Favorite Mod(s) and Why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
I have seen a few threads popping up to talk about a certain part of a mod and then it typically gets derailed into something is OP or there needs to be a config. What I haven't seen for a while are people talking about why they like a mod. That is what I would like to try and do with this thread. Post your favorite mod or mods and explain why you like them. Heck, post a contraption or two that you made with the mod or combination of mods.
Thaumcraft 3
I absolutely love magic mods. For me, this one specifically is perfect because while there are a good amount of items and systems that the mod adds, it isn't overly complicated. The neat little contraptions that come with the mod like the arcane ear, the levitator, and the arcane bore are just amazing. The visual effects are well done and the mechanics are well implemented. Plus, what is better than slave golems to do your bidding. >=D
Portal Gun
I don't hear a lot about this mod outside of the actual gun itself, but the other parts of it like the aerial faith plates and the sentry turrets are definitely fun to mess around with. I plan on using aerial faith plates in a build soon for my bee production just to have some fun, and one of the admins on the server I play on loves to come to my area and set off the song from the oracle turrets. I for some reason like to listen to the song even though it should be annoying me compared to my other music choices. o_O
Modular Power Suits
It is really hard to choose just one mod out of the entire pack, but if I had to it would probably be this. The amount of configuration that you can add to the pieces is just amazing. My armour consists of elite batteries for every piece at the lowest capacity, a jet pack, flight control, and movement speed boosts. I don't care much for the actual protection aspect of the armour as if I get into a fight, I can just run and lava isn't an issue since I have a tunnel bore. The main reason I love this mod is the speed, and you can change the looks of the armour, and even without those features, the speed that the armour is capable of is great.
Forestry and Extrabees
Minecraft is a tough game for me to enjoy sometimes as I'm more of a person that enjoys a tiered system rather than the sandbox openness that makes Minecraft what it is. That alone is the reason of why I moved on to mods and one of the reasons I like this combination. I recently started my first run through bees and currently have 2 alvearies set up and plan on making more. The tiered system of bees is something that I really enjoy, and also, who doesn't love references? Timely, Lordly, and Doctoral bees anyone? The bee system is a type of production system that I enjoy as when you first start out, at least for me, you are constantly going back to check if there are enough materials for something, or if the bee has died and gotten the mutation needed to get some other product. Another aspect would be the trees. I recently got the ebony tree (that took a while >.>) and got started on working my main bee production base in the middle of an ocean. The color of planks and the design of the logs that the new trees add are amazing. I like the default (well in this case Faithful) wood texture, but I have never really been pleased with the color.

Those are some of the mods that I enjoy, and I will probably add more as I see comments flow in. Let's have fun with this and try to dig out some of the features that may not be used as much as well.

EDIT: I forgot one o.o
Twilight Forest
This mod is just spectacular. It adds a ton of great features and puzzles to try and figure out. The new mobs are interesting to fight and defeat, especially the boss ones. It definitely brings back the feeling of dangerous exploration even pretty late into the game. I have yet to face a Hydra and I hope I can soon, but I have seen a few Youtubers face off against the beast and can't wait to try it in a survival environment. The dark forest towers are fun with the mazes and the blocks that add a path in the way you are facing with a redstone pulse. Definitely a mod to play with and I would recommend to everyone. I have a few people on my server who hate TF and I have no response because I am just amazed someone could dislike it in general.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower:
Do I even need to explain. I use redstone a lot and the wires, cables, and microblocks make stuff a lot easier and builds are much nicer looking. But Deployers, frames, and block breakers almost essential IMO. Marble and basalt are pretty good for building as well. But I really love everything in that mod.

Wireless Redstone:
I wish this was in vanilla(you can make ghetto wireless redstone using command blocks sorta) but this is so useful for redstone builds, being able to make complicated logic gates separately makes things so much easier and compact

Computercraft:
I'm still kinda new to it and I am horrible at Lua. But I love the mod so much, seeing all the things that you can do with it, from password doors to a program that will build you houses. It is an amazing mod and definitely one of my favorites

Reactions: electroscape

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion: The machines are sexy, smart and intuitive. Everything about the mod is really well done.

TC3: I absolutely love the changes he's made. Researching makes a lot of sense and the items you can create are not only amazing, but incredibly useful. Also, golems.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Treecapitator: fixes vanilla

Optifine: fixes vanilla

Enchanting mods: improves vanilla by not making you waste EXP.

Better Villagers: fixes vanilla.

any mod that increases emerald spawn: makes emeralds exist.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Redpower2: Really, how do I even begin? Red Alloy Wire and Logic Gates alone would make this mod a must-have. Microblock technology went well beyond my expectations. Rational Tube logic and Filters/Sorting Machines/etc.. makes keeping your ill-gotten gains well managed a snap. Then there's Frames. Oh my god so many frames. Any of these features would have been worthy of an entire mod. And this has them all.

Thermal Expansion: Some of the concepts introduced by this mod are simply amazing. Not just 'pulverize to get more ingots out of ores', which IC2 did long ago, but customizing side input/output functionality from within the GUI is just revolutionary. Automatically spitting things out to inventory/pipe on the output face makes for cleaner builds. For this alone, I could love this mod. Well, and the fact that it runs on MJ instead of its own power system. But no, he had to go and bring to us Redstone Conduits, Redstone Energy Cells, and Liquiducts, which are just so much win. Then came Tesseracts, which caused me to bow and decry my unworthiness.

Modular Powersuits: Aside from an awesome mod author who is fairly good at keeping the mod up to date and revised, plus listens to the community about suggestions for options, it's a very solid mod. One of the few reasons I used IC2 after TE came out, other than sheer habit, was the Drill and Chainsaw and the armor. This is a perfect stand-alone mod which works excellently well in mod packs for providing teched-out tools which are easily customizable.

Thaumcraft 3: Oh gods, yes please. TC2 was awesome in its own right, but this just... words have not yet been invented to describe the amount of Win and Awesome that went into this mod. The concepts are simple, yet implementation is complex. In-game resource material is amazing, and helps even the rawest newbie get themselves going into the mod. It also keeps track of your progression within the mod, to let you know what you have unlocked, and give clues about what you might be able to unlock next. Plus a transportation system that wasn't Yet Another Pipe.

EnchantingPlus: Because I don't want to have to spend four hours trying to get the right enchants on my equipment, even though it isn't all that big of a resource-sink. A must-have for any LPer!

CraftGuide: I know, a lot of people like NEI. It does have functionality which CraftGuide doesn't have. However, CraftGuide is a lot less invasive and CPU hogging, and doesn't come with a Cheat Mode built in. I also like the separate window CraftGuide brings up with a simple hotkey to look up recipes, and the superior search and sort functionality. Again, I'm not knocking NEI, it just doesn't fit my play style.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
EnchantingPlus: Because I don't want to have to spend four hours trying to get the right enchants on my equipment, even though it isn't all that big of a resource-sink. A must-have for any LPer!

I think I would be ok with it if it hand some added darw back to enchanting. Just being able to pick, transfer, and remove seems a bit much to me.

But I can totaly see the advantage to the mod.

Reactions: electroscape

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think I would be ok with it if it hand some added darw back to enchanting. Just being able to pick, transfer, and remove seems a bit much to me.

it costs more. Getting the same enchants that are possible in a lvl30 enchant (say... F3, U3, E4) would cost upwards of 40 levels. There is a drawback there to counteract its sheer awesomeness

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

For LPers who are making their income off of their videos, there's an enormous time-sink off camera that people generally don't see. For example, Vechs tells you 'okay, I time skipped a few hours here so I can get some decent enchants' or whatever, from time to time. It's not difficult, once you have an xp farm then xp costs are effectively meaningless, it's just going through all the hassles trying to find a decent enchant. Books help, yes, but they aren't the end-all-be-all, and not all enchants (particularly not all mod-added enchants) can go on a book.

Honestly, I was displeased with the randomness of enchanting from the get-go. It tries to be artificial difficulty, but fails completely at being anything other than a time-sink. And not everyone has the time to devote to the game.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
it costs more. Getting the same enchants that are possible in a lvl30 enchant (say... F3, U3, E4) would cost upwards of 40 levels. There is a drawback there to counteract its sheer awesomeness

OH really? OK then I'm cool with that.

