FTB Beyond Town Hall

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
It is more that we know the update to 1.11 from 1.10 is not that disruptive and it should be a fairly straightforward update/port for most, if not all of the mods in the pack.
TiCo is only 1.10 so it would be gone. TE is only 1.10 it just got added. Thaumcraft wouldn't be out as it is still updating to 1.10 and would be ready for some time for 1.11. Ender IO is .1.10. The pack as we knopw it would change completely. There is no point in updating to 1.11 right now or any time soon. maybe in like 6 months or next year. Here is the question you guys need to ask your selves. " Are we updating to 1.11 because it is what is best for FTB modded minecraft and the community or are we just updating cause we can and want to?" Cause where some of us stand it seems like it is cause you can... Food for thought.

Last edited:
K

KiloFox0918

TiCo is only 1.10 so it would be gone. TE is only 1.10 it just got added. Thaumcraft wouldn't be out as it is still updating to 1.10 and would be ready for some time for 1.11. Ender IO is .1.10. The pack as we knopw it would change completely. There is no point in updating to 1.11 right now or any time soon. maybe in like 6 months or next year. Here is the question you guys need to ask your selves. " Are we updating to 1.11 because it is what is best for FTB modded minecraft and the community or are we just updating cause we can and want to?" Cause where some of us stand it seems like it is cause you can... Food for thought.
You could always just stick to the pack you like until those mods get added lol. Just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Beyond Expert isn't going to be out for a least several more months. There is still time for those mods to also update to 1.11 and as some people has stated. Besides the itemstack changes porting to 1.11 is *not* complicated.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
You could always just stick to the pack you like until those mods get added lol. Just saying.

Um you could always discussion the issue at hand instead of suggesting I not play. :)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Beyond Expert isn't going to be out for a least several more months. There is still time for those mods to also update to 1.11 and as some people has stated. Besides the itemstack changes porting to 1.11 is *not* complicated.
TE isn't even fully updated and they are still working on the pipes there is no way they are updating in 2 months. Thaumcraft is still working on 1.10 he isn't going to just say screw and start working on 1.11 because people want to update for no reason what so ever. Why is it that they should go to 1.11 so soon not cause they are told cause they don't work for FTB. I think it is very obtuse for someone to thiunk m,od devs should update just because they want them too.

K

KiloFox0918

Um you could always discussion the issue at hand instead of suggesting I not play. :)
I just suggest not playing a version of the game you either dont enjoy or find upsetting. Didnt mean to offend or suggest alienation.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I just suggest not playing a version of the game you either dont enjoy or find upsetting. Didnt mean to offend or suggest alienation.

I don't find 1.11 upsetting. I find the move to 1.11 right with the lack of stable mods and staple ftb mods upsetting. The discussion is whether they should push to update to the next version because they can or should they consider what is best for the modded Communty as a whole. Which right now is to stick with 1.10 and let the mod devs move to 1.11 in their own time.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I don't find 1.11 upsetting. I find the move to 1.11 right with the lack of stable mods and staple ftb mods upsetting. The discussion is whether they should push to update to the next version because they can or should they consider what is best for the modded Communty as a whole. Which right now is to stick with 1.10 and let the mod devs move to 1.11 in their own time.
And I trust them to do what is right to make a stable pack. They said multiple times that the 1.11 goal is very dependent on the mods. But it is what they would like to do. But, it may not happen if the mods aren't there.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
@Magzie i believe KL has already said that porting to 1.11 wouldn't be much work for TE. By declaring our intent to move to 1.11 now, the hope is the remaining mods stuck in 1.10 land will port to 1.11 sooner rather than later. This is not a bad thing at all.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The best thing about 1.7 was that all the mods from 1.6 had time to grow and evolve if you keep updating to the next version for no reason you will never have the mods grow. Even if you update to 1.11 at some point you are going to have to stop at a version and let the mods grow. right now it is all they can do to keep them updated to the next version. It is a never ending cycle you have gotten you self into over there. Right now 1.10 is a nice safe point just to set around and let mods catch up. I know i'm only one posting on this issue but trust me people are tired of this cycle and want a nice steady stable version of modded for at least a year or so.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
And I trust them to do what is right to make a stable pack. They said multiple times that the 1.11 goal is very dependent on the mods. But it is what they would like to do. But, it may not happen if the mods aren't there.
I understand all those points but mine still stands. They shouldn't be pushing mod devs to move to the next version they should be working with the most stable version with the most stable mods which isn't 1.11.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The best thing about 1.7 was that all the mods from 1.6 had time to grow and evolve if you keep updating to the next version for no reason you will never have the mods grow. Even if you update to 1.11 at some point you are going to have to stop at a version and let the mods grow. right now it is all they can do to keep them updated to the next version. It is a never ending cycle you have gotten you self into over there. Right now 1.10 is a nice safe point just to set around and let mods catch up. I know i'm only one posting on this issue but trust me people are tired of this cycle and want a nice steady stable version of modded for at least a year or so.

