Does anyone play vannila after they try modded?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shunraiki

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't really played vanilla after mods xD
Probably because there's not much to do in vanilla o3o
Though i might try to play 1.8 soon because the content on that version is interesting

Reactions: Wagon153

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Never used it... Isn't that the mod that allows you to sort chests? If it is, I made one chest, and never understood the point :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's the mod I thought it was :p
Apart from the block extender, I don't think I would ever use that when I have AE :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Then don't get lost.
This would be almost impossible if Mojang paid attention to what mods are most downloaded/common in mod packs, and thought it may be a good idea to implement them into the game (mini map mods)
Seriously, if I could only have 1 mod and that was it, I would choose JourneyMap/Voxel Map just because they are SO useful.

Mark home, mark spawn (could be useful), mark any spawners you find, mark diamonds you cannot mine yet, mark a forest you want (dark oak wood FTW)...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'd agree if getting lost didn't suck so hard.
Navigation is fun, being horribly lost is the opposite of fun.

Oh c'mon. The first time I played minecraft I remember making like a little dugout in a jungle and then went off looking for somewhere to mine... and mine... and mine. Brought a bed and a good amount of wood. Stayed down there mining and mining. Started a mini base in the mine, made tracks and carts and such. Finally realized the mine wasn't my home. Realized seconds later, I don't have a damn clue how to get out of here. It was fun though I eventually dug upwards enough that I got out. Took me another several in game days to find any semblance of where my dugout was. Then I forgot how to find the mine. It was actually quite an enjoyable experience believe it or not. Overall like 3 in game weeks on one mining trip.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Reminds me of my first few mining trips- when I learned the very real risks of being stuck underground.
I panicked.
I ran out of torches.
My pick broke.
Food low.
Monsters.
Darkness.
The fear.
The thrill.
The chase.
The relief.

Learning.
Developing.
Navigating.
Playing the game.​

@jordsta95
Vanilla already has a mapping system- admittedly it could use a lot more work (being able to mark maps with dyes would be neat)- but its there.
If you'd like physical "waypoints" I can see beacons being pretty cool if players could bind to them, allowing them to always see the beam in the sky. I think stained glass can change the colour too.​
The greatest strength of games like minecraft is being able to control and modify the terrain. You can build landmarks and design your world.
Being able to navigate through in-game mechanics builds player immersion/suspension of disbelief, and encourages learning new skillsets.

What you're asking for is to ignore already existing designs, dispose of learning new skills and rip out an interesting mechanic in favour of a prepackaged solution which breaks immersion and immediately provides all the answers without any input from the player.

Game design is not a democracy.
A good idea is one that gets included because it works with the game's design, not because of how popular it is.​

Last edited:

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
And today's days in abandoned mineshafts.

Those. Evil. Dastardly. Monstrosities.

They are the bane of my existence. I swear every time I explore one it runs into about 12 others. Thanks OCPD for making me feel the need to explore, light, and mine out all of them.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Thats where the learning curve comes in. Losing track of one's position is entirely the fault of the player in question; aimlessly wandering about without due care can get you killed.
Same way players learn to avoid digging straight down.
Don't go out at night unless properly prepared.
An open fire in a wooden house might be a bad idea.
Creepers explode.
Obsidian is hard to break without a diamond pick.
Machines require power.
Water into a hot, dry boiler might not be a good idea.
Certain block combinations are aesthetically pleasing.

If you repeatedly die/fail/lose the same way, you aren't learning your lesson.
Adapt and evolve your strategy as you learn and improve- thats kinda how you get good at doing something.
So thats really not a fair analogy when you think about it.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

GreekAnalyzer

Jul 29, 2019
I play Vanilla, but only because my friends have computers less powerful than their phones. I actually run a private server. It's kinda fun actually but if it weren't for that I wouldn't touch vanilla.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I did enjoy vanilla back in the day (started 1.2.5 and played it a lot until about 1.7.2), but I'm one of the players whose interest in vanilla got killed by Feed The Beast.
It's weird because I used to think that I played games because I'm a gamer, but turns out that it's not really the case, I just enjoy designing and optimising machines to do complex tasks.
All of the games I play are tech or skill-related, except maybe Skyrim which is more of an adventure game. Never played an FPS game in my life.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I did enjoy vanilla back in the day (started 1.2.5 and played it a lot until about 1.7.2), but I'm one of the players whose interest in vanilla got killed by Feed The Beast.
It's weird because I used to think that I played games because I'm a gamer, but turns out that it's not really the case, I just enjoy designing and optimising machines to do complex tasks.
All of the games I play are tech or skill-related, except maybe Skyrim which is more of an adventure game. Never played an FPS game in my life.
Pretty much this. I can only pay FPSs when I've got friends over and we all mess around with the hardcore 12 year olds. Every other game I play is a healthy combination of aesthetics and logistics.

In Skyrim, I always have to build the coolest looking person, no matter how awful the combat is with him/her. When I'm in the science mood and I play Powder Toy, I spend like 30 minutes designing and implementing the bomb, laser, or whatever I'm making, and at least 45 minutes doing the decoration. Oddly enough, I've no interest in drawing or any kind of art classes...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Thats where the learning curve comes in. Losing track of one's position is entirely the fault of the player in question; aimlessly wandering about without due care can get you killed.
Same way players learn to avoid digging straight down.
Don't go out at night unless properly prepared.
An open fire in a wooden house might be a bad idea.
Creepers explode.
Obsidian is hard to break without a diamond pick.
Machines require power.
Water into a hot, dry boiler might not be a good idea.
Certain block combinations are aesthetically pleasing.

If you repeatedly die/fail/lose the same way, you aren't learning your lesson.
Adapt and evolve your strategy as you learn and improve- thats kinda how you get good at doing something.
So thats really not a fair analogy when you think about it.

Adapt and evolve, yeah I'm a human we don't do the adapting thing. I'd rather adapt things to suit me, like adding a minimap mod. I agree that such mods do remove an aspect of the game but to me it was a fustrateing BS part of the game. I remember my first base in vanilla. I had built a somewhat tall glass tower and lost it's position after getting lost.

Plus I was getting lost back in the beta days before pistons were not even a mod thing yet. Then again I solved the getting lost thing by not exploreing at all, never strayed 5 chunks away from base, this was before compasses were set to your bed and stuck to your spawn point.

The last time I played vanilla was 1.4 beta, I got in to Tekkit not soon after that.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Adapt and evolve, yeah I'm a human we don't do the adapting thing. I'd rather adapt things to suit me, like adding a minimap mod. I agree that such mods do remove an aspect of the game but to me it was a fustrateing BS part of the game. I remember my first base in vanilla. I had built a somewhat tall glass tower and lost it's position after getting lost.

Plus I was getting lost back in the beta days before pistons were not even a mod thing yet. Then again I solved the getting lost thing by not exploreing at all, never strayed 5 chunks away from base, this was before compasses were set to your bed and stuck to your spawn point.

The last time I played vanilla was 1.4 beta, I got in to Tekkit not soon after that.
Wait compasses are set to your spawn point?! I really should learn newer vaniila.

Reactions: Vogon