Distributing Fertilizer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
I recently setup an automatic way to make Industrial Fertilizer for my MFR farms. The problem is distributing the fertilizer to multiple farms. I have built the Skeleton Spawner/Ferilizer maker away from my main base to prevent lag, so piping is not an option. I was thinking about using Item Tesseracts, but I'm not sure if the items can be evenly distributed between multiple farms. I would appreciate any and all help on this problem. Thanks in advance!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I recently setup an automatic way to make Industrial Fertilizer for my MFR farms. The problem is distributing the fertilizer to multiple farms. I have built the Skeleton Spawner/Ferilizer maker away from my main base to prevent lag, so piping is not an option. I was thinking about using Item Tesseracts, but I'm not sure if the items can be evenly distributed between multiple farms. I would appreciate any and all help on this problem. Thanks in advance!

The way I've done it in single player is use an ender tank full of sewage from a distant cow farm and on-site composters. I had a power surplus when I did this, so the ender tank made it really easy to split the resource flow multiple ways and then just use the power surplus to compost on site.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Without pictures it's hard to see how far your farms are apart but think about this :

Item tesseract at your farm end with a relay next to it and equal amounts of Rp tubing from the relay to each farm, having equal tubes means the items are spread equally. But if one route is shorter than the others then all produce will go to the shortest viable target.

Like I said without an idea of how far or close your farms are to each other it's difficult to come up with a solution.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Without pictures it's hard to see how far your farms are apart but think about this :

Item tesseract at your farm end with a relay next to it and equal amounts of Rp tubing from the relay to each farm, having equal tubes means the items are spread equally. But if one route is shorter than the others then all produce will go to the shortest viable target.

Like I said without an idea of how far or close your farms are to each other it's difficult to come up with a solution.
I'm unable to post pictures because I'm away from home. I though of this question just now. Using Relays and Pneumatic pipes is also a problem because the farms themselves are not equally spread apart from each other.[DOUBLEPOST=1365798627][/DOUBLEPOST]
The way I've done it in single player is use an ender tank full of sewage from a distant cow farm and on-site composters. I had a power surplus when I did this, so the ender tank made it really easy to split the resource flow multiple ways and then just use the power surplus to compost on site.
I have a similar setup also, except the Composter barely makes any Fertilizer. I also notice some of my animals disappearing, so this is not a consistent way for me to make fertilizer.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Here's an idea.

Use a RP2 Regulator to feed the items into a chest/buffer of some sort, 2 at a time. Have Redstone Engines/Wooden Pipes on either side of the buffer, one heads off to one farm and the other to another. Even if the engines are out of sync, it won't matter since the second fertilizer should get pulled out of the second engine before the first can complete a full cycle.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Why do you need to evenly distribute? Over produce and fill all inventories.

But to answer you, tesseracts are more-or-less round robin to destination tesseracts. The more or less means you won't get exactly 1/x at every site, but it'll be close.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know how viable it would be with MFR, But I would just fill an Ender-chest with fertilizer. Use the same color Ender-chests next to both and have a Thaulmcraft Clay Golem to move it from there to your farms.

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Here's an idea.

Use a RP2 Regulator to feed the items into a chest/buffer of some sort, 2 at a time. Have Redstone Engines/Wooden Pipes on either side of the buffer, one heads off to one farm and the other to another. Even if the engines are out of sync, it won't matter since the second fertilizer should get pulled out of the second engine before the first can complete a full cycle.
Wow! Thanks for the idea. I was beginning to formulate something similar myself, but I was unable to finish my thought. This idea might work great.[DOUBLEPOST=1365799494][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why do you need to evenly distribute? Over produce and fill all inventories.

But to answer you, tesseracts are more-or-less round robin to destination tesseracts. The more or less means you won't get exactly 1/x at every site, but it'll be close.
Will I be able to have the materials sent out to more than one location? If the fertilizer is not evenly distributed, I don't much care. I was just worried that tesseracts only work with 1 sender and 1 receiver.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
You have several options.

1. Use BC pipes. They automatically evenly distribute items. Have the tesseract from your spawner spit items out into the BC pipes.
2. Make several ender chests and pipe into each fertilizer individual units from each ender chest.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm unable to post pictures because I'm away from home. I though of this question just now. Using Relays and Pneumatic pipes is also a problem because the farms themselves are not equally spread apart from each other.[DOUBLEPOST=1365798627][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a similar setup also, except the Composter barely makes any Fertilizer.

Considering it's infinite it's fine. You just make a few composters. You can get them going really, really fast and it costs nothing.

I also notice some of my animals disappearing, so this is not a consistent way for me to make fertilizer.

That is not what should happen. Might be worth investigating. I had the same problem and I discovered that during the middle of the day when I was logged off lightning would rain down from the sky and kill my cows and burn down my fences. I moved my cow farm to a dimensiona door and now it is infinite.

Reactions: Whovian

TomT

Jul 29, 2019
You could set up three item tesseract pairs. Farm1, 2, 3. Handle the fertilizer distribution on the local end, perhaps with a diamond pipe (1 fertilizer to each of three colors).

Ganoly3

Jul 29, 2019
Considering it's infinite it's fine. You just make a few composters. You can get them going really, really fast and it costs nothing.

That is not what should happen. Might be worth investigating. I had the same problem and I discovered that during the middle of the day when I was logged off lightning would rain down from the sky and kill my cows and burn down my fences. I moved my cow farm to a dimensional door and now it is infinite.
Except I'm on a SSP world, so logging off shouldn't do anything. My fences do not go away, only the animals. As for the Composters, I have already setup the Skele Spawner, which seems to make fertilizer rather quickly, so using Composters seems rather pointless.[DOUBLEPOST=1365800985][/DOUBLEPOST]
You could set up three item tesseract pairs. Farm1, 2, 3. Handle the fertilizer distribution on the local end, perhaps with a diamond pipe (1 fertilizer to each of three colors).
I plan on doing something similar, except using RP2 Regulators with BC pipes.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
1 send tesseract, 3 receive tesseracts. If you don't have enough fert production to keep all 3 stocked use something to block some of the slots in each fertiliser, I use buttons.