Clipboard.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
upload_2015-7-8_18-33-27.png

because I need more RAM and wanted to be able to easily look the stuff up

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
say that to the school that learned me programming
Thank god they now at least skip small basic or whatever it was called

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
hehe...reminds me of "Ruby has bare words"
Welp, I did write a piece of software and one or two homepages a while ago in PHP without being aware of all the things that are wrong with it

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I feel sorry for you...you do php at work to...I'm so sorry...

PHP has bare words...BARE WORDS
meh, 2 days left, then hollyday and then back to school or college or whatever it is called(all the same thing really). Lets hope they finally do the other languages they promised to do since the beginning >_<

On the bright side they did teach a lot more then just programming, for example setting up networks with routers and switches that you would see in company's, using Linux, building your own pc and maintaining everything.
Sadly they now also removed that for some reason, it was the main reason I went for that as it was that the first year you get all of the above then you can choose which direction you want to go programming or whatever the rest falls under.

I choose programming of course but I can't say I didn't learn a lot from the rest, in fact without that I would have never taught about touching Linux and now I like it more then windows

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
hehe...reminds me of "Ruby has bare words"
Welp, I did write a piece of software and one or two homepages a while ago in PHP without being aware of all the things that are wrong with it
Only if you redefine method_missing, and that doesn't work in >1.9 :p
meh, 2 days left, then hollyday and then back to school or college or whatever it is called(all the same thing really). Lets hope they finally do the other languages they promised to do since the beginning >_<

On the bright side they did teach a lot more then just programming, for example setting up networks with routers and switches that you would see in company's, using Linux, building your own pc and maintaining everything.
Sadly they now also removed that for some reason, it was the main reason I went for that as it was that the first year you get all of the above then you can choose which direction you want to go programming or whatever the rest falls under.

I choose programming of course but I can't say I didn't learn a lot from the rest, in fact without that I would have never taught about touching Linux and now I like it more then windows
NICE!

What langs are they doing?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Only if you redefine method_missing, and that doesn't work in >1.9 :p

NICE!

What langs are they doing?

C# and maybe some others(We where also supposed to learn javascript and jquery but time got in the way so I learned it myself), but to be honest I don't have much hope, they replaced small basic or whatever it was with lua so thats a plus until you discover that they don't use lua for windows or something like that and instead some goofy thing with custom lua modules that only work on windows and they have a teacher who works with a mac {facepalm here}

edit: before someone goes and points out the obvious problems with lua for windows the teacher can just compile lua himself (at least I hope he knows how else I just want to shoot myself) and yes it has problems but it probably works a lot better then that goofy thing they use now

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
C# and maybe some others(We where also supposed to learn javascript and jquery but time got in the way so I learned it myself), but to be honest I don't have much hope, they replaced small basic or whatever it was with lua so thats a plus until you discover that they don't use lua for windows or something like that and instead some goofy thing with custom lua modules that only work on windows and they have a teacher who works with a mac {facepalm here}

edit: before someone goes and points out the obvious problems with lua for windows the teacher can just compile lua himself (at least I hope he knows how else I just want to shoot myself) and yes it has problems but it probably works a lot better then that goofy thing they use now
gg

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
they did end up giving said teacher a windows laptop and he was new and came in the same year as they made that switch so....maybe they just didn't think about it because of that?
I just hope that no one that was there as student uses a mac or uses GNU/Linux because well..... good luck >_>

although to be fair on Linux a simple apt-get install luarocks and you have everything you need(except the custom modules but they can probably be replaced with normal ones anyway and you now also have the tool to get said modules) and you don't have to care about explaining how to compile it. Not sure if there is an "easy" way out for mac's