Factorization barrels with Builcraft pipes

Johny Idler

Jul 29, 2019
Are they meant to work together? I am piping out wood, saplings and apples out of cargo manager with wooden pipe. They go to cobblestone pipes that are connected to several barrels. But they never go inside barrels. I tried empty barrels and I tried barrel "initialized" by the correct material (eg. wood, sapling and apple in each of the barrels) but the items still just go to the end of the pipe and pop out. Am I doing something wrong?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure you'r running the pipes over the barrels.
Barrels allow insertion from the top and extraction from the bottom as far as i know.

Johny Idler

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, well, thank you, it works (inserting from the top). I thought I saw pneumatic tubes inserting into barrels from the back (Forgecraft videos). I know that tubes aren't pipes, but I thought barrels would treat both the same. Futhermore inserting from the top is kinda problematic when you want to create wall of barrels.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you won't be able to make a full wall of barrels with them, but at least if you cover up the pipes with covers it'll look kinda neat.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Long-term suggestion: If you want a wall of barrels, consider handling your sorting using Factorization's own Router, then.

(Screeenshot of what I'm looking at inside our SMP "warehouse" right now)

Attachments

• 2012-11-30_03.09.08.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 1,029

Johny Idler

Jul 29, 2019
That looks very nice, could you show your warehouse from the inside? ;-)

Edit: Ah-hah! One router can feed the whole barrel wall. I had no idea. I thougt it can only feed/extract from one line of inventories. This is very cool. Is there a maximum range or maximum number of inventories one router can serve?

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
is there maybe a good tutorial for the router + barrel setup?
is there any way to automate it? I tried using barrels with BC pipes
but it isnt working right the way I want cause the _need_ to be feeded from top

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
That looks very nice, could you show your warehouse from the inside? ;-)

Edit: Ah-hah! One router can feed the whole barrel wall. I had no idea. I thougt it can only feed/extract from one line of inventories. This is very cool. Is there a maximum range or maximum number of inventories one router can serve?

I haven't run into a limit yet, but a note is that the system will get progressively slower the more you add (Speed Boost Router Upgrade exists for this reason). The limits probably are somewhere around where you might think it's a little insane.

is there maybe a good tutorial for the router + barrel setup?
is there any way to automate it? I tried using barrels with BC pipes
but it isnt working right the way I want cause the _need_ to be feeded from top

Unfortunately that got put up a little ad hoc and with some trial-and-error because not a lot of people play with Routers, but here's a quick rundown of what I did on the initial setup (with some screens). Luckily I included signs with the install and the bits that were added later also got signs. =)

The picture is a basic rundown of how it's setup. The important items for starters are the two routers and the silver chest (why silver? Lots of copper + lots of silver means that's my go-to chest upgrade path for random chests I make). The way it's designed to work is that items to be sorted go into the silver chest. One router pulls a stack of items at a time from the chest and ejects those to a second router that then sends the whole stack off to the barrels. As you can see, I placed them kind of backwards; this is because I wanted the place where items without a valid barrel to be more accessible for people who didn't understand the system; clearing a "jam" because an item doesn't have a good barrel to go to then simply means you open that router and pull out.

The "Extractor" router has a Machine Filter Upgrade, a Bandwidth Upgrade, and an Ejector Upgrade. Machine Filter is set to Extract from the silver chest (it sees the name as SILVER), it's set to Eject to north (the direction of the other Router in this case; also note that the cardinal directions on the router correspond to the colors you see on their side and that these directions are inverted compared to what you may think they are via Rei's minimap; always check the colors when it doubt!), and I have it pulling from all slots (so it'll run through the entire chest).

The "Sorter" router is set to Insert into top sides (these are barrels) and to visit all Barrels in the system.

Now, things to make sure of? First off, before you start putting things into the chest, you need to run through all the barrels and make sure each one has an item. Routers send things haphazardly to all valid inventories: this means if you leave barrels empty you run the risk of having those 64 stacks of cobble spread out among all of your barrels! The best advice I can give is to only include the barrels you're going to actually use in your initial system, and to add barrels as you need them. Now, if you want to get fancy and forward-thinking, you can also run and put one of each of various items into the barrels as placeholders for the future; just keep in mind that any of that item that enters the system will evenly distribute between the barrels holding that item.

