Early game defenses

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. I didn't notice that in the mod description for ZA though. Anyways, looks like I'm going to have some fun in SP tonight!

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
In his very first post he mentions about cheesing mobs with ladders being "ugly and completely unrealistic". I doubt he would want to cheese the system like that if he had an option like that about ladders.
No he said multiple layers of ladders make it unpraticable. I'm talking about 2 blocks : a crafting bench and a chest.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
No he said multiple layers of ladders make it unpraticable. I'm talking about 2 blocks : a crafting bench and a chest.

That wouldn't help. Spitfire skeletons actually fire REAL FIRE so anything wood will burn.

I had a tree fort once...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, you mentioned a pack but I can't find any trace of it from threads you've made. If it's private it'd really help if you posted about it somewhere if it's actually on FTB.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, you mentioned a pack but I can't find any trace of it from threads you've made. If it's private it'd really help if you posted about it somewhere if it's actually on FTB.

Demosthenex's Zombie Apocalypse Pack, code "DefendersOfPumpkinKeep". It's meant for play on our server, but the perms are for a public pack. I can't guarantee maximum pain if you aren't on our server. ;]

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Demosthenex's Zombie Apocalypse Pack, code "DefendersOfPumpkinKeep". It's meant for play on our server, but the perms are for a public pack. I can't guarantee maximum pain if you aren't on our server. ;]
The problem with servers isn't just the mods I wish to use not being present, but usually it's the fact that dealing with hell isn't always my cup of tea.
Sorry, did I say hell? I meant Other People.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Also, just checked your pack list, gonna actually suggest some things, now. Once it's done loading and I quit again. Don't want to force quit it.
Okay, as for base defense, I suggest... RotaryCraft! It's basically the only thing in there I saw with good early game base defenses, and also has fairly cheap ore processing.
Anyway, as for early game base defense, you can't really go wrong with the arrow gun(sic), which is basically a soup'd up dispenser firing only arrows. They go further and do more damage with more power, so keep that in mind. IIRC they also automatically target foes too(no promises). Those are the pros. The cons are mainly needing arrows for every shot, unless enchanted IIRC via a Enchanted Book of Infinity, and that they only fire in one direction. So it can be useful, but a base has four walls and each is important to defend. A choke point works best for this one.
Next up is an odd one. While it may not make perfect sense, there is a Sonic Weapon(sic) which, at higher and higher power levels, has more profound effects on those affected. Top tier is basically disintegration(death comes quickly at some sound frequencies and sound can blast things to bits), but below that one is drowning, and plenty of useful effects will be triggered before that stage, but only those last two will kill your foes.
For a interesting "Less Lethal" weapon, there is of course a Freeze Ray(no, not the sort by 1 Doctor Horrible) that freezes things, including your foes. Be careful with this one though. It'll hold you in place for about 10 minutes last I checked, and no way to dispel it is known to me. At least, in your pack. Which as it turns out, has no magic mods.
Yes, it has Thaumcraft. My statement still holds true.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Also, just checked your pack list, gonna actually suggest some things, now. Once it's done loading and I quit again. Don't want to force quit it.
Okay, as for base defense, I suggest... RotaryCraft! It's basically the only thing in there I saw with good early game base defenses, and also has fairly cheap ore processing.

I'm all over Rotarycraft. I've also posted extensively on my testing with Reactorcraft! I do consider those mid to late game though.

Anyway, as for early game base defense, you can't really go wrong with the arrow gun(sic), which is basically a soup'd up dispenser firing only arrows. They go further and do more damage with more power, so keep that in mind. IIRC they also automatically target foes too(no promises). Those are the pros. The cons are mainly needing arrows for every shot, unless enchanted IIRC via a Enchanted Book of Infinity, and that they only fire in one direction. So it can be useful, but a base has four walls and each is important to defend. A choke point works best for this one.

I agree, it would need a choke point. I think I've found the right balance just using water to push them away and a small wall.

Next up is an odd one. While it may not make perfect sense, there is a Sonic Weapon(sic) which, at higher and higher power levels, has more profound effects on those affected. Top tier is basically disintegration(death comes quickly at some sound frequencies and sound can blast things to bits), but below that one is drowning, and plenty of useful effects will be triggered before that stage, but only those last two will kill your foes.
For a interesting "Less Lethal" weapon, there is of course a Freeze Ray(no, not the sort by 1 Doctor Horrible) that freezes things, including your foes. Be careful with this one though. It'll hold you in place for about 10 minutes last I checked, and no way to dispel it is known to me. At least, in your pack. Which as it turns out, has no magic mods.
Yes, it has Thaumcraft. My statement still holds true.

Sonic weapons are great, and cause no terrain damage! That may come later.

I can't wait until I have the redstone to spare and pumpkins to make the Utility Mob turrents. They have infinite arrows and I think spamming them around the water line would work.

As far as dealing with other people, it's a small whitelisted server of very positive people. Public servers are.... closer to hell.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
My tip to you, don't build around or on a mountain. We just rebuilt the house my friend burnt down and this happens XD

Attachments

• 2014-08-15_23.42.23.png
    2014-08-15_23.42.23.png
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Demosthenex

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My tip to you, don't build around or on a mountain. We just rebuilt the house my friend burnt down and this happens XD
wat.
Meteorite from what mod? And I assume the little bugger spawned up there after it broke a light or something, eh?
I'm all over Rotarycraft. I've also posted extensively on my testing with Reactorcraft! I do consider those mid to late game though.

I agree, it would need a choke point. I think I've found the right balance just using water to push them away and a small wall.

Sonic weapons are great, and cause no terrain damage! That may come later.

I can't wait until I have the redstone to spare and pumpkins to make the Utility Mob turrents. They have infinite arrows and I think spamming them around the water line would work.

As far as dealing with other people, it's a small whitelisted server of very positive people. Public servers are.... closer to hell.
Nice to hear. I admit, this does sound fairly fun despite two of my mainstay magic mods(and yes, I say they are magic mods and not tech mods pretending to be magic mods like Thaumcraft, which isn't exactly bad or anything), but one of them has world gen(and even though most mods have Retrogen now, not all retrogen is safe or easy to use/control). The other does as well but it's easily ignored.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

The poor creeper looks scared! I hope you help him down.

The fence though... and a wooden house. This wouldn't last the first wave on ours. ;][DOUBLEPOST=1408162403][/DOUBLEPOST]
wat.
Meteorite from what mod? And I assume the little bugger spawned up there after it broke a light or something, eh?

Nice to hear. I admit, this does sound fairly fun despite two of my mainstay magic mods(and yes, I say they are magic mods and not tech mods pretending to be magic mods like Thaumcraft, which isn't exactly bad or anything), but one of them has world gen(and even though most mods have Retrogen now, not all retrogen is safe or easy to use/control). The other does as well but it's easily ignored.

I'm looking forward to using Thaum's golem as guards, to augment the Utility Mobs.