Direwolf20 1.10 Pack Casually Scarfing Down 6 Gigs of Private Bytes On The Home Menu

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

missHPfan2

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. So the threshold is higher with the newer ones. Makes sense if they require 3 or 4 gigs just to launch.
Still, having a halfway decent graphics card is always nice. I'd go for at least 2 gigs of graphics RAM, more if you like HD resource packs. I've never really used resource or texture packs, and my card, which has 2 gigs of graphics RAM, still manages to get the job done. I have 8 gigs of normal RAM, not that impressive nowadays but it still works.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity etc require 4G just to launch (yay Java). I've seen a laptop with 6G and integrated graphics fail to launch Infinity. Upgrade to single channel 8G and it would launch but still laggy. Add another 4G to second channel and bam, dual channel mode kicks in and lag gone and disc goes from 100% to 10% when launching. 8G would have worked fine if it had been 2 4G sticks working in dual channel mode and didnt have anything else running.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I don't know where you heard this, I can assure you that it is not the case. Allocating too much can be detrimental, although these days that is a lot less impacting than it used to be. As has been said in this thread, newer packs will require considerably more ram to run than you are used to, especially if you use a high res resource pack.
This used to be the case in 1.7.10, if you didn't use a resource pack and were playing something like Infinity.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Even when the statement is qualified by saying no resource packs it doesn't hold true, really large packs could easily require more than 4.5GB in 1.7.10, I've personally seen crash logs in the past with over 700 mods installed for example. Saying over 4.5GB is detrimental vs saying that allocating too much is not the same thing, that is my point. Certainly at this point that advice is out of date, the newer javas deal with that situation a lot better.

ookagaricrypt

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious though, what's the difference between anarchy and lawful? Apparently lawful doesn't use coremods and anarchy does, but how does that make a difference? Is using a coremod risky somehow? Apparently anarchy gives more of a reduction, but is it worth the risk? I've been using anarchy, but will I run the risk of ruining my saves somehow?

Also as an aside I dunno what the problem is with the website. I like the cringy meme laden cheesiness of it! I get the need for "professionalism" but people need to relax some and have a good laugh now and then! It's light on the information, but from what I hear fastcraft was just as obtuse if not more so in it's giving of information...

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The main difference is a core mod has more hooks into minecraft and can bypass forge. Forge doesn't recommend the use of core modes for more stability. The mod author simply chose the terms lawful (normal mod) and anarchy (core mod) to represent that the fact the core mods aren't normally recommended. But if you need the increased performance that the core mod (anarchy) gives you then go use it.

mlane16

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any other posts about this, so I don't know if this is just an issue I'm dealing with for some reason, but I have a decent gaming computer with 8 gigs of ram that can handle just about any game I throw at it... except Direwolf20 1.10.2. It consumes almost the entirety of the available ram just showing me the main menu. Is this a problem that anyone else is having, or does the new modpack just hate me?
Unfortunately, I'm getting this issue in spite of limmiting the jvm to 4 gigs. Xmx only limits what memory the virtual application can use, but has no effect on permgen, stack size, or native libraries' memory usage. I've seen posts mentioning that they've changed how models are loaded. If that's true I'm thinking that they're doing something that's causing the LWJGL native to leak memory like a sieve. I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem.

1) Recently I too have had the same problem with the only difference being mine is 6 Gb (excluding the graphics cards memory). Were you ever able to find a work around?

The rendering changes and the shift to models basically trades CPU for RAM to increase performance, this means that any pack with a reasonable number of mods is going to need at least 4 GB to even launch. The 2.5-3GB that you were seeing for just 20-30 mods is a lot more than you'd be using in 1.7.10 and earlier, you'd have been able to have 4 or 5 times that number of mods in the same amount of RAM. FoamFix does help and I've seen report of 0.5GB being knocked off by using it, which is why it's now in our packs.

2) For FTB devs: Can you look into if FoamFix is working correctly with Direwolf20 especially related to enderIO? I too have been getting 6 Gb to 8 Gb of committed memory instead of 4 Gb as well. Committed memory or Private Memory is the actual memory that should set the min RAM requirements of a game (whichever is higher). Also based on what you said PermSize and XMX don't seem to really affect allocation anymore, do you have any tips on how to set up Minecraft or java to better allocate and utilize memory for these newer versions?

P.S. There is more I wanted to ask you Quetzi and the other mods about, but I will have to save for my next post. For example, some of the things you and the other mode mentioned 1.10 sound similar to Big Data Volume problems I have seen as a data analysis. If you could reply to my initial questions labeled in (2), in the meantime I would appreciate it very much.

I've experienced similar issues in DW20 all the way back to the 1.6 era. There seemed to be a memory leak caused by loading or unloading chunks. I heard rumors that it was caused by Mystcraft, but I don't think the source was ever confirmed, since it was never fixed. This kind of memory leak was tolerable to me, it made the game unplayable after a few hours of use, but then I just had to restart. The issue I have now makes the game unplayable as soon as I turn it on.
I can confirm that at one time Mystcraft chunk issue was real though there was more than one flavor. First, Mystworlds at one point had intentional instability built into them where chunks and eventually the world would crash after a certain time or conditions were met. Originally it was "in-game computer code" you used to create your mystic craft world, but then it later became an actual pseudorandom aspect where the instability was based on the seed number and the number of worlds that had be created so far. This second pseudorandom version did go into the 1.7.4 FTB version, but it should be disabled by default. Second and more likely what you experienced, Mystcraft does not like quarry blocks or chunck-loading blocks and when mixed with them creates persistent chunk issues. I would assume that FTB devs got it fixed, by now; however, it was a thing.

P.P.S. Yes, your private or committed RAM memory can exceed (the combined ram of your CPU and GPU). JVM and many languages typically write some memory to disk. It is sometimes bad thing when it does exceed your combined RAM, but its normally safe in short bursts.

Last edited: