Favorite Mod(s) and Why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Random is random.

I do all my enchants at 30 and tend to do a stack of books in a sitting. I use unwanted books as aspect fodder for Thaumcraft.
I set up a DW20 auto-enchanting setup hooked up to a blaze farm keeping my HP boiler going. Hundreds of books are made while I'm off making my next project.

I suspect we are on different versions, because DW20 hasn't gotten any Repair or Soul Steal books either.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a DW20 auto-enchanting setup hooked up to a blaze farm keeping my HP boiler going. Hundreds of books are made while I'm off making my next project.

I suspect we are on different versions, because DW20 hasn't gotten any Repair or Soul Steal books either.

Mindcrack and I just do it all by hand.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion: because it has so much generally useful stuff and the machines inter-operate well.
Enchanting+: I first used it today, but quickly decided it's awesome. Before now I didn't really do enchanting because it was too annoying.
Portal Gun: Because it's a portal gun. And there's turrets and longfall boots too :D
Dimensional Doors: Great way to set up a nexus between players' bases, and for linking together different parts of my base easily. Nicer to use than portalgun or Mystcraft portals.
MPS: Epic Win. In a cave. With a box of scraps! :D
GT: So much content.
Xycraft: I love the tanks and fabricator and the glass.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019

DW20 here also and what Shoop says is correct, you can get all the TC enchants on books. We have an xp turtle doing the job on our server and we are swimming in repair, disjunction, treasure, charging and soul stealer.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
My favourite mods:
ComputerCraft: Im a programmer so it replaces most of redpower logic and WR-CBE, also i can use it as a quarry and make it transport items with turtles and without pipes
MPS: Oh that joy when flying from the coordinates 0, 0 to 1000, 1000 in 30 seconds.
Twilight Forest: I just love the world gen, nuff said
ExtraBees: Because i didnt have enough bees in forestry
Thermal Expansion: i wish every mod adapted the i/o system that this mod does
GregTech: so much content and i have enough time so i dont care about getting an extra stack of rubies to make what i need

RurouniTim

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 3: In any game I play, I tend to prefer ranged combat to close up pvp, and Thaumcraft makes that possible beyond a simple bow and arrows. I feel in my element to be able to shoot fire at my enemies from a distance. I'm also a big fan of the research system and many of the items added in it. The worldgen is a nice touch too.
Gregtech: I know I'll get tons of hate for saying this, but I don't like IndustrialCraft. It's so overpowered that it's basically working your way into creative mode. I tested some of the features and they just don't suit my playstyle. As a server owner, I like Gregtech for making quantum armor even more difficult to obtain. The only reason I'm running IC on my server is that it's the biggest reason most of the people on my server supported the switch to FTB from vanilla.
Twilight Forest: I love how the TF adds so much content for players like me who enjoy exploring. The bosses are difficult if you don't come prepared, and it's just a fun experience.
Redpower: I enjoy the miniblocks, flax, and some of the ores.
XyCraft: I enjoy the ores and the blocks they can be made into.
XtraBiomes XL: Adds a lot of diversity to the terrain generation.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
XR: brings back memories. I may not use it much since I play on peaceful, but it's still a great mod.
EE2: it was fun for me. but I'm not playing the correct way and I'm not a true man.
RP2: charcoal blocks.
Thaumcraft3: would be nice if they kept the research system, but you could still make stuff if you remembered how. You'd still have a way of learning without using a wiki, but the people who didn't want to, could.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower: Because Marble and Red Alloy wires. I've never bothered with its energy system, maybe if I switch to a new server or something.
Thermal Expansion: It's so user friendly, I'm always amazed. Great functionality and I just love Redstone Energy Conduits. And the idea of filling those things with molten redstone. That's genius.
Iron Chests: Do I need to explain?
Modular Powersuits: I feels overpowered at times but also very expensive so I guess by the time you can build a fully functional state of the art suit you could be doing whatever you want anyway. I don't leave my home without wearing my powersuit.
Railcraft: Steam Engines and the Iron Tanks allow me to build huge power stations and liquid storage areas that span a full sized quarry area down to bedrock that fill me with pride. I'm also working on a facility design that will allow me to use minecarts to travel around and give people tours, but it involves starting over and a lot more time.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Logistics pipes: Its great, its perfect for so many things, while i do feel it can be op, its just great.
Forestry/Extra bees: I love these mods, i always loved using buildcraft power (back when it wasnt "cool" ) and bees are INCREDIBLE
Redpower: Yeaaaah, frames are good for lots of builds, stuff like block breakers, deployers, i use them all the time and pnuematic tubes are so intelligent, without logistics pipes i can still have smart pipes

