FTB Continuum Release

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
Read the reply to Magzie.
I think that a lot of really impressive packs came out since IE:E got the ball rolling on showing (many of) us what can be done by making the pack itself lord over the progression not individual mods.
Subsequently many people did so much amazing work.
We owe FTB a lot, without them I know for a fact modded MC would not be where it is.
I want to see them do it again, I want them to push it.
This pack, however much I personally just love playing MC, is just not taking people by storm and is (pretty much factually) not the most impressive piece of work out there.
Pretending it is is disrespectful to the people who are also working hard out there.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I replied in his own words.
I do not like that sentiment either but sometimes you are just not interested to pursue it any further.
There is a difference between actual criticism and "modern standards" which is what I was talking about when I said "If you don't like this pack, then go play another". Not this pack as a whole

The poster did not raise a question, at least not in a form I am willing to discuss.
Maybe standards is the wrong word but I like the quality implications that it has.
My question was raised, "What are the standards?". You ignored it and took something I said out of context instead of explaining what you meant.

I just think that if you look at other packs that have come out it is hard to argue that FTB has been pushing the envelope with this one.
This has started as a 1.10 pack. This much is a fact. This has not been a continuous work over the last 2 years, that much is obvious too (and would have not been possible technologically).
All I am saying is if they start a fresh design on a pack with all that stuff that we now have in the "modpack community" in terms of technology, experience and different approaches I am hoping to see something major out of FTB.
Kinda feels like it's their turn to show they are still on the forefront.
EFab was an attempt at that. While I dislike the design of that, it was something different, something that comes out of design 101 of a shitty freemium game, and overall kinda terrible. That I will admit. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. What I took issue with is your idea of "modern standards" which to me sounds like 'This pack isn't like this pack so there for it's not good and follows standards" which is what my original post was referring to.

He is stating an obvious fact or he is passive aggressively trying to bar criticism.
I'm more so doing the former. Everything deserves to be criticised. I am also very critical of this pack. I think EFab is terrible and has game design that comes straight out of a shitty freemium phone game... or Warframe. But I have to give brownie points where it's due. EFab is at least.. different. It's a different approach to expert packs, which when every other expert pack I've seen that isn't aged based (I.E AoE, SevTech) it tried something different, which is why I say "If it's not for you, then go play something else".

This pack, however much I personally just love playing MC, is just not taking people by storm and is (pretty much factually) not the most impressive piece of work out there.
Pretending it is is disrespectful to the people who are also working hard out there.
Continuum is probably one of their worst packs. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I think it's mod list is generic and EFab is terrible. But, it's innovative, as much as I don't like. It's done something different than other packs, where as others just gate things or make recipes more grindy, it found a way to make they added an element that was not found in other packs and innovated, and attempted to make something cool. Some like it, others dont. To say that it's not impressive, especially since FTB has been cut and paste since 1.4.7, is disrespectful to FTB. And this is coming from someone who's been really critical of their packs for years since probably Monster. They actually innovated from their formula since 1.4.7 and created something different. Like the experimental packs they made in 1.7.10 that most people ignored. (Departed, Trident, Inventions, Resurrection), but as a main flagship pack.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I replied in his own words.
I do not like that sentiment either but sometimes you are just not interested to pursue it any further.

The poster did not raise a question, at least not in a form I am willing to discuss.
Maybe standards is the wrong word but I like the quality implications that it has.
To me the AoE similarities are quite obvious and this pack would roughly fall into that time frame as well were it released when it was first planned.
Group progression gating in named "ages"/stages/tiers or don't that is not what I am talking about.

I just think that if you look at other packs that have come out it is hard to argue that FTB has been pushing the envelope with this one.
This has started as a 1.10 pack. This much is a fact. This has not been a continuous work over the last 2 years, that much is obvious too (and would have not been possible technologically).
All I am saying is if they start a fresh design on a pack with all that stuff that we now have in the "modpack community" in terms of technology, experience and different approaches I am hoping to see something major out of FTB.
Kinda feels like it's their turn to show they are still on the forefront.
Ok here is my problem. You keep comparing, like many other have, AOE pack to Continuum and on that comparison you keep stating That it would be better when it was first planned. But They were both 1.10 pack in the planning stages. I don't want blanket statements. If you don't like the pack and want to give feed back "be more like AOE" doesn't really help the devs. I would like to see actually complaints about this pack. not comparisons of two packs that are different in there progression ideas. Saying time gates dumb and shouldn't be used isn't helpful. I don't see anyone complaining that Coal coke takes 2.5 minutes to make. If the Coke oven had a Timer and a start button would that make the time it takes dumb. How about a list of items from the start of the pack to the end game of the pack that you think could be changed to improve the pack. I mean they are working on the Expert Skyblock next right. I think being a bit more specific would be a great help to the FTB team as the read these comments.

