Early Botania Mana Garden

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
:eek: douplepost!, but I found something useful ;)

Exploiting strange water mechanics I managed to get 14 hydros in a 9x9 area. Each flower has 3 unique source blocks to pull from, and it won't ever run dry, unless some sneaky flower pulls two sources at once.

I don't think it's easily tile-able though.

zPQPTt8.png

should I keep putting images in spoilers all the time? it seems the nice thing to do, but I don't know if it's annoying anyone

now, can anyone take what I did, and make it better? I probably haven't tried all patterns utilising this water mechanic..

edit: facepalm... there's enough space to do the 3-wide dirt thing on both sides...
So there should be room for 16 flowers, each with 3 source blocks
h0NaD54.png

edit2: A simpler solution, if you want 16 flowers - just have two layers. although there's only 1 source per flower
zJit9ue.png

1 source block per flower with a few more water pools, and it'll never run dry.
playing with hydroangeas is interesting..

Last edited:
Reactions: Chefbarbie74

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
:eek: douplepost!, but I found something useful ;)

edit2: A simpler solution, if you want 16 flowers - just have two layers. although there's only 1 source per flower
zJit9ue.png

playing with hydroangeas is interesting..

This is my 8 x 8 setup I am using, although instead of cobble, I use dirt, then plant alternating dayblooms and nightshades. Also dirt on top of the water sources and plant more dayblooms and nightshades there as well.

Biblioteca13

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I tried out the setup and seems the water pools run out of water.
I don't want to make them 3x3
Any solutions?
I'm in early-game/mid-game-ish, using dw20's pack so I have a bunch of other mods.
Maybe something to refill the water? Nothing too expensive if possible

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Why not use floating flowers?
I didn't even know how to make them for the longest time. I thought they were craftable. Just couldn't find the recipe. Just combine a floating flower with the flower you want it to become. In the crafting grid. I think.

For lava I use a build craft flood gate that someone recommended. I imagine it would work really well for water too.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
What does that change?
The problem isn't them getting knocked over by water, is that they will eat all the water in the 2x2 square
floating flowers means you can fill the spaces between the flowers with water, then theres less of a chance for them to suck up a water combination that won't refill itself, although it's still possible in the 8x8 setup. The floating flowers also opens up a myriad of other setup options that won't deplete.
Keep in mind that floating flowers were only added to the dw20 pack in 1.0.3, so It'll only work if you're on that version (I'm not sure if it's the recommended yet). for 1.0.2, try this double layer setup that'll never run out, fill the cobble with whatever you want. The ocean underneath is unneccesary :p.

zJit9ue.png

This is my 8 x 8 setup I am using, although instead of cobble, I use dirt, then plant alternating dayblooms and nightshades. Also dirt on top of the water sources and plant more dayblooms and nightshades there as well.
I tend to put my dayblooms up above the pools on a dirt platform, still haven't used nightshades though, I've been turned off them since the I read in the book that they produce mana at half the speed of dayblooms. Since when I'm online I sleep through the night, and when I'm offline its half and half, no matter what a daybloom will still produce more mana over time. If I can put them underground or under a dirt block they might be worth using though.
I'm just wondering right now if the number of source blocks available affects productivity, then it might be worth fiddling with water mechanics more - or using floating flowers since I have them now ;)

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to put my dayblooms up above the pools on a dirt platform, still haven't used nightshades though, I've been turned off them since the I read in the book that they produce mana at half the speed of dayblooms. Since when I'm online I sleep through the night, and when I'm offline its half and half, no matter what a daybloom will still produce more mana over time. If I can put them underground or under a dirt block they might be worth using though
I think they need direct sun. They can also be placed between the dayblooms. Unless something else is filling the empty spaces they leave. They don't need to replace the dayblooms.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I think they need direct sun. They can also be placed between the dayblooms. Unless something else is filling the empty spaces they leave. They don't need to replace the dayblooms.
i fill the holes with more dayblooms, just a level lower ;)

now that I think of it, I'm not entirely sure if that actually works, the book's description of the loss means it should, but I'm going to have to test to be sure.

