Feedback needed - Regarding FTB Infinity lite 1.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Options for potential name change

• Leave everything as it is, its all fine.

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Rename the pack to Infinity 2. As this is an easier naming convention to understand.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Rename the pack to something completely new

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • Leave this pack as it is, but change the name for Infinity Evolved when it comes out.

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

Feed the Beast

Jul 29, 2019
I am just putting together a thread to get some feedback from the FTB community based on some comments that the team have received since the release of the latest version of FTB Infinity. The biggest complaint about the pack that we are getting at the moment is regarding confusion about the name. First that naming the pack infinity lite 1.10 may be confusing to some people and secondly that this could potentially lead to difficulties when looking for servers.

With this in mind we have a few potential solutions that we could explore, but before we go any further we could really use some feedback. Before you decide, it should be made clear however the problems with a name change which is not a simple task now the pack is released. The biggest issue is that the name of the folders that have been created for existing worlds would at best need to be manually changed as there is no easy way to do this. With regards to curse a totally new project would need to be created which from a users point fo view would mean copying over the data from your world save over manually. This obviously would be ok for people who are computer literate, but for others it may be a bit more complex.

It is also not something we can do in a day or so. At earliest it would be late next week before we could make the change. However if this is enough of a issue for the community, we are willing to look at possible solutions to this problem. That is where this poll comes in, it would be extremely helpful if people could respond with their preferred choice, or if they have another alternative I havent thought about, just let me know in the comments.

Thanks

Slowpoke

Reactions: BenTheHun1

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'm sort of curious why the name FTB Lite wasn't used for this pack? Were you just trying ride on the fame of the infinity pack from 1.7.10?

tfox83

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sort of curious why the name FTB Lite wasn't used for this pack? Were you just trying ride on the fame of the infinity pack from 1.7.10?
The FTB Lite packs were designed to run on 32 bit machines and older PCs, that's why we didn't name it FTB Lite 4. Also Infinty's name was designed to be our flagship pack name in 1.7 and beyond. That is why I named the first one Infinity 1.7

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I'm in for a name change, not because I don't like it, but because it will cause confusion while looking online for infos, videos, tutorials, recipes about it, of course its brand new right now and nothing is updated yet, but we will find info, videos, tutorials and such about two old packs, FTB Infinity original and FTB Infinity Evolved that were both in 1.7.10 packs and have completely different recipes especially Infinity Evolved in Expert mode, now try to find any tutorials for the new FTB Infinity (add Lite to your text if you want but youtube will skip it and google too) in around 1-2 months from now (let people play it before) then you'll realize what a pain it could be, some youtubers that just want to get their view counts and subscribers up will update titles and descriptions on their old FTB Infinity and Infinity Evolved tutorials to include 1.10.2 in it and exclude 1.7.10 so they get a lot of views, and people will watch theses videos expecting to learn how it works, then they will try and find out it doesn't work anymore and you'll see a lot of new topics here on the forums and on reddit complaining about it.

FireBall1725

Jul 29, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I agree with what @Dodge34 is saying. Basically when trying to wiki or youtube things name matters, But on the other hand, if memory serves me, the base infinity pack did it change recipes? I know the expert mode did, but I thought the normal version was just standard everything?

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Yup normal mode was, normal of course, but lets test your search skills, try to find tutorials for Thermal Expansion stuff in FTB Infinity original, you'll see a lot of stuff related to the FTB Infinity Evolved Expert Mode that requires crafting stuff from so many mods, while what you want to do is in Normal mode without theses insane expert recipes.

K

kaikue

If you keep the name FTB Infinity, then the significant part that distinguishes between the packs becomes the MC version number (FTB Infinity 1.7.10 vs FTB Infinity 1.10.2 vs FTB Infinity 1.11.?, etc.). Not to mention you have the different versions of the pack for the same version of MC (so now it's FTB Infinity 1.10.2 1.X.X).

If you used a different word for the pack, this would be simplified to one word referring to the modpack ("FTB Infinity" vs "FTB Unchained" or whatever) and the specific modpack version. This is much clearer.

The word "Infinity" does not tell me anything about the pack. I don't really see any advantages of keeping it, because if every modpack has that as the name, it doesn't mean anything. Whereas there are plenty of disadvantages- harder to find tutorials, discussions will be more confusing, and less MC-savvy players will get confused.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Change the name to something else. Or at the very least call it "Infinity 2". It will simply cause so much confusion. Specially when helping the lesser tech knowledgeable people. It would also make any forum/reddit posts a nightmare where you constantly have to ask for or specify versions. It was a PITA when the DW20 packs were still relevant.