Reactions: Lyra_Chan

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
Ok here is my problem. You keep comparing, like many other have, AOE pack to Continuum and on that comparison you keep stating That it would be better when it was first planned. But They were both 1.10 pack in the planning stages. I don't want blanket statements. If you don't like the pack and want to give feed back "be more like AOE" doesn't really help the devs. I would like to see actually complaints about this pack. not comparisons of two packs that are different in there progression ideas. Saying time gates dumb and shouldn't be used isn't helpful. I don't see anyone complaining that Coal coke takes 2.5 minutes to make. If the Coke oven had a Timer and a start button would that make the time it takes dumb. How about a list of items from the start of the pack to the end game of the pack that you think could be changed to improve the pack. I mean they are working on the Expert Skyblock next right. I think being a bit more specific would be a great help to the FTB team as the read these comments.

If anything what I am saying is be less like AoE.
E:I have literally always said it should have been a 1.10 pack.
That there is to this day absolutely no reason they have ever said why it was not actually worked on and released at the time. 1.11 never happend for packs and 1.12 took till just a couple months ago to finally be ready for good packs.

I also challenge you to quote me evercomplaining about time gates.
They are here and always have been. I don't like them but that's how it is.
I used some Steves Carts for early game tree farming as I do often. That is quite the wait.

Is a Skyblock version of this confirmed to be next?
I am saying that I want to see a pack that was originally made to be a 1.12 pack with all the bells and whistles rather than a project that was dead for the longest time.
That thing is finally out the door now. On to bigger and better things I say and people are getting upset about it.

E: I do however plan to post some thoughts on what liked and disliked once I actually FINISH it (rather than whining about it like so many right at release).

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
If anything what I am saying is be less like AoE.
E:I have literally always said it should have been a 1.10 pack.
That there is to this day absolutely no reason they have ever said why it was not actually worked on and released at the time. 1.11 never happend for packs and 1.12 took till just a couple months ago to finally be ready for good packs.

I also challenge you to quote me evercomplaining about time gates.
They are here and always have been. I don't like them but that's how it is.
I used some Steves Carts for early game tree farming as I do often. That is quite the wait.

Is a Skyblock version of this confirmed to be next?
I am saying that I want to see a pack that was originally made to be a 1.12 pack with all the bells and whistles rather than a project that was dead for the longest time.
That thing is finally out the door now. On to bigger and better things I say and people are getting upset about it.

E: I do however plan to post some thoughts on what liked and disliked once I actually FINISH it (rather than whining about it like so many right at release).
Ok SO That was an Example of non helpful comments. I wasn't saying you said that just why that type of Examples were not helpfull. Also On the first page you talk about not being a fan of Time gate but I don't think that was a on hands comment and don't think it saying anything against Efab.

Also in the OP the say "Future modpacks

Next up for development is a rework of FTB Revelations, with new mods and lots of changes. After that, we'll be working on a new skyblock pack based on Revelations."

I assumed that meant some kind of expert type Progression pack and not a Kitchensink type one with no progression but we might have to wait to see what "rework of FTB Revelations" means.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
There is a difference between actual criticism and "modern standards" which is what I was talking about when I said "If you don't like this pack, then go play another". Not this pack as a whole

My question was raised, "What are the standards?". You ignored it and took something I said out of context instead of explaining what you meant.

EFab was an attempt at that. While I dislike the design of that, it was something different, something that comes out of design 101 of a shitty freemium game, and overall kinda terrible. That I will admit. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. What I took issue with is your idea of "modern standards" which to me sounds like 'This pack isn't like this pack so there for it's not good and follows standards" which is what my original post was referring to.

I'm more so doing the former. Everything deserves to be criticised. I am also very critical of this pack. I think EFab is terrible and has game design that comes straight out of a shitty freemium phone game... or Warframe. But I have to give brownie points where it's due. EFab is at least.. different. It's a different approach to expert packs, which when every other expert pack I've seen that isn't aged based (I.E AoE, SevTech) it tried something different, which is why I say "If it's not for you, then go play something else".

