Direwolf20 season 7 - Huzzah!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
He's under the impression that the coolant affects the hull heat ergo impacting power gen. But iirc it just affects core temp which makes the hull hotter meaning more steam. Right?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There are 3 temps in a big reactor. Core- how hot the fuel rods are. Environment - the energy contained in the volume of the reactor. And hull. The temp of the casing. The hull temp is a constant that is 100c for steam mode reactors. Energy or steam is generated by the flow of heat from the emvironment to the hull and this rate is proportional to the temp difference between the hull and interior and the interior surface area of the hull.

The energy contained in the interior is a combination of energy generated by radiation being captured by 'coolant' and heat radiating out from the core. Here the predominant limit to heat propagating from the fuel rods is the thermal conductivity of the blocks immediately adjacent to fuel rods.

So the useful heat is the interior heat in both reactor types and heating the interior efficiently means both capturing radiation with materials with a high absorption and moving the heat from the fuel rods where it is bad and damages efficiency into the interior via high thermal conductivity blocks.

Dires reactor does neither.

http://farproc.wikidot.com/big-reactor-data for reference.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So did dire build his reactor well?
Or i mean efficiently?

If you are following his Lets Play and want to build the things he does, but would like to build a better Big Reactor.

http://br.sidoh.org/

Is your first stop. A little bit of experimentation here will yield a big reactor that uses vastly less materials, and is vastly more efficent, than Dires. You will however need to make an actual coolant such as Cyrotheum, as Dires mix of gold and air is just appalling.

You only need 2000mB/t of steam which can be done with something a lot smaller.

Strangely he seems more knowledgable about making turbines.

Last edited:

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
Dire shouldn't have changed his reactor shape, just add some gelid cryotheum, and that will make it a LOT more efficient...His reactor generates More than 2000 mb/steam per tick because he is planning to have more than one turbine.

I know that some people like to build wide, flat, 9x3x9 tall reactors which I heard can be more efficient, but I HATE that design just because it doesn't feel/look very "reactory"/imposing, like tall reactors do. It's a giant machine for god sake and it should look like one, which means it should be at least 5 blocks tall.

With similar logic I don't like people's use of paper in Tinkers Construct tools...it's too flexible to be a realistic tool material. If I want a heavy tool I want no paper in it in real life, and the same in minecraft. Thaumium is a great (and stronger) alternative to paper (a full thaumium pickaxe is stronger than iron and has 2 more modifiers than a standard pickaxe [5 vs 3])

'Cause I'm an existentialist minecrafter.

Which is why I don't get why blocks can float in the air without some flight engines...

Direwolf20 Season 7 - Discussion Topic

As probably most of you all have noticed by now, the Direwolf20 pack for season 7 has been released and is now available on the launcher. With that direwolf also released the first episode of the new season and is now available on youtube.

And with a new pack comes a new season, and with a new season I thought it'd be fitting if there was also a new discussion topic.

Season 7 has been announced for a few weeks now, with some sneak peaks here and there by Direwolf20 and people who were testing the pack and were streaming it live on Twitch. The pack was announced to be released today in DireNews - Episode 13 which was released yesterday. The first episode of season 7 was also released today, which you can watch here.

You can use this topic to discuss about the Direwolf20 season 7 pack or about season 7 itself. If you want to report bugs about the pack, you can do that here.

You may want to consider installing Fastcraft yourself into the pack, which was not officially added to the pack due to it still being a beta. If you want to download Fastcraft you can do that here.
To install Fastcraft simply drop the downloaded file into the mods folder of your Direwolf20 instance.

For future changelogs of the pack you can follow this page, where official changelogs are posted for the Direwolf20 pack by @VikeStep.

If you're interested on playing the same seed as Direwolf20 for season 7, he used these settings for the world.

The mods that are in the season 7 pack can be found in the list down below. This list of all the mods has been put together by @Watchful11 and was posted on the FTB Reddit

To give you a few examples of things you can discuss, you could for example discuss:
  • What mods you've added or removed from the pack.
  • What configuration changes you've made to the configurations.
  • What world/seed you're playing with the season 7 pack.
  • Some screenshots of the world you've been playing with the season 7 pack.
  • Your thoughts and opinions about the pack and the season.
  • Builds you've done with the pack.

And so on. Please be polite to eachother and keep the heated discussions to a minimum.

MapWriter is not in the 1.7.10 pack and never was. It was in 1.6.4

No, but fortunately for him he knows how to use CC to MAKE it more efficient then it would be without it. But it could be much much better.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

He should just put some cryotheum in the empty spaces and all will be well.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
According to the FTB launcher, Mapwriter is indeed part of DW20's 1.7 pack. It's in the disabled by default list.

Folded paper is incredibly strong, and while it would be less than useful for mining underwater, that's part of the willing suspension of disbelief of the game.

And what's more, you only need one post to say multiple responses. That's why multi-quote if you're responding to multiple people.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Now that you guys look like you're randomly yelling at a guy for a large post, I'll jump in and agree here. I just merged seven posts together, all of which could have started as a single post with the edit button.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
OK OK OK...no hard feelings.

Just used the edit button to add in this sentence.

block of blocks of blocks of blocks of blocks of nether stars

Last edited by a moderator:

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the size, and power output. I typically get by with one but I use much smaller turbines.
Yes you can, I guess, size a turbine to fit approximately the full capacity of one max size High pressure steam boiler, and it's a good idea because according to my calculations, just using ordinary engines/dynamos will get you only 1,440 RF/t (I guess you can get it to 2000 RF/t by upgrading the dynamos). Still, however, a turbine powered by one steam boiler should yield over 7000 RF/t. I think that that is one good power option.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
Does ANYONE agree with me that Dire should fill his reactor with Gelid cryotheum?

Fuel consumption difference (1 turbine): 0.45 mb/t (no cryotheum) > 0.38 mb/t (with cryotheum).

Steam output difference (maximum power): 8700 mb/t (no cryotheum) > 10840 mb/t (with cryotheum). Note that they use the same amount of fuel (1.67 mb/t) at maximum capacity, but produce differents amount of steam.

Thus, By filling his reactor with Cryotheum, he could power one more turbine , so instead of 4 he could have 5, meaning an extra 24,000 RF/t, for a total of 120,000 RF/t, without increasing fuel consumption at all. This extra power could power his yellorium laser drills, giving him about 100,000 RF/t of net energy gain (a HUGE amount, considering that a Dynamo makes 80 rf/t, that makes for about 1250 Dynamos, and I have three, which give me enough power.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Mental note, never let chris becke into my base, aka Cobbleton.

After several attempts to create unique and creative structures, including a Frank Lloyd Wright style neo modern base, a town with several varying structures including a magic tower that looked more like a mad max mosque and a massive white crusader castle, I've reverted back to an entirely cobble castle with three block thick walls to hide conduit etc, towers and a keep. I've tried to emulate what I consider to be a natural progression beginning with the typical cave/hobbit hole and plan to refine this in the future whilte maintaining some sort of attempt at structural integrity despite minecraft physics.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I also kept cringing at his quantum bridge use, just put a few P2P through the bridge it'll let you pass up to 1024 channels across.

In his current design of the controller he could put 8 P2P on the underside of the controller and then pass them through the quantum bridge.

Then put a controller on the other side in the main base and connect the P2P to that. Voila 256 channels available in his overworld base