(Now if you're curious about the "Quarry" chest and the turtle in that configuration, they got added by another server member later to handle our quarry output; the ender chest is keyed to the colors for the ender chests attached to our quarries, and the turtle sits there and sucks things out of the chest and sends "trash" -- dirt, cobble, et al. -- on their way down to a void pipe while the rest ends up sorted in the chest. There are many other ways to do this, this is just the one that we ended up with this go-round).

That's the basics. There are more elegant ways of putting it all together, but I've been lazy and haven't bothered revising the system since it works for us. =)

Attachments

• 2012-11-30_08.23.26.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 829

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
what would the elegant version be in theory? this already sounds super awesome :D
but though it wont work for me, cause I dont want such a barrel wall though its neat, but doesnt fit into my current world.
I have small lil tents with themes as "stone", "food" etc
so I have lil clusters and atm I have 1 router for each cluster, cause I dont want to connect all clusters by some random chests filled with some crap.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
what would the elegant version be in theory? this already sounds super awesome :D
but though it wont work for me, cause I dont want such a barrel wall though its neat, but doesnt fit into my current world.
I have small lil tents with themes as "stone", "food" etc
so I have lil clusters and atm I have 1 router for each cluster, cause I dont want to connect all clusters by some random chests filled with some crap.
In theory? Haven't really sat down and theorized. It's a failing of mine: I tend to build my systems from the result back to how to do it, and then refine it later, usually seeing some of what others have done as a way to learn what I may have missed the first time through. As there's still so little online about the Routers (quetzi put something up this past week and I haven't found the time/attention span to watch it, it's on my to-do list), it's hard for me to compare notes and see what quirks I may be missing.

One thing I have found in my testing is that my routers with a machine filter have a much crazier range than I assumed before. When I was trying (futilely) to have a router send charcoal to a bank of IC2 Generators (note of the day: Factorization Routers can't see vanilla IC2 machines in their Machine Filter mode due to the way the IC2 machines are coded) I ended up cycling through a list that was basically every inventory of every non-IC2 machine, chest, and whatnot in the whole bloody chunk I was in, including what was upstairs a couple levels, and then some. I haven't had time to go back and see exactly how far and how crazy the range really is, though, so there's some uncharted territory I think.

Ain't new mods fun? ;)

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Nice work Vauthil. This is going to be my next thing to do with routers I think. I've noticed routers in some places being able to access almost every machine in my base, up to a couple of chunks away. My tree farm, wheat farm and peat bog are all in a row and from my main building across the way the router can 'see' all six machines. With enough enderpearls you could pretty much do all your item transfers wirelessly from an underground server room. Sooo cool. :D

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm interesting. Definitely something I'm going to try next, since currently we have an old-fashioned loop sorting system, at least until Logistics Pipes comes out.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Vauthil I'm using your set up (or similar) but finding the sorter router puts items back into the chest that the first router picks up from, does yours?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Vauthil I'm using your set up (or similar) but finding the sorter router puts items back into the chest that the first router picks up from, does yours?
Machine Filter, specify barrels only. =)

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
--snip--

(Now if you're curious about the "Quarry" chest and the turtle in that configuration, they got added by another server member later to handle our quarry output; the ender chest is keyed to the colors for the ender chests attached to our quarries, and the turtle sits there and sucks things out of the chest and sends "trash" -- dirt, cobble, et al. -- on their way down to a void pipe while the rest ends up sorted in the chest. There are many other ways to do this, this is just the one that we ended up with this go-round).

--snip--

hmmm though i use turtles for pretty much everyting for this i always use railcraft itemloaders/unloaders, they are alot less laggy, just an item loader, loading into a chestcart which then is imediatly unloaded by an unloader, at one point i was actually using this setup to extract coolant cells from a nuclear reactor, its pretty fast and you can specify what you want it to take out.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
How did you make Inverium Drop it doesn't seem to make and all I can find is that this version of Factorization is bugged?

Recipe I found was:

L G L
G D G
L G L

L=Lead, G=Gold, D=Diamond

But that doesn't craft

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
You have to use the darker lead specific to Factorization. You're using the lighter lead, aren't you? Craft and uncraft a lead block to get the necessary lead.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
How did you make Inverium Drop it doesn't seem to make and all I can find is that this version of Factorization is bugged?

Recipe I found was:

L G L
G D G
L G L

L=Lead, G=Gold, D=Diamond

But that doesn't craft

If you have non-Factorization Lead (the gray lead, 20257:67), turn it into a block and pull it back out. This'll give you Factorization Lead (9270). This is fixed in newer versions of Factorization.