You are trying to make an argument on behalf of mod developers, while taking a stance opposite to the 2 mod developers who are replying to you. Minecraft is continually evolving, there are Vanilla bugs that won't be getting fixed in 1.10 for instance, plus Forge support for 1.10 won't be around for very much longer. I take the view that we should be using the latest version we can, as long as it has enough content to produce a decent pack.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
You are trying to make an argument on behalf of mod developers, while taking a stance opposite to the 2 mod developers who are replying to you. Minecraft is continually evolving, there are Vanilla bugs that won't be getting fixed in 1.10 for instance, plus Forge support for 1.10 won't be around for very much longer. I take the view that we should be using the latest version we can, as long as it has enough content to produce a decent pack.
So forge is going for their final release of 1.10. That doesn't mean you have to stop make packs using forge they even say they will do updates if world breaking things. All I know is we keep getting promised one thing and then boom, "sorry guys next version."

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I understand all those points but mine still stands. They shouldn't be pushing mod devs to move to the next version they should be working with the most stable version with the most stable mods which isn't 1.11.

Problem with that attitude is that that slows down adoption of the latest version. It is much better IMHO to push more into upgrading to the latest. Especially in this case where the upgrade isn't that hard to do really. All my mods work on 1.10 and 1.11 at the same time so the changes are not *that* massive

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
In 1.7 the late release for forge was June 9 2015. You guys at FTB did your final release notice on Jan 16 2016 and started development on 1.8 packs. you released the first pack in Dec 2016. It was 1.10. I mean that it's really fair cause you still released a few more packs after that. Skyblock is an example. Over a year after forge release. Just look down the new pages for god sake. moving 1.8> moving to 1.9> moving to 1.10. We waited what 6-7 months for a 1.10 release and then after your flag ship pack is released and after all the promised packs we moving maybe again. What does that say the the people the use and support your hard work at FTB.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
In 1.7 the late release for forge was June 9 2015. You guys at FTB did your final release notice on Jan 16 2016 and started development on 1.8 packs. you released the first pack in Dec 2016. It was 1.10. I mean that it's really fair cause you still released a few more packs after that. Skyblock is an example. Over a year after forge release. Just look down the new pages for god sake. moving 1.8> moving to 1.9> moving to 1.10. We waited what 6-7 months for a 1.10 release and then after your flag ship pack is released and after all the promised packs we moving maybe again. What does that say the the people the use and support your hard work at FTB.

What exactly is the problem with moving from 1.10.2 to 1.11.2? It is not as if that much changed really. It is not really valid to compare that with the situation from 1.7.10 to 1.8 and beyond as then the changes were massive. But this time it is easy. There is practically no reason to not update.

Reactions: Quetzi

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
1. The root of the problem here seems to be that Vanilla updates way too frequently. If it was only bug fixes, that'd be a different story. If it changed a lot per update, it would be as well. However, as it stands, most vanilla changes between major versions don't really warrant a major update.
1.9 - 1.11 could have easily been condensed into one update.
2. I think it's a good idea for FTB to have at least one or two ventures in the latest Minecraft version at all times. (As in: with very unstable packs that mods get added to and sometimes removed from, all the time.) To satisfy the whiny kids.
3. I think FTB should maintain at least one modpack at the latest stable (with a, lot out-of-beta) Minecraft version, ergo 1.7.10. (Seriously though, 1.10.2 is fine for that.)

