Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yes, it does. Another of those things where you either have to guess it or see someone else doing it to find out, since it's not documented anywhere. Making Chromastone wand caps for thaumcraft takes about a full reservoir of Chroma, as well.

Also the coalescence lotus can pull from reservoirs, but apparently not other container types.
Have you tested it with Buildcraft tanks? I remember Reika mentioning that only his reservoirs and BC tanks work to collect low-pressure fluid from HP turbines because only they are internally considered to have open tops. Maybe the lotus does the same thing?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Have you tested it with Buildcraft tanks? I remember Reika mentioning that only his reservoirs and BC tanks work to collect low-pressure fluid from HP turbines because only they are internally considered to have open tops. Maybe the lotus does the same thing?
Largely, yes, but BC tanks do not work either. The flower avoids TileEntity checks, which are comparatively slow, meaning that normal instanceof interface checks cannot be done.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
All the new plants are found in the overworld. Also, Chromaticraft changes the End to generate infinitely, so there isn't just the island anymore.
Shows what I knew; I thought it was an infinite series of islands (some bridging needed), not a solid land.

I have to say, I really love all the tongue-in-cheek jabs at other mods in the Lexicon. Great way to add a bit of humour to ChC. :p
I agree. I happened to like the comment about torches, underground gas, and a coal vein enough that I asked Draco if something for that could be added to Harder Underground. (I'm assuming Reika was referring to Glenn's Gases, as that's the only other mod I know of that adds hazardous gases).

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Shows what I knew; I thought it was an infinite series of islands (some bridging needed), not a solid land.
It would be neat if ChC could do that as an alternative to the current generation, with, say, a dragon on each of them. It would probably require a load of ASM on both the world generator and the ender dragon to get it to behave, though.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Reactions: Reika

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Y'know, I find it pretty amazing that even this long after ChromatiCraft was initially released, we're still figuring things out. It's a puzzle box with many layers, and for all the work we've put in, there's mysteries yet unsolved. I bet Reika gets a little giddy whenever someone figures out something new and we get excited over this new secret. Sure, there are folks who will simply use this as an excuse to say 'That just means it has poor documentation, noobs!' and to that, I can only reiterate that such people do not and will not ever get the point of the mod, which brings me to my next point.

I like to associate particular words with specific mods. Magic = Thaumcraft. Technology = Thermal Expansion. So on and so forth. So what about ChromatiCraft, you might ask? Exploration. Possibly a bit weird, but everything about the mod to me screams of experimentation, exploration, and some other third ex- word I haven't yet thought of in this stream of consciousness post/sentence.

Anyway, thanks again for this puzzle, Reika. It's been a fun ride figuring it out, and even if we don't all necessarily like every bit of the mod, I think it's safe to say that we wouldn't still be here talking about it if we didn't care and want to see it improve as much as it can!

Reactions: Reika

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
All the new plants are found in the overworld. Also, Chromaticraft changes the End to generate infinitely, so there isn't just the island anymore.

A fact that caused the Enderdragon fight to be very painful, considering how Ender Crystals also generate infinitely and the dragon enjoys flying *just* out of range of the Render Distance. :p

Schadrach

Jul 29, 2019
I find it odd that heat lamps cannot heat/cool some Rotarycraft blocks that require temperatures in ranges that the heat lamp can reach. For example, a steam engine cannot be run using a heat lamp.

I like to associate particular words with specific mods. Magic = Thaumcraft. Technology = Thermal Expansion. So on and so forth. So what about ChromatiCraft, you might ask? Exploration. Possibly a bit weird, but everything about the mod to me screams of experimentation, exploration, and some other third ex- word I haven't yet thought of in this stream of consciousness post/sentence.

Speaking of experimentation, anyone found any other coalescence lotus recipes? I've only come up with water+lava = cobble and chroma+lava = crystalline stone. I don't have a spare reservoir of every liquid in ChC, RC, and every mod that either interacts with to test every possible combination though.

Or any other aura locus functions, for that matter?

U

UNG_God

Speaking of experimentation, anyone found any other coalescence lotus recipes?
idk, since it is kind of cobble gen, it just miss the obsidian and smooth stone recipe.

Or any other aura locus functions, for that matter?
I did not play anymore, and i dont have a clue at what to look, i tried something but it did not made any difernce , i dont have the minimun knowledge to even try something, just using the monument as an example, it never crossed my mind that lumen had an oposite color, i just asumed it was round because linear would be dificult to shown. Other things like turrets can be upgraded , said reikas, but the book never actualy hint the possibility, or turbocharge a repeater, just confuses me more; i did understand some stuff from the mod, but at core i am still a noob.

Schadrach

Jul 29, 2019
They cannot be attached to nonsolid blocks.

