Mod Feedback Flaxbeard's Steam Power suggestion thread

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
A boiler that integrates a blaze spawner and produces steam would be cool.

Are lava boilers already in?

Also, obligatory multi-block solar boilers, as well as boilers that require fire to be under them (netherrack) both of which produce relatively small but easily renewable steam power. Could be nice for resource sinks.

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
A boiler that integrates a blaze spawner and produces steam would be cool.

Are lava boilers already in?
Normal boilers can already run on lava buckets and blaze rods.
https://github.com/Flaxbeard/Flaxbe...rd/steamcraft/tile/TileEntityBoiler.java#L443

With the blaze spawner thing, do you mean rods or the actual spawner? Not sure what you would mean by the latter though.

Also, obligatory multi-block solar boilers, as well as boilers that require fire to be under them (netherrack) both of which produce relatively small but easily renewable steam power. Could be nice for resource sinks.
I believe solars have already been discussed. If I were to do them, they would be similar to Factorization (and apparently RotaryCraft, but I haven't used those yet so I don't know for sure).

As for the fire boiler; there will be a Geothermal Boiler that generates steam based on how low in the earth it is. Perhaps it could even generate steam in the nether.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
With the blaze spawner thing, do you mean rods or the actual spawner? Not sure what you would mean by the latter though.
I mean, making a multi-block boiler, which integrates the spawner block itself into its construction. When finished, the spawner either stops spawning, or the boiler would be big enough to consume spawned blazes or prevent them from spawning in the first place.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Powered Cats and Dogs!

Recharges by creating steam within itself

The Cat can only recharge while on a chest, the fuller the chest the faster it recharges. It also Scares away Creepers and automatically throws fish out of the water. Finally, it can cook fish if it's fed one.

The dog can only recharge while tied to a fence, the faster it's moving while doing so, the faster it recharges. It also Attacks Monsters and Passive mobs and automatically brings mob-loot to you. Finally, it attacks any cats or robot cats nearby and will sit on your machines to make them rust.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really... trust the ideas of people in the FSP Minecraft Forum thread, as most of them are "add steampunk animals!"
Not that's it's such a bad idea, but i don't think Santa like it.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Steam powered vertical transport would be pretty cool, a piston-driven lift would make an interesting multi-block addition that requires more steam input when the lift goes further vertically.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
Steam powered traps, Trigger it and it shoots steam and boils everythign above it alive. Also conducts redstone signals so that it triggers all of it's brother's and sisters

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
You know what'd be really cool, I just remembered about this and this'd be totally out of place in the FSP mod, but imagine having a supercritical solar power plant in Feed The Beast:

Solar.jpg

High_Resolution.jpg

See this is the thing that I reckon FTB modpacks are really lacking in is these kind of awesome-looking power plants.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
You know what'd be really cool, I just remembered about this and this'd be totally out of place in the FSP mod, but imagine having a supercritical solar power plant in Feed The Beast:

Solar.jpg

High_Resolution.jpg

See this is the thing that I reckon FTB modpacks are really lacking in is these kind of awesome-looking power plants.
Factorization has that, just a fair bit smaller.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization has that, just a fair bit smaller.

True. I had a Factorization solar array in my old world and I'm planning on building a new one, they're really good.
Although just looking at the wiki now, I never knew you could use them to power Railcraft steam engines.....and you can stack the arrays?
All of a sudden I have a new project to tackle :D

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Solar boilers might actually be harder to automate then fuel based ones as there are no automatic valve releases the free steam becomes a liability as the sun would be constantly going perpetually building up pressure. With fuel based boilers you can calculate the right amount of fuel and place it in without fear of your rupture discs going off.

Flaxbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Solar boilers might actually be harder to automate then fuel based ones as there are no automatic valve releases the free steam becomes a liability as the sun would be constantly going perpetually building up pressure. With fuel based boilers you can calculate the right amount of fuel and place it in without fear of your rupture discs going off.
Except there's so many ways to create automated outlet valves already that it would be trivial, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Except there's so many ways to create automated outlet valves already that it would be trivial, unfortunately.

I think the idea is actually interesting. The way I would tackle this one is by measurring pressure and making a horizontal piston door to block of the sunlight. If the solar boiler was made to be a 3x3 multiblock that would become more challanging.

I realy dont know why mod devs insist on generators needing fuel so much. Especially because there are so manny mods that trivialize getting that fuel... I'd much rather have a multiblock that requires some thinking than going: "yeah, this mod needs a tree farm, this mod needs a treefarm, for this you pump the nether and for that we build a MFR laser". Its boring, realy.

And here's the thing, such a multiblock does not need to be just power. Red Power had this generator called a thermopile. It would generate power based on how much heat and cooling was around that block. Lava would heat it, water/ice/snow would cool it. With snow/ice being better then water. The cool thing about this? If the thermopile was cooled more then heated it could turn lava in obsidian or flowing lava into basalt. Suddenly you dont just have a power generator, you have an interesting mechanic that, when enginered right, is also a cosmetic block generator. It was one of the most fun projects ive ever made in modded minecraft (even though the power output was only ~25mj/t :D)

TL: DR Id rather have a generator with some unique mechanics then a generator requiring an easely automated fuel.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
How? within the mod it's self I can't find a good safety automatic valve solution. Sure externally I can use one of the many fake player right click machines (FZ robo arm does the trick) in conjunction with a comparator on a gauge to open a valve, but within the mod there's nothing but the rupture disc. At least nothing I could find.