seperated by doors on each side) and build vertically, so if there's an invasion I can deal with it rather easily. When dealing with tricksters, block them off and shoot them down. I use an air staff for that. The ammo is really easy to make and the weapon itself fires quickly, albeit low powered. Each kill also damages every other trickster. But yeah the best recourse is to walk away. You can do this by going up to the max build level. They'll despawn and you'll be fine.

As for the ores, the rarity of rare overworld AoA ores is as such: amethyst>jade>roite>sapphire. Sapphire is only found at like y level 6 iirc. If you mine there, you should find some of every ore.

M

Minecraftpawnda

I know it's been responded to already, but I'd like to input as well.

Tricksters are annoying, but if you build your base right then they are manageable. I use a lot of airlocks (halways seperated by doors on each side) and build vertically, so if there's an invasion I can deal with it rather easily. When dealing with tricksters, block them off and shoot them down. I use an air staff for that. The ammo is really easy to make and the weapon itself fires quickly, albeit low powered. Each kill also damages every other trickster. But yeah the best recourse is to walk away. You can do this by going up to the max build level. They'll despawn and you'll be fine.

As for the ores, the rarity of rare overworld AoA ores is as such: amethyst>jade>roite>sapphire. Sapphire is only found at like y level 6 iirc. If you mine there, you should find some of every ore.

I gladly take any advice I can get. Especially when it comes to the tricksters. I got a long corridor I built down to the cave system I found (more like a ravine). It's connected directly to my house, but I haven't got any airlocks except for a scrubby trapdoor that closes of the start.
I did some tinker's weapons today with limonite and a aoa armor (partly) with limonite and sapphire (forgot the name). I do got 1 piece from void armor. I wonder if this is s good base to enter the nether with?

A issue I got with my smeltery is that I need to get aluminium brass for the casts. But I can't find aluminium or copper. Atleast not in the amounts I would nees to make a arsenal off weapons. Does anyone have an idea on what level they are?
Because I really want to get everything I can Before I even consider going to the nether.

Also for the first aoa dimension to visit. Which one is the easiest/best?

Zaidel

Jul 29, 2019
I think that departed is a wonderful addition to the mix of various modpacks that can be found on the ftb launcher, but I also think that departed could use the addition of Biomes O' Plenty. Before you decide to say "Hey, Xello! The Advent of Ascension mobs can only spawn in vanilla biomes!", or "Hey, Xello! There would be a biome id conflict!", I would like to say that the first possible problem is false. From what I understand, the Advent of Ascension mobs are no longer hard coded to only spawn on grass blocks of a specific vanilla biome. That was something before the release of 2.x. What I noticed when I added Biomes O' Plenty to the modpack myself was that the mobs spawned based on levels of humidity. Here's an example: You would to expect to find a Fishix (swamp mob) in a vanilla swampland, right? Well, I found some in a bayou biome. Surely enough, adding Biomes O' Plenty will not affect the spawn of your Advent of Ascension mobs.
Now on to the answer of "Hey, Xello! There would be a biome id conflict!". That is a problem, but who ever said that we are not allowed to fiddle with the config files? So, I did that. If you look in the Advent of Ascension config file, you will see that the biome id's for the different dimensions in the mod are changeable variables. Minecraft recognizes biome id's up until 250. Reassigning the biome id's in AoA2-2.cfg (opened with notepad) to 231-250 fixed the biome id conflict with Biomes O' Plenty biomes.
I don't know about you guys, but I think it adds some variety to the modpack. Please consider my suggestion!
Have a good day! -Xello101 ^.-
Which version of BoP were you using? I've been trying to add it myself and it says that it requires a newer version of Forge.
Nevermind, updated Forge
Edit: Updating Forge did it. Mobs do indeed spawn.

