FTB - Curse Update

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought I'd toss this in here since it's related: the new CurseForge site interface is pretty slick. I used to like the mod page on Curse.com better, but the CurseForge one is way cleaner and polished now. Nice job on that.

The mod page is going to get a cleanup too at some point. The focus right now is the stuff mod authors need and the client.

Thefoxdie

Jul 29, 2019
Please tell me this isn't going to be some mandatory thing. I don't know about anyone else, but anything dealing with the regular Minecraft has been a hassle for me. Curse on the other hand has been pretty middle of the road, I guess. I understand this will help the mod creators, and I'm not against that. I....guess I just don't like change much, and I like the FTB launcher as it is. It's always been relatively simple for me and I'm a simple guy.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Please tell me this isn't going to be some mandatory thing. I don't know about anyone else, but anything dealing with the regular Minecraft has been a hassle for me. Curse on the other hand has been pretty middle of the road, I guess. I understand this will help the mod creators, and I'm not against that. I....guess I just don't like change much, and I like the FTB launcher as it is. It's always been relatively simple for me and I'm a simple guy.

Things change. One adapts. Or doesn't.

This is an old argument, one that will change nothing.

Thefoxdie

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't figure I was changing the world. Just thought I'd add my two cents was all.
Besides, adapting is something I've gotten good at over the years.

neontsunade

Jul 29, 2019
does this mean well never see the v2 launcher ( http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/launcher-v2-update.22386/ ) :/ was kind of looking forward to it ... kind of sounds like ftb sold themselves to curse . I've never used the curse launcher before it is stated that it is being made to suit the needs of the ftb launcher are we able to see what it looks like will the launcher be specific to the ftb launcher (http://www.curse.com/client) it appears to launch other games will we have to add or turn off mods each time we want to launch minecraft will the packs be listed as separate addons/games what of curse premium will it affect non premium members i.e updating all packs at once (despite the aforementioned in op ) *copy + paste*premium members get
  • Update all your addons with one click
  • Addon Sync
  • Addon Settings Backup
  • Faster addon downloads
  • Automatic addon updates
  • No ads
are we going to have buy premium to get unlimited download speeds addon sync etc.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
does this mean well never see the v2 launcher ( http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/launcher-v2-update.22386/ ) :/ was kind of looking forward to it ... kind of sounds like ftb sold themselves to curse . I've never used the curse launcher before it is stated that it is being made to suit the needs of the ftb launcher are we able to see what it looks like will the launcher be specific to the ftb launcher (http://www.curse.com/client) it appears to launch other games will we have to add or turn off mods each time we want to launch minecraft will the packs be listed as separate addons/games what of curse premium will it affect non premium members i.e updating all packs at once (despite the aforementioned in op ) *copy + paste*premium members get
  • Update all your addons with one click
  • Addon Sync
  • Addon Settings Backup
  • Faster addon downloads
  • Automatic addon updates
  • No ads
are we going to have buy premium to get unlimited download speeds addon sync etc.

First page:
Curse Premium

During our conversations, we have spoken a lot about how Curse Premium should work when it comes to Minecraft. It has always been important to me that basic functionality is not hidden behind a paywall. Nothing should ever be added that would only serve to segregate the community. This is something that everyone agrees on and we intend to follow the model of making premium features primarily cosmetic in nature. In other words we want you to use Curse Premium because its cool and not because you need it.

Reactions: Nerixel and Hambeau

KrixxisKai

Jul 29, 2019
Apologies if this seems like an odd comment, but as someone who's not that knowledgeable about modding or the Curse client or any of that, I simply have a few questions in regards to this merger thing that I simply haven't found answers to. Perhaps I've overlooked them, perhaps they've not been discussed, I'm just not sure.

When I play Minecraft, 99.9% of the time, it's by myself, and it's either in Agrarian Skies or in the DW20 pack, tho mostly in Agrarian Skies. (Thank you Jaded and your team for making such an amazingly addicting pack!!!! I love it!) However, as someone who's not that knowledgeable about how to install mods, and make modifications, et cetera, one of the things I've always liked about the FTB launcher is that I just click the "Launch" button and it downloads and installs and all of that. With this new client, are we basically going to have this same type of feature? I understand alot of things are still in development, but like others, I would like some kind of rough guesstimate.

Another question I have, is in regards to how well the Curse client is going to work for someone on an older system. For example, I play on an older laptop. Launchers like the ATLauncher are nice and all, as it is nice to customize packs from time to time, and have that large selection, but on my computer, the packs ran through that are simply so laggy that they're unplayable, thus knocking me out of playing most of their packs despite my desire to do so. When some of the lighter packs work, they crash ususally after I've played for around an hour. Now I don't understand all of the technical jargon, but I understand enough to know that the launcher combined with the packs is rather resource intensive, and for someone like me who cannot afford to upgrade their pc in order to continue to play a game they love dearly, it really is disheartening. I do understand that hardware requirements increase tremendously, I ask if this Curse client will be on equal or fairly similar to resource requirements of the FTB launcher as it currently is? I have had no issues with this launcher, as far as being able to play or run or download any of the packs I wish to play so far, and would like to be able to continue to do so.

