ExtraBiomesXL vs. Biomes O Plenty vs. ? (for 1.6x+)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OMGFAVBIOMES?

• Total voters

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Fixing the Twilight Forest thing is easy. Biome Ids go to 255, so I set the Twilight Biomes from 200 up in the config file.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a happy medium?

Not really, because of the way BIOMESOP does things. That's sort of the issue. Also, BoP doesn't have an "official" API link; you just decompile and peer. I was looking at how to do it for Tinker's Construct and it's kinda grim.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Not really, because of the way BIOMESOP does things. That's sort of the issue. Also, BoP doesn't have an "official" API link; you just decompile and peer. I was looking at how to do it for Tinker's Construct and it's kinda grim.
Well hopefully that will change. The mod someone made for compatibility is supposedly being integrated now, maybe they will add better API

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Only trouble you'll have with not changing TF is that you are losing out on some of the biomes from BoP, as TF will be overwriting BoP.

Biome Size 4 seems to be the best. Biomes that are large enough without being too large.

Looks like the next version of BoP will have a lot more mod support, so no need for an addon mod to add that support - great news.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, but it really needs an even simple API so other mods can easily add support for world gen without them having to manually add them in themselves. It would be best to make it like XL, so any mod compatible with it would be compatible with BoP. Also the ID conflicts still in the default config are a bit ridiculous after all this time, but at least they are easy to fix. i thought forge had automatic ways of dealing this this though.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Travelling around BoP in around a dozen different random seeds, the largest ocean I have come across was maybe 800-1000 blocks long before I hit more land. In XL Ive had oceans spanning 5k+. I may have just been unlucky/lucky.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Travelling around BoP in around a dozen different random seeds, the largest ocean I have come across was maybe 800-1000 blocks long before I hit more land. In XL Ive had oceans spanning 5k+. I may have just been unlucky/lucky.

I can confirm that. BoP generally doesn't have epically large oceans. I've only found one that's 1k long. I like that more than ages of featureless water.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Is the Biomes o' Plenty like XLbiomes in that its just tons of really thick forests?
My current world is a vanilla generation I took out XLbiomes because I got really tired of forests being almost every biome. If Biomes o' Plenty is more random then it may be what I'm looking for.

My last world that had XL Biomes had an ocean that was just short of 50k blocks before I hit a real piece of land that wasn't just an island.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like im just hating on XL, when I actually like the mod. If I had to goto default biomes only Id probably lose interest in a lot of MC. It just seems like XL is just coasting for a long time without anything really new and cool. BoP seems like BiomesXL 2.0beta

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather replace the current EBXL with the Highlands mod or the upcoming EBXl 4 which will have TerrainControl as its core world generator. The amount of possible things you can do with that beast is just amazing and now in combination with EBXL that is awesome.

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Highlands looks promising too. The biomes dont really have as much contrast as id like though. More than XL but less than BoP. Although from what Im seeing, the generation is also an improvement over XL as well. I havent seen much bout EBXL4?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Highlands looks promising too. The biomes dont really have as much contrast as id like though. More than XL but less than BoP. Although from what Im seeing, the generation is also an improvement over XL as well. I havent seen much bout EBXL4?

I don't really get the appeal of Highlands. It seems... very vanilla? Underground biomes seems about 10x more exciting as an accompaniment to BoP or ExtraBiomesXL

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I think all these biome mods need to come together and form one super biome mod. Plus where in the expletive are the underwater biomes? I know of a mod that has them (Coral reefs), but none of these really do jack.