Early game defenses

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Dispensers with arrows (depends on mob drops)
Walls with lava in between (only one source block needed - vertically)
Pressure plates with pistons to push them over/in something
Spikes (in a pit) (depends on installed mods)
Electric fence (not really early game if I read your iron shortage correctly)

Or put a villager in a 2-deep hole somewhere and surround him with something mobs can see through, but not reach the man. Then watch them burn in the sunlight.

Decoys are a good idea. It only takes a light source over a pit.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
yeah that's clever.

I doubt you have the infrastructure for this, but it would be funny to run an uninsulated high voltage electricraft wire around your base...

I considered that on the last server! Maybe I should look into an electric fence again later.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
If you're needing food for crops, just use an animal farm.

Also, a simple solutions is to completely cover the outside of your base in running water. This will push everything else away, as well as stopping any kinds of explosions. YOu could even have a bit of it that runs over hoppers, so as to collect dat sik lewt.

So I made a sample house which used a pyramid on top to spread one water block across the whole structure, and drained into a 3 deep moat on all sides. That worked very well.

I think my point was that I'm trying for water alternatives, but I'm not seeing anything viable because of the explosive damage and this is early game.

I need to get to obsidian![DOUBLEPOST=1408119464][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've never played with Reika's weaponry. Would any of it be suitable at some point?

The force field would be awesome, and I did tinker with some of the weapons on the last server. I'm hoping to get a reactor up so I have power to fuel some, but this was about early game. ;]

Reactions: the_j485 and Pyure

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So what do zombies have in common with vampire legends of old? They can't cross running water.

http://imgur.com/ARkmHmn

Whether they are crappy swimmers or just don't like their feet wet, moving water causes them major obstacles. They can stay afloat, but they can't make any progress upstream against moving water.

In this image the only ones getting close are pushed by those behind.

Drowning moats are time consuming to build and may not be useful to quickly contain a large area, but using moving water for repulsion could be setup in a day with just wooden buckets.

Reactions: Pyure

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Does your modpack have quicksand pockets? I've found that to be a far more effective deterrent than water moats.

Biomes 'O Plenty does indeed have quicksand, which works great for halting mobs in their tracks!

The downside is that the skeletons and creepers still get into fights and blow up the quicksand.

EDIT: I have considered lining the bottom of a drowning moat with quicksand so they can never swim back up again... ;]

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes 'O Plenty does indeed have quicksand, which works great for halting mobs in their tracks!

The downside is that the skeletons and creepers still get into fights and blow up the quicksand.

EDIT: I have considered lining the bottom of a drowning moat with quicksand so they can never swim back up again... ;]
Interesting that they do that. I'd have thought they would be blind and unable to bicker, but I suppose they fight while sinking?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting that they do that. I'd have thought they would be blind and unable to bicker, but I suppose they fight while sinking?

Perhaps the quicksand was too shallow. Maybe two layers deep would work better.

The thing is skeletons fire constantly toward players, and they frequently hit creepers with short tempers.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, certainly. When I make quicksand traps I make the hole two deep and leave the bottom open (so that later I can come along with hoppers or obsidian pipes and the like and pick up stuff).

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Demos? What mods are you using that adds all this? With the "updater" of the Solar Apocalypse Pack essentially going "Oh yeah, the sun doesn't burn you and it doesn't change the world, it reverts changes on right click. I don't care how many people complain. Just stop bitching and wait.", I have looked desperately for an apocalypse-style series of mods. Weather mod is good, but it doesn't have the option to constantly bombard players with tornadoes, nor does meteorcraft have a meteor storm event. However, this sounds FUN for a true survival experience, especially on Hardcore.

TL;DR: Can I please have the list of mods you use to make your world an apocalypse like that?

EDIT: I see you like this Demo. But I wanna know your moooods. :<

Last edited:
Reactions: Demosthenex

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to try this, I dont think any mobs I saw was pathfinding on a crafting bench with a chess on top of it. For extra safety, you can add an item duct on top of the chest.

You can easily climb it just by jumping, but I doubt mobs will see it as passable.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to try this, I dont think any mobs I saw was pathfinding on a crafting bench with a chess on top of it. For extra safety, you can add an item duct on top of the chest.

You can easily climb it just by jumping, but I doubt mobs will see it as passable.

In his very first post he mentions about cheesing mobs with ladders being "ugly and completely unrealistic". I doubt he would want to cheese the system like that if he had an option like that about ladders.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Demos? What mods are you using that adds all this? With the "updater" of the Solar Apocalypse Pack essentially going "Oh yeah, the sun doesn't burn you and it doesn't change the world, it reverts changes on right click. I don't care how many people complain. Just stop bitching and wait.", I have looked desperately for an apocalypse-style series of mods. Weather mod is good, but it doesn't have the option to constantly bombard players with tornadoes, nor does meteorcraft have a meteor storm event. However, this sounds FUN for a true survival experience, especially on Hardcore.

TL;DR: Can I please have the list of mods you use to make your world an apocalypse like that?

Frankly I would refer you to AS/BnB/MF2/CL. Those mod creators put significant time into creating difficult mod packs that play well in single player. Our modpack is tied to our server, I can't suggest how it might play independently. For instance the mob spawn rates are completely tied to the server.

I've taken Monster and whittled it down to the only mods our group found needed, useful, and non-duplicating. Then layered on difficulty mods like Zombie Awareness, SpecialMobs, Tinkers Tweaks, Hunger Overhaul, etc. I haven't gone as far as BnB/MF2 in many ways, those packs should be more challenging. Server side I try to overwhelm everyone with monsters with high spawn rates, large number of mob slots, frequent clears of mobs so they don't get stuck, etc.

If you are interested in the server pop me a PM. The modpack is public if you want to try it single player, code "DefendersOfPumpkinKeep".

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
What mods have you removed from Monster? What is the difference between DoPK and Monster itself?

I summarized the biggest items in the prior post. Adding difficulty is the largest change.

EDIT: The most noticeable is the removal of Extra Utilities, so no cheap compressed cobble for blast resistance.

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thanks! Was wondeirng if you removed any others besides Extra Utilities, and since you deferred me to your previous post I garner that all of the other mods are still in there. I'll go and install those suggested mods now... this should be fun! Also, you mentioned mobs attacking each other if they swam your wall. What mod adds that?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thanks! Was wondeirng if you removed any others besides Extra Utilities, and since you deferred me to your previous post I garner that all of the other mods are still in there. I'll go and install those suggested mods now... this should be fun! Also, you mentioned mobs attacking each other if they swam your wall. What mod adds that?

All of the new mob behaviors are from Zombie Awareness (scent, light sensitivity, pathfinding & climbing) and Special Mobs (light/farm griefing, new varieties of mobs, mad creepers).