Early Botania Mana Garden

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yea, when the 'thirsty hydrodrangeas' update happened, the garden designed in the OP no longer provides enough water. I'm working on another design that does not involve floating flowers. This is supposed to be something you can set up with minimal resources, no nether access, so floating flowers would rather defeat the purpose.

You see, this is why I don't post builds very often. Then the devs come in and nerf them, and we can't have Nice Things(tm). :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, when the 'thirsty hydrodrangeas' update happened, the garden designed in the OP no longer provides enough water. I'm working on another design that does not involve floating flowers. This is supposed to be something you can set up with minimal resources, no nether access, so floating flowers would rather defeat the purpose.

You see, this is why I don't post builds very often. Then the devs come in and nerf them, and we can't have Nice Things(tm). :p

glowstone doesn't really need to come from the nether... witches can also drop glowstone, and since they're from vanilla and now frequently spawn at night, it shouldn't be that hard to get glowstone.
it'd be nice though if the hydrodrangeas had a better range vertically, for some better looking setups.

also, a streamer from twitch that I frequently watch, zeekdageek, also had a setup using hydrodrangeas.
in his setup, he placed the hydrodrangeas in the ocean, since his base was above an ocean. he used mana spreaders to transfer the mana from the ocean upto the surface

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Botania actually gave me a reason to use logic gates, something I havent actually needed since 1.4.7 when mods were a bit less easy. I just set up a timer and a pulse inverter so a bunch of open crates drops coal onto some endoflames every so often. So thats cool.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have a good setup for initial mana generation. I'll throw it together when I am home and can get some screen shots.

Basically, it is a 3 high stack of hydroanges (12 total), and a bunch of day blooms and nightshades to match. It all fits with one mana spreader. It uses 3x3 water pools, so it will never run dry.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, here is the way I set up my system early game. I built this above ground for the screen shots, but you can nest this below ground for aesthetics.

Bottom layer: 3x3 infinite water pool with the corners knocked out for hydroanges to be placed later.
2015-01-19_20.22.12.png

Next, we make another pool offset by 1 block from the pool below. Fill it with water, the same as the first.
2015-01-19_20.23.22.png
Next, make one more pool, and offset it again, so it is aligned with the first pool you created.
2015-01-19_20.24.29.png

2015-01-19_20.24.54.png
Next, place dirt in the corner of each pool, so the hydroanges can be planted later. You will need to replace some of the previously placed blocks.
2015-01-19_20.26.44.png

2015-01-19_20.27.59.png
Finally, add a layer of dirt above the top pool so you can plant your dayblooms and nightshades. You can place the mana spreader on either of the yellow clay blocks. These blocks represent the center blocks of each of the pools below.
2015-01-19_20.31.14.png
So you can see even the furthest hydroangea can reach the mana spreader. I'm using a wand of the forest on the bottom left hydroangea, and it is showing it bound to the mana spreader above.
2015-01-19_20.29.53.png
Finally, plant your day blooms and nightshades around in a checkerboard pattern. The flowers will not block the mana burst from the spreader, so don't worry about that. You can actually go much further with the dayblooms and nightshades if you wish as the range of the mana spreader is 6 blocks.
2015-01-19_20.32.23.png

This little setup produced enough mana to get me started in botania. It took no time at all before I had created all the basic manasteel tools and armor. This provided all the mana I needed for my mining runs to keep the tools and armor fully repaired.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, here is the way I set up my system early game. I built this above ground for the screen shots, but you can nest this below ground for aesthetics.

Bottom layer: 3x3 infinite water pool with the corners knocked out for hydroanges to be placed later.

