FTB Departed Discussion

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
Well, not entirely sure about the "no issues at all" part, but last night i did a little 16 hour marathon of Departed with my older AIO PC (pretty crappy by todays standards), and it was Ok. The only fps drops etc. "issues" i had were related to mob spawning. By that i mean the game started to have very brief pauses (about a quarter of a second) from time to time, and every time it seems it was loading mobs to the area. Of course it can be just a coincidence, but every time it happened, mobs appeared in front of me. Also for some reason, some special mobs like to disappear in front of me, even if i try to sprint directly at them?

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
Also i think Departed is not that "heavy" to begin with. From personal experience i would say it's about 1/3 (performance wise) of the Infinity pack. Infinity in my older PC is absolutely unplayable, and Departed is fine. Also i run 32x texture packs (PureBdCraft + addon for FTB Departed + sounds) at 1920x1200 native res, and all that is running on a crappy 512MB 9600M GT and 4GB of DDR2 RAM :D CPU is T9900 C2D. So yeah, it's not that heavy.

Last edited:

Demokdawa

Jul 29, 2019
U mean your AIO is very old and you can run Departed without a single lag ? 60 fps ? Hmmmm.... can u tell me your configuration (AIO PC). Because I have an MSI laptop with Geforce 660M and I5-2750 (8go RAM) and I lag soooooo much :/

"By that i mean the game started to have very brief pauses (about a quarter of a second) from time to time, and every time it seems it was loading mobs to the area."

I have exactly the same issue xD

EDIT : Look, that's the updates we need to do (I will test that on my personnal server after work) :

Botania R1.6 192 ----> R1.7 225
AoA 2.3.1 ----> 2.4B
AromaCore 1.0.2.13 ----> AromaCore 1.0.2.16
BiblioCraft 1.11.1----> BiblioCraft 1.11.2
Carpenters Blocks 3.3.6 ----> Carpenters Blocks 3.3.7
Chisel 2.3.10.37 ----> Chisel 2.9.2.8
CodeChickenCore 1.0.6.43 ----> CodeChickenCore 1.0.7.47
Decocraft 2.0.2 ----> Decocraft 2.1.1
Dynmap 2.1 Forge ----> Dynmap 2.2 Forge
EnderStorage 1.4.7.33 ----> EnderStorage 1.4.7.37
FastLeafDecay 1.1 ----> FastLeafDecay 1.3
HardcoreEnderExpansion 1.8.2 ----> >HardcoreEnderExpansion 1.8.4
MineTweaker 3.0.9c ----> MineTweaker 3.0.10
ModTweaker 0.83 ----> ModTweaker 0.93
NeiAddons 1.12.11.36 ---->NeiAddons 1.12.13.38
NotEnoughItems 1.0.4 1.0.7 ----> NotEnoughItems 1.0.5.118
NEK 1.0.0b29 ----> NEK 3.0.0b43
OPenBlocks 1.4.3 ----> 1.4.4
OpenModLib 10-0.7.3 ----> OPenMobLib 10-0.8
HarvestCraft i ----> HavestCraft k
SpiceOfLife 1.2.3 ----> SpiceOfLife 1.2.4
TConstruct 1.8.6a ----> TConstruct 1.8.7
TIC Tooltip 1.2.4 ----> TIC Tooltip 1.2.5
Custom Main Menu 1.5 ----> Custom Main Menu 1.8
JourneyMap 5.0.1 ----> JourneyMap 5.1.0

Few mods are just in my personnal Departed Modpack, not in original Departed, just ignore them ^^

Last edited:

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
Hi. Yes, that is correct. The AIO is a old HP Touchsmart iQ820sc. It's heavily customized tough, but still it's ancient tech. The cpu is changed from C2D P7450 to T9900. MXM GPU from 9600M GS to GT and overclocked via vBIOS. Memory is 4GB DDR2-800, upgrading to 8GB soon. 840 Pro SSD by Samsung and Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit. The touchscreen panel is native 16:10 1920x1200 60Hz. And the frame rate varies between 45-60.

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, u have an 2 core cpu and 1 go graphic card, and u can run departed ? TT
Wtf i can't

Yeah, the T9900 3,06GHz is the "top of the line" C2D for my chipset, without overpaying for a X-series. Old tech is expensive as hell, and hard to find. The GPU is a bit tricky to explain, because it's not really a "laptop GPU". It's a hybrid of sorts, using a MXM (mobile PCi-Express) port, that is usually found only on top of the line laptops and the more expensive AIO PC setups. So it's basically a laptop with a dedicated GPU and proper "actual" coolers, except the GPU is a gimped version of a desktop GPU. Overall that gives a little bit more freedom when it comes to customization and overclocking. And yes, it's very limited in performance wise these days, but one could say it's running at the maximum the platform can handle :D

Last edited:

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I had planned on an update next weekend, but I'll push it up on my list. I hadn't realized it was quite that far out of date.