Now when just need it summon Nyarlathotep randomly if you hit max enchants on an idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1365389908][/DOUBLEPOST]
For LPers who are making their income off of their videos, there's an enormous time-sink off camera that people generally don't see. For example, Vechs tells you 'okay, I time skipped a few hours here so I can get some decent enchants' or whatever, from time to time. It's not difficult, once you have an xp farm then xp costs are effectively meaningless, it's just going through all the hassles trying to find a decent enchant. Books help, yes, but they aren't the end-all-be-all, and not all enchants (particularly not all mod-added enchants) can go on a book.

Honestly, I was displeased with the randomness of enchanting from the get-go. It tries to be artificial difficulty, but fails completely at being anything other than a time-sink. And not everyone has the time to devote to the game.

*looks at his huge book collection in every world he plays in* Um I got no issues with the randomness of book enchatment. But to each their own.

Juice57

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech: Adds to the difficulty of achieving God mode. It makes no sense to run around in Quantum and be playing survival mode. Just turn on creative and stop kidding yourself people.
Computercraft: A program inside a program replaces RP2 Logic RP2 Computer.
Logistics Pipes: Smarter than AE when it comes to crafting for now. Multi Dimension Storage Access
Optifine: When 2600K and 6870 just isnt enough.
Muse's Powersuit: Again not god mode still expensive to make

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 3: because at heart i am a wizard, and thaumcraft and some other magic mods are the closest i can get in minecraft

Any mod that adds dungeons/structures/places to explore: why? because exploring is my favorite thing to do in minecraft :p

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Modular Powersuits and Thaumcraft stand out as great designs. Few mods are as artfully and carefully crafted as Twilight Forest; it's just a crazy ambitious project. Xeno's Reliquary is just a fun mod, and it's nice to see someone who has a kind of "hit-a-power-chord-leaping-through-an-exploding-church-window je ne sais quoi."

Non FTB: Biomes O Plenty is totally captivating me tonight. It's flippin' mind blowing! And with the integration mod, it's actually slightly better supported than ExtremeBiomesXL! FTB should use this mod. The first magical grove you find is an awe-inspiring experience.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
*looks at his huge book collection in every world he plays in* Um I got no issues with the randomness of book enchatment. But to each their own.
There's many enchants that don't happen on books. Particularly from TC3. So the only way to get these is to enchant an item and get lucky. This is mostly a time-saver.

I'll agree, books are a good thing. But it doesn't cover all bases ever.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
There's many enchants that don't happen on books. Particularly from TC3. So the only way to get these is to enchant an item and get lucky. This is mostly a time-saver.

Don't happen?

Repair Check
Charging Check
Soul stealing sooooooo many Checks
Treasure Check

I can not think of a single enchant I have not gotten on a book.

EDIT: just to be sure I checked Creative mode and yes there is books for every enchantment.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

One solution to this is to add another mod: immbis liquid XP. This gives you a very balanced but much more controllable way to farm XP and turn it into enchants. I highly recommend it.[DOUBLEPOST=1365392927][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't happen?

Repair Check
Charging Check
Treasure Check

I think this has changed recently. Also it sucks that Disjunction tends to crowd out the table; its relative probability is enormous in the ftb packs.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
TC3, EE3, and XR: Just plain out awesome mods. Golems, Minium stones, and Sojourners staff are quiet possibly my favorite items from each.

Modular Powersuits: My favorite mod probably. Nuff Said.

ComputerCraft: Amazing, simply amazing.

Thermal Expansion

And obviously BuildCraft.

And MFR.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Don't happen?

Repair Check
Charging Check
Treasure Check

EDIT: just to be sure I checked Creative mode and yes there is books for every enchantment.
Out of several thousand books created, I have not received any of these books. Either I have phenomenally bad luck, or I am on a different version than you are.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Out of several thousand books created, I have not received any of these books. Either I have phenomenally bad luck, or I am on a different version than you are.

Random is random.

I do all my enchants at 30 and tend to do a stack of books in a sitting. I use unwanted books as aspect fodder for Thaumcraft.