Next, we make another pool offset by 1 block from the pool below. Fill it with water, the same as the first.
Next, make one more pool, and offset it again, so it is aligned with the first pool you created.
Next, place dirt in the corner of each pool, so the hydroanges can be planted later. You will need to replace some of the previously placed blocks.
Finally, add a layer of dirt above the top pool so you can plant your dayblooms and nightshades. You can place the mana spreader on either of the yellow clay blocks. These blocks represent the center blocks of each of the pools below.
So you can see even the furthest hydroangea can reach the mana spreader. I'm using a wand of the forest on the bottom left hydroangea, and it is showing it bound to the mana spreader above.
Finally, plant your day blooms and nightshades around in a checkerboard pattern. The flowers will not block the mana burst from the spreader, so don't worry about that. You can actually go much further with the dayblooms and nightshades if you wish as the range of the mana spreader is 6 blocks.

This little setup produced enough mana to get me started in botania. It took no time at all before I had created all the basic manasteel tools and armor. This provided all the mana I needed for my mining runs to keep the tools and armor fully repaired.
It still baffles me that people use nightshades at all. It only takes one more layer to add dayblooms in the spaces between the checkerboards, and they produce more mana :p (atleast the book says nightshades work half as fast...)

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It still baffles me that people use nightshades at all. It only takes one more layer to add dayblooms in the spaces between the checkerboards, and they produce more mana :p (atleast the book says nightshades work half as fast...)

Yes, but you can't rotate the mana spreader around to power what you need when you nest the dayblooms like you indicate with this setup. There isn't room to move the mana spreader up one more level. The hydroangeas on the bottom are then out of range. If you nest, you would have to leave clear the direction you need to turn the mana spreader. If it was anything like my first playthrough, I barely found the needed gold to get things going. I actually found several diamonds before I found any gold, and that was only a couple ores in a cave wall. This setup maximizes the mana you can create for the gold expenditure. Besides, once you get something like this set up, you normally aren't maxing out the daybloom setup, but are instead moving on to better mana producers. This is just an initial setup needed to fund the rest of your research and builds.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
are the flowers still able to send mana through blocks? I know the spreaders can't send mana through blocks unless you use mana lenses.
and don't the flowers block the spreader from sending mana?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
are the flowers still able to send mana through blocks? I know the spreaders can't send mana through blocks unless you use mana lenses.
and don't the flowers block the spreader from sending mana?

Blocks do not prevent the flowers from sending their mana to the spreader. The flowers do not block mana bursts from the spreader either.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I came up with a design that works pretty well. Ive got Magical Crops installed so I am using golems and lamps of growth on a little coal farm. I get nature and coal essence from the farm and those are autocrafted on the spot into coal and vines. The vines are cooked into Herba essentia for the lamps of growth and the coal goes into an enderchest and is then dropped one by one through an open crate into the middle of a field of endoflames. Theres no need for a timer or anything because its timed to how fast the farm is producing coal. And its fully self sustaining.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Open crates stop dropping items with a redstone signal. So all you need do is drop fuel on a pressure plate in the center of a patch of endoflames. No need for timers or anything from other mods.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Open crates stop dropping items with a redstone signal. So all you need do is drop fuel on a pressure plate in the center of a patch of endoflames. No need for timers or anything from other mods.

don't open crates do something else when given a redstone signal?
don't they prevent an item from despawning or prevent it from getting picked up when given a redstone signal to the open crate?

Reactions: PierceSG

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
don't open crates do something else when given a redstone signal?
don't they prevent an item from despawning or prevent it from getting picked up when given a redstone signal to the open crate?
Not sure about the despawning...I did worry about losing coal but the endoflames eat it long before that happens.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
If given a redstone signal, open crates prevent items dropped from being picked up by flowers (such as the Hopperhock or Endoflames) for a little bit longer than usual.

Reactions: PierceSG

superm0m

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone tell me how to get a hopperhock to store mana to increase it's range? I've tried several things without success.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Just have the mana pool near the hopperhock, it'll pull mana from the pool to increase it's range.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
epidermia could we see your setup for it,

Sure. Underneath the endoflame layer is a thermalilly setup with a BC floodgate btw. Redstone wire is on the other side of the l-shaped bit in the center but im am sure redstone dust can be used too. Coal stored in the enderchest goes to the open crate, coal falls on pressureplate, crate gets signal and coal stops dropping. endoflames consume coal, process repeats.

ac2kEUD.png

Last edited: