Direwolf20 1.10 Pack Casually Scarfing Down 6 Gigs of Private Bytes On The Home Menu

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Imred_Gemu

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any other posts about this, so I don't know if this is just an issue I'm dealing with for some reason, but I have a decent gaming computer with 8 gigs of ram that can handle just about any game I throw at it... except Direwolf20 1.10.2. It consumes almost the entirety of the available ram just showing me the main menu. Is this a problem that anyone else is having, or does the new modpack just hate me?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This is most likely how Java handles Garbage Handling, which is unfortunately garbage. Drop the RAM down to around 4GB or even 3GB and it'll perform much better.

Imred_Gemu

Jul 29, 2019
This is most likely how Java handles Garbage Handling, which is unfortunately garbage. Drop the RAM down to around 4GB or even 3GB and it'll perform much better.
Unfortunately, I'm getting this issue in spite of limmiting the jvm to 4 gigs. Xmx only limits what memory the virtual application can use, but has no effect on permgen, stack size, or native libraries' memory usage. I've seen posts mentioning that they've changed how models are loaded. If that's true I'm thinking that they're doing something that's causing the LWJGL native to leak memory like a sieve. I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, I'm getting this issue in spite of limmiting the jvm to 4 gigs. Xmx only limits what memory the virtual application can use, but has no effect on permgen, stack size, or native libraries' memory usage. I've seen posts mentioning that they've changed how models are loaded. If that's true I'm thinking that they're doing something that's causing the LWJGL native to leak memory like a sieve. I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem.

I thought I understand enough of PC´s... but my Brain just blew :)
But I have problems in my SSP world (DW20 1.10.2) that after more or les an hour I get mini legs from time to time. I thought that its maybe because 4GB Ram are not enough for this pack but after this here I´m struggeling if I´m objective here or that there is just so many stuff I´m not aware of and thats its not only about maximum RAM available....

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
1.10.2 is a bit more heavy then 1.7.10 with memory usage. One mod that helps a great deal is 'foamfix' from asie. Google that, install it and enjoy the extra speed. It helps a great deal

Reactions: DREVL

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks MCJty I will try... The mod already gained my appriciation by seeing that his creative skills are only slightly better then mine are :D

The "Features" Section is godly :p The fotos even changes if you mouseover... Maybe this is the feature and not the content of the foto. lol

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
1.10.2 is a bit more heavy then 1.7.10 with memory usage. One mod that helps a great deal is 'foamfix' from asie. Google that, install it and enjoy the extra speed. It helps a great deal
Man... I hope your right. Like Fastcraft hope your right.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Here's the thing though... I have done several iterations of different 1.10.2 custom packs that never broke 2.5 maybe 3GBs... I had around 30 mods. Major ones too. Something about these FTB packs is black holeing memory.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
and I hope his website never changes... It is an impeccable change of pace....

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Here's the thing though... I have done several iterations of different 1.10.2 custom packs that never broke 2.5 maybe 3GBs... I had around 30 mods. Major ones too. Something about these FTB packs is black holeing memory.

I don't think FtB has a pack with that few mods... :D

Imred_Gemu

Jul 29, 2019
I thought I understand enough of PC´s... but my Brain just blew :)
But I have problems in my SSP world (DW20 1.10.2) that after more or les an hour I get mini legs from time to time. I thought that its maybe because 4GB Ram are not enough for this pack but after this here I´m struggeling if I´m objective here or that there is just so many stuff I´m not aware of and thats its not only about maximum RAM available....
I've experienced similar issues in DW20 all the way back to the 1.6 era. There seemed to be a memory leak caused by loading or unloading chunks. I heard rumors that it was caused by Mystcraft, but I don't think the source was ever confirmed, since it was never fixed. This kind of memory leak was tolerable to me, it made the game unplayable after a few hours of use, but then I just had to restart. The issue I have now makes the game unplayable as soon as I turn it on.

I'll give it a try, if it actually does what it says it will probably fix my problem. Still, I wanna know if this is an issue that other people are having as well.

Are you having memory problems when you first start the game, or after playing for a few hours as Dentvar described?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I've experienced similar issues in DW20 all the way back to the 1.6 era. There seemed to be a memory leak caused by loading or unloading chunks. I heard rumors that it was caused by Mystcraft, but I don't think the source was ever confirmed, since it was never fixed. This kind of memory leak was tolerable to me, it made the game unplayable after a few hours of use, but then I just had to restart. The issue I have now makes the game unplayable as soon as I turn it on.

I'll give it a try, if it actually does what it says it will probably fix my problem. Still, I wanna know if this is an issue that other people are having as well.

Are you having memory problems when you first start the game, or after playing for a few hours as Dentvar described?
back in 1.7 I had to have fastcraft to even function throughout. Doing FTB custom packs with around 30 mods in 1.10.2 was fine. I had things like IC2, Forestry (I think this one was a Memory hole) BM, IE, Bot, BoP, Psi, Eio, Tic, RFTools, around 15 other additional info mods. Any of the Fresh FTB 1102 packs would grind to a halt after 10 minutes of just trying to boot up the instance. Added the McJ mod, and it still takes a while, but the DW20 runs... but struggles which I understand.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Mostly, I have always struggled with Official FTB packs from the curse launcher, but haven't had too much issue with my custom packs using the curse luancher.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

While the foamfix website is.... atrocious, and you can't find it on curse, the mod does do wonders for my framerates (DW20 1.10 with extra mods added in, i7 nvidia 960 4gigs ram allocated). I would highly suggest looking into this for anyone experiencing poor performance.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ergh... not sure how I feel about this mod. No curseforge, no github, tons of inappropriate memes which are irritating and exceedingly childishly annoying... not gonna touch this until someone verifies it does something useful.

Imred_Gemu

Jul 29, 2019
Ergh... not sure how I feel about this mod. No curseforge, no github, tons of inappropriate memes which are irritating and exceedingly childishly annoying... not gonna touch this until someone verifies it does something useful.
https://github.com/asiekierka/FoamFix
Maybe gave me 10 extra fps at best. Not much considering that puts me at a whopping total of 25. It's harmless, but not really helpful to me.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

It is now part of several big FTB modpacks. I use it myself and it *does* help a great deal.

Asie just decided to use a 'lighter' theme for his page I suppose.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The rendering changes and the shift to models basically trades CPU for RAM to increase performance, this means that any pack with a reasonable number of mods is going to need at least 4 GB to even launch. The 2.5-3GB that you were seeing for just 20-30 mods is a lot more than you'd be using in 1.7.10 and earlier, you'd have been able to have 4 or 5 times that number of mods in the same amount of RAM. FoamFix does help and I've seen report of 0.5GB being knocked off by using it, which is why it's now in our packs.