Factorization barrels with Builcraft pipes

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks last question, my inverium drop has an ID of 9296:1 not 9296 like the Crrystallizer is expecting, what to do with it?

Edit: Nvm got it was missing the heater!

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
In theory? Haven't really sat down and theorized. It's a failing of mine: I tend to build my systems from the result back to how to do it, and then refine it later, usually seeing some of what others have done as a way to learn what I may have missed the first time through. As there's still so little online about the Routers (quetzi put something up this past week and I haven't found the time/attention span to watch it, it's on my to-do list), it's hard for me to compare notes and see what quirks I may be missing.

One thing I have found in my testing is that my routers with a machine filter have a much crazier range than I assumed before. When I was trying (futilely) to have a router send charcoal to a bank of IC2 Generators (note of the day: Factorization Routers can't see vanilla IC2 machines in their Machine Filter mode due to the way the IC2 machines are coded) I ended up cycling through a list that was basically every inventory of every non-IC2 machine, chest, and whatnot in the whole bloody chunk I was in, including what was upstairs a couple levels, and then some. I haven't had time to go back and see exactly how far and how crazy the range really is, though, so there's some uncharted territory I think.

Ain't new mods fun? ;)

you gave me good idea to use the machine filter to only address the barrels. thank you! :D

Saitaer

Jul 29, 2019
So, I love the routers and barrel combination, mostly. I've been trying for days and just can't figure out 1 piece. I need to be able to handle overflow or unsorted items.

I tried adding the thoroughness upgrade, thinking that it would put all items in the first barrel it found that would except it. I then stuck a chest at the end of the barrel wall for any other items to go into. I noticed that depending on where the barrel was located, it would sometimes split the items 50/50 with the barrel and the chest. I tried extending out the wall further and putting the chest further away but it always had some edge case that caused it to split items.

Second attempt was adding empty barrels in the hopes that if the first barrel filled up, it would just start filling another barrel. With the thoroughness upgrade that's the behavior I expected. However, in my 3 long by 3 high wall of barrels, if it was filling the middle row, it would spread them across all barrels in the middle row but ignore the top and bottom.

I know I have to be missing something simple, so many people praise the router and barrels for it's sorting capability. I'm sure someone else wants to have a full barrel of cobblestone, and be able to automatically recycle or dispose of excess without clogging up the system.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I've played with routers a bit but don't know it all for making a video on them just yet, hence to say I have them working pretty well. Have a look at the screenshot below, you can just see the routers in the left corner. There's 2 of them next to each other and a gold chest in between them and the crafting table (which hides the chest in the screenshot. These 2 routers feed all those barrels that you can see, I have the quarry come back and offload into the gold chest and the first router picks the items up and ejects them into the second router. The first router has an ejector (to eject to 2nd router), bandwidth(to pick up stacks at a time) and machine filter upgrade (lets me choose the gold chest). The second router has machine and bandwidth upgrades, so I can tell it just to fill up the barrels and nothing else.

The routing system though is a little plagued atm through no fault of it's own, the FTB pack has so many different ore IDs atm you have to have a barrel for each one, hopefully this is fixed and streamlined when it has a next major update.

http://s16.postimage.org/e6g2m37ol/2012_12_07_15_27_51.png

Saitaer

Jul 29, 2019
I love all these setups, truly. But what happens when your quarry dumps more cobble in than your barrel can hold? Router just sits there with cobble in it and stops processing?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I love all these setups, truly. But what happens when your quarry dumps more cobble in than your barrel can hold? Router just sits there with cobble in it and stops processing?

If you're going to barrel the "crap" from a quarry you need contingency plans otherwise, barrel fills up, spills rest into world. So you have several choices, but by far the best is:

http://s12.postimage.org/ydbvcdir1/2012_12_07_16_52_22.png

Void pipe on the end, so if there's no room at the Inn you get blasted into the void.

And if you meant crap coming back in to my base sorting system, well I don't do that, if I need any crap I do like the screen shot shows and dump it at source.

4ceher0

Jul 29, 2019
*gets rid of silly diamond pipe sorters* Completely forgot about these items, super useful. What attachments am i going to need

Saitaer

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to barrel the "crap" from a quarry you need contingency plans otherwise, barrel fills up, spills rest into world. So you have several choices, but by far the best is:

http://s12.postimage.org/ydbvcdir1/2012_12_07_16_52_22.png

Void pipe on the end, so if there's no room at the Inn you get blasted into the void.

