Feedback needed - Regarding FTB Infinity lite 1.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Options for potential name change

• Leave everything as it is, its all fine.

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Rename the pack to Infinity 2. As this is an easier naming convention to understand.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Rename the pack to something completely new

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • Leave this pack as it is, but change the name for Infinity Evolved when it comes out.

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I don't see how it would be very confusing IMO. I enjoyed getting a new name for the flagship pack for each version, but I enjoy infinity lite being the name. Has finding tutorials for the various DW20 packs been an issue? It's essentially the same thing as this concept of keeping the name.

There is a small difference... We only have one "Direwolf20" pack every round of version upgrades as opposed to multiple versions like:

1). Infinity
2). Infinity Lite (Less Filling! Tastes Great! :D ) (look it up if you're that young)
3). Infinity Evolved
4). Infinity Evolved: Expert (admittedly, a switchable option in later versions of #3)
5). Infinity Evolved: Skyblock

For myself, it doesn't make a difference... I'm capable and willing to read the pack descriptions to see if I have the correct pack, but I'm an anomaly in the on-line community.

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
There is a small difference... We only have one "Direwolf20" pack every round of version upgrades as opposed to multiple versions like:

1). Infinity
2). Infinity Lite (Less Filling! Tastes Great! :D ) (look it up if you're that young)
3). Infinity Evolved
4). Infinity Evolved: Expert (admittedly, a switchable option in later versions of #3)
5). Infinity Evolved: Skyblock

For myself, it doesn't make a difference... I'm capable and willing to read the pack descriptions to see if I have the correct pack, but I'm an anomaly in the on-line community.
Yeah I can see what you mean. But it isn't that hard to just copy the exact name and version of a pack and find stuff for it. Like for example "Infinity Evolved 1.7.10" or "Infinity Lite 1.10.2" and just a bit of reading to find out if it's for the right thing you're using. I'm on the side for a new name, but not because the Infinity Lite is complicated, just because I liked new names for the flagship of each version like Ultimate, Unleashed, Monster, Infinity, ETC. :)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah I can see what you mean. But it isn't that hard to just copy the exact name and version of a pack and find stuff for it. Like for example "Infinity Evolved 1.7.10" or "Infinity Lite 1.10.2" and just a bit of reading to find out if it's for the right thing you're using. I'm on the side for a new name, but not because the Infinity Lite is complicated, just because I liked new names for the flagship of each version like Ultimate, Unleashed, Monster, Infinity, ETC. :)

Exactly the point I was trying to make in my last paragraph... The descriptions are there if you take the time to look for them, or bother to read the full posts in whatever forum you use. For example, remember all the "Where are the pack?" posts when "Expert Mode" was first added to Evolved, even though the add-on was completely described in many posts, both from FtB and from those with reading comprehension? :D

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly the point I was trying to make in my last paragraph... The descriptions are there if you take the time to look for them, or bother to read the full posts in whatever forum you use. For example, remember all the "Where are the pack?" posts when "Expert Mode" was first added to Evolved, even though the add-on was completely described in many posts, both from FtB and from those with reading comprehension? :D
Yeah idk I don't think they should've added Lite, just for for Infinity and do evolved later or whatever. It's not hard to find stuff for the pack you're looking for, but I prefer a new name.

Didz

Jul 29, 2019
I was really excited yesterday when I found there was a new 1.10 Lite pack that I could run smoothly on this slightly ageing PC. "Wow, we even have Botania, Forestry, and Railcraft in this Lite pack!". Then I found that it stuttered quite a bit and just gave up with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError after playing it for a while with the default 4GB set in the Curse Launcher.

So yes, the "Lite" brand had already been ingrained into my head as a pack that could be ran on older computers. The mod pack description on Curse mentions it's "designed for solo play as well as small and medium population servers", so this just reaffirmed that it was a trimmed down pack. I think it would make sense to change the name to something completely new to avoid confusion, but I wouldn't mind future packs having "Lite" suffixed to their end if they actually were "lite" packs that could be ran on slightly less powerful machines.

P

Psilynt1

I think "FTB Convergence" or "Infinity Convergence" would be an excellent name. Having Infinity 2 makes it sound like it's a newer version of Infinity (which it is, but it is also a less extensive pack). Think convergence as a mathematical concept such as a the limit as a function approaches a value. It comes close to Infinity, but isn't. It doesn't have the stigma that "Lite" has of being an inferior or less complete version and conveys the meaning that it has a variety of different mod types.

