Epic Fail stories

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Care to elaborate?
I assume some kind of grief ensued :)
Ok well here goes. He was a subscriber of mine and he wanted to add me on skype. I have talked to a couple of my subscribers and even let some join the Kyzarc server that I sorta co-run. He seemed pretty cool at first, not really the griefer type. This was right around the time the ultimate pack came out so we decided to restart the server as a 5 people LP server and let him join. He was basically an IC2/GT god, he made a nuclear reactor in like 2 days (he pretty much played on the server all day) the only problem we had with him was that he didn't listen to us, like we told him not to build the reactor within 100 blocks of the house and to surround it with warded stone, he built it in our house without warded stone. He also made really huge horrible laggy machines that could be replaced with much smaller server friendly designs. Like a mob farm where the mobs would have to walk to the corners and swim up a mobavator which leads to a huge tunnel system then they would (if they didn't despawn first) land on a platform and a turtle would sometimes kill them. But we also told him not to use mystcraft without asking the server owners, one day he made 16 ages. his nuclear reactor also blew up, not that it mattered because the ages created enough lag to make it impossible to play. So because of the lag and our base being destroyed we reset the world. Instead of an LP world it was more of a mindcrack style thing where everyone builds there own houses and such. For some reason we let him on, and somewhere along the line he was Opped. Things were fine for a while. Except one of his friend EJ somehow got the IP and was threatening to ddos the server, and spamming us on skype. He also brought another friend, Aaron, to the server who threatened to blow up the server, We banned him and then he also threatened to ddos us. Most of Zenyen's other friends were sociopaths, One of his friends while we were in a skype call with him started beating his dog with a keyboard... Eventually he whitelisted the Dog abuser and EJ, and pardoned Aaron, one of them wrath ignited the spawn, and zenyen proceeded to terraform it into a mushroom biome. after we banned Zenyen and his friends we found out he had two quantum generators(in addition to the one he used for the terraformer) and a steves carts creative module that he claims were "for testing", and we found he had created a couple mystcraft ages without asking. This was partly our fault for trusting him so much, but moral of the story, don't whitelist zenyen14

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
There is quite a bit of other funny stuff that happened after we banned him. Like him demanding to be unbanned, denying the wrath igniting even though it was in the server log, and saying he found the quantum generators in dungeon chests

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I'm usually careful about putting away the mining laser when I'm done with it. Left it in the hotbar one time, on horizontal mode and accidentally fired it while doing some crafting in my workshop. Took out 4+ ic2 machines, all of which had to be rebuilt.

Mining laser, another in my list of items to not leave in the hotbar. I'm not sure if it ranks higher or lower than buckets of lava in that list.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
I remember this one time I dug down to bedrock and then put a 1x1 tower going up as high as I could go and then I fell off, that was such an epic fall.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Just now, I had a good one.

I had been given a chunk loader yesterday, and decided to put it near my early farm and cows.

After returning a couple of hours later, I notice that nothing grew, so we make some tests (with a turtle), and we concluse that my chunk loader has a problem.

A good 20 minutes later, I activate my hobbyist steam engine right beside it, and notice that the block changes its animation.

Yeah, redstone signal disables chunk loaders. And I am dumb enough to not even have thought about it, at all.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
Just now, I had a good one.

I had been given a chunk loader yesterday, and decided to put it near my early farm and cows.

After returning a couple of hours later, I notice that nothing grew, so we make some tests (with a turtle), and we concluse that my chunk loader has a problem.

A good 20 minutes later, I activate my hobbyist steam engine right beside it, and notice that the block changes its animation.

Yeah, redstone signal disables chunk loaders. And I am dumb enough to not even have thought about it, at all.
lol i think we have all done sometime or another and once we figure it out we give ourselves ye olde facepalm

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
That feeling when the buildcraft pipes leading out of your 64x64 BC quarry cross outside of your chunkloaded area.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
The TLDR version: My combustion engine blew up. It was next to 3 other engines... and a lot of other stuff.