And I've got a few bugs to track down.

teirdal

Jul 29, 2019
I thought I would flesh out my earlier criticism with some constructive feedback about my opinion of what Departed should be. I may add additional ideas to this post in the future.

The title of the modpack invokes an exploration theme, that the player will be going on a journey; within the context of Minecraft mod pack categorization, I believe it should be an exploration modpack first and foremost. So, going through the current Departed mod list, here is what I think should stay and what should go. Please note that my judgement of a mod in this instance has nothing to do with my feeling about the quality of the mod or the experience it provides, only it's appropriateness for this particular modpack:

Forge/FML by LexManos, cpw = required

Advent of Ascension by Xolova = required

AppleCore by squeek502 = remove

Aroma1997Core by Aroma1997 = keep

AromaBackup by Aroma1997 = keep

Baubles by Azanor = remove

BiblioCraft by Nuchaz = ambivalent, aside from decoration and some minor block utility, it does allow you to copy enchanted books.

Botania by Vazkii = remove. While it does have a bit of exploration built into the progression (gathering flowers) its very minor and short lived in my experience.

bspkrsCore by bspkrs = required

Carpenter's Blocks by Mineshopper = keep

ChickenChunks by Chickenbones = ambivalent, does not really matter

Chisel by AUTOMATIC_MAIDEN = keep

CodeChickenCore by Chickenbones = keep if retaining dependent mods

CodeChickenLib by Chickenbones = keep if retaining dependent mods

Custom Main Menu by lumien231 = keep

DecoCraft by RazzleberryFox = keep

Dr. Cyano's Lootable Bodies by DrCyano = probably should keep, since if I recall correctly it addressed an issue within AoA that may or may not be fixed in future AoA releases.

Enchiridion by joshie = keep

EnderStorage by Chickenbones = ambivalent, certainly convenient

ExtraTiC by Glassmaker = remove

FastCraft by Player = keep

FastLeafDecay by Olafski = ambivalent

Hardcore Ender Expansion by chylex = keep

HarvestCraft by MatrexsVigil, Rhodox = if Spice of Life is retained, keep, if not, ambivalent

Iguana Tweaks for Tinker's Construct by boni, iguana_man = remove

Inventory Tweaks by Kobata = keep

IronChests by cpw = ambivalent

JABBA by ProfMobius = ambivalent

JourneyMap by techbrew = ambivalent with a lean to remove (the radar is my main sticking point, especially with AoA invisible mobs)

Mantle by mDiyo, progwml6 = remove if no dependencies

MineTweaker by StanH = depends on if you need it or not

ModTweaker by jaredlll8, joshiejack, SpitefulFox, Yulife = depends on if you need it or not

NEI Addons by bdew = depends on if you need it or not after removal of other mods

Not Enough Items by Chickenbones = keep

Not Enough Keys by Mr_okushama = ambivalent, may no longer require it, but does not hurt anything.

OpenBlocks by Mikeemoo = ambivalent

OpenModsLib by Mikeemoo = retain if necessary

Redstone Paste Mod by FyberOptic = ambivalent

Resource Loader by lumien231 = keep

StartingInventory by bspkrs = keep

Steve's Workshop by Vswe = ambivalent, but really does not hurt anything

Thaumcraft by Azanor = remove; it also has an exploration component to progression, including a small dimension, but again its relatively minor and short lived.

Thaumic Tinkerer by pixlepix, nekosune, vazkii = remove

The Spice of Life by squeek502 = ambivalent; depends on the pack it is in, in Departed it is annoying since I believe it needs Hunger Overhaul and proper configurations to have meaning beyond annoyance, and that only happens within the context of a "hardcore" mod pack. I do not think Departed is meant to be hardcore. It could be, if desired, but from the feedback on the forums, I see many players saying the AoA mobs are hard enough for them.

TiC Tooltips by squeek502 = remove

Tinker's Construct by boni, mDiyo = remove

Translocators by Chickenbones = ambivalent

Waila by ProfMobius = keep

Wawla by Darkhax = keep

Witchery by Emoniph = remove. It does add the spirit world, but like the other magic mods, its mainly a gate for gathering certain required resources for progression.

Ztones by riciJak = keep if only for the decorative options.