Last edited:
M

Minecraftpawnda

So I've been coming a fair bit on the way in departed I got enough stuff to sustain myself for a long period of time and already visited the haven with success. Now I'm qurrently working on getting the weakening armor so I can go to the deeplands. BUT finding Urkas is proving to be a time consuming challenge. I just wanted to ask if you guys find them to be rare or just as common as let's say cows? Because I only found about 5 ~ of them during the course of 5 minecraft days. I thought they'd be easier to come across in the Taiga.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
So I've been coming a fair bit on the way in departed I got enough stuff to sustain myself for a long period of time and already visited the haven with success. Now I'm qurrently working on getting the weakening armor so I can go to the deeplands. BUT finding Urkas is proving to be a time consuming challenge. I just wanted to ask if you guys find them to be rare or just as common as let's say cows? Because I only found about 5 ~ of them during the course of 5 minecraft days. I thought they'd be easier to come across in the Taiga.
My advice would be to cut down all the trees in your hunting grounds. Just use a lumber axe. Visibility will be much better, there'll be much more spawnable places, plus you'll have plenty of wood to work with in the future. Also keep in mind that AoA is very specific when it comes to location. If you're looking for urkas, you'll only find then in a taiga. Nowhere else. (I wasn't sure if you knew that or not, so might as well point it out anyways)

Another tip if you're feeling cocky, botania has a crimson potion (I think that's what it's called) that vastly increases mob spawns and disabled a lot of the fairness safeguards and limitations behind spawning. Mobs can spawn anywhere in any light level with that potion on. Even slimes will spawn in broad daylight. This potion should vastly increase spawns, hopefully getting the urkas you need to appear.

M

Minecraftpawnda

My advice would be to cut down all the trees in your hunting grounds. Just use a lumber axe. Visibility will be much better, there'll be much more spawnable places, plus you'll have plenty of wood to work with in the future. Also keep in mind that AoA is very specific when it comes to location. If you're looking for urkas, you'll only find then in a taiga. Nowhere else. (I wasn't sure if you knew that or not, so might as well point it out anyways)

Another tip if you're feeling cocky, botania has a crimson potion (I think that's what it's called) that vastly increases mob spawns and disabled a lot of the fairness safeguards and limitations behind spawning. Mobs can spawn anywhere in any light level with that potion on. Even slimes will spawn in broad daylight. This potion should vastly increase spawns, hopefully getting the urkas you need to appear.
----
Hi thank you, I am currently wandering the taigas yes. I've been reading the AoA wiki carefully and I was excited for this. I will try the lumberaxe as it seems they don't fancy to spawn where there's to many trees. I haven't yet got into botania so I don't know if I want to try that potion at the moment. But in the future I might.

The thing is that I only need 2 more urka hides and then I can make the weaken armor. I do find them it's just annoying the amount of time I spend searcing and then not getting a drop. I'll just try your idea with the lumberaxe to cut down the trees. Thank you!

Edit; While I'm still here before I forget, does anyone have any good way of farming tricksters? I've got the tips to use lava and pur it over them but I sort of need their drops (the deepland realmstone for one). So I wanted to hear if someone got a good trick to kill them without dying/and or loosing the loot?

Edit 2;
So I'm in the deeplands now and currently harvesting Deep cases, but they only drop themselves not any "epic loot". Am I doing something wrong? I'm mining them with a limonite pickaxe.

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Edit; While I'm still here before I forget, does anyone have any good way of farming tricksters? I've got the tips to use lava and pur it over them but I sort of need their drops (the deepland realmstone for one). So I wanted to hear if someone got a good trick to kill them without dying/and or loosing the loot?
There is no good way to get trickster loot without some sort of auto spawner. They propagate too fast and usually it's 20 fakes to one real trickster, making killing the actual trickster well, tricky. Fortunately though, you don't really need their loot. They drop one of the worst guns in the game, deeplands realmstones which drop from basically any underground mob, abyss realmstones that drop from blood hunt mobs, and illusion banners that are dropped by the boss Illusive, and are also purely decorative.
So I'm in the deeplands now and currently harvesting Deep cases, but they only drop themselves not any "epic loot". Am I doing something wrong? I'm mining them with a limonite pickaxe.
Let me guess, the limonite pick is a tinkers tool? If so then place them down and use a non-tinkers limonite pick to break them. Then the epic loot doth floweth.

