December News

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I know what your saying. But players that love KS packs will not play expert lite packs.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
However as this thread shows, the people with an issue are the people who want the expert pack. I am not trying to make a second pack, I am making a compromise.

In addition, FTB has the technology to actively switch it on and off.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The ones that are being vocal on here are the ones who like expert mode and have waited for three updates for the pack. Not the whole community. Sometimes you just have to do what is right by you and let the people wait to produce better content. Beside a quick lite pack no matter the type wouldn't be the expert pack they waited. As there is already Direwolf pack which is new out just released in fact so there is content for them to play.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
True, however a small starter might keep them satiated until the main course is served.

However, you have reminded me there are 3rd party packs that are available, and so I shall concede to that point. You have bested me on combat and so I shall admit defeat.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Yes i remember i did a quick start guide and lp for your pack. :)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
"So make it for us."

This is what all the complaining about "Scheduling", "Promises", ETAs and the like boil down to if you parse the comments honestly. People too lazy, busy or whatever to make their own pack want it done for them, usually spouting off about how "easy" it would be to make it.

If anyone capable of putting a pack together thought about it honestly, they would cede their reasons for not doing it themselves to the FtB team... Those reasons apply to those individuals as well.

Reactions: egor66

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
"So make it for us."

This is what all the complaining about "Scheduling", "Promises", ETAs and the like boil down to if you parse the comments honestly. People too lazy, busy or whatever to make their own pack want it done for them, usually spouting off about how "easy" it would be to make it.

If anyone capable of putting a pack together thought about it honestly, they would cede their reasons for not doing it themselves to the FtB team... Those reasons apply to those individuals as well.
Making packs is what FTB does. Trying to give feedback on how they do it is not out of turn.
Microsoft does not tell people to make their own OS when someone has an idea on how to do things differently.
Also I would like to point out that most people who are not happy about the announcement seem to be upset with the way that information is communicated more so than the fact that there will be a kitchen sink pack released before the expert mode.

However, you have reminded me there are 3rd party packs that are available, and so I shall concede to that point. You have bested me on combat and so I shall admit defeat.
I have played a number of 3rd party packs, aka those published by FTB but maintained by non-staff, and I must say that the level of quality is what makes them stand out for me.
I can not imagine an FTB (incl. third party) pack containing client crashing bugs in a mod integral to progress (*cough* Nuclearcraft in Modern Skyblock 2) or recipes in JEI not being correct (*cough* AoE).
However, "official" 3rd party packs are about as rare as first party packs are.
In a perfect scenario FTB would be able to provide a new pack once the life time of the previous one has expired. Bringing in "QA'd" 3rd party packs was a major leap forward and essential to speed up release schedules.
Putting effort into curation of 3rd party packs seems like a reasonable approach to significantly increase productivity. I am not even sure if there is an official way to submit packs for review, or if there is a "support structure" in place for people willing to dedicate the time/effort.
Are there any incentives to publish a pack in partnership with FTB?
I like the idea of showcasing more minor but well maintained packs simply to allow users with less insight to pick out stuff that is worth playing (and actually working properly).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I can not imagine an FTB (incl. third party) pack containing client crashing bugs in a mod integral to progress (*cough* Nuclearcraft in Modern Skyblock 2) or recipes in JEI not being correct (*cough* AoE).

You evidently were not around when Infinity Evolved: Expert mode was initially released. It took a bit and quite a releases before they fixed a lot of recipe issues and conflicts. FTB like other pack developers must relay on community feedback to fix issues they didn't foresee. This is true of every single "expert" pack. There are just too many changes and while they do test the main progression path. They can't account for how other players outside of their testers will play the pack and either find issues or loopholes that they didn't find in initial testing.

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
You evidently were not around when Infinity Evolved: Expert mode was initially released. It took a bit and quite a releases before they fixed a lot of recipe issues and conflicts. FTB like other pack developers must relay on community feedback to fix issues they didn't foresee. This is true of every single "expert" pack. There are just too many changes and while they do test the main progression path. They can't account for how other players outside of their testers will play the pack and either find issues or loopholes that they didn't find in initial testing.

