Efficient and Safe Nuclear Reactor Setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to make nuclear reactor in my new world when 1.5 come out so I can get those shiny quartz block :D. I'm planning to use direwolf20 nuclear reactor setup but i was wondering if there a more efficient one.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to make nuclear reactor in my new world when 1.5 come out so I can get those shiny quartz block :D. I'm planning to use direwolf20 nuclear reactor setup but i was wondering if there a more efficient one.
I think this is the DW20 design used in his videos:
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...huzcn6pw5iwcv9l17gdfus1kstulqxgigg1zl73grp1q8

Good reactor, but not really the best in resources used, efficiency, or output.

Plenty of min/maxed designs in this thread:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/i...66&s=f7872063e6543fa66965bdce98aea0d3fe345880

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know why but talon firemage force me to download java when i already have Java, and it enable in google chrome. Everytime i click a link it force me to download java not allowing for the option" Allow to run this time"

FIXED;Turn out i have to use 32 bit java just for chrome

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda off topic here but when i'm using ultimate pack, the advance solar panel recipe changed to "Irradiant Reinforced Plate", when i was using the Mindcrack version, it was just a advance machine block. Do u guys have no idea how to change the config so it allow me to use advance machine block instead? I try changing the advance solar panel config hardmode=false and it really doesn't change it. I just want it to be back to the advanced machine block, and I of course put gregtech usefulrecipes solar panel hard recipe to true.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That is because the Ultimate pack uses a newer version of AdvancedSolars. The recipe changed, and a lot of people are really unhappy about it. You might be able to copy over the version from Mindcrack (be sure to copy the config file as well) since Minecraft itself didn't update, but that will only be a short-term solution until 1.5 hits.

If you're looking for efficient reactors, look here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/more-efficient-completely-safe-nuclear-reactor-setups.3699/

GregTech allows for some quite efficient designs using thorium and/or iridium neutron reflectors. This is the one I will be using myself - five chambers, efficiency 7, can handle all fuel cell types except quad plutonium and isn't too expensive. It "only" does 140 EU/t at most, but well, this design is optimized for efficiency and not output. Also a significant part of the cost is is copper, so better start mining above y=40 :p And the INRs are quite expensive by themselves, requiring 28 UU-matter (with GregTech enabled, remember) and 32 berylium cells, which can only be gotten from centrifuging large (and I mean large) amounts of enderpearls or emeralds.

But yeah, it's a goal to work towards.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow, ignore everything I said above. I just learned of the awesome thing that's called a Hybrid Reactor. Apparently there's an interesting interplay between neighbouring thorium and plutonium cells that I was unaware of (it might have been added recently?).

Take a gander at this. 420 EU/t, efficiency 16.8, at a fraction of the price of my previously favored design. Mind = blown.

(I know the reactor planner shows efficiency 4.38, but that is a display error. If you look at the total EU output and reference it against the number of fuel cells used and what you usually get from them in classic setups, you get that astonishing number.)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Mind = blown
That is a GREAT design!
I thought I had a good design (that WAS easy to remember, but not so much anymore :eek:)

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
the wonderful part in this setup is, that those quad-thorium cells are way better than the iridium neutron reflectors, and much cheaper. thorium is virtually abundand. coal-ore and monazit ore give plenty of thorium, and the breeding process delivers a lot of thorium too (centrifuge the reenriched isotope cells, get 1 plutonium, 4 thorium and 3 near depleted cells.

and greg recently changed the recipe for quad thorium cells, now they need copper ingots instead of dense copper plates. in other words, the cells are extremly cheap. (EDIT: ultimate already has this recipe, mindcrack is still waiting for it)

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
How can i get the Re-enriched uranium cell? By breeding? I certainly don't want to centrifuge uranium dust or use industrial grinder to get tiny piles

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I went on the IC2 forums to ask. Apparently you're expected to run a breeder along with a hybrid reactor. Thankfully GregTech actually allows you to automate those things better nowadays - the advanced translocator and advanced buffer can take items from or place items into specific inventory slots, which makes unattended operation a whole lot easier. It'll still require a fair bit of manual effort though, unless you set up the entire loop of breeding -> centrifuging -> autocrafting -> hybrid reactor -> replenishment from storage -> autocrafting -> breeding to be fully automated. And then you need a breeder design that has roughly the same throughput as your hybrid reactor.

You also need to worry whether your reactor is thorium positive, neutral or negative - meaning whether it runs on the exact 10:1 ratio on thorium to plutonium that you need to consume both centrifuge products at the same rate, or whether you need additional thorium input or have some leftover. The design I linked is thorium negative; it requires 4 extra thorium cells per cycle in addition to those a centrifuge would give you. You could, for example, get them from pulverizing coal ore or similar sources.

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
It seem like when when you put uranium cell surrounded by depleted isotype cell it instantly produce a re-enriched uranium cell which is use for centrifuge to get plutonium cell. I turn it on really quick just turn it back off, and it produce the re-enriched uranium cell. Is this a bug ?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
It seem like when when you put uranium cell surrounded by depleted isotype cell it instantly produce a re-enriched uranium cell which is use for centrifuge to get plutonium cell. I turn it on really quick just turn it back off, and it produce the re-enriched uranium cell. Is this a bug ?
Creative/NEI spawned isotopes come with a damage value one tick away from being re-enriched.

Make the isotopes in a crafting grid and you will get isotopes that need their full 10k tick charge.

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
Creative/NEI spawned isotopes come with a damage value one tick away from being re-enriched.

Make the isotopes in a crafting grid and you will get isotopes that need their full 10k tick charge.
Thanks, can you guys give me a good breeder design that is not too expensive but still decently fast?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, there's this one from the thread on the IC2 forums: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...zhnfig1xqswt3rl8r9skkwbcz05k3bqtixoggmvcyhjts
Optimized for minimum cost. Only a quarter as fast as the maximum possible speed, but (according to the author) still fast enough to keep three thorium-neutral hybrid reactors supplied indefinitely.

If you want to spend the extra copper, you can replace the reactor platings with heat platings and up the number of heating cells to 21. That'll net you about a third more speed.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Can I ask... how exactly do you get thorium from coal ore? Nothing about it in NEI.

Also: thank GOD for the recipe nerf to duo + quad thorium cells! Now I just need to wait for my old mate Greg to do the same for uranium & plutonium...

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Coal dust with near-depleted uranium cell if i'm right
Coal dust with near-depleted cells gives a depleted isotope cell, not a thorium cell. However, I just noticed that you can centrifuge 2 near-depleted cells for a thorium cell. So thats 4 thorium per uranium ore, which is pretty damn good.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Coal dust with near-depleted cells gives a depleted isotope cell, not a thorium cell. However, I just noticed that you can centrifuge 2 near-depleted cells for a thorium cell. So thats 4 thorium per uranium ore, which is pretty damn good.

Silktouch coal ore and throw 4 of them in the industrial grinder to get 4 tiny piles of thorium dusts.