Proxy_Player

Jul 29, 2019
You know what i've never seen in a Offical FTB Pack?
Space.
Why not throw in Advanced Rocketry? it works quite good for how WIP it is.
i already did a Damn Texture Pack for it because i can and like it xD

D

DyS

My Game crashes Every time i try to use a pickaxe on universal cables

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I was really excited yesterday when I found there was a new 1.10 Lite pack that I could run smoothly on this slightly ageing PC. "Wow, we even have Botania, Forestry, and Railcraft in this Lite pack!". Then I found that it stuttered quite a bit and just gave up with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError after playing it for a while with the default 4GB set in the Curse Launcher.

So yes, the "Lite" brand had already been ingrained into my head as a pack that could be ran on older computers. The mod pack description on Curse mentions it's "designed for solo play as well as small and medium population servers", so this just reaffirmed that it was a trimmed down pack. I think it would make sense to change the name to something completely new to avoid confusion, but I wouldn't mind future packs having "Lite" suffixed to their end if they actually were "lite" packs that could be ran on slightly less powerful machines.
I'd agree with this completely; I was excited about the "Lite" moniker, only to realise that in fact it was not really, in the sense that we've gotten accustomed to. Mind you, my computer is so old now I've had to put together a custom pack with only about 6 mods in it in order for it to run, so there's a limit to how useful my input can be anyway.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the answer the FTB staff selected was "ignore the poll we posted and do nothing." This poll was posted 2 days short of a month ago and it looks like there's been no follow-up.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the answer the FTB staff selected was "ignore the poll we posted and do nothing." This poll was posted 2 days short of a month ago and it looks like there's been no follow-up.

To be honest, I'd ignore a poll that generated a lot of unrelated responses too, based on the apparent misunderstanding of the purpose of the poll.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
To be honest, I'd ignore a poll that generated a lot of unrelated responses too, based on the apparent misunderstanding of the purpose of the poll.

I'm not talking about the responses -- I'm talking about the poll itself. Why post it if you're not going to use the results?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Usually when we have something new, we give it a new name to differentiate it from the "old new".

Or you could be like George Foreman and just name all 12 of your kids "George" (sorry, it's only 5 sons, he didn't name the 7 daughters with a boys name). Hey, I guess it didn't really cause them too many problems in life. What could possibly go wrong? LOL

I vote for calling every FTB Modpack from here until infinity... "Infinity". Somehow that does seem quite appropriate, Slowpoke. Good call. LOL

Last edited:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I voted for the least popular option, keep the lite version the same and change the name of the full release of infinity. If the full release of Infinity is supposed to be more epic than a lite version, why something like Infinity Squared, or Infinity Cubed. Both packs retain the epic feel of completeness in the pack without having to rework everything in the lite version, as well as giving a larger sense of scope to the full release. Not to mention the play on words with squared and/or cubed.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
I'm not talking about the responses -- I'm talking about the poll itself. Why post it if you're not going to use the results?

Renaming an existing pack creates all kinds of problems so we've decided that the existing pack will stay as is. Feedback from this thread and poll will absolutely be taken on board for future releases though. We appreciate all the feedback.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019

...we could really use some feedback. ...we are willing to look at possible solutions...

Thanks

Slowpoke

@JaRyCu That was actually quiet rude. The beginning of all wisdom are the words, "I do not know", or in this case, "we are not sure." Slowpoke clearly indicated that the dev team has some ideas but they were either not happy with them or not sure how the community felt about it. Sometimes a leader (in this case the dev team) has to hear opinions and ideas to push their thinking in a new direction.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
@JaRyCu That was actually quiet rude. The beginning of all wisdom are the words, "I do not know", or in this case, "we are not sure." Slowpoke clearly indicated that the dev team has some ideas but they were either not happy with them or not sure how the community felt about it. Sometimes a leader (in this case the dev team) has to hear opinions and ideas to push their thinking in a new direction.

Thank you oh governor of internet bulletin board for correcting my bad behavior. Thank you for completely understanding my tone in a post on a forum. <EndSarcasm>

I think the poll was an excellent attempt to reach out from FTB to the community they've created. It shows that they want to stay in-sync with that community.

What I didn't like was that they posted it and then had absolutely no follow-up. Today's response was 2-3 weeks after my questioning of the results and seeming inaction. Ever since the Curse merger or whatever it was, FTB has gotten really silent and inactive from what we can see. Their Twitter feed rarely updates, the semi-monthly newsletter hasn't been published in months...It's like they're slowly fading away.

I appreciated the response this morning from Quetzi. Even that took 2+ weeks though.

edit: cell phone grammar = hard mode

Last edited: