FTB and Forge - Curse Partnership.

Discussion in 'Feed the Beast News' started by slowpoke, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwillb

bwillb Well-Known Member

Curse? Prepare For Malware!
    Well, at least the other launchers will get a time to shine again.

Dorque, immibis, DZCreeper and 2 others like this.
  2. Munaus

Munaus Well-Known Member

I'll just silently pray that this forum wont be slowly digested from inside out by Curse, and the FTB moderators I like and trust be replaced by Curse's kindergarden moderators.

The idea of Slow and LexManos only being advisors is scary. To me, advisor = no real power over decision-making
    Advisors can say stuff, but who says that Curse will listen and respect your decisions?

I can also fully understand why you need to do this Slow, I did take the time to read the OP.

I just get a bad vibe from this...

Tzukasa, Dorque, Flipz and 4 others like this.
  3. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Forum Addict

I'm having diarrhea right now, so I read the news in the toilet.
    I shat myself so hard, and not because of diarrhea.
    Oh boy, Curse... I've seen mummies with better curses than that.
    *rimshot*

4. Azzanine

Azzanine Forum Addict

Ohh wait I DLed ATL a while ago. I was playing Resonant Rise but stopped as I could find no good Aussi servers.
    Curse better not dick around AT ALL with how FTB runs. Sure change is a thing and it sometimes needs to happen but people still hate it with a passion, irrationally so. I also hope Curse keeps their forum BS away from this, you know how I used the word DICK in this comment? Wont be able to do that when this forum merges with Curse which I might add is a fucking eye wateringly ironic name... I'm usually a tame forum goer but I have had many many infraction notices for insulting but innocuous stuff. You can't even call a troll a troll there... It's silly. I don't post there as often becasue I have to be WAY too careful with what I type.

Tzukasa, Dorque and Padfoote like this.
  5. Vicerious

Vicerious Active Member

This news does not fill me with confidence. Way back in the day, I used WoWace and WoWmatrix to manage my World of Warcraft addons. Then Curse ate WoWace. And then Curse blocked access to WoWmatrix on release day of a major expansion and just so happened to also release the beta of their own addon manager. Clearly dirty pool. Add to that all the many, many occasions of the Curse client being abused to deliver malware and, well, let's just leave it at the fact I'm still using WoWmatrix exclusively.

Unless there's a big turnaroud, the day this CurseForge client comes out is the day I stop using FTB.

Dorque, immibis and Padfoote like this.
  6. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Forum Addict

I'm just wondering what will eat Curse - EA?

Dorque, Mevansuto, BIG mac and 2 others like this.
  7. JunkyPic

JunkyPic Active Member

Seems fitting.

Dorque likes this.
  8. Azzanine

Azzanine Forum Addict

No EA wouldn't eat them. They's buy them out just so they can kill the modding scene. For what game you ask... all of them... Even games they have nothing to do with. Mods cut in to DLC revenue, aparently.

Dorque, Khayn, Padfoote and 1 other person like this.
  9. KyleKrafter

KyleKrafter Active Member

So the mods and the launcher will still be free to the user. Just the mods and launcher? So where does curse play its card to get money out of all of this? I am all for the success of the people who put hard work into there mods. But in 6 months, if were going to be riddled with payments and ads from curse to go premium just play minecraft or modded minecraft. I for one will say. Bad move, really really bad. I will keep using the other launchers that provide superior accessibility and performance, without the need for a money making site and 6 months worth of waiting to actually see how much money they want.

My opinion is that they should not mess with what already works fine. I understand that life gets in the way of development. But that is life. If your developing, and life gets in the way. OH WELL life is more important. There is really no reason for this change. Just that most of the work will be given to curse while Slow and Lex watch as everything they worked for falls apart because of curse. I am accustomed to change, that part doesn't bother me. Its the fact that there handing it over to a site...who's credibility is like looking at dried up pile of dog crap. Sorry Slow and Sorry Lex, but this is a dumb idea.

