Mod Feedback Flaxbeard's Steam Power suggestion thread

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
How? within the mod it's self I can't find a good safety automatic valve solution. Sure externally I can use one of the many fake player right click machines (FZ robo arm does the trick) in conjunction with a comparator on a gauge to open a valve, but within the mod there's nothing but the rupture disc. At least nothing I could find.

Simplest design would be a 'deployer/breaker' combo. Halfway there with vanilla Flaxbeard considering the block placer is a WIP.
Though I feel these designs are a decent part of the game; they fit with the overall core mechanics of Minecraft (design/engineering/ingenuity)- as well as being somewhat more complex than a 'redstone control pipe'.​

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I'm not sure if this would fit the mod theme, but what if we could have like a mill? Big ole hulking gears everywhere or something, and requires either steam power or physical strength to power it. I just feel like a mill would be cool, but could also be extremely stupid.

Flaxbeard

Jul 29, 2019
How? within the mod it's self I can't find a good safety automatic valve solution. Sure externally I can use one of the many fake player right click machines (FZ robo arm does the trick) in conjunction with a comparator on a gauge to open a valve, but within the mod there's nothing but the rupture disc. At least nothing I could find.
Pistons + gauge + comparator

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Pistons + gauge + comparator
That actually works?!
LOL! such a brain dead simple solution yet It never even occurred to me. As I stated I was trying to use a autonomous activator and some ProjRed nonsense to get the thing to activate a valve pipe once.

I for some reason assumed that the steam would still leak out even if the pipe was pressed up against a block and never tried that.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just a minor thing, can the potion ID for cloaking be assigned automatically? Discovered at the weekend I had a conflict on potion IDs, took me a long time of trial and error to finally discover that it was FSP.

Reactions: 1SDAN

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
What about making the steam heater smelt blocks and items that are in front of it, consuming less steam to do so then in a furnace so as to encourage the creation of more interesting multi-block ovens, automated with pistons and block placers/item droppers?

Also, what about a way to convert steam directly into light, perhaps as a spotlight or something?
It works by burning vaporized water. Don't ask how.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
What about making the steam heater smelt blocks and items that are in front of it, consuming less steam to do so then in a furnace so as to encourage the creation of more interesting multi-block ovens, automated with pistons and block placers/item droppers?
The problem is we create our own Furnace tile entity so we can have custom smelting recipes for existing items, so I'm not sure how possible this would actually be. It also doesn't seem "balanced".
Also, what about a way to convert steam directly into light, perhaps as a spotlight or something?
It works by burning vaporized water. Don't ask how.
/me asks how

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my initial explanation when I first thought of that was to use some kind of extremely rapid compression of the steam to make some kind of pressure explosion, similar to the mantis shrimp's explosively-collapsing bubbles, but I figured that "Because gears" would probably be a better explanation then that.
Also, obviously whatever light it makes would be focused into a beam.

Alternatively, you could use something as a catalyst, such as calcium carbide. Dripping water on calcium carbide makes acetylene, which can be burned like any flammable gas. And steam is water. You could say that it requires steam for a regulation mechanism. Or because gears.
One issue with this, however, is that I am blatantly taking the calcium carbide idea from Greg's lighting, though it's not like he invented the idea either.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
wat. Please explain

Quartz creates charge when pressured. Put that with of redstone repeater and sufficient minecraft logic (glowstone, lapis, more redstone, daylight detector), and it doesn't seem too crazy. Basically coal heat-steam pressure- quartz charge- primitive light emmiting diode.

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
I also remember when I was a kid I used to be fascinated by the fact that when you struck 2 pieces of quartz together they would spark. Perhaps something simpler like that? Igniting a gas lamp with that spark? Or maybe a steam powered tumbler full of quartz with a steampunk lens that magnifies it.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Quartz creates charge when pressured. Put that with of redstone repeater and sufficient minecraft logic (glowstone, lapis, more redstone, daylight detector), and it doesn't seem too crazy. Basically coal heat-steam pressure- quartz charge- primitive light emmiting diode.
I also remember when I was a kid I used to be fascinated by the fact that when you struck 2 pieces of quartz together they would spark. Perhaps something simpler like that? Igniting a gas lamp with that spark? Or maybe a steam powered tumbler full of quartz with a steampunk lens that magnifies it.
But FSP doesn't add quartz D:
I suppose you could have something which would be a transparent tube with steam flowing through it, which had glowstone dust in it for lighting. Could be kinda neat.
I like this idea a lot.