If you remove anything at all, I would remove ExtraTic, IguanaTweaks and Tinkers in that order. Other than the often discussed issues with Tinkers crossbows, several of the AoA armors require ingots from mined ore, and Tinkers ore doubling of AoA ores through ExtraTic makes things a bit easier than it is probably intended in AoA. I also recall from the announcement livestream it was mentioned that Xolova was concerned with mods adding flight mechanics breaking some of his content, which is why XU was omitted, but flight is still possible via Botania, Thaumcraft and Witchery.

If you want to keep one of the big three magic mods for utility sake, keep Witchery with the broomstick disabled, as I feel it provides the most utility without stepping on AoA progression.

--------

With that said, what would I add? Probably other dimension mods (DivineRPG, Erebus, etc.). Perhaps some overworld exploration content mods (Ruins, ChocolateQuest, etc.).

You may consider forcing progression through a certain dimension order with Minetweaker/Modtweaker if possible, but it is not necessary.
I can't agree of your opinion more, after i play a little bit aoa it self with no mod... AOA IS, a whole game, with weapons like magic\guns\bows and has its enchant system, the rpg level progressing, all. It only lack of something like dead body management, backpack, portal, storage system, nothing elase...

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
@Watchful11

Hello. Please, could something be done so that the bomb guys don't spawn directly at player base? Last night loaded a game and there was 3-4 of these TNT guys directly inside my base (4-floors).. They literally blew up half of my base, my nether chests (all nether related items), poppet altars with poppets etc.. Couldn't get those items back, because if i'd go upstairs they would blow up the rest. So i had to dig out of the area and all the items from chests disappeared (timer). I mean those enemies are cool, but that did feel like a grief.

Demokdawa

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I have finished to update the all mods of the pack manually. Here is the list of the updates :

Botania R1.6 192 ----> R1.7 225
AoA 2.3.1 ----> 2.4B
AromaCore 1.0.2.13 ----> AromaCore 1.0.2.16
BiblioCraft 1.11.1----> BiblioCraft 1.11.2
Carpenters Blocks 3.3.6 ----> Carpenters Blocks 3.3.7
Chisel 2.3.10.37 ----> Chisel 2.9.2.8
CodeChickenCore 1.0.6.43 ----> CodeChickenCore 1.0.7.47
Decocraft 2.0.2 ----> Decocraft 2.1.1
Dynmap 2.1 Forge ----> Dynmap 2.2 Forge
EnderStorage 1.4.7.33 ----> EnderStorage 1.4.7.37
FastLeafDecay 1.1 ----> FastLeafDecay 1.3
HardcoreEnderExpansion 1.8.2 ----> >HardcoreEnderExpansion 1.8.4
MineTweaker 3.0.9c ----> MineTweaker 3.0.10
ModTweaker 0.83 ----> ModTweaker 0.93
NeiAddons 1.12.11.36 ---->NeiAddons 1.12.13.38
NotEnoughItems 1.0.4 1.0.7 ----> NotEnoughItems 1.0.5.118
NEK 1.0.0b29 ----> NEK 3.0.0b43 <------------------HERE IS THE BUG
OPenBlocks 1.4.3 ----> 1.4.4
OpenModLib 10-0.7.3 ----> OPenMobLib 10-0.8
HarvestCraft i ----> HavestCraft k
SpiceOfLife 1.2.3 ----> SpiceOfLife 1.2.4
TConstruct 1.8.6a ----> TConstruct 1.8.7
TIC Tooltip 1.2.4 ----> TIC Tooltip 1.2.5
Custom Main Menu 1.5 ----> Custom Main Menu 1.8
JourneyMap 5.0.1 ----> JourneyMap 5.1.0
Mantle 0.3.2 ----> 0.3.2a

And there are no bugs except one. In the last version of notenoughkeys, if you press Z (I'm french, so I use azerty keyboard, and so, Z key to go forward), it will open the inventory and you can't escape. I mean, your stuck in inventory, you can't do anything xD. So, just don't update Notenoughkeys ^^

I can do a pack (client side and server side) if you want ^^

I will test this setup this weekend with friends on my server :)

Anyway, if someone have any idea of good Mod to include in this pack, tell me !

EDIT : WTF I just realized they update the divine RPG mod to 1.7.10 !
I think with a lot of work, we can add moooooar content to the pack :) I we can use DivinePRG and Advent of ascension at the same time... departed will be the funniest pack on FTB, i swear it.