Dorque and Padfoote like this.
  10. Siigari

Siigari Well-Known Member

Do not want! Curse is just seeking out the little guys right now to add them to their network to generate revenue by spammy ads and they slow down my website experience. I do not want our FTB experience mixed up with Curse!

edit: Our forums are moving to minecraftforum.net? Those forums are disgusting. Signatures as tall as some posts, often and no finesse to any of it. I much prefer our independent community. Not saying I don't appreciate growth but those forums are honestly visual diarrhea.

Tzukasa, Dorque, Ryan784 and 6 others like this.
  11. un worry

un worry Well-Known Member

Though there are several wikis (in different states of completeness and accuracy), this forum is arguably one of the most valuable assets for the community. Mods are constantly changing and accurate information is often hard to find, so this site has become an important resource for many people. I would hate to see its quality and value decline as a result of these change.

groundhog, Tzukasa, Dorque and 4 others like this.
  12. BananaSplit2

BananaSplit2 Active Member

I'm starting to lose faith in FTB. Curse look no better than a bunch of greedy persons spaming ads and their premium stuff everywhere. On the long term, this WILL be the demise of the nice community that is FTB

13. ApSciLiara

ApSciLiara Popular Member

I lost faith a long, long time ago. :p

Dorque, ThatOneSlowking and Mooseman9 like this.
  14. xbony2

xbony2 WikiWorker Wiki Staff FTB Mod Dev

This is going to turn out Wonderful, or this is going to turn out Horrible. That's all I know.

15. Mooseman9

Mooseman9 Member

Pretty much only a lose-lose situation.
    You're not alone.

16. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Forum Addict

Pray, my friends, so we shall see the light another day.
    FTB may fade away, but this community will never succumb.
    We are friends, we are family, we are one. We're not perfect, we fight each other, but we sure as heck aren't going down without doing something.
    That Modded Minecraft never dies!
    That this wonderful group of misfits live on!
    For our own freedom, and for our wallets!
    For they may only be drained out on Steam Sales and not premium shit!

17. Folanlron

Folanlron Well-Known Member

o, really.... curse is the biggest joke ever..... sorry but there garbage.

18. SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta Wiki Steam Witch Wiki Staff FTB Mod Dev ModMyMC Editor

If those annoying Curse popups start happening then the amount of activity from me on the forums will significantly drop. I assume the same for others as just about everyone I've talked to about curse and the MCF is "those ads lag me horribly and I can't use the site because of it"

Tzukasa, Dorque, Flipz and 1 other person like this.
  19. MoosyDoosy

MoosyDoosy Well-Known Member

Read the OP, understand the move, just hope all the ads and malware doesn't transfer over. Also, Slow and Lex, I wish you guys would fight for a position higher than "advisor." I doubt that the Curse team would listen to a mere "advisor." It would be another matter if you guys actually had power and I would go into this transition with my mind at rest knowing you two will do your best for all of us in the long run. Also, please make sure that these forums DON'T go away. You mentioned that the layout would be same, and I've been extremely enjoying the forums even though I'm a new member. Things I would like to see happen overall:
    1. No ads or malware. (or if that's really not an option, some ads are fine as long as they don't fill the whole launcher.)
    2. Slow and Lex should not, NOT be just "advisors." I don't know what kind of powers you guys will have, but that title just seems too weak.
    3. The forums must stay. They're awesome. They're clean. Everyone loves them.
    4. In the long run, more ads should not be added, and more power should not be taken away from Slow and Lex as well as our own forum moderators. If there's even a slightest hint that Curse is extending their evil hand, pull out.
    And as long as these four things are enacted upon I will be happy to support the change. Of course compromises will have to be made, but as long as its these things, I'm good. :)

Droideka30, kittle, Dorque and 4 others like this.
  20. Nathan2055

Nathan2055 New Member

I'm going to cross-post my response from Reddit here, since it sums up my concerns:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.