Again, apologies if this seems to be of an odd question or two to ask here, but as I've not found the answer elsewhere, I figured I'd ask here. Most people seem to be concerned as to if it will work on Linux, or how it will affect modders, and while I worry about the modders too, as without their creations I'd have lost interest in Minecraft long ago, I simply worry about how it will affect my ability to play the game. I could care less about ads on the client, I just want to be able to continue to easily install and play my games.

Thanks

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Apologies if this seems like an odd comment, but as someone who's not that knowledgeable about modding or the Curse client or any of that, I simply have a few questions in regards to this merger thing that I simply haven't found answers to. Perhaps I've overlooked them, perhaps they've not been discussed, I'm just not sure.

When I play Minecraft, 99.9% of the time, it's by myself, and it's either in Agrarian Skies or in the DW20 pack, tho mostly in Agrarian Skies. (Thank you Jaded and your team for making such an amazingly addicting pack!!!! I love it!) However, as someone who's not that knowledgeable about how to install mods, and make modifications, et cetera, one of the things I've always liked about the FTB launcher is that I just click the "Launch" button and it downloads and installs and all of that. With this new client, are we basically going to have this same type of feature? I understand alot of things are still in development, but like others, I would like some kind of rough guesstimate.

Another question I have, is in regards to how well the Curse client is going to work for someone on an older system. For example, I play on an older laptop. Launchers like the ATLauncher are nice and all, as it is nice to customize packs from time to time, and have that large selection, but on my computer, the packs ran through that are simply so laggy that they're unplayable, thus knocking me out of playing most of their packs despite my desire to do so. When some of the lighter packs work, they crash ususally after I've played for around an hour. Now I don't understand all of the technical jargon, but I understand enough to know that the launcher combined with the packs is rather resource intensive, and for someone like me who cannot afford to upgrade their pc in order to continue to play a game they love dearly, it really is disheartening. I do understand that hardware requirements increase tremendously, I ask if this Curse client will be on equal or fairly similar to resource requirements of the FTB launcher as it currently is? I have had no issues with this launcher, as far as being able to play or run or download any of the packs I wish to play so far, and would like to be able to continue to do so.

Again, apologies if this seems to be of an odd question or two to ask here, but as I've not found the answer elsewhere, I figured I'd ask here. Most people seem to be concerned as to if it will work on Linux, or how it will affect modders, and while I worry about the modders too, as without their creations I'd have lost interest in Minecraft long ago, I simply worry about how it will affect my ability to play the game. I could care less about ads on the client, I just want to be able to continue to easily install and play my games.

Thanks

Yes the client will have the one click install ability.

Until its made its hard to say how lightweight it will be, but I tend to argue fairly heavily for things to be lighter. So hopefully if I shout loud enough it will stay in the lighter category.

Reactions: Beeze23

KrixxisKai

Jul 29, 2019
Yes the client will have the one click install ability.

Until its made its hard to say how lightweight it will be, but I tend to argue fairly heavily for things to be lighter. So hopefully if I shout loud enough it will stay in the lighter category.

Awesome!Thank you for the speedy reply as well! ^_^ I understand about not being able to guarantee things until their done, but just knowing that y'all are trying to get it to be on the lighter side of things soothes my mind. Knowing also that it will be a one click install like the current ftb launcher is a big relief as well, and that's all that matters to me.

Thanks again, and keep being amazing.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
So what's with the FTB and curse? Been absent for almost a month and missed all the news :(

Is it online now or not yet? Since I downloaded the curse client but can't add ftb launcher too it. Does I need to add the minecraft.exe?

ChatFawkes

Jul 29, 2019
So what's with the FTB and curse? Been absent for almost a month and missed all the news :(

Is it online now or not yet? Since I downloaded the curse client but can't add ftb launcher too it. Does I need to add the minecraft.exe?
The FTB Launcher is still well and alive. AFAIK no news has been posted related to Curse and FTB. However, in the past couple of months a lot of mods have moved to CurseForge to host their mods.

Reactions: reddvilzz

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB Launcher is still well and alive. AFAIK no news has been posted related to Curse and FTB. However, in the past couple of months a lot of mods have moved to CurseForge to host their mods.
So no integration of FTB to the curse just yet then?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
So no integration of FTB to the curse just yet then?

I haven't heard anything about the new launcher's progress either, and the current launcher is still being actively developed, which is what prompted me to finally contribute to it as well. It's a pretty good piece of software, still with future potential, is cross-platform, and some smart fellows working on it, so I'm really in no hurry to switch.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't heard anything about the new launcher's progress either, and the current launcher is still being actively developed, which is what prompted me to finally contribute to it as well. It's a pretty good piece of software, still with future potential, is cross-platform, and some smart fellows working on it, so I'm really in no hurry to switch.
They said they would finish launcher 2.0 before moving to curse, right?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
They said they would finish launcher 2.0 before moving to curse, right?
We are no longer developing the 2.0 launcher. We are continuing development on the current launcher until the Curse client is ready, tested and we are happy to switch to it. So for now at least we are going to be continuing development on the current launcher. I've got a few cool features that I hope to add soon!