Feed the Beast vs Tekkit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Hello, FTB Community!

A few days ago I discovered the Tekkit Launcher. I was very happy but very confused on how to play with all the new mods. And on the Tekkit forums, I found out about direwolf20 and his adventures, and started having fun watching his videos.

But during this time, I discovered he actually has a playable mod pack, and that mod pack can be installed with the Feed the Beast Launcher. And this was the first time I heard of this launcher, and ofc I immediately installed it.

Since I am very new to these launchers in general, can you please explain what are the main differences between the two?

When I google searched this topic, I saw discussions comparing the two that are at least one year old, and so, out of date.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
They are essentially the same thing, an external app used to launch mod packs made by different people or players, same as the other dozen or so launchers out there.

Reactions: Cirom and Loufmier

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Well, after spending a few hours comparing different modpacks, I see different advantages and disadvantages. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I want the most mod crowded install, the FTB Monster pack has it all. But I don't know how stable such a huge install can be.

If I want a Magic based install, the most up to date mod pack is the FTB Magic World. Hexxit seems outdated, although it looks like it has more stuff fit for adventuring. But Magic World with one of the included Texture Packs looks awesome. I don't know which one of these is the most fun.

If I want a Technic Sci Fi install, Tekkit seems the best. But I can't seem to see the big differences between it and FTB Tech World.

Direwolf's mod options don't seem very interesting to me, but I might try them to learn a part of the mods I would like to use from the other packs, while watching his videos.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest using Monster as a base, and add/remove mods as you see fit. Mods that add new mobs would be the first on my chopping block. Those are the types to strain your computer more than any others. For the rest, look them up before you decide whether or not to keep them but dont overthink it. Options are a good thing. Direwolf's pack has all of the "major" mods that define the whole tech mod concept and pretty much all of the magic ones too. So if his selection seems uninteresting to you, then I think there just might be something seriously wrong with your brain and you should seek professional help.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So if his selection seems uninteresting to you, then I think there just might be something seriously wrong with your brain and you should seek professional help.

Dire hasn't changed his pack in forever. It's boring, and is missing several mods that I feel add a lot to MC. I'm with the OP on this.
Direwolf's mod options don't seem very interesting to me, but I might try them to learn a part of the mods I would like to use from the other packs, while watching his videos.

If you don't like his selection, try Horizons. It contains a lot of good mods, and is a pack that is constructed to showcase mods that are new to FTB.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Horizons is fun. It has a rather curious selection of mods IMHO which forces you think up alternative solutions for some problems and that's a good thing. I have a single player world with a custom mod pack that looks somewhat like Mosnter so pretty much everything is available there and this sometimes makes things a bit easy. In Horizons there are a few missing mods which adds a bit of a challenge. I like that.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Dire hasn't changed his pack in forever. It's boring, and is missing several mods that I feel add a lot to MC. I'm with the OP on this.

If you don't like his selection, try Horizons. It contains a lot of good mods, and is a pack that is constructed to showcase mods that are new to FTB.

Well I consider most of the mods in Dires pack absolutely essential and not boring at all. Yes its missing some of my other favorites like Chisel and Growthcraft but still, its a great starting point. Monster has a whole lot of extra mods, but other than the mob mods and Rotarycraft most of them dont have a lot of content. And Horizons is Monster willfully tossing out all of the most popular mods in an effort to force players to learn the rest. So what Im saying is that in my opinion, Monster and Direwolf packs are virtually identical where it matters.

Reactions: Cirom

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I recommend ATLauncher. Especially if you like to tinker with your modpacks, adding and removing things.
If you prefer more polished ready-to use packs, FTB is probably the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Well, its quite possible I was mistaken about Direwolf's Mod Pack, all this mod pack business being so new to me. Like I said, I think I will try his modpack first, to go along with his videos and learn about the new mods. But its uninteresting for me for now because it seems too much all over the place. Portal gun, hats, and polymorph, sure, are fun, but just take me out of the feeling I want in Minecraft, that of survival roleplay and creative building.

But what do you think about Magic World 2? I can't ask you to compare it with Hexxit, since I don't know if you played it, but what do you think about it? Is it fun if I want to focus on a magic adventure?

Also, how does Tekkit compare with FTB Tech World 2 if I want to focus on building wonderful factories?

Horizons seems too experimental for me :) . I want to know the classic mods better first, before trying some new ones.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree on you about hats and morph, the portal gun mod is one of the most useful mods ever. No doubt about it, its a huge time saver being able to instantly pop back and forth wherever.

If you want the classics, go with Direwolf. Its got them all. Factories out the wazoo and magical swag to boot. And you can always add more mods later on as you learn your way around.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
(but also, 9d03b16b07f458bd78fa7fd37d85c66d)

Oh I see. Once he grows accustomed to (spoiled by) walking super fast and being able to fly thanks to fancy invincible armor he will probably change his mind about instant transport. Disable portal guns from showing up as dungeon loot, then the only way you will be able to get one is to earn it by killing a wither.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Oh I see. Once you he grows accustomed to walking super fast and being able to fly thanks to fancy invincible armor he will probably change his mind about instant transport. Disable portal guns from showing up as dungeon loot, then the only way you will be able to get one is to earn it by killing a wither.

Unless you have a few other mods (like magical crops) which make it considerable easier to get nether stars.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
True but with mods theres almost always an easier "cheaty" optional route, the choice is up to you whether or not you will take it.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Horizons is fun. It has a rather curious selection of mods IMHO which forces you think up alternative solutions for some problems and that's a good thing. I have a single player world with a custom mod pack that looks somewhat like Mosnter so pretty much everything is available there and this sometimes makes things a bit easy. In Horizons there are a few missing mods which adds a bit of a challenge. I like that.
Everyone I see someone say this I wish I knew that feeling because I had a ton of information on some of the mods already so did not have an issue :c[DOUBLEPOST=1402680516][/DOUBLEPOST]
I recommend TPPI.
This

Reactions: RedBoss

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
No real difference. Both allow you to add take away mods. Some people don't like the FTB 1.7 concept of grouping of mod packs. All in one just to showcase current mods. Then there will be specialized packs. If the past 3 months have been any indicator, the specialized pack idea have done well. MF2/Agrarian Skies/B&B. I'd be interested to also see a ecological pack of agriculture/ farming/ and so forth. Maybe have a tech hard or magic hard pack, not one that makes it harder to survive, but to progress through magic or tech. Obviously FTB has plenty of hard surviving packs...