And if you meant crap coming back in to my base sorting system, well I don't do that, if I need any crap I do like the screen shot shows and dump it at source.

For a quarry I would use a void pipe like that. I'm more concerned about things such as peat or wheat or wood from my farms. I want to send it into the sorting system using a router, but I don't see any way to deal with an excess number. If there isn't a way I guess I'll just need to deal with it manually, but I was hoping someone had already thought of something.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
What happens when your chest fills, unless I missed something the exact same thing, the items spill....

Saitaer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm talking about using the Router to distribute items to the barrels, not pipes. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of excess items from the router if there is no valid destination, rather than having the router just sit idle with a stack of junk in it.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
So, I love the routers and barrel combination, mostly. I've been trying for days and just can't figure out 1 piece. I need to be able to handle overflow or unsorted items.

I tried adding the thoroughness upgrade, thinking that it would put all items in the first barrel it found that would except it. I then stuck a chest at the end of the barrel wall for any other items to go into. I noticed that depending on where the barrel was located, it would sometimes split the items 50/50 with the barrel and the chest. I tried extending out the wall further and putting the chest further away but it always had some edge case that caused it to split items.

Second attempt was adding empty barrels in the hopes that if the first barrel filled up, it would just start filling another barrel. With the thoroughness upgrade that's the behavior I expected. However, in my 3 long by 3 high wall of barrels, if it was filling the middle row, it would spread them across all barrels in the middle row but ignore the top and bottom.

I know I have to be missing something simple, so many people praise the router and barrels for it's sorting capability. I'm sure someone else wants to have a full barrel of cobblestone, and be able to automatically recycle or dispose of excess without clogging up the system.

I'm facing this problem under certain circumstances too
I can feel your pain :3

I think its due to a "reload-timer" of the barrel, cause at the moment the barrel is already processing incoming stuff so the router jumps over it.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
What happens when your chest fills, unless I missed something the exact same thing, the items spill....
It depends. A standard barrel holds 64 Stacks (4096 pieces) - if that limit is reached, yes, the router goes on hold with the next stack "in hand". The pre-routing-chest should be a golden (5184 items / 81 stacks) or diamond (6912 items / 108 stacks) chest and you probably should think about placing at least 3 or 4 barrels next to the router (creating a space of 12288/3barrels or 16384/4barrels). Now, give said standard barrel the upgrade Factorization has (for barrels) and you have a barrel thats capable of holding 1024 stacks. Which, in items, is 65536 items in this single barrel alone. Thats a hefty pack of cobblestone. ;) Oh and concerning the "chest fills up" problem, there are router upgrades that make routers handle slots (like halve, or full stacks) at once, combined with the speed upgrade, you'd have to have a ton of quarries working next to that chest, in order for the router to hiccup on the amount of items. That is, using Vauthils router-setup, which I can recommend.
I'm talking about using the Router to distribute items to the barrels, not pipes. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of excess items from the router if there is no valid destination, rather than having the router just sit idle with a stack of junk in it.
I'm pondering about that myself. Though its not THAT big of a deal for me, as I have setup three floors of 1-item-barrel-walls before activating the router (thus not letting the router decide where to put stuff in the first place, as the router always uses a barrel holding the same item already over a new barrel - but that first setup was handmade, ofc) with just about all the stuff that comes into my pipes (from quarries etc), so theres rarely "junk" blocking my router - but an "I do not have any inventoryspot for item X - reroute it to destination Y" would be a nice upgrade idea.

OTT: I'd like to have a fakebarrel. Or a barrelconnector or something along those lines for more complicated barrel setups. As it is right now, I placed a single barrel on floor height, filled it up with 64 stacks of cobble and continued my way down (s.a.: 3 floors with barrelwalls). This is working, but it would be nice, to have a legit (read: Not having to spawn in 12k+ cobblestone) way to connect barrelwalls to each other. But thats may be just me.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it jams too easy but at least you can see what's jamming it, one huge bug bear I have with RP machines like the sorter is when it stops you have to figure out what's blocking it.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Has somebody getting a working barrel setup with a quick drop chest + overfill chest?
I cant get a 100% working setup.

