Early Ways to Power Matter Fabricator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ronar1

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm stuck in terms of energy.

I have 3 Advanced Solars and a bunch of regular ones powering a matter fabricator.

However, with the new changes in recipie, I can't supply enough power to my Matt Fab.

Am I gonna be stuck here waiting days to get UU matter to make better solar panels?

I've tried using a gas turbine which now ups my EU/t into the MF to about 50 EU/t.

Perhaps I can hook up a geothermal generator to it too, but I need more ideas now...

I don't think a few 50 EU/t will be enough to prevent me from having to wait some days before i get enough UU matter to do anything else.

Ronar1

Jul 29, 2019
How many geothermals for a reasonable pace? (Like 1 scrap every hour)

I have a feeling the answer won't be pretty...

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean UU matter, the answer to that is no. Yeah, I know you didn't ask a yes or no question, but people who put up 100s of geo gens (or gens, or...anything) don't really help themselves in the long run. It's not worth it, as it's extremely laggy, instead of a 1-6 block structure like a nuclear reactor. With Compact Solars, making 100s of solar panels will make sense. But Nuclear Reactors are still awesome and I highly recommend it.
Use nuclear reactors! They're great!

Ronar1

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, is there a place that tells you how to get one up and running or a reactor design that maximizes speed?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
You should check out the IC2 forums, there's a wiki, get your copper up :p
There are a few threads here, but I'd recommend to have the wiki and the simulator up, and just play around. Test it in a test world first though. It feels good when you've worked on something with your brain to get yourself a good amount of energy, and the amount depends on how brain-filled (or luck-filled) you are! :D

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
How many geothermals for a reasonable pace? (Like 1 scrap every hour)

I have a feeling the answer won't be pretty...

Each Geothermal Generator output 20eu/t, so just do the math to figure out how many you'd need to reach full saturation, versus scrap production.

Also, if you've got GregTech (which you don't, so, instead, pretend that I'm talking to bizarro FTB world), get Thermal Generators as they produce 30,000eu from each bucket at 24eu/t.

Ronar1

Jul 29, 2019
On second thought you only need 10 Thermal generators to get 1 UU per hour. Thats not bad.

I actually really like nuclear reactors, its a shame that they require so much maintenance/setup to generate only the same amount of power as a few strong solar panels. (Last time i checked a good reactor design could output like 2000 EU/t)

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
On second thought you only need 10 Thermal generators to get 1 UU per hour. Thats not bad.

I actually really like nuclear reactors, its a shame that they require so much maintenance/setup to generate only the same amount of power as a few strong solar panels. (Last time i checked a good reactor design could output like 2000 EU/t)
I think your numbers are off. I read they capped it at 400 EU/t
I could be wrong though...

Ronar1

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe they changed it? I remember the 2000 EU required a bit of maintenance every so often. That or I'm going crazy, but anyways, I have my answer so thanks all.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I think your numbers are off. I read they capped it at 400 EU/t
I could be wrong though...

I've never heard that number referenced anywhere. Any idea where "they" got that number, because it doesn't make sense why they'd have an artificial cap on nuclear reactors.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I've never heard that number referenced anywhere. Any idea where "they" got that number, because it doesn't make sense why they'd have an artificial cap on nuclear reactors.
Probably looking only at the type 1 vent cooled reactors. There is no cap, but the limit you can air cool and remain reasonably efficient is in the 400-500 EU/t range.

Since this is gregtech though there are some good reactor setups through refining uranium into thorium + plutonium. GT 1 uranium ingot stretches out to at least 90m EU vs like 30m in IC2.

Supposedly a GT rework of his reactor components coming soon as well. Hopefully its a buff /simplification of where things are at now as the plutonium + thorium reactors are quite nice and were only made efficient with his change to thorium quad cells only requiring ingots.

Reactor thread:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8966&pageNo=1

Reactors to make:
Beginner Reactor 3: 100 EU/t Type 1
Any breeder

If you like what those reactors look into the GT reactors... to run in fuel balance make two 420s one 484.
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=101707#post101707

If you hate the first two then reactors are probably not for you :p

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
That said, plan for patience:
I seem to recall doing the math before, and I think I found that getting enough iridium ore for a plate costs 500 MILLION EU.
Really, I'm under the impression that you're really not meant to use the fab until you either 1) get some iridium from the end for lightning rods, or 2) cook up some reactors. This goes double since Advanced Solars changed their recipes. So get a laser, a jetpack and a pumpkin and go mess up the enderdragon, I guess...?

That said, I really am curious about this: if you're being a Mindcrack purist and not using Mystcraft, then you can't use Eternal Weather to cheese your way to more lightning. I know that anything that causes lightning bolts won't work - the lightning rod essentially generates its own lightning based on the weather. So would using a Forestry Rainmaker help or not?

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
That said, plan for patience:
I seem to recall doing the math before, and I think I found that getting enough iridium ore for a plate costs 500 MILLION EU.
Really, I'm under the impression that you're really not meant to use the fab until you either 1) get some iridium from the end for lightning rods, or 2) cook up some reactors. This goes double since Advanced Solars changed their recipes. So get a laser, a jetpack and a pumpkin and go mess up the enderdragon, I guess...?

That said, I really am curious about this: if you're being a Mindcrack purist and not using Mystcraft, then you can't use Eternal Weather to cheese your way to more lightning. I know that anything that causes lightning bolts won't work - the lightning rod essentially generates its own lightning based on the weather. So would using a Forestry Rainmaker help or not?
Yes:

Harish

Jul 29, 2019
One good way to power it is to limit the input. It might slow down the production but in the end you are still producing uu-matter. Hook up a MFE to the fabricator so it will only take in 128eu/t.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech