Direwolf20 1.10 Pack Casually Scarfing Down 6 Gigs of Private Bytes On The Home Menu

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I just spend 9 hours without restarting the game and those little lags I got before are gone... only thing I did was installing FoamFix.
Got my approval. (if this counts for anybody :p )

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Ergh... not sure how I feel about this mod. No curseforge, no github, tons of inappropriate memes which are irritating and exceedingly childishly annoying... not gonna touch this until someone verifies it does something useful.

Which memes in particular are inappropriate, and in what context?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Which memes in particular are inappropriate, and in what context?
Let's start with the drug culture crap and go from there? Not amusing. I busted my ass to get out of the ghetto to get away from that crap. Last thing I'm going to do is let my kid see it.

FYI: Minecraft is a Y13 game. Kids play this game. Your joke was not amusing.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I don't know what site you are looking at, but I see no drug references. Just something that would fit in with the old days of myspace.com

http://asie.pl/foamfix/ is the link I'm looking at.

If this isn't your site @asiekierka then someone else has re-uploaded it to a different, still non-stellar site :)

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with cptqrk... I've been up and down the site umpteen times and see no drug references. I've been known to miss the obvious before...

Imred_Gemu

Jul 29, 2019
So that's from 15 to 25 fps? That's actually a huge improvement. I don't see why you can say that's not really helpful?
I went from casually doing 60 FPS in an advanced world, to 25 in a world with nothing built in it, no chunk loaders or complex machines. It only slightly improves FPS in a world with no strain on it besides just existing. It did not reduce ram usage either, it still maxes out my system and locks up any other program running, so I can only use the game if it's the only open application, or everything locks up for a few years.

The rendering changes and the shift to models basically trades CPU for RAM to increase performance, this means that any pack with a reasonable number of mods is going to need at least 4 GB to even launch. The 2.5-3GB that you were seeing for just 20-30 mods is a lot more than you'd be using in 1.7.10 and earlier, you'd have been able to have 4 or 5 times that number of mods in the same amount of RAM. FoamFix does help and I've seen report of 0.5GB being knocked off by using it, which is why it's now in our packs.
I'm getting 6 gigs just to launch, and 7+ to load a world, even after Xmxing it to 4 gigs. I don't understand why they made the changes you are describing. I don't claim to have much understanding at all of how Forge works under the hood, but I was always taught to (within reason) favor minimizing RAM usage over everything. Can you explain these changes and their benefits more in depth?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I went from casually doing 60 FPS in an advanced world, to 25 in a world with nothing built in it, no chunk loaders or complex machines. It only slightly improves FPS in a world with no strain on it besides just existing. It did not reduce ram usage either, it still maxes out my system and locks up any other program running, so I can only use the game if it's the only open application, or everything locks up for a few years.

I'm getting 6 gigs just to launch, and 7+ to load a world, even after Xmxing it to 4 gigs. I don't understand why they made the changes you are describing. I don't claim to have much understanding at all of how Forge works under the hood, but I was always taught to (within reason) favor minimizing RAM usage over everything. Can you explain these changes and their benefits more in depth?

It was not Forge doing that but Minecraft itself. The reasoning behind the changes is that modern computers typically have more memory and *if* you have enough memory the changes to vanilla actually help with performance. If you don't have enough memory then things get worse.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Let's start with the drug culture crap and go from there? Not amusing. I busted my ass to get out of the ghetto to get away from that crap. Last thing I'm going to do is let my kid see it.

Which drug culture references appear on the site? There was one (unrelated) meme someone rightfully pointed out as potentially offensive, but it was pulled within less than a day of the site going live (that is, when I became aware of their reasoning - which didn't occur to me immediately, as memes and words often evolve wildly from their original meaning on the Internet).

Also, "go from there". To where?