M

Minecraftpawnda

There is no good way to get trickster loot without some sort of auto spawner. They propagate too fast and usually it's 20 fakes to one real trickster, making killing the actual trickster well, tricky. Fortunately though, you don't really need their loot. They drop one of the worst guns in the game, deeplands realmstones which drop from basically any underground mob, abyss realmstones that drop from blood hunt mobs, and illusion banners that are dropped by the boss Illusive, and are also purely decorative.

Let me guess, the limonite pick is a tinkers tool? If so then place them down and use a non-tinkers limonite pick to break them. Then the epic loot doth floweth.

---
I managed to kill the real trickster but of course his duplicates blowed up teh weapon the real one dropped. I gave up really fast after that. Now I just travelled 2,000+ blocks to a savannah and got the troll idol for smash but as I died from fall damage (the amethind armor doesn't work??) he despawned? So I have to go and re-harvest hides and desert shells (this time I'll get loads of them and not be lazy) *sigh*.

OH, yes it's a tinkers tool.. Then I understand, I was frustrated why the 10 cases I got didn't drop anything but themselves oh well. I'll get right too it.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
---
I managed to kill the real trickster but of course his duplicates blowed up teh weapon the real one dropped. I gave up really fast after that. Now I just travelled 2,000+ blocks to a savannah and got the troll idol for smash but as I died from fall damage (the amethind armor doesn't work??) he despawned? So I have to go and re-harvest hides and desert shells (this time I'll get loads of them and not be lazy) *sigh*.

OH, yes it's a tinkers tool.. Then I understand, I was frustrated why the 10 cases I got didn't drop anything but themselves oh well. I'll get right too it.
amethind armor is indeed broken in this version of AoA. I think the alacrity armor does cancel damage though.

The alacrity armor used to give jump boost AND fall damage negation, but they want to switch the fall damage buff to a different armor set, just haven't yet. So amethind armor is in the game, but doesn't negate fall damage. Alacrity does negate fall damage, but doesn't say it does. Go figure. I'd say just spawn in a new troll idol because you lost yours due to a bug.

M

Minecraftpawnda

amethind armor is indeed broken in this version of AoA. I think the alacrity armor does cancel damage though.

The alacrity armor used to give jump boost AND fall damage negation, but they want to switch the fall damage buff to a different armor set, just haven't yet. So amethind armor is in the game, but doesn't negate fall damage. Alacrity does negate fall damage, but doesn't say it does. Go figure. I'd say just spawn in a new troll idol because you lost yours due to a bug.

---
I would spawn it in but I never set my world to "cheats enabled" so it's rather hard. I never realised I had to do it until I lost countless of stuff from bugs and so on.
Also I managed to open my deep cases and got a deep bow 2x subbteranian boots 1 helmet and a pair of leggings (only missing the chestplate and some coins.

I'm regreting not putting on cheats to start with it kind of sucks haha.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
---
I would spawn it in but I never set my world to "cheats enabled" so it's rather hard. I never realised I had to do it until I lost countless of stuff from bugs and so on.
Also I managed to open my deep cases and got a deep bow 2x subbteranian boots 1 helmet and a pair of leggings (only missing the chestplate and some coins.

I'm regreting not putting on cheats to start with it kind of sucks haha.
You can set NEI to cheat mode. Be default, it's locked to recipe, but you can easily change that. Just open your inventory, click options, then inventory, then click the button at the top right that says "global". Click the W that shows up next to the mode button, then click the global button again (should say world now) and you can change the game mode freely.

M

Minecraftpawnda

Ohhh, it's that easy? Well I never knew, I feel like a noob now eventhough I played modded Minecraft for years. I'll try that tomorrow.

I should have known that Before I did a 50x50 rare monster spawner area 200 blocks above a ocean biome.

I just hope it works, previously in mods if you haven't changed to allowing cheats when you created the world it won't work. But oh well I'll give it a shot ^^.