You are correct. I should have said "in their final form" or "across multiple patches".
With the significant amount of mods included and changes made it is not reasonable to assume everything works fine in the release version.
The two examples I mentioned were deemed acceptable and final though and not subject to change. That is a "flaw" in design and quality standards, not something to be fixed in the next patch or two.

YaNKee

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance that Woot can be added to this pack since it has a 1.12.2 version released?

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Thank you for the revelations pack! Its awesome, and I enjoy the fact that you added the lost cities mod, its the most interesting and unique way to start playing.

Last edited:

drkravenxin

Jul 29, 2019
The ones that are being vocal on here are the ones who like expert mode and have waited for three updates for the pack. Not the whole community. Sometimes you just have to do what is right by you and let the people wait to produce better content. Beside a quick lite pack no matter the type wouldn't be the expert pack they waited. As there is already Direwolf pack which is new out just released in fact so there is content for them to play.

Some of us that are being vocal on here for the expert pack are being vocal because it was over a year ago when the next Expert pack was being worked on for 1.10.2 which was then scrapped as development moved to 1.12. That is why many of us that are waiting on the Expert pack to happen are beginning to think it is nothing but vaporware. We are told it is being worked on, or as of now on hold. But we have seen no proof that it is being worked on. With Revelations you have a large number of YouTubers and Streamers broadcasting early versions and test builds, but so far I have seen nothing of the like for any of the announced Expert packs. Do I expect them to work during the holidays? Nope. Do I expect better communication from them? Yes.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Some of us that are being vocal on here for the expert pack are being vocal because it was over a year ago when the next Expert pack was being worked on for 1.10.2 which was then scrapped as development moved to 1.12. That is why many of us that are waiting on the Expert pack to happen are beginning to think it is nothing but vaporware. We are told it is being worked on, or as of now on hold. But we have seen no proof that it is being worked on. With Revelations you have a large number of YouTubers and Streamers broadcasting early versions and test builds, but so far I have seen nothing of the like for any of the announced Expert packs. Do I expect them to work during the holidays? Nope. Do I expect better communication from them? Yes.
Um you seem to to miss informed?? Although they did announced they were thinking about an expert mode type pack last dec they never actually start working on it until 2017. At which time it became clear to them that there was no way in with the new minecraft update to do an expert mode i the same pack because you couldn't change recipes like that anymore. The players would be forced to log out completely and relaunch so they toyed with the idea of making expert mode it own pack for ease on the players and development. That was in the town hall in March. Then in May 2017 they official announced that they were working on an Expert type pack and that it would be 1.11 version with what we find out later through question would be released after a new KS pack for 1.11. How ever forge pushed ever forward and minecraft release what seemed like the perfect version for expert mode. Then in June Forge release a policy change for 1.12 and moving forward. It was announced that they we moving expert development to 1.12 and it there would be some wait time as mods moved to 1.12. To help with this as usual they released unstable pack to help Mod Devs work on there mods and get data back from players. every thing that I have posted here is shown in the news reports or on the town hall transcript which the link is posted in the news. I am just wondering how much more communication it would take before people were happy. To me if they gave a release date and stuck to that everyone would shut up about it but that ain't never going to happen nor should they have to.

Separate Question: Why is the Quartz Grindstone recipe stupid? Can we make the gear required iron maybe?? Proven or scented gears...rofl!

2nd note: Small Block Presser will not work on some TE ores or silk touched ones. Namely from my testing silver & Platinum and a few others. Don't know if this is a Glitch, if the recipes need added to that mod for them, or if it is supposed to not work on all ores. Just FYI!

Last edited:

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
Every time i check for news, FTB team is making expert pack. Like there is not already huge number of packs that are all classified as expert pack. Did they run out of ideas?
I can't think of single FTB pack that i enjoyed since Jadedcat stop making packs.
What is with Mod of the month packs? Maybe they should rethink this again, but in different more simple way (make a kitchen sink pack, and every month add quests for different mods, they can go alphabetically)

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
I am just wondering how much more communication it would take before people were happy.

