Finite Water?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

How do you feel about finite water?

• Total voters

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
my point it that there isn't an actual height to play with at any point a unit can only be on 2 heights: ground or air (or lifting off/touching down but those are transition animations)

that the map has levels is a hack with sight and path blockers and unimportant to playing, cliffs act as a path blocker and a 1 way sight blocker while ramps just act as a 1 way sight blocker. air units ignore both either way.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
and I'm saying SC2 doesn't have true up and down

when each unit's position is full described by just a X and Y (and sometimes a limited Z) then its 2D, SC2 has only 2 distinct Z levels

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
but to the game engine all it does is change where the unit is rendered and whether it can see through bushes, I call that not a full D

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Necropost, I know... but this should be shared.

I just discovered that the RotaryCraft reservoirs fill with water when left out in the rain at an incredible rate. They do not generate water normally, they just capture water if it's raining at a rate of 25 millibuckets per tick if they can see sky.

Absolutely amazing. I'm using finite water and was working on producing water with a dewpoint aggregator when my reservoirs started filling like crazy!

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, this is a beautiful use of the "necro", because I never saw the original thread at any time in the past, and I do really enjoy the idea proposed in the OP.

Is this the mod? http://finiteliquid.wikia.com/wiki/Finite_Liquid_Wiki

Why hasn't it ever made it into FTB, too restrictive I suppose?

ChickenChunks or ChickenCore has an option for finite water. I have it set on our server side config in Cauldron.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
My most recent experience with it is Crash Landing, but that's also due to the addition of needing to drink water. It was a bit surprising that first time when I tried to make an infinite source and saw them still just flowing.

A neat bit of history is Notch experimenting with it years ago:

But as has been mentioned in the thread, and probably why Notch abandoned it, is performance. We already see had bad the nether can get when you have all of those lava blocks triggering block updates from the flow changes.

Might be interesting to try a game with finite water sometime though and see just how reliant we are on infinite sources of it.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
But as has been mentioned in the thread, and probably why Notch abandoned it, is performance. We already see had bad the nether can get when you have all of those lava blocks triggering block updates from the flow changes.

Yeah, very good point. These ideas always sound great... until you logically think it thru a bit.

Speaking of slowing down performance... I just was reading that Mojang has recently taken "bedrock fog" particles out of the game completely, because it required all air blocks to "tick" to check their elevation and see if they needed the particle effect or not.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Might be interesting to try a game with finite water sometime though and see just how reliant we are on infinite sources of it.
That's how I play now, and I find that it really makes you get a railcraft water tower (or two) up as quickly as possible (being cheaper and easier than any other option at early game) as that helps to reduce the amount of running around for water, but really, apart from that, it's not really noticeable and doesn't make a long term difference to your game play. Note I also have more expensive recipes for Aq Accums and they have a reduced generation rate.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, very good point. These ideas always sound great... until you logically think it thru a bit.

Speaking of slowing down performance... I just was reading that Mojang has recently taken "bedrock fog" particles out of the game completely, because it required all air blocks to "tick" to check their elevation and see if they needed the particle effect or not.

Wish they would backport that to 1.6.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
That's how I play now, and I find that it really makes you get a railcraft water tower (or two) up as quickly as possible (being cheaper and easier than any other option at early game) as that helps to reduce the amount of running around for water, but really, apart from that, it's not really noticeable and doesn't make a long term difference to your game play. Note I also have more expensive recipes for Aq Accums and they have a reduced generation rate.

I bet that'd be a real challenge in running steam engines. Or even combustion engines.

Wish they would backport that to 1.6.

I think Optifine lets you disable it, assuming you can make it work with your pack of choice.

Reactions: Bigpak

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I bet that'd be a real challenge in running steam engines. Or even combustion engines.
Yep, use at the start (highly "nerfed") mek windmills for a trickle of power, before switching to better power producers. Steam stuff needs much more major infrastructure to support.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, use at the start (highly "nerfed") mek windmills for a trickle of power, before switching to better power producers. Steam stuff needs much more major infrastructure to support.

RoC steam engines aren't too bad, but the solar tower EATS water. It's totally not viable.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft's water tanks slowly generate water depending on biome.
They produce a surprisingly large amount of water. Although the trickle is fairly low, it is an enormous quantity over time, especially if chunkloaded. The same principle applies to solar panels. Only one or two Railcraft tanks in a forest-type biome can handle most water needs for the early-middlish of the game, then you just add more as needed. I would not consider it balanced if you are trying to make water a resource; I've found it easily doable to run TE, IC and Mekanism setups with Railcraft tanks.

However, without Railcraft tanks, it is still very easy if you drain a large lake or ocean. As I said before, there is a deceptively massive amount of water in the world. To put it in perspective, if you take a 100x100x25 slice of an ocean, it would yield 250,000 buckets of water. IIRC it takes 1 bucket of water per operation in the IC2 ore washer. So, you could process 250,000 ore with this amount of water. If you drain large lakes or oceans, it will be similar to pumping the Nether; essentially infinite except you have to move the pump every so often. To actually have a challenge you should only use small bodies of water, such as ponds and small rivers, and try to use the water intelligently. Think of it like those little pools of Buildcraft oil.