For those wondering if steam can be stored in tanks...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
The expression is "Beating a dead horse"

basically the horse is dead, but you are beating it to make it work for you, but it's dead.

it's when you keep bringing up an argument that has been refuted in order to try to make progress. it's like beating a dead horse.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
The expression is "Beating a dead horse"

basically the horse is dead, but you are beating it to make it work for you, but it's dead.

it's when you keep bringing up an argument that has been refuted in order to try to make progress. it's like beating a dead horse.
No, not that one, the one where someone does something before you, "they [something] you to it."

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
ah. They beat you to it.

different use of the word beat - in this case it means "they got there before you did" as in "runner 14 beat number 12 to the finish line"

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I love the English language. Few words, multiple meanings, multiple spellings, horrible grammar rules. Not to mention a boat load of idioms and colloquialism that make no sense outside of our language and culture.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
back on topic:

you can also store lava on an iron-glass tank, and move it in a gold + cactus pipe (not like any of those things are flammable or melted if touched by volcanic magma or something)

Minecr4ck

Jul 29, 2019
another point - steam is produced and used very quickly. A 36H boiler outputs 720 buckets of steam a tick. That's 14400 buckets steam a second. Every unit of a railcraft tank or of a normal BC tank is 16 buckets. even for a 9x9x8 railcraft tank, that's only 10368 buckets.A single industrial steam engine takes 40 steam a tick or 800 steam a second. A single industrial steam engine would empty a max size railcraft tank in 13 seconds.

Trying to store steam in any useful amount is absurd unless you just want it for decoration or if you want to complete a set.

Your calculations are off by a factor of 1000. Didn't you learn in Science class to always use UNITS when calculating. The railcraft tank you speak of holds 10,368 buckets. The industrial steam engine uses 40mb per tick. That is Millibuckets. If you convert the tank to mb that would equal 10,368,000 mb. At 800mb of use per second, it would take about 3.6 hours for one Industrial Steam Engine to deplete one max size Iron Tank. Clearly, using this as steam storage is quite useful. A steel tank with double the capacity would supply 7.2 hours. Not too shabby, IMO.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody ever fully responded, and since I was in search for the answer today on steam storage(which brought me to this forum page), I figured I'd answer it correctly. Thus, now anyone else in a similar situation will welcome my effort.
Your Welcome
Actually I'd suspect nobody cares, none of the current mods really have any large volume steam producers or consumers (and the railcraft tanks you are talking about haven't yet made it to the current version) and any numbers you are getting from older versions are likely to change. So putting numbers into a 4 year old thread for a 3 year out of date version of a mod is pretty much an exercise in pointlessness. You're welcome.
It also doesn't change the fact that storing steam in tanks is utterly pointless anyway, the railcraft boilers cannot ever be turned off in any case because of the heating time and the MFR boilers are idiotically efficient so to just leave them running is much more effective.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0
Status
Not open for further replies.