I'm still fairly new at all this, so a lot of stuff from various mods is a first-time experience for me. In this case, I had my first ever SC2 tree farm -> fermenter -> still -> combustion engine setup. Everything worked well enough, and I ended up going from 1 Combustion engine to 4.
My base isn't all that big, and I ended up having everything in a pretty small area. The CE's were lined up next to each other, and I had two Aqueous Accumulators underneath them (below ground level) feeding all four through waterproof pipes. This mostly worked, except for some bizarre reason which I still haven't figured out, CE number 3 in the row would repeatedly run out of water, while the other three were fine. Usually I'd notice the glowing orange colour while puttering about in my base, and rush over and turn it off. Then I'd ponder it for a while, and since it was idle it would fill back up with water.
I guess the 2 AA's just weren't feeding enough (maybe cos I used cobblestone waterproof pipe?) for 4 CE's.

Anyway I foolishly got used to this behaviour as a "normal" routine... I'm sure you can guess what happened next. One time I turned on engine number 3, forgot to watch over it and went for a deep dive in the quarry nearby. When I came back up to my base... well... boom! But that's not the worst part...

While working on my storage/sorting setup, I had accumulated *lots* of unused logs from the tree farm. I was working slowly, getting distracted often, etc... so I had ended up with a small TOWER OF BARRELS, 4 high, which were completely full of logs. Well... this tower was in range of the explosion. So was a chest that held the output from the quarries...

So after the explosion, I'm looking at the floor of my base, or rather the crater, and *thousands* of logs floating about, mixed with a few stacks of ores and whatnot. So I'm like... paralysed by shock for a minute. Then I dove in and started scooping everything up as fast as I could, trying to stuff things into places before it all despawned.

I wasn't fast enough... that was a *lot* of wood...

Reactions: AlanEsh

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Working with CC a bit lately I have got into the habit of typing "clear" to clear the screen of messages etc. Went to sleep the night away, and saw a bunch of messages in my "/" key log typed clear to get rid of it and bang it wiped my players inventory. :oops: Didnt know it did that.
Needless to say I immediatly replaced my player.dat file with a backup.

CreeperLover101

Jul 29, 2019
I have a good cave finding trick with the portable hole. Portable hole the ground, shows a cave sometimes. Lets just say you should get fall damage nullified before trying this.

Reactions: electroscape

Penguirrel

Jul 29, 2019
I defeated the end dragon then jumped up to get the egg down and brought it back to overworld. Got my mining laser to go back to get the end bee hives. I got all 6 on the island then fell off with laser, bees, and fully upgraded and nice enchanted quantum armor.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Setting up a few combustion engines to run a Quarry. The engines were within the loaded chunks... the water pump (before TE here) was not.The quarry was within the blast radius.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
It's not an epic fail YET, but considering how many posts like "Had Combustion Engines, that went BOOM" is here, my fail is that I run them in my base without a chunkloader. Aqueous accumulator is right below them, but I'm not sure if all 5 engines are in the same chunk...

Epic fail, that was before I played FTB:
1) Make a turtle program to dig a tunnel with an error that cause it to go down
2) STOP! Where do you go?!
3) AAARGH!!! Pshhh.
4) *making a new nano suit, lappack ad diamond drill*

Reactions: ApSciLiara

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I once regretted introducing my brother (this was back in 1.2.5... maybe even earlier) to some of the more advanced concepts in IC2.

The conversation went something like this:

Bro: Whoa, man. That UU stuff is totally awesome.
Me: Yea, it can be pretty nice. But the MassFab can be a real energy hog. How much energy you cranking out to it?
Bro: Oh hell, that's nothing. I got four MFSU's feeding into it independently.
Me: Impressive. How are you keeping them filled?
Bro: Oh, well you know that IC2 forum you linked me? I found an awesome design that cranks out over 2k EU/t
Me: Windmill tower? Solar flower?
Bro: Nah, CASUC Reactor
Me: Did you ever figure out how to accommodate for server tic lag?
Bro: Wait, what?
<LAGSPIKE O' DOOM>
Me: *sigh* I guess not...