Continuum is probably one of their worst packs. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I think it's mod list is generic and EFab is terrible. But, it's innovative, as much as I don't like. It's done something different than other packs, where as others just gate things or make recipes more grindy, it found a way to make they added an element that was not found in other packs and innovated, and attempted to make something cool. Some like it, others dont. To say that it's not impressive, especially since FTB has been cut and paste since 1.4.7, is disrespectful to FTB. And this is coming from someone who's been really critical of their packs for years since probably Monster. They actually innovated from their formula since 1.4.7 and created something different. Like the experimental packs they made in 1.7.10 that most people ignored. (Departed, Trident, Inventions, Resurrection), but as a main flagship pack.
Hey @Lyra_Chan, you've said a few things here about EFab, and if its OK I'd like to try and pick up on what it is about it that bothers you - more particularly, whether it is the mod itself that you think is terrible, or its implementation?

From what I've seen of it so far, the mod itself has a lot of potential - as Xavion and Kuktar have mentioned, there is hook-ins for botania's mana; what else could be in there? What else could be added later? It seems like there is real opportunities for it to be used in an interesting way, with magical stuff too! Don't forget, its a blank slate - its the recipes that are implemented by the pack makers that define how it behaves with the rest of the pack.

As I may have mentioned, I was having thoughts about this after discussion with some other folks; imagine if EFab was used to give you a more convenient/cheaper way of making things later on - so crafts which are tedious by hand could be a lot more straightforward once you've teched up to make them in the EFab, as an example? imagine if you had a metalworking module and latex storage, so instead of having to hammer out plates, cut into wires and cover with rubber, you put in the raw materials and the gives you your circuits - but you have to do it by hand to start with? This is just one idea (and probably not a great one), but do you get where I'm coming from?

One of the thoughts I had was that one of the interesting things about IE:E was the different mechanisms for crafting items that magical mods introduced. Having to make things in a range of different ways was challenging! I feel like the EFab in Continuum was an attempt to do that without the need for magical mods; you need different bits for different types of crafts. I'm not saying how it was done in the pack was the best way of going about it, but that's what I think they were going for.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

One of the problems that I have (as the author of EFab) is that people seem to equate EFab with slow crafting times. Please don't make that connection. That's just how the EFab is used in Continuum. EFab is about crafting with multiple resources. i.e. you can define recipes that use materials, liquids, steam, energy, and even mana if botania is available. *THAT* is what EFab is about.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
One of the problems that I have (as the author of EFab) is that people seem to equate EFab with slow crafting times. Please don't make that connection. That's just how the EFab is used in Continuum. EFab is about crafting with multiple resources. i.e. you can define recipes that use materials, liquids, steam, energy, and even mana if botania is available. *THAT* is what EFab is about.
This.

@McJty Would it be spoilers to ask if any other mod hook-ins are being considered apart from Botania's mana?

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
At this moment none but feel free to make suggestions

Can we please get a muffler block? Especially with the power optimizer it can become quite intrusive.
Or make it so that current muffler blocks work on the EFAB.

Also it would be nice to have a block (like the optimizer) that lifts the 4 gearbox limit, or an upgraded gearbox block.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Can we please get a muffler block? Especially with the power optimizer it can become quite intrusive.

Also it would be nice to have a block (like the optimizer) that lifts the 4 gearbox limit, or an upgraded gearbox block.
I would guess most of the limits would be from ftb team. You could take a look at the config file and what options are there. Also as a tip you can just turn the block sound volume down and it will reduce the efab sound. I have tested this.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Note that you can edit the sound volume in the config.

I have considered something like a mechanical optimizer to do just that. Not exactly sure how yet

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Is there some kind of auto walk in the pack cause my toon keeps randomly walking forward or backwards with out having to press any buttons and it is really annoying? I'm going to try and restart it and see if that fixes it? It did it is Revelations also.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Is there some kind of auto walk in the pack cause my toon keeps randomly walking forward or backwards with out having to press any buttons and it is really annoying? I'm going to try and restart it and see if that fixes it? It did it is Revelations also.
Happened in Automaton too. It has to be a 1.12 or 1.12 forge bug.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
look They actually added magic mods into revelations pack that makes what 4 magic mods now...rofl!

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Thank you for adding Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Twilight Forest and Ender IO in the Revelation pack! Awesome update. Now it is finally time to move on from my 1.7.10 save :D

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Hey I was trying to make Bloodwood Fences for my house build but the recipe take bloodwood sticks which can't be made because the recipe is ore dic for the reg Presure plate. FYI most likely all the Natura wood will need changed.