FTB - Curse Update

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I actually watched the Q & A stream Slowpoke did and already know that you can opt in to get paid. However, I said that all of the money from ads and stuff should go to the mod author if they want the money. I have got to say that this curse forge will have its benefits such as everything being more organised and FTB being able to focus on their main priority, modpacks without working on your infrastructure. Maybe I'm just so used to the current way of modding that I don't want to let it go. But still none of those benefits will convince me to use it and at the end of the day me not using it isn't going to affect anyone unless masses of people don't use it so I don't see what the problem is. I also don't like arguments so please don't turn this into one.

Not planning on turning it into an argument. My curiosity begs me into inquiries as to the reasoning behind why an individual would go against a move that can actually be of a huge benefit to the modding community as a whole. I won't press the point, but I wouldn't be staying here if I thought it wasn't.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if I came over a bit strong as well. I get it, you have reservations about Curse, and I respect the fact that you are sticking to your principles despite the loss that it will cause you. I am personally boycotting Nestlé, Kraft, and Amazon, the latter of which is really difficult.
None of those three can be easy, considering that Nestlé and Kraft collectively own (to the best of my knowledge) over half the food production companies of North America.

Reactions: surferconor425

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say my main concern is OS support. I use OSX, and plan on using Linux once I get my new machine. I kind of need to know what modpacks there are on the launcher/client/thing for part of my "job".
I use Ubuntu LTS 14.04 as long as the Curse Launcher works with Wine and PlayonLinux you and me will be fine. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1399486429][/DOUBLEPOST]My problem with Curse is that it displays the games that I don't have installed on the side such as Skyrim and Rift. I want to only use the Curse Client as a launcher for Minecraft and I use Steam for everything else.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I use Ubuntu LTS 14.04 as long as the Curse Launcher works with Wine and PlayonLinux you and me will be fine. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1399486429][/DOUBLEPOST]My problem with Curse is that it displays the games that I don't have installed on the side such as Skyrim and Rift. I want to only use the Curse Client as a launcher for Minecraft and I use Steam for everything else.
That's the first time I've heard this complaint, thank you for at least providing a reason why you're not happy :p Most people just say "Nah I hate Curse screw this I'm out".
That said, games on the side aren't exactly a Curse client-specific feature. Do you dislike it in all clients in general (the Battle.net client, even Steam maximises to the store when you open it) or does the Curse client do it in a particular way that makes you dislike it?

Reactions: Padfoote and Eyamaz

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
That's the first time I've heard this complaint, thank you for at least providing a reason why you're not happy :p Most people just say "Nah I hate Curse screw this I'm out".
That said, games on the side aren't exactly a Curse client-specific feature. Do you dislike it in all clients in general (the Battle.net client, even Steam maximises to the store when you open it) or does the Curse client do it in a particular way that makes you dislike it?
No, I love clients as I have one for everything. It's just the Curse client does it in an annoying way. With Steam the games that I don't have installed are labeled under "Uninstalled". The Curse client on the other hand makes everything unorganized and the games that I do have installed are mixed with the games that I don't.

Note: I love it when things are in order.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Hey so do you guys have the Curse Voice set up yet?
As far as I'm aware Curse Voice is being made for League of Legends primarily, but the plan is to expand to other games once the basic features are ironed out and everything.
As it is it'll work for any game anyway, just click "I don't have a particular game in mind" when asked what game you want to create the call for.

Runebooke

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why ftb has too merge with curse, I use ftb modpacks because i dont want to deal with the minecraft launcher and its mostly a convenience for me, that's why i use your launcher. Why would you waste all that time getting Incorporated opening up a store just to throw it down the drain?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why ftb has too merge with curse, I use ftb modpacks because i dont want to deal with the minecraft launcher and its mostly a convenience for me, that's why i use your launcher. Why would you waste all that time getting Incorporated opening up a store just to throw it down the drain?
It isn't being thrown down the drain. All the work is continuing, literally the only thing that'll change is the launcher (which will become a client) and probably the name. Modpacks will still be made, a client/launcher/thing will still exist, I'd expect the store to continue as well (especially considering the plans they have for it).
A website will continue, forums will still exist.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't being thrown down the drain. All the work is continuing, literally the only thing that'll change is the launcher (which will become a client) and probably the name. Modpacks will still be made, a client/launcher/thing will still exist, I'd expect the store to continue as well (especially considering the plans they have for it).
A website will continue, forums will still exist.
And Curse has much better servers than what is used right now.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought I'd toss this in here since it's related: the new CurseForge site interface is pretty slick. I used to like the mod page on Curse.com better, but the CurseForge one is way cleaner and polished now. Nice job on that.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
And Curse has much better servers than what is used right now.
Actually no not really. Our current sponsors creeperhost have been great with web server hardware provided and have out performed any expectations or requests we had in terms of hardware, Curse could not better this. In terms of repo's Curse have made a deal to outsource file hosting to an external CDN provider and do not provide the servers for the CDN, the CDN is being hosted by cloudflare which should be more consistent than our current repo.

EDIT: Clarification

Reactions: surferconor425

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Actually no not really. Our current sponsors creeperhost have been great with hardware provided and have out performed any expectations or requests we had in terms of hardware, Curse could not better this. In terms of repo's Curse have made a deal to outsource file hosting to an external CDN provider and do not provide the servers for the CDN.
I was referring to the wiki, I think. I know that the wiki server is awful.

Reactions: Padfoote

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I was referring to the wiki, I think. I know that the wiki server is awful.
There isn't anything wrong with the wiki server, yes it's small but it has more than enough power for what we are using it for which is essentially a simple web server. The spec of server it is on is the spec I requested from creeperhost, if that turns out not to be powerful enough then we can upgrade that server or if needed put it behind the load balancer with multiple web heads but honestly I don't feel it's required.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't anything wrong with the wiki server, yes it's small but it has more than enough power for what we are using it for which is essentially a simple web server. The spec of server it is on is the spec I requested from creeperhost, if that turns out not to be powerful enough then we can upgrade that server or if needed put it behind the load balancer with multiple web heads but honestly I don't feel it's required.
It 504s every few days due to largish edits. Whatever is used right now is not enough.

ETA: it has gotten to the point where I can't finish long articles without the entire wiki derping itself.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
It 504s every few days due to largish edits. Whatever is used right now is not enough.

ETA: it has gotten to the point where I can't finish long articles without the entire wiki derping itself.
Well this being the first I'm hearing about the issue I'll have to look into it but for future reference if there is a systems issue you should report it to me so I can investigate it