Mac Fix for launcher on mac (Minecraft crashes immediately)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustik

Jul 29, 2019
When i downloaded it it just always had worked for me i had no problems except that i couldent log in some times. But i figured that out.
are we still talking about the same thing??? I'm talking about the launcher that was mentioned on the last page of this thread for people on mac's that can't play FTB because it won't run on Java 6 & 7 by default

Jacobmorganian

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I've been messing around with making a .app for feed the beast on mac so simply clicking on it gets you in the launcher. Ive liberated the technic scripts that launch technic on mac to launch the feed the beast jar. But there are a few problems. 1. I dont know if its ok to use the technic launcher to launch feed the bast and mabie put out a download. 2. When I use my custom application it never actually launches the second jar (minecraft client). I woudl simply like to learn how to make a basic launcher for this. Mabie team work can get this new creation on the downloads page of feed the beast! Any help would be much appreciated and if i finish this you will be stated in the post for the download. Thank You.

CryoFear

Jul 29, 2019
Hey jacobmorganian I clicked on your link and Ita giving me an error page. I would really like to download your launcher if that means I am finally able to play ftb. Help please

SaintNicster

Jul 29, 2019
There is code in the launcher's maven scripts to create an app bundle version of the launcher, and specifies to use the 1.6jre. Not sure what's stopping them from distributing that, though.

A guess is that the updating support might not be fully nailed down from inside the launcher, but I'm really not sure.

Jacobmorganian

Jul 29, 2019
Ya apparently im not allowed to put 3rd party programs on the forums D: i really want to share it with you guys. But i just need to know how.

Jacobmorganian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm id have to ask a staff member - Beacause they said i cant put my launcher on the forums, i cant send a link to you. But if i put it on their git hub then mabie, id have to ask staff.[DOUBLEPOST=1357330918][/DOUBLEPOST]
There is code in the launcher's maven scripts to create an app bundle version of the launcher, and specifies to use the 1.6jre. Not sure what's stopping them from distributing that, though.

A guess is that the updating support might not be fully nailed down from inside the launcher, but I'm really not sure.
For what? My launcher? I used Jar Bundler to make it and the jar on the download website. And no - you cant update it successfully without a new launcher. If i could post my launcher on the forums i would have a new launcher every new version.

SaintNicster

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm id have to ask a staff member - Beacause they said i cant put my launcher on the forums, i cant send a link to you. But if i put it on their git hub then mabie, id have to ask staff.[DOUBLEPOST=1357330918][/DOUBLEPOST]
For what? My launcher? I used Jar Bundler to make it and the jar on the download website. And no - you cant update it successfully without a new launcher. If i could post my launcher on the forums i would have a new launcher every new version.
No. I'm talking about the code for the launcher itself. On the github, you can see that they already have code in place to generate the app bundle (in the same place as the EXE and Jar generations).

They don't distribute that yet, as it (apparently) doesn't fully work. They don't want people having to download new app bundles every update, so for now, I assume that it isn't an option that they want.

Jacobmorganian

Jul 29, 2019
Do they have the App bundle for mac? The one i made with the jar works perfectly. If they made it for mac, i think they are having problems with the latest update, for Mac os 7.5 or something. It renders java 7 as the default java for all macs who have the update. I used the Jar Bundler to avoid this issue so the extra steps to launch it as stated in this post. It just bundled up the jar with jave JRE 1.6+ or something, i would have to check to be sure.

SaintNicster

Jul 29, 2019
Do they have the App bundle for mac? The one i made with the jar works perfectly. If they made it for mac, i think they are having problems with the latest update, for Mac os 7.5 or something. It renders java 7 as the default java for all macs who have the update. I used the Jar Bundler to avoid this issue so the extra steps to launch it as stated in this post. It just bundled up the jar with jave JRE 1.6+ or something, i would have to check to be sure.
The app bundle template is on the github page.

You just said
And no - you cant update it successfully without a new launcher.

That's what I'm talking about with it probably not working, though I'd have to juryrig my own version to test it out. Something I can't do right now.

Edit at 5:30 CST to avoid a doublepost ---

So I tried this after I got home. I pulled a fresh copy of the github files and only rolled the version number back. I then ran the maven build from inside eclipse, and got the app bundle.

I ran this, and got the update prompt. It actually updated correctly. The only thing "wrong" that it did was to run the jar directly instead of relaunching the app, but that was only noticeable because of the missing dock icon. It's closer, but could use some tweaking.

Jacobmorganian

Jul 29, 2019
What i did was i got the FTB launcher .jar, and i got an icon as well for it. Changed the extension of the icon to .icns. Then I launched a application that comes on all macs called "Jar Bundler" i filled in all the states and hit "Create app" and it worked fine.

Jacobmorganian

Jul 29, 2019
Acculy i updated to 1.9 of the launcher, and everything seems to ave undated. Im not getting the "Update available" message anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.