Since nothing they announced or hinted at ever came to fruition maybe saying less would have been more.
Infinity 2.0 (Expert) came out Oct 2015. It would seem that only talking about a sequel to, what many of us consider to be, the best FTB pack to date and not delivering in over 2 years is not enough to keep the users happy.

This guy's post sums it up quite nicely, I think.
Every time i check for news, FTB team is making expert pack.

He thinks all FTB is working on are Expert packs when in reality there has only ever been one and the constant "promise" of an upcoming one does not make the wait any better.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Since nothing they announced or hinted at ever came to fruition maybe saying less would have been more.
Infinity 2.0 (Expert) came out Oct 2015. It would seem that only talking about a sequel to, what many of us consider to be, the best FTB pack to date and not delivering in over 2 years is not enough to keep the users happy.

He thinks all FTB is working on are Expert packs when in reality there has only ever been one and the constant "promise" of an upcoming one does not make the wait any better.
As I have pointed out above it has only been just over a year not 2. And your point would hold water if they had promised multi hard modes. the one they have one "promising" as you say is the same pack they only moved it up versions.

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
As I have pointed out above it has only been just over a year not 2. And your point would hold water if they had promised multi hard modes. the one they have one "promising" as you say is the same pack they only moved it up versions.

IIrc v2.0 of FTB Infinity was labeled Evolved and had expert mode. That is listed as uploaded Oct 30 2015. That is considerably more than 2 years now.

They said they would do an expert mode for 1.10, were actively working on it in fact.
The mistake was made to assume moving it to 1.11 would be a minor delay. Why, after 1.11 fell through entirely and 1.12 naturally only had a handful of mods, they did not simply continue work on the 1.10 pack but just sat and waited for 1.12 is unclear.
I think it is only natural to wonder as Infinity Evolved is by far the most successful 1st party FTB pack ever only matched by Skyfactory 3 which was the only 1.10 FTB published pack that was not kitchen sink style. Clearly the desire from players to get more curated / out of the ordinary experiences is there.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
IIrc v2.0 of FTB Infinity was labeled Evolved and had expert mode. That is listed as uploaded Oct 30 2015. That is considerably more than 2 years now.

They said they would do an expert mode for 1.10, were actively working on it in fact.
The mistake was made to assume moving it to 1.11 would be a minor delay. Why, after 1.11 fell through entirely and 1.12 naturally only had a handful of mods, they did not simply continue work on the 1.10 pack but just sat and waited for 1.12 is unclear.
I think it is only natural to wonder as Infinity Evolved is by far the most successful 1st party FTB pack ever only matched by Skyfactory 3 which was the only 1.10 FTB published pack that was not kitchen sink style. Clearly the desire from players to get more curated / out of the ordinary experiences is there.
Your Statement above says:

Although the release date was then your talking about the next Export mode which as I posted wasn't announced but a year ago.They didn't "promise" when they released the first expert mode pack back then for a 2nd one. How can they not deliver in over 2 years something they only announced a year ago is beyond me.

mti_

Jul 29, 2019
Your Statement above says:

Although the release date was then your talking about the next Export mode which as I posted wasn't announced but a year ago.They didn't "promise" when they released the first expert mode pack back then for a 2nd one. How can they not deliver in over 2 years something they only announced a year ago is beyond me.

I am not sure if you are misunderstanding me.
We have not had a 1st party FTB expert mode in over 2 years. I can't say how long they have been talking about being actively at work on a new one but that is how long it has been since their most successful release to date.
I would honestly not mind if they simply got out the design docs on their 1.10 pack and just worked on that instead. If 1.12 isn't feature rich / mature enough yet to offer an enjoyable expert mode there is not much FTB can do about it.
AoE was great, there is definitely potential in 1.10 that is unexplored by FTB so far.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The confusion here is that we were never "promised" another 1st party expert pack when the 1st one came out. The one every one is mad about from a news post 2017. If there were people expecting a 2nd soon after the first that was wishful thinking.