I compare the configs of big updated mods like AoA and Botania to find the changes and adapt :) I will post the changes in the config in the spoiler, to help modpack creator in his work :) :
Botania : No changes in config, keep FTB config.
AoA : The ID in biomes and dimensions are not the same in FTB config and new AoA config, but I think it's normal, because the author of the pack have changed them from the beginning :) Keep FTB config.
BiblioCraft : One change, but it's only a commit, so don't care. Keep FTB config.
Carpenters : No change. Keep FTB.
Chisel : FTB config have few more lines than original config, but it's not important things. Keep FTB config.
EnderStorage : The only change is about checkupdate=false in FTB conf, so keep FTB config.
FastLeafDecay : No change. Keep FTB config.
Hardcore Ender Expansion : No Change. Keep FTB config.
Harvestcraft : No change. Keep FTB config.
JourneyMap : Have no conf server.
NeiAddons : No change. Keep FTB config.
OpenBlocks : No change. Keep FTB config.
OpenMods : No change. Keep FTB config.
Decocraft : No change. Keep FTB config.
Spice of life : No change. FTB have reduce the difficulty of this mod to balance the pack, so don't forget to keep FTB config !
Tinker Construct : No change. Keep FTB config.

Conclusion : The configs of updated mods have not changed, except for one (AoA). For this huge mod, only the author know if the ID changes in biomes and dimensions are good or bad :/

So, Watchfull11, please confirm about the ID's, txh :)

The update of all the mods in the modpack is successfull. I think, the next huge update will be the add of others mods like DivineRPG or Bloodmagic (this is hard because we need to keep the balance of the game :/).

Last edited:

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
Nice work there :) BloodMagic would be on my personal wishlist #1, and a mod with at least one type of pipe. A pump, as much as i would like to see one, would not fit the pack in my opinion. It would make a big dent on the difficulty of the pack. I do like that there are some things that make one's life a little easier, but

a) Those are not handed to you on a silver plate
b) Those are, at least some of them, pretty much top tier stuff

So about the nerfs, please do not just nerf everything, there needs to be some kind of "carrot" to keep the player going. Just make the "good stuff" end game/top tier.

Demokdawa

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, after few days of test work fine, except ONE HUGE THING :

It's about botania, in last version of he mod and since R 1.7 222, the creator of the mod have remove a config option about "wither passive". This option define the number of ticks ingame before the generation flowers die. Before it was set to a value of 2 days, but can be change to "-1" to disable the entire mechanic. Since v222, the author have locked the delay to 1 hour ingame, and we can't change it ..... So it's just unplayable..... We need to back to an older version and lost manyyyyy things :/ It's really sad :/

EDIT: After reading some documentation, i have new informations :

Since the update :

-Few flowers can't decay, but still hard too craft
-Only passive flowers can decay, making the passive mana generation less strong
-It's possible to craft an item to enchant the ground, and so all passive flowers on the ground will not decay !

Last edited:

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
This is completely intentional. Only the passive flowers decay, there's plenty of ways to generate mana.

Aaron D.

Jul 29, 2019
Hey what's up guys I'm trying to figure out what depth Sapphire spawns at and below. As far as i can tell its really low. like below 10. Anyone have any input on this?

Wille84

Jul 29, 2019
Hey what's up guys I'm trying to figure out what depth Sapphire spawns at and below. As far as i can tell its really low. like below 10. Anyone have any input on this?
Yeah, it spawns pretty deep, don't remember exactly the depth but remember someone saying one might get more lucky in ocean biomes? It seems to be entirely dependent of luck unfortunately, so may the RNG gods be generous :D

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Questions: what can I use to get rid of unwanted items? I'm up to my neck with wheat seeds...
Also, I checked the configs for Tinker Tweaks and it says I should be able to repair outside the crafting station. I cannot. What is up with that?

Edit: apparently you cann repair tools. Just not arrows...

Last edited:

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
So, for what I understand, the only way to get apsects for my wand is by going on suicidal expeditions to find nodes out in the boonies, or get some sort of slow grindy mob farm to get aspect orbs, since they only drop from vanilla and Thaumcraft entities. Anyone got a better suggestion/idea?

jacuza

Jul 29, 2019
I went around exploring and ended up with 10+ witch spawner. Pick them up using diamond dolly and set them up nearby my thaumcraft set up. Using the dynamism table + tinkers scythe, I have the witches autokilled, which drop tons of those aspect orb, and sweet loot :p

Reactions: Ashendale

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Given the slow grind I'm having to get apsects out of mobs (thanks a lot for the help, jacuza) I would suggest to get AoA mobs to drop aspect orbs. Or is that internal scripting on Thaumcraft? We can progress on research with the Deconstruction Table, but wand charging is hell...

Edit: I just found out that a mod called Thaumcraft Mob Aspects exists and it can add aspects to mobs from any mob (though it has configs ready for mobs from specific mods).

I strongly suggest that this is added for every hellspawn that is out there to kill us, so we have at leat some way to get them aspects.

Last edited: