[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. An update to this is that mobs *are* spawning for me, just not in the Sacred Springs. I went on an outing and I had monsters spawning, not as much as I think they ought to, but still spawning. So that's something?

/me goes and grumbles in a corner

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. An update to this is that mobs *are* spawning for me, just not in the Sacred Springs. I went on an outing and I had monsters spawning, not as much as I think they ought to, but still spawning. So that's something?

/me goes and grumbles in a corner
Is the biome called Sacred Springs? Because that would be pretty good indication that monsters shouldn't spawn there.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Is the biome called Sacred Springs? Because that would be pretty good indication that monsters shouldn't spawn there.
Nope, I definitely had mobs spawning ALL over me when I started building in this area. Heck, there's even more area for them to spawn now on the surface since I cleared off a massive portion of leaves. Something does seem off though.

I did use OPIS to track down a Better Dungeons dungeon that was buried between my house and the farm that I'm building. I did break the depth rule, but I cleared it out with my own two hands. I also didn't loot the place; I'm waiting until I'm allowed down that deep. I cleared it because I thought it may be interfering with normal mob spawning rules (it wasn't).

Then I noticed something unsettling. The only hostile mob naturally spawning are hecates, which I specifically set to "0" spawn in the AM2 config. And they weren't moving, like they had no AI at all. I set them to "1" in the configs and it didn't fix anything. I haven't had a chance to test in a new world if mob spawning is working properly now, but I seriously hope it isn't AM2 FUBARing things up, as it is to play an important role in this RtR challenge...

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
So I just did a test world. Mobs spawn fine. Up until the moment I spawned in a Custom NPC. And then the spawn rate dropped. So I removed it from the pack and made another test world. Mobs spawn fine. Now I load up my RtR map. No mobs spawn at night.

FML. This is really bothering me. It's almost making me not want to do my challenge after how much effort I've put into just clearing terrain to do this in the biome I wanted.

VaultTec_CEO

Jul 29, 2019
Started this over the weekend, just about finished with the Dirt Hovel stage, on normal difficulty (30 something points so far). Not really much to show but I'll post more images as things get progressively more interesting!

I'm not sure about any Cubeiasm deities, added challenges or other self imposed rules yet. However, I think I'll try the Merdorfs as my own race. The waypoint titled logger outlier will most likely be my first settlement/capital city. The only issue is the best spot on that whole continent (in the middle of a huge ocean biome) is set between two taint chunks, and now I'm noticing an eerie biome by that circular lake in the seasonal forest. I'll probably have to start Thaumcraft early or scour my biomes for a Silver wood sapling.

http://imgur.com/a/Zw3wo

Mikethehobo

Jul 29, 2019
Nice! Love your progress so far.
I would have posted my stuff, but I'm having some trouble with configs and adding mods to Monster. oh well.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Started this over the weekend, just about finished with the Dirt Hovel stage, on normal difficulty (30 something points so far). Not really much to show but I'll post more images as things get progressively more interesting!

I'm not sure about any Cubeiasm deities, added challenges or other self imposed rules yet. However, I think I'll try the Merdorfs as my own race. The waypoint titled logger outlier will most likely be my first settlement/capital city. The only issue is the best spot on that whole continent (in the middle of a huge ocean biome) is set between two taint chunks, and now I'm noticing an eerie biome by that circular lake in the seasonal forest. I'll probably have to start Thaumcraft early or scour my biomes for a Silver wood sapling.

http://imgur.com/a/Zw3wo
Ouch. Two separate taint areas on the continent? That's just rough. Looks like a good start nevertheless. I look forward to seeing your kingdom evolve.

Hopefully I'll be doing an update on my RtR soon. I regained motivation due to BGC's 'The Glory Days' being released. I can just keep on going when listening to that.

Mikethehobo

Jul 29, 2019
Ouch. Two separate taint areas on the continent? That's just rough. Looks like a good start nevertheless. I look forward to seeing your kingdom evolve.

Hopefully I'll be doing an update on my RtR soon. I regained motivation due to BGC's 'The Glory Days' being released. I can just keep on going when listening to that.
Right on man, your previous posts we're killer.
Now I have to get off my lazy ass and learn some basics of mod management.

VaultTec_CEO

Jul 29, 2019
A hungry node just swallowed me up while exploring, lost a few stacks of wood along with my backpacks and their contents :(

I'm just relieved I lost items dying while I'm just beginning, rather than later on. I don't suppose I can ever get my things back, can I?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
You'll eventually be able to break the node and get a few wispy essences with the same aspects as what got eaten. Very much a consolation prize, but better than nothing (though not by much).

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
The only issue is the best spot on that whole continent (in the middle of a huge ocean biome) is set between two taint chunks, and now I'm noticing an eerie biome by that circular lake in the seasonal forest. I'll probably have to start Thaumcraft early or scour my biomes for a Silver wood sapling.

While silverwood and etherial blooms are the only true ways to get rid of taint, as of 4.0.5b you can prevent it's spread through a bit of hard work... unless you really enjoy the squishy sound of destroying taint. (I prefer to use a bucket to drop water on it).

I ran an experiment regarding taint a couple days ago. Video evidence and then Thaumtower building in my Refugee to Regent world:

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki might be a bit more readable if required objectives were in bold, and optional ones preceeded by a symbol (could vary by difficulty) (unicode has a great selection, such as ☆ ★, ▷ ▶, ♙ ♖ ♔)

Mikethehobo

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki might be a bit more readable if required objectives were in bold, and optional ones preceeded by a symbol (could vary by difficulty) (unicode has a great selection, such as ☆ ★, ▷ ▶, ♙ ♖ ♔)
While I agree, I think that most of the requirements are left up to the challenger.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If the "Opitional" ones were labeled? You don't seem to grasp how this challenge works. Here's a hint: They are all optional. Unless you want to do hardcore mode and get all the points, in which case, that's your choice to do all of them. What you do in it is totally your choice. The scoring system is optional, for crying out loud!
Everything can be skipped, but if you want to do the challenge a certain way, you can.

Now, a more serious question here guys. Mostly aimed at @Maul_Junior due to it being a mechanic ruling that I want to be clear on, but I'm using GregTech, and GregTech has a very unique thing in it; steam powered machines. Many machines have a steam powered variant, and I was curious if one would be allowed to use steam power a tier earlier then redstone discovery since it's much less advanced then generic GT things. I honestly plan on using Engineer's Tool Box and it's Modular Sockets for most tech based things, but thought I should check and clarify if using steam powered GT Machines would be fine at Iron Village since it's lower tech. I would still have to find(and mine) the copper and tin to make the thousands of bronze ingots for those things, but still, it's a question on my mind. I plan on mixing Dwaven Home Defense style, and my earlier choices on Sergal's, but ideally with a village near a Hotspring, and a desert(or similar).

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
If the "Opitional" ones were labeled? You don't seem to grasp how this challenge works. Here's a hint: They are all optional. Unless you want to do hardcore mode and get all the points, in which case, that's your choice to do all of them. What you do in it is totally your choice. The scoring system is optional, for crying out loud!
Everything can be skipped, but if you want to do the challenge a certain way, you can.
I mean, the actual advancement requirements compared to the optional additional challenges, at least on the wiki pages.

I guess it might just be the Dirt Hovel stage. Wood Settlement actually separates the requirements from the bonuses; Stone Hamlet, Iron Village, and Redstone Discovery more clearly mark things with [Challenge], and have them sparsely enough that it's fairly easy to distinguish them from the rest of the requirements.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, the actual advancement requirements compared to the optional additional challenges, at least on the wiki pages.

I guess it might just be the Dirt Hovel stage. Wood Settlement actually separates the requirements from the bonuses; Stone Hamlet, Iron Village, and Redstone Discovery more clearly mark things with [Challenge], and have them sparsely enough that it's fairly easy to distinguish them from the rest of the requirements.
Dirt Hovel hasn't been really updated for a long time. Basically, it's the oldest in my eyes. It was the only one with the scoring system fully done. Other pages have some tidbits of the scoring system, but really, it's about getting a house built and some food. Aim for about half of the score avalible in dirt hovel and you're on the right track. But most of all, build a house, make it safe(ish), get some food going.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it's the other way around. There have been recent updates on the stages after Dirt Hovel, but the total amount of work on Dirt Hovel is higher, as well as frequency of updates, and amount of mechanical refinement.

It tends to be (from what I have seen) the testing ground for all the mechanics, and the focus while Maul_Junior makes them work as envisioned. He then intends to spread that out through the various stages... and then a new mechanic idea comes along.

That's one of the reasons I'm VERY glad he's modularized it on a wiki. It allows him to work on a mechanic and then VERY rapidly implement it on all the various stages.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it's the other way around. There have been recent updates on the stages after Dirt Hovel, but the total amount of work on Dirt Hovel is higher, as well as frequency of updates, and amount of mechanical refinement.

It tends to be (from what I have seen) the testing ground for all the mechanics, and the focus while Maul_Junior makes them work as envisioned. He then intends to spread that out through the various stages... and then a new mechanic idea comes along.

That's one of the reasons I'm VERY glad he's modularized it on a wiki. It allows him to work on a mechanic and then VERY rapidly implement it on all the various stages.
It is true that Dirt Hovel is the most worked on, but that being said, the point system shown in it was phased out shortly after it was first written(IIRC). It's had TONS of updates, yes, but it is the oldest(and kind of outdated) since it's not been cleaned of unused bits. At least in my books, anyway.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't that they're unused, it's that they haven't been implemented elsewhere yet (at least from what I read out of Maul_Junior's posts).

Being only one person, and having Real Life intrude so rudely, makes something as expansive as this challenge a bit of a bear to work on, especially if you keep piling new mechanics on your plate (an eternal problem for content creators: too many ideas).

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
So. With the exception of needing to do a bit more work on my community center, I'm done with Wood Settlement. (I honestly don't want to build it until I can use stone, but meh). THANK GOD.

I just have to write up more than a week of advancement, and with the removal of Custom NPCs, I'm back to my wooden villagers. Yeah. I'm too tired for this tonight. Just giving y'all a heads up I'm not done with this yet.