ELORAAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Wait a minute, did you say practically nobody ever uses ProjectRed? It's the eighth most seen mod on OpenEye's list of most-seen mods right now. Heck, it's even ahead of Thermal Expansion.
Cross reference the number of mod packs using Project Red with those who have OpenEye and you might realize how this statistic might possibly be skewed. In other words, the only mod packs using OpenEye are also ones using ProjectRed, so of course it pings high. OpenEye is also a mod which is very rarely used, largely due to complaints from mod authors themselves.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Cross reference the number of mod packs using Project Red with those who have OpenEye and you might realize how this statistic might possibly be skewed. In other words, the only mod packs using OpenEye are also ones using ProjectRed, so of course it pings high. OpenEye is also a mod which is very rarely used, largely due to complaints from mod authors themselves.
Citation please, most mod authors I follow (and big ones at that) actually encourage use of openeye to help with crash errors, heck even azanor has mentioned he appreciates the info he gets from it.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
OpenEye is also a mod which is very rarely used, largely due to complaints from mod authors themselves.
oYs28YC.gif

Being a mod author who's also in touch with multiple other mod authors, I'm calling shenanigans on this.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'd give Elo a few dollars a month, if I had any of my own to spare. Good, big mods take a lot of time and for people with jobs, time is money. The reverse is also true. The more money Elo has, the more time she can divert to RedPower. Crowdsourcing is a good thing.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I'm calling shenanigans on this.

I'm in contact with many other mod authors and the only ones with serious complaints are the TConstruct devs, who believe OpenEye might be misused to block certain mods later on (while the feature is only intended for malicious JARs, I personally agree with the remark).

Reactions: 1SDAN

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Flashing redstone torch on the timer comes immediately to mind, and that did cause lighting updates to surrounding blocks

Maybe it used to in some earlier version, but not in 1.4.7 it didn't. None of the redstone logic components ever changed lighting (they emit constant light like a redstone torch, but at level 8 instead of 6, and never change lighting levels).

Here's my take on what Eloraam has said. I interpret it as, "Project: Red is an exact duplicate of much of RedPower. Exact duplicates of other people's mods are not a great idea, and I don't know of any other mods that have been so conclusively cloned before without permission*. I'm not too pissed about it, someone stepped up and fulfilled a demand while I was gone, but RedPower is coming back, so if you want RedPower functionality, use RedPower when it's done. In conclusion, when I release RedPower 3, I expect Project: Red to be mothballed as of the next version of MineCraft when people can switch over to using the real thing." Note that there's a lot of my own interpolation in there, I'm very much putting words into her mouth so please understand that that is just my reading between the lines which may be somewhat wide of the mark.

* Was there something like that with BTW maybe? Please let me know if there are examples where this did happen, with or without major shitstorms ensuing).

Last edited:

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't switch to RP3 over ProjectRed, even if it caught up and got ahead feature-wise. Eloraam has been less than reliable with regards to bug fixes and updates (see the lack of RP for 1.5 and 1.6, and the bugs never officially fixed in pr6), and without the source code you're more or less stuck with those bugs, no matter how serious.

Yes, a BTW clone happened; see here. Unfortunately it never got released.

Reactions: masterzh

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
* Was there something like that with BTW maybe? Please let me know if there are examples where this did happen, with or without major shitstorms ensuing).

The closest examples that come to mind are:
  • IC2 Classic is a port of IC2 from 1.4.7 days to 1.6.4/1.7.10. It is done using a few license clauses added back in Minecraft 1.1 days when they meant different things (there were no coremods, so modifying JARs was the only way to tweak IC2 itself), so some people consider the port a bit questionable.
  • There is at least one working rewrite of Equivalent Exchange 2, which IS a complete literal clone, much more so than Project: Red ever was. It does not use code or assets from EE2 itself, though (though they plan to ask the graphics author's permission directly for the assets), so it is legally okay and Pahimar does not complain either.
  • About BTW, yes. http://minecraftuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Better_With_Forge - it was never released, though.
  • There was at least one attempt I am aware of to rewrite a mod which got officially abandoned by the author in 1.5.2, but it never took off. (I don't remember the name, it MIGHT have been Legend Gear)
  • What few people know is that AUTOMATIC_MAIDEN's Statues is a complete clone of http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...3442-1-4-2-rewritten-statues-more-v4pre-alpha - sadly, I do not know whether it was done with permission or not.
I cannot remember any more examples right now.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
wait wait wait wait. It's their analytical data meaning they have to have the mod installed for them to collect data.
*Circular Logic causes MALFUNTION in the bot called strikingwolf*
Yeah, I thought that logic was a tad odd. I mean, if a piece of software is collecting data about what pieces of software are being used, it would stand to reason that the software doing the collecting is going to be the one that it reports as most used.

Reactions: 1SDAN and RedBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.