Early game defenses

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't remember the exact name :p
I don't know if you get item drops, I've never played around with it, I just know what it does

Zombies drop flesh, etc. It's certainly not a drowning trap! Very cool.

It doesn't help with explosions though. I also noticed that even in single player it was kind of laggy, the damage wasn't applied consistently.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Zombies drop flesh, etc. It's certainly not a drowning trap! Very cool.

It doesn't help with explosions though. I also noticed that even in single player it was kind of laggy, the damage wasn't applied consistently.
Laggy as in unreliable, or laggy as in it incurred a performance hit to the system?

What's causing explosions? Do the undead mobs catch fire and piss off the creepers?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Laggy as in unreliable, or laggy as in it incurred a performance hit to the system?

What's causing explosions? Do the undead mobs catch fire and piss off the creepers?

Actually, it appears that undead only take damage when they move across CS blocks. If they stand still they don't take further damage.

As to explosions, skeletons tend to fire regardless of whether they can hit you. This hits adjacent mobs and starts fights, and creepers explode.[DOUBLEPOST=1408044937][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a neat tip.

I had previously used fences as early windows, unfortunately arrows would sometimes hit you through them. Stairs turned sideways work better. They still provide a view outside, but skeletons have a really hard time making the skill shot to get you through that tiny hole.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Why not make vanilla self-rebuilding walls with pistons and lava/water cobblegens? Sure it may not be TPS friendly, but make 1-3 rings of pistons underground, make lava/water cobblegens above, and a timer circuit under the piston rings. if the wall gets damaged it just rebuilds itself.
If you have MFR, grinders/slaughterhouses will work through walls, too. Combine the above with grinders at intervals and that should clear out invader buildup, just watch the corners.

Reactions: the_j485

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The soil lights them on fire.

If they don't grief blocks, fences work. A dirt wall works just as well. Play BnB and you'll understand how to survive.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
@Demosthenex prolly doesn't care, but I for one want to capture all teh mad lootz, and I am given to understand that cacti splut mad lootz.
1-block deep water channels to hoppers would collect a decent amount of the loot, loss to the cactus itself isn't so bad usually. Can also use fans to push the loot away from the cactus as soon as it drops, will also delay the monsters' approach.

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
I also play on the server, and I'm the guy that is at fault regarding all the drowning moats, so there's that.

The reasoning behind those traps is that we needed something simple that can be built fairly easily using readily availiable materials, since we're playing with Iguana Tweaks for Tinkers Construct which puts iron squarely out of range till you upgrade that copper pickaxe. I do like the idea of consecrated soil though.
Multiple blocks deep walls could also work, but they're maintenance intensive.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I also play on the server, and I'm the guy that is at fault regarding all the drowning moats, so there's that.

The reasoning behind those traps is that we needed something simple that can be built fairly easily using readily availiable materials, since we're playing with Iguana Tweaks for Tinkers Construct which puts iron squarely out of range till you upgrade that copper pickaxe. I do like the idea of consecrated soil though.
Multiple blocks deep walls could also work, but they're maintenance intensive.

The drowning moats work great, no complaints here. Especially the way you setup for item collection at the bottom. That was ingenius!

I was just trying to explore other alternatives so there's not just one way to do it.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Glass just sounds so fragile. If you are anywhere nearby, the mobs will cluster trying to get to you. That inevitably leads to explosions.
Unless the behavior was changed by a mod, plants/trees just need light (and space) to grow, not a view to the sky. In other words, torches work fine, no need for a glass roof in your underground lair.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Unless the behavior was changed by a mod, plants/trees just need light (and space) to grow, not a view to the sky. In other words, torches work fine, no need for a glass roof in your underground lair.

Hunger Overhaul mods that behavior. Sky light is required for all food crops. Only RoC canola doesn't need it.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
look up some bnb and crash landing on youtube, you might find idea :)
I love the way @Anesos (if that his him) did his base defence, might want too look it out :D

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
If you're needing food for crops, just use an animal farm.

Also, a simple solutions is to completely cover the outside of your base in running water. This will push everything else away, as well as stopping any kinds of explosions. YOu could even have a bit of it that runs over hoppers, so as to collect dat sik lewt.

Famousscotsman

Jul 29, 2019
What about some sort of rebuilding wall?
If you used gravel or sand at the start then try to make it automatic as you progress?

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Or as was said before, a vanilla auto-repairing wall. That would be completely mob-proof, especially if you had multiple layers.

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
Dispensers with arrows (depends on mob drops)
Walls with lava in between (only one source block needed - vertically)
Pressure plates with pistons to push them over/in something
Spikes (in a pit) (depends on installed mods)
Electric fence (not really early game if I read your iron shortage correctly)

Or put a villager in a 2-deep hole somewhere and surround him with something mobs can see through, but not reach the man. Then watch them burn in the sunlight.