At the moment I'm using routers to extract all items of the quickdrop,
sending them to a peripherie of working stations to convert items into something else (e.g. Wood to planks etc)
after that they reach another router setup to push the items into the barrel rows.
if somethings stuck, it emits a redstone signal to a engine and the items are getting pumped out of the router into an overfill chest.

But sometimes items are slipping through even though the router should be able to send them and are getting pumped out.

My problem now is, that routers are deactivated via redstone! so I have to do

router router chest
and on the chest is the pipe with an autarchic gate,
but this leads to malfunctioning.
:-/[DOUBLEPOST=1355002584][/DOUBLEPOST]
It depends. A standard barrel holds 64 Stacks (4096 pieces) - if that limit is reached, yes, the router goes on hold with the next stack "in hand". The pre-routing-chest should be a golden (5184 items / 81 stacks) or diamond (6912 items / 108 stacks) chest and you probably should think about placing at least 3 or 4 barrels next to the router (creating a space of 12288/3barrels or 16384/4barrels). Now, give said standard barrel the upgrade Factorization has (for barrels) and you have a barrel thats capable of holding 1024 stacks. Which, in items, is 65536 items in this single barrel alone. Thats a hefty pack of cobblestone. ;) Oh and concerning the "chest fills up" problem, there are router upgrades that make routers handle slots (like halve, or full stacks) at once, combined with the speed upgrade, you'd have to have a ton of quarries working next to that chest, in order for the router to hiccup on the amount of items. That is, using Vauthils router-setup, which I can recommend.

I'm pondering about that myself. Though its not THAT big of a deal for me, as I have setup three floors of 1-item-barrel-walls before activating the router (thus not letting the router decide where to put stuff in the first place, as the router always uses a barrel holding the same item already over a new barrel - but that first setup was handmade, ofc) with just about all the stuff that comes into my pipes (from quarries etc), so theres rarely "junk" blocking my router - but an "I do not have any inventoryspot for item X - reroute it to destination Y" would be a nice upgrade idea.

OTT: I'd like to have a fakebarrel. Or a barrelconnector or something along those lines for more complicated barrel setups. As it is right now, I placed a single barrel on floor height, filled it up with 64 stacks of cobble and continued my way down (s.a.: 3 floors with barrelwalls). This is working, but it would be nice, to have a legit (read: Not having to spawn in 12k+ cobblestone) way to connect barrelwalls to each other. But thats may be just me.

you can use the machine upgrade
put chests or something like that as filler elements
select all machines
and then barrels only

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
if somethings stuck, it emits a redstone signal to a engine and the items are getting pumped out of the router into an overfill chest.
Which part is emitting the RS signal?

you can use the machine upgrade
put chests or something like that as filler elements
select all machines
and then barrels only
Let me get this straight - you mean a setup connected to routers like this:
XXXXXOXXXXX
XXXXXOXXXXX
XXXXXOXXXXX
(where X being barrels, O being a chest) would be recognized as "one system" by the router (set to barrels only)? Heh..did not think of that - and it would indeed make things.. way cheaper. =)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The only issue with routers is it doesn't put lots of items in 1 place, if there's an available space it will spread out the items to all available places, so if you had 3 chests like your diagram shows it would split a stack of 64 items between all 3 chests and any available space in a barrel.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Which part is emitting the RS signal?

Let me get this straight - you mean a setup connected to routers like this:
XXXXXOXXXXX
XXXXXOXXXXX
XXXXXOXXXXX
(where X being barrels, O being a chest) would be recognized as "one system" by the router (set to barrels only)? Heh..did not think of that - and it would indeed make things.. way cheaper. =)

autarchic gate
its so diffi
maybe I should go back to the diamond gate
even though its expensive and ubercomplicated its 100% reliable
and later on you can upgrade it to LogisticPipes if introduced to FTB

and yes
that way you can "overcome" far distances
you can even use furnaces and other crap,
since people tend to have loads of cobble (I already turned of my quarry on the third EXTENDED barrell lol)[DOUBLEPOST=1355032997][/DOUBLEPOST]
The only issue with routers is it doesn't put lots of items in 1 place, if there's an available space it will spread out the items to all available places, so if you had 3 chests like your diagram shows it would split a stack of 64 items between all 3 chests and any available space in a barrel.

indeed
therefor I intend to do connected rows instead of squares
but even then the router with throughness upgrade jumps over the barrel now and then