I've now tested it, and after a few hours with two different setups each featuring 24 flowers, one in the 2-level pattern above, and one in a standard criss-cross 1-level pattern, both mana pools were about a quarter full. so it works :p

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

Biblioteca13

Jul 29, 2019
floating flowers means you can fill the spaces between the flowers with water, then theres less of a chance for them to suck up a water combination that won't refill itself, although it's still possible in the 8x8 setup. The floating flowers also opens up a myriad of other setup options that won't deplete.
Keep in mind that floating flowers were only added to the dw20 pack in 1.0.3, so It'll only work if you're on that version (I'm not sure if it's the recommended yet). for 1.0.2, try this double layer setup that'll never run out, fill the cobble with whatever you want. The ocean underneath is unneccesary :p.

I tend to put my dayblooms up above the pools on a dirt platform, still haven't used nightshades though, I've been turned off them since the I read in the book that they produce mana at half the speed of dayblooms. Since when I'm online I sleep through the night, and when I'm offline its half and half, no matter what a daybloom will still produce more mana over time. If I can put them underground or under a dirt block they might be worth using though.
I'm just wondering right now if the number of source blocks available affects productivity, then it might be worth fiddling with water mechanics more - or using floating flowers since I have them now ;)

Yeah, I'm using 1.0.3
That setup in the pic won't work in theory, basically is the same that the OP demonstrated, with a few more flowers.
If it doesn't work with less, surely it won't work with more x.x
They just eat up all the water too quickly.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm using 1.0.3
That setup in the pic won't work in theory, basically is the same that the OP demonstrated, with a few more flowers.
If it doesn't work with less, surely it won't work with more x.x
They just eat up all the water too quickly.
Actually, that setup is double layered in such a way that there are four 2x2x2 pools, and each 2x2x1 layer only has two flowers pulling from it, one in each corner. Since hydroangeas can only pull water from their 8 adjacent blocks, none of those pools will ever run out.

But since you're on 1.0.3 you should be able to work out a 9x9 setup that uses floating flowers pretty easy. Off the top of my head, three lines of nine, each line having three water blocks inbetween, for 27 flowers should work.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
In recent versions of botania, i've found 2x2 pools can't reliably keep up with 4 hydroangeas anymore. Personally i've expanded these pools to 3x3, and on the dirt around the pools, i have 2 dayblooms and a nightshade in the middle.It's a shame as I really liked the design in the OP. I usually also add an endoflame on the edge for bursts of mana should I need it. This usually sustains me until I can get some more potent generating flora.

AttackOfTheCreepers

Jul 29, 2019
In recent versions of botania, i've found 2x2 pools can't reliably keep up with 4 hydroangeas anymore. Personally i've expanded these pools to 3x3, and on the dirt around the pools, i have 2 dayblooms and a nightshade in the middle.It's a shame as I really liked the design in the OP. I usually also add an endoflame on the edge for bursts of mana should I need it. This usually sustains me until I can get some more potent generating flora.
So you have one hydroangeas in the middle of each 3x3 pool of water?

Like this..(W=water, h=hydro)

whw

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Does the first one posted here not work anymore?
Not really. The problem is that the Hydroangeas consume water too fast and the pools will dry out.
You're gonna have to make sure that every source block that a Hydroangea has access to can always be refilled.

AttackOfTheCreepers

Jul 29, 2019
Not really. The problem is that the Hydroangeas consume water too fast and the pools will dry out.
You're gonna have to make sure that every source block that a Hydroangea has access to can always be refilled.
Ah thank you, I'll have to have a lil play around when I get back on.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
So you have one hydroangeas in the middle of each 3x3 pool of water?

Like this..(W=water, h=hydro)

whw
No, i don't use floating hydroangeas, i have one at the corner of the pools, but as long as there is always a way to refill the water, it works. (your design would work, but would need a floating hydrogea.