Reactions: dgdas9

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Logistics pipes: Its great, its perfect for so many things, while i do feel it can be op, its just great.
Forestry/Extra bees: I love these mods, i always loved using buildcraft power (back when it wasnt "cool" ) and bees are INCREDIBLE
Redpower: Yeaaaah, frames are good for lots of builds, stuff like block breakers, deployers, i use them all the time and pnuematic tubes are so intelligent, without logistics pipes i can still have smart pipes
If you're referring to 1.2.5 or beyond, that was because there was no way to store MJ.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, conductive pipes did not explode, so like normal it was just about having constant power, biofuel, biomass or fuel :c
Also there was less uses for MJ.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
No, just done like the look of it, i like having my items in chests :C not the ME interface, also i dont always like change XD

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
No, just done like the look of it, i like having my items in chests :C not the ME interface,

There are ME Chests and they give you all the benefits of chests. There are also storage interfaces that literally let you use chests as ME storage. They even work with ender chests and understand barrels and UE crates.

also i dont always like change XD

Life is too short.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Rei's Minimap or Voxel Map: Because I have the directional sense of a hearing-impaired bat.
Thermal Expansion: Easy to use and Intuitive machines, consistent recipes, energy cells and tesseracts.
MPS: Modular armor + Flight = Awesome.
MFR: Like the farms and animal breeders. Love the liquids, sludge, sewage, and mob essence. Safari nets are nice, too.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Hands down, above all of them I have to go with just one clearly ahead of even RP2's crazy good total package.

Ars Magica

Check out DW20's two mod spotlight videos for a BASIC rundown. Try it yourself to see why this is unparalleled by any other single mod I know of. The spell creation system alone has 70^(3x5) different potential combinations. Yes, that is not exaggerated at all. :eek: A unique power system (in visuals at least) and some VERY interesting stuff all over the place. Tons of new worldgen in the form of abandoned wizard towers and dungeons. A wizard villager that actually fights. NPC factions that will attack one another with various spells. A block that can actually repair anything with durability. And a thousand other things, of varying awesomeness. There is already some connections with Thaumcraft (they're both based on the same source) with more to come.

And it is still very early in development! :eek: :eek: :eek:

To make it even sweeter...it's confirmed by the author Mithion on his own mod thread on the MC forums that the Direwolf20 pack will have it in the near future. :D

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 3. I loved TC2, and TC3 is even more fun. Only gripe is how I drain the Aura too fast, probably need to get some Crystal Clusters at the node.

Modular Powersuits. That mod is so fun, I got sick of the constant race to Quantum on most servers I play on, and the Powersuit upgrades are a refreshing pace and I love the customization possibilities.

Twilight Forest. It's so atmospheric and lovely, just wish there was a tad more loot and places to explore.

Mystcraft. Mainly 'cause I played a lot of the Myst series as a kid, and anything with that name makes me happy.

Applied Energistics. I have so much random crap around this is a godsend in terms of storage. And it runs off of both MJs and EU.

Forestry/Thaumic Bees/Extra Bees. Because bees.

Mods I'm looking forward to for more stuff? Xycraft and EE3. I've seen Pahimar's livestreams and the stuff looks so cool.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica seems huuugely FPS intensive... all those particle effects seem like such a killer.
I haven't really had much trouble yet that I've noticed on my somewhat older system. I have more problems from machine setups from the regular ultimate stuff (and no optifine) than anything in Ars Magica. Be it luck or not, all seems to be going very well. :)

Depending on one's settings and system, personal mileage may vary but it is giving me no problems at all.