Direwolf20 1.7.10 released

Byotox

Jul 29, 2019
Did you install Fastcraft for better terraingeneration? Helps alot with FPS when comming to new areas.

No, unless it's enough to bring FPS from 12 to 60, I don't think it's worth the effort.

It's running really slow, lag spikes (freezes) are happening every once in a while.

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
No, unless it's enough to bring FPS from 12 to 60, I don't think it's worth the effort.

It's running really slow, lag spikes (freezes) are happening every once in a while.
It is. Without it I get 2 FPS. With it I can get up to 100.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
Java 8 just changed my gameplay!!!

I usually had to restart the client every 30 mins since something would start to slow down(chunk loading or FPS or crafting table or whatever...).

3 hours in, no issues at all :)

I can absolutely confirm this! Updating from Java 7 to the latest Java 8 solved the lag problems almost completely. Especially the growing lag over time (NEI etc) has gone.

It seems to produce a crash here and there (I had it once in 5 hours of play), but everything is better than restarting MC every 30 minutes :D

KrixxisKai

Jul 29, 2019
For those of you still having issues with lag, I am on an older laptop, with 4gb ram max, and after installing fastcraft, and disabling journeymap and then enabling opis, (because I still want a minimap lol) I can confirm that I have been able to play for quite some time without noticeable fps drop or lag. It actually seems to run better than some of the 1.6 packs I have played in the past.

Byotox

Jul 29, 2019
For those of you still having issues with lag, I am on an older laptop, with 4gb ram max, and after installing fastcraft, and disabling journeymap and then enabling opis, (because I still want a minimap lol) I can confirm that I have been able to play for quite some time without noticeable fps drop or lag. It actually seems to run better than some of the 1.6 packs I have played in the past.

I dropped Fastcraft on my mod folder (FTB\direwolf20_17\minecraft\mods) and enabled it on the Launcher. The game itself took a couple of minutes to load up as usual but when I actually created a new world...

*BOOM 144 FPS*
Whatever these guys coded, they did it right. If you guys are experiencing lag, please install this thing.

Reactions: Wagon154

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
I dropped Fastcraft on my mod folder (FTB\direwolf20_17\minecraft\mods) and enabled it on the Launcher. The game itself took a couple of minutes to load up as usual but when I actually created a new world...

*BOOM 144 FPS*
Whatever these guys coded, they did it right. If you guys are experiencing lag, please install this thing.
It's made by Player(One of the devs of IC2). It implements some optimizations added in 1.8.

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is that certain mods just cause a huge load on the CPU. So disable some of them and the game should get more stable.
To me mod like Botania, PnyeumaticCraft and mostly the JourneyMap mod caused my CPU to be on more than 80% load (all six cores!).

You might also try and not use any tanks that causes liquids to render to save some FPS.
I've not seen FTB use more than 1 core on my system...
I'd always heard client MC as being single-threaded.

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda. Garbage collection is multithreaded, and some small things in MC are multithreaded, but none of the important stuff.

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
It would be very very helpful if DW could change the pack multipart config to include Chisel blocks, as per here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1syq84/multipart_configs_for_chisel_mod/

Unfortunately, the config change has to be made both server and client side, if it's made on just one then you can't connect to the server, meaning we can't manually update our server because manually editing config files is beyond the ability of some of our younger players. if it was to be changed in the pack then everyone is happy.

I'd love to build my base with Chisel blocks, but unless I can use covers to hide my ugly pipes....

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
It would be very very helpful if DW could change the pack multipart config to include Chisel blocks, as per here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1syq84/multipart_configs_for_chisel_mod/

Unfortunately, the config change has to be made both server and client side, if it's made on just one then you can't connect to the server, meaning we can't manually update our server because manually editing config files is beyond the ability of some of our younger players. if it was to be changed in the pack then everyone is happy.

I'd love to build my base with Chisel blocks, but unless I can use covers to hide my ugly pipes....

I believe that is an upcoming fix for the next version.
But you should also take a look at EnderIO's pipe hiding system. It's very nice.
You toss the cover block and what you want to change it into into the painter and place the blocks over the pipes. You can then use the Yata wrench to turn them transparent and shift + scroll wheel if you need to interact with a specific one.
Please see Direwolf20's spotlight for more details.

Zadkiel

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the answer, I just asked DW20 in the charity stream he's doing right now and he also confirmed it should be in 1.0.2

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

1.8 adds multithreading for world generation. Also, at one point they (Mojang) were talking about each dimension (Overwoorld, Nerther, End, etc.) operating on it's own thread and also possibly rewriting Mob AI to be multithreaded as well, but I don't know the timeframe for the last two.

Also, there is a huge difference between Multi-core and Multi-threaded, and the two shouldn't be confused.

A single core can run multithreaded code... IBM's OS/2 did it back before we even had servers with two CPUs on board, let alone two or more cores on a single chip.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I believe that is an upcoming fix for the next version.
But you should also take a look at EnderIO's pipe hiding system. It's very nice.
You toss the cover block and what you want to change it into into the painter and place the blocks over the pipes. You can then use the Yata wrench to turn them transparent and shift + scroll wheel if you need to interact with a specific one.
Please see Direwolf20's spotlight for more details.

Conduit covers also go transparent when you have a Crescent Hammer in your hand... I don't know if it's intentional or a generic behavior.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda. Garbage collection is multithreaded, and some small things in MC are multithreaded, but none of the important stuff.
Also, MC 1.7 might be single threaded in most of his code but that doesnt mean mods are single threaded!

In DW20 1.7 I clearly note an higher use of my CPU, not that its poorly coded. On the contrary, it seems to be better optimized. Since most of 1.6 execution was single-threaded, the most CPU it could use was 25% since I have 4 cores and it was only using one core. Now I see the CPU going to 50 or even 60%, so it means something is launching other threads and using the other cores being more efficient. With Java 8 optimized garbage collection and thread management, it just becomes awesome!

After I installed Java 8, I havent tested the pack with Jorney map to see if I still have problems but in my opinion, the pack should come with Opis by default, a starting screen warning advising to install Fastcraft (this is possible with a small mod) and the FTB Launcher should be updated to advise players to install Java 8, the same way they advise to use Java x64... (since this affects every 1.7.10 pack)

Now... we only need to find out what is leaking memory (the reason Java crashes after 7-8 hours of gameplay). It can be a mod or it can be MC himself(the dimension leaks for each there might be no solution)....

nacknicknack

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,
But whenever an Unstable Ice Core explodes, it crashes my server.
Its a know bug by twilight forest
and its fixed in 2.3.2
But direwolf20 1.7.10 is still in 2.3.1
So and update would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Nacknicknack

David Benston

Jul 29, 2019
One issue I found using my 2009 MBP, I apparently had switched to the embedded graphics and forgot to re-enable the discrete 9600. Once I did that the pack ran a lot better. I don't think VGA made much difference at all on 1.6.4, but on this it seems to matter. Glad it's making use of the hardware.

Removing Journey Maps completely was a huge boost too, teleport felt like cheating anyway (but I'm missing the Portal Gun). REI works great, though I'd rather have Voxel...it's available for 1.1.10 but it appears to require more work to install than I feel like putting in at the moment.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone knows if the chisel-blocks will be added into the microblocks (so being able to use the saw on them) or is that an 1.7.10 issue that this won't happen for a while?

(really miss being able to turn the chisel-blocks into microblocks :( )

Wagon154

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone knows if the chisel-blocks will be added into the microblocks (so being able to use the saw on them) or is that an 1.7.10 issue that this won't happen for a while?

(really miss being able to turn the chisel-blocks into microblocks :( )
Yes. In the next update of DW20.