Along those lines, might I suggest an upgraded form for the heat lamp (recipe of say, the heat lamp and some appropriate color lumens in the casting table) that is a full block and gets treated as heating/cooling towards the set temperature to surrounding things s though it were fire/lava/whatever?. Depending on cost, you might also increase it's temperature range.

idk, since it is kind of cobble gen, it just miss the obsidian and smooth stone recipe.

I think treating it as a "cobble gen" is probably the wrong view, especially given that it can do crystalline stone the way it can.

I wonder if there are some uses for it that require outside the box thinking. I was actually disappointed that I couldn't make it do boosted shards or alloys -- it'd actually make automating boosted shards pretty simple, doubly so if it could pull from some kind of item container.

Also surprised I hadn't found any working combos involving molten potion crystals or liquid ender yet.

or turbocharge a repeater, just confuses me more; i did understand some stuff from the mod, but at core i am still a noob.

I've heard (but haven't tried yet) that to turbocharge repeaters, you just put the repeater in the casting table but that it's locked until you have turbocharged a pylon. No clue if that's accurate or not though. Going to try tonight, now that I've upgraded my private server pack to v11b, as well as getting Automagy, Agricraft, and Project Red up to date.

U

UNG_God

especially given that it can do crystalline stone the way it can
on the crystaline stone, it actualy swap what the recipe uses, you can automate and make infinite crystaline via the lotus, because you change from using stone+shard to XP+nothing, and reikas already have an infinite xp farm with RoC

if that's accurate or not though.
yes it is, but it is never hinted anywhere that "you should try to add more lumen" .

A mistery with some clues or hints are fun to play, but no clue or hint that something exist, is simply not a game; crystal skulls irl.

Schadrach

Jul 29, 2019
I just had a naughty thought after you mentioned the XP farm.

I think I'm going to test it in creative tonight. Going to build a typical openblocks/extrautils mob farm room with fans, spikes, and a vacuum hopper. Instead of cursed earth, put two dynamism tablets inside, both facing the same block. One will right click the spawner it's holding, the other will left click with a bedrock pick. Transfer node with a filter to pump the spawner back into the dynamism tablet.

I do something similar to process thaumcraft infused stone, except with an efficiency/fortune/corrupting essence infused pick.
The question is if a fake player breaking a spawner with a bedrock pick still summons the crowd of mobs, because if so I think that's my new favorite way to grind a given thing in massive numbers...

The real question is if there's any kind of spawner for Thaumcraft outer lands bosses that will play nice...I'm in need of some primal pearls, I keep breaking them, draining them etc and just keeping a barrel full would be much simpler than bothering with the various infusions to fix/remake/recharge them...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Is there some reason DragonAPI insists on downloading remote assets every time instead of checking for a new version? Or do I need that update? (Playing Modular Mayhem.)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is there some reason DragonAPI insists on downloading remote assets every time instead of checking for a new version? Or do I need that update? (Playing Modular Mayhem.)
It should only download files whose local hashes do not match the online versions. And it works for most, myself included.

I just had a naughty thought after you mentioned the XP farm.

I think I'm going to test it in creative tonight. Going to build a typical openblocks/extrautils mob farm room with fans, spikes, and a vacuum hopper. Instead of cursed earth, put two dynamism tablets inside, both facing the same block. One will right click the spawner it's holding, the other will left click with a bedrock pick. Transfer node with a filter to pump the spawner back into the dynamism tablet.

I do something similar to process thaumcraft infused stone, except with an efficiency/fortune/corrupting essence infused pick.
The question is if a fake player breaking a spawner with a bedrock pick still summons the crowd of mobs, because if so I think that's my new favorite way to grind a given thing in massive numbers...

The real question is if there's any kind of spawner for Thaumcraft outer lands bosses that will play nice...I'm in need of some primal pearls, I keep breaking them, draining them etc and just keeping a barrel full would be much simpler than bothering with the various infusions to fix/remake/recharge them...
That is an exploit, and if it works, I am going to break it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... Did it twice, but not the third time. Maybe a connection problem caused a bad download. I'll watch and see if it does it again.

Schadrach

Jul 29, 2019
That is an exploit, and if it works, I am going to break it.

The using a fake player with a bedrock pick, a spawner, and some method of placing blocks to bulk spawn mobs, or setting a spawner to an Outer Lands boss thing?

Didn't get around to trying either last night, won't have another chance until Sunday night (spending weekend with gf).

I do know that Outer Lands bosses show up on the list of options for the spawner controller, but I hadn't tried that yet either, as my only means of harvesting a spawner on survival was through EC3, and EC3 apparently doesn't give you vanilla spawners when you use the Spawner Collector it gives you some other thing that appears to be a spawner if you aren't paying attention and creates a vanilla spawner of the appropriate type if you place it, but is not actually a vanilla spawner item (different id).