For those wondering if steam can be stored in tanks...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unionhawk

Jul 29, 2019
c29wTt9

Yes, apparently you can. Not sure if this is intended, but I find it funny that you can store steam in a standard buildcraft tank, which has always appeared to me to have an open top.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You can but there's no point whatsoever, leave it in the boiler until you need to use it.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Steam stored in tanks. Now only if their was a way to condense it and store huge quantities of steam in a sort of liquid form?!?!!?!?

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Just taking a shot in the dark.. But steam most likely is classified as a liquid... Hence why it works..

Don't think minecraft has a Vapor, or gas classification.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Just taking a shot in the dark.. But steam most likely is classified as a liquid... Hence why it works..

can you empty a bucket of steam on the ground?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019

There is actually a difference between liquids and gasses. Both can be transported by pipes/liquiducts and stored in any (so far) kind of tank, but pipes have much higher throughput when transporting gasses. Steam is a gas, as are several of the GregTech gasses (I am not absolutely sure which ones).

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
another point - steam is produced and used very quickly. A 36H boiler outputs 720 buckets of steam a tick. That's 14400 buckets steam a second. Every unit of a railcraft tank or of a normal BC tank is 16 buckets. even for a 9x9x8 railcraft tank, that's only 10368 buckets.A single industrial steam engine takes 40 steam a tick or 800 steam a second. A single industrial steam engine would empty a max size railcraft tank in 13 seconds.

Trying to store steam in any useful amount is absurd unless you just want it for decoration or if you want to complete a set.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
can you empty a bucket of steam on the ground?

You can't empty a bucket of milk, biomass or fuel on the ground either but those are very much liquids :)

Too bad really. I wish I could make a sea of biofuel and then set fire to it...

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, the LiquidAPI will make liquids placeable, from that I know, modmakers will be able to choose how fast/far it moves, if it is easy/hard to move in it, what happens when it touches other liquid, what effects gives if you touch it, etc.

honey sea FTW!

or dna pool... or maybe a new liquid "nuclear goo" that gets created if you dont control your reactor properly...

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I think that may be coming when the liquidAPI updates, not every liquid will have source blocks, but a few more can be placed in the world.
I think Gregtech has liquid Wolfram somewhere- personally I think a moat of molten tungsten is better than a moat of lava.​

Aside from that it makes even less sense from a physics perspective ;) But hey, we have floating blocks. If gravity doesn't always apply then neither should thermodynamics I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.