Imred_Gemu

Jul 29, 2019
It was not Forge doing that but Minecraft itself. The reasoning behind the changes is that modern computers typically have more memory and *if* you have enough memory the changes to vanilla actually help with performance. If you don't have enough memory then things get worse.
Ahh, so I'm barking up the wrong tree here. It still seems like bad practice to me based on what I've been taught, that's a pretty huge *if* to hinge the performance of a product this huge on, although I guess it doesn't matter with vanilla since it pulls less than a gig anyway. My POS laptop could handle that, so I can see the thinking that most modern computers can handle that functionality in vanilla, but it wasn't nice of them not to take the modded community into consideration with that. At the very least they could have made this new system optional, because things definitely got worse for me in modded.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ahh, so I'm barking up the wrong tree here. It still seems like bad practice to me based on what I've been taught, that's a pretty huge *if* to hinge the performance of a product this huge on, although I guess it doesn't matter with vanilla since it pulls less than a gig anyway. My POS laptop could handle that, so I can see the thinking that most modern computers can handle that functionality in vanilla, but it wasn't nice of them not to take the modded community into consideration with that. At the very least they could have made this new system optional, because things definitely got worse for me in modded.

Well as I said, the current system *is* better if you have enough memory. I have very good performance with 1.10.2. Better then with 1.7.10 but the I have 16 gigs ram

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013

The "new system" is a major rewrite of the rendering engine. Not really possible to keep both around. The problem is not in the modding community not being considered, either. It's that we, as modders, and that includes both Forge itself and Forge mods, could use the ideas of the new system more efficiently/effectively, and FoamFix proves it's not difficult to provide major gains to the existing system without negatively impacting compatibility (I coded most of the mod in two days).

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013

After getting at least six people (no kidding!) to try and identify the "drug culture crap", we finally found - and subsequently learned via UrbanDictionary - that "go fast" has a different meaning in the world of drug culture. I'm afraid, however, that in this case it's just a reference to the name of a children's cartoon theme song; a children's cartoon which features a hedgehog which runs quickly, just like the video games it was based on: "The North American opening and closing theme, titled "Gotta Go Fast", was performed by Norman J. Grossfeld and Russell Velazquez.".

Reactions: Dentvar
L

Lovely

I had 6gb of ram and it would use all of it just to launch,the pack does require atleast 3.5gb allocated to even finish loading.
Now I have 12GB of ram and it launches faster, but still unplayable.

I have an i7 930 3ghz, 12gb ram, 7970, x64 windows7, java 8, ssd, 1440p monitor, and still get 10fps.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I had 6gb of ram and it would use all of it just to launch,the pack does require atleast 3.5gb allocated to even finish loading.
Now I have 12GB of ram and it launches faster, but still unplayable.

I have an i7 930 3ghz, 12gb ram, 7970, x64 windows7, java 8, ssd, 1440p monitor, and still get 10fps.

Giving MC 3.5 of a total of 6GB of ram, leaves little for your OS... or anything else...

Set your ram usage for the modpack to around 4GB, maybe 5GB... Remember, with Java, more ram doesn't equal better performance.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Giving MC 3.5 of a total of 6GB of ram, leaves little for your OS... or anything else...

Set your ram usage for the modpack to around 4GB, maybe 5GB... Remember, with Java, more ram doesn't equal better performance.

He said he has 12 GB... plenty of ram for other uses. Your point about Java, however, coupled with the way Minecraft was written... :D

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
He said he has 12 GB... plenty of ram for other uses. Your point about Java, however, coupled with the way Minecraft was written... :D

I was referring to the first line of their post. If I misunderstood, my bad :)

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
You shouldn't give MC more than 4.5 gigs of RAM. Above that, it handles the RAM sloppily and it actually slows down.
Also, if you don't have a graphics card, your comp will use some of its RAM as graphics RAM.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
You shouldn't give MC more than 4.5 gigs of RAM. Above that, it handles the RAM sloppily and it actually slows down.

I don't know where you heard this, I can assure you that it is not the case. Allocating too much can be detrimental, although these days that is a lot less impacting than it used to be. As has been said in this thread, newer packs will require considerably more ram to run than you are used to, especially if you use a high res resource pack.