I would personally prefer that a new name was chosen, following the tradition of all the other flagship packs.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
If someone can't understand the differences between Infinity 1.7/Infinity 1.10/etc, then they will find something else to be confused about even if you change the name. It'll also confuse them even more when they can't figure out how to do a simple folder rename. It's not hard to state "Infinity 1.10" when you are talking about a pack, and clears up all confusion.

I actually find brand new names more confusing because you aren't always sure if it's the "all purpose" "all-in-one" pack or not. With "Infinity" you immediately know what you are getting.

I see no problems keeping all future flagship packs labelled Infinity Lite, followed by Infinity Evolved. Though I would have called this pack Infinity, then the next pack Infinity Evolved. There is nothing "lite" about 117(?) mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
You could name the 1.10 generation after planets. Infinity would be Jupiter when it comes out, Lite could be Neptune, the Horizons equivalent could be Saturn, etc.

Reactions: CuteTurret

DrSoda

Jul 29, 2019
I liked the trend you guys had with the names starting with U. "Ultimate, Unleashed, Unhinged" (Unstable doesn't really count)

Might be nice to return to that. I personally like "Unlimited". It's kinda a synonym for Infinity, and it would be a good name for a sequel to it. I also liked Vazkii's suggestion "Prism" which he had good reasoning for on the FTB subreddit. I think "Lite" was a bad idea, perhaps call this pack "FTB Uplifiting" because it's somewhat bringing 1.10 upwards, in the sense that an official FTB pack would help bring new players and modders to 1.10. The "Evolved" pack could be "FTB Unlimited".

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If someone can't understand the differences between Infinity 1.7/Infinity 1.10/etc, then they will find something else to be confused about even if you change the name. It'll also confuse them even more when they can't figure out how to do a simple folder rename. It's not hard to state "Infinity 1.10" when you are talking about a pack, and clears up all confusion.

I actually find brand new names more confusing because you aren't always sure if it's the "all purpose" "all-in-one" pack or not. With "Infinity" you immediately know what you are getting.

I see no problems keeping all future flagship packs labelled Infinity Lite, followed by Infinity Evolved. Though I would have called this pack Infinity, then the next pack Infinity Evolved. There is nothing "lite" about 117(?) mods.

They could always rename the first version (Infinity Lite right now) "Infinity Genesis" or "Infinity Onset" or even "Infinity: Are we there yet?" :D

Reactions: Watchful11

DrSoda

Jul 29, 2019
They could always rename the first version (Infinity Lite right now) "Infinity Genesis" or "Infinity Onset" or even "Infinity: Are we there yet?" :D
I like that idea too. Like how the sequel to FTB Horizons was FTB Horizons: Daybreaker. Could also be an idea.

swyrl

Jul 29, 2019
Referring back to vazkii's post on the /r/feedthebeast thread, I think "FTB Prism" would make a great name.
(Or possibly "Infinity: Prism". If Infinity's name must be kept, then it should start having a proper version naming scheme instead of using version numbers to differentiate it. This makes for better searching and less general confusion)

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I actually like the name. I'm not trying to sell a server though. So there is that. I was disliking the idea of it being called FTB Infinity. At the time it made it just seemed like a rush job to put out a pack with the flagship name on it. With the lite name on there it added the connotation it wasn't a true 1.10 iteration of the 1.7 version. Like the 2 or just Infinity would have implied.

I don't at all feel it is worth the trouble of trying to rename a published pack. I tend to look into packs very carefully though and don't play multiplayer as much as others might. When I do play multiplayer I research both the pack I am going to play and the server I will be playing it on. So the effect the name has on me wouldn't have changed. It is a catchy easy to remember and associate name for a pack. Easy to spell to, for the most part.

D

Dweia

Referring back to vazkii's post on the /r/feedthebeast thread, I think "FTB Prism" would make a great name.
(Or possibly "Infinity: Prism". If Infinity's name must be kept, then it should start having a proper version naming scheme instead of using version numbers to differentiate it. This makes for better searching and less general confusion)

This. FTB Infinity: Prism would be great! The flagship name is still there AND it makes searching for tutorials, wikis and servers much easier because it's not a version number, but a name. You could also keep the name Infinity throughout other minecraft versions, just changing the second name, 'Prism' in this case.

Also, Thank you, FTB team for making great packs!

Scrogs63

Jul 29, 2019
When your thoughts became "oh boy, this pack doesn't have enough, lets add lite to the name". Those thought should have been this "Oh boy, this pack doesn't have enough, lets give it a different name"

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how it would be very confusing IMO. I enjoyed getting a new name for the flagship pack for each version, but I enjoy infinity lite being the name. Has finding tutorials for the various DW20 packs been an issue? It's essentially the same thing as this concept of keeping the name.

Reactions: Hambeau

zenchronus

Jul 29, 2019
Well if we're going to the next thing past Infinity, I think we should look to Buzz Lightyear for guidance and call it FTB Beyond.

Reactions: Hambeau