Sent from my torture dungeon in the hills of Mumbai.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
What exactly is the problem with moving from 1.10.2 to 1.11.2? It is not as if that much changed really. It is not really valid to compare that with the situation from 1.7.10 to 1.8 and beyond as then the changes were massive. But this time it is easy. There is practically no reason to not update.
I'm glad you brought that up. The difference is 1.8 never had a released FTB pack. Nor did 1.9. It wasn't because they were not good versions or that there was no forge. It was because they could update to the next version "super easy" Only all those alpha packs that got tested on all those versions never got played by the community the packs were being made for. Right now if they update to 1.11 even if it is super clean that is going to add to development time. Not to add in the fact we were already promised this would be the version for a while and that we we getting 3 maybe more 1.10 packs. Why not update is question of the day. What are you updating for. There really isn't anything in 1.11 that would be a good reason to update. You can use the current released forge version and still have stable packs. Al the work FTB has done for 1.10 will go down the drain. right now it will take 4 months or so to finish and released the 2 packs they wanted for 1.10 and then start developing 1.11 packs. By then 1.11 modded will be stable and there will be more selection of mods in 4-5 months. There is no point right now in going to 1.11. 2 mod dev doesn't equal the every mod dev out there. I have look at all the mods in beyond on curse I know how many don't have 1.11 versions. It isn't just 2 or 3. Someone explain how "we should cause we can" is a valid argument? I'm going to try that one on my wife next time she says she has a headache. If you already planned on 1.10 packs and 1.11 modded will be more stable in 5 months with more mods updated why update now. I will also point out that in my org point on this I posted that updating would be fine but that they would need to move beyond to 1.11 also or it is a wasted flag ship pack. I mean you are still waiting for 1.10 mods for God sake.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm glad you brought that up. The difference is 1.8 never had a released FTB pack. Nor did 1.9. It wasn't because they were not good versions or that there was no forge. It was because they could update to the next version "super easy" Only all those alpha packs that got tested on all those versions never got played by the community the packs were being made for. Right now if they update to 1.11 even if it is super clean that is going to add to development time. Not to add in the fact we were already promised this would be the version for a while and that we we getting 3 maybe more 1.10 packs. Why not update is question of the day. What are you updating for. There really isn't anything in 1.11 that would be a good reason to update. You can use the current released forge version and still have stable packs. Al the work FTB has done for 1.10 will go down the drain. right now it will take 4 months or so to finish and released the 2 packs they wanted for 1.10 and then start developing 1.11 packs. By then 1.11 modded will be stable and there will be more selection of mods in 4-5. There is no point right now in going to 1.11. 2 mod dev doesn't equal the every mod dev out there. I have look at all the mods in beyond on curse I know how many don't have 1.11 versions. It isn't just 2 or 3. Someone explain how "we should cause we can" is a valid argument? I'm going to try that one on my wife next time she says she has a headache. If you already planned on 1.10 packs and 1.11 modded will be more stable in 5 months with more mods updated why update now. I will also point out that in my org point on this I posted that updating would be fine but that they would need to move beyond to 1.11 also or it is a wasted flag ship pack. I mean you are still waiting for 1.10 mods for God sake.

Reasons to update:
  • Forge for 1.11 is getting updates, forge for 1.10 only really critical updates
  • Vanilla code in 1.11 is cleaner in many places
  • Vanilla new features (mansions, ...)
  • Updating now makes future transitions easier. Updating accross multiple versions is usually pretty hard

Some other points:
  • Work that FTB is doing for 1.10 is still valid for 1.11. Why would it go down the drain? 1.11 is not that different from 1.10
  • We are not updating to 1.11 now. FTB Beyond Expert is still a few montsh from now at least
  • It still isn't 100% certain that FTB Beyond Export will be for 1.11 but it is a worthwhile goal to try to reach if possible IMHO
Anyway, I think it is better to close this discussion as most of the arguments are subjective and people tend to have other opinions.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Reasons to update:
  • Forge for 1.11 is getting updates, forge for 1.10 only really critical updates
  • Vanilla code in 1.11 is cleaner in many places
  • Vanilla new features (mansions, ...)
  • Updating now makes future transitions easier. Updating accross multiple versions is usually pretty hard

Some other points:
  • Work that FTB is doing for 1.10 is still valid for 1.11. Why would it go down the drain? 1.11 is not that different from 1.10
  • We are not updating to 1.11 now. FTB Beyond Expert is still a few montsh from now at least
  • It still isn't 100% certain that FTB Beyond Export will be for 1.11 but it is a worthwhile goal to try to reach if possible IMHO
Anyway, I think it is better to close this discussion as most of the arguments are subjective and people tend to have other opinions.
Well I think more people should be posting their opinions on this as it has been a ongoing problem. They said they want people feed back on the issue. I am not attacking people only having a discussion. I made good points and you and Quetzi also have made good points. I respect you both. I respect FTB. I will not stop producing my Quick start guides or stop help forum Community members when possible ether way. I do think that if there is something I see as wrong I speak up good or bad.

Reason Not to updated:
- More Mod selection
- Forge will still be stable for the next 5 or so months with critical updates.
-Already plan 1.10.
-you can go over the top on the 1.11 packs when you do update
-Since 1.10 and 1.11 are so close more dev time with 1.10 will make mod packs for 1.11 easier.
- Will have stopped the "Must update" cycle the community is so tired of.

Reason to update: ( for me)
-search command
-Exhaustion changes.
-2 new villagers