[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question for any one reading. I'm trying the hardcore version of this. I'm very early in the wood age, hovel stage took me forever, having 9 types of trees near me and so much clay...

Wood age says to build a well, is there a way to move water in the age that I can't figure out? Or should I be building my well over some water? Right now I have a 3x3x12 block hole in my town centre(or what will be my town centre).

Having lots of fun with this so far and will be watching Vaal's and Mobius's play throughs soon. Working my way through Mobius's older stuff atm. Hope to see Maul back here as well, he did some great work on this and would hate to see it left behind.

Been playing with FTB Ultimate, but I think I'll play around with the launcher and see if I can't figure out how to get all the mods from the wiki in a custom pack and try to move my save game or probably start over.

I use forestry's wooden bucket crafted with 3 birch wood for that

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Having lots of fun with this so far and will be watching Vaal's and Mobius's play throughs soon. Working my way through Mobius's older stuff atm. Hope to see Maul back here as well, he did some great work on this and would hate to see it left behind.

Been playing with FTB Ultimate, but I think I'll play around with the launcher and see if I can't figure out how to get all the mods from the wiki in a custom pack and try to move my save game or probably start over.

Thanks for watching Toadswart! I hope you're enjoying the videos, sadly I'm behind on posting the links.

If you're up for some experimenting you can try using MCEdit to cut your existing village out of the map and plopping it down on a new one. It may get funky and need some back-filling. Some blocks may get lost because of missing mods. Also you may end up in a completely different biome. But if you're up for a change, some hard work (you are playing hardcore afterall), and a little adventure this approach may be right up your alley.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I couldn't find any other buckets so I loaded the Diamond Buckets+ mod and turned off a lot of the goofier buckets in the config file. So I can make the wooden bucket with like 30 seconds of carrying ability before it breaks. Seemed like a not-horrible trade off to having a pre-iron bucket.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
i don't know if any of you other guys do this, but I also tried with pretty good success using "Custom NPCs" mod to fill my houses with static villagers as I made them. I don't set the villagers to do anything other than wander around their "home" and panic if they see monsters, but it lets me add a little flavor and visualization to the whole Refugee to Reagent thing. Once I get to the point of making and arming a militia, I could see giving the "armed NPCs" guard roles at the watchtowers or sentry points.

At least it's a little more flavorful for me than having unoccupied houses or trying to get vanilla villagers to act more intelligently. :)

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
That custom NPC mod sounds awesome, I have a village but will have to minecart them around to different areas eventually =P

Here's my latest episode of my custom version of this challenge!

Reactions: Senseidragon

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
I did a restart for 1.5.2 (just started last week) and added CustomNPCs mod. Just finished Woodcore mode (-community square challenge)

Just Curious, is this challenge being updated still? If so, OP need help?

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I think it still has potential, but really needs to be finished out. Kinda sucks that the OP dropped out of sight, but such things happen.

I'm still tweaking the mix of mods I think feel right for this sort of challenge. Some I like at the start but then seem overpowered or downright annoying as I continue, so it is a round and round process of adding and removing until everything feels right.

For me, and this certainly won't fit for everyone, but I've pulled out all the magic mods. Not that they're necessarily bad, but a lot of the stuff ends up being chest loot sometimes and some of the loot makes the rest of the game pointlessly easy. The Portal Gun is another example of a mod (item) that is cool if you actually have to go through the steps of making it, but if you find one in a chest somewhere, particularly early-game... well, it's not so challenging after that.

I know I can probably fiddle with configs to tweak out some stuff, but then that just makes it harder for people who'd like to try the same setup to do so. I'd rather be able to just point to a pack and say "Load that and play!"

On an unrelated note, I keep going back and forth with the Shader mod as well. It can make things look really nice, but can also be frustratingly buggy. Kudos to Vaal for getting that beast to work. I've gotten it to work with 1.5.2, but not without dropping back to an older version of Optifine, which has it's own fun set of issues playing well with others.

I really look forward to hearing from others on their progress, if not their own trials and tribulations with this challenge.

Edit: I re-watched VaalDeth's latest video and realized he might not actually be on 1.5.2 yet. I'm still trying to work out a stable replacement for RedPower 2 myself but haven't been overly thrilled with my tests so far. RedLogic looks like it might be promising.

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
I think it still has potential, but really needs to be finished out. Kinda sucks that the OP dropped out of sight, but such things happen.

I'm still tweaking the mix of mods I think feel right for this sort of challenge. Some I like at the start but then seem overpowered or downright annoying as I continue, so it is a round and round process of adding and removing until everything feels right.

For me, and this certainly won't fit for everyone, but I've pulled out all the magic mods. Not that they're necessarily bad, but a lot of the stuff ends up being chest loot sometimes and some of the loot makes the rest of the game pointlessly easy. The Portal Gun is another example of a mod (item) that is cool if you actually have to go through the steps of making it, but if you find one in a chest somewhere, particularly early-game... well, it's not so challenging after that.

I know I can probably fiddle with configs to tweak out some stuff, but then that just makes it harder for people who'd like to try the same setup to do so. I'd rather be able to just point to a pack and say "Load that and play!"

On an unrelated note, I keep going back and forth with the Shader mod as well. It can make things look really nice, but can also be frustratingly buggy. Kudos to Vaal for getting that beast to work. I've gotten it to work with 1.5.2, but not without dropping back to an older version of Optifine, which has it's own fun set of issues playing well with others.

I really look forward to hearing from others on their progress, if not their own trials and tribulations with this challenge.

Edit: I re-watched VaalDeth's latest video and realized he might not actually be on 1.5.2 yet. I'm still trying to work out a stable replacement for RedPower 2 myself but haven't been overly thrilled with my tests so far. RedLogic looks like it might be promising.

I'm pretty sure vaal is on 1.4.7 still. I tried getting shaders to work myself for 1.5.2 but it wouldnt work, then i added a mod that is just incompatible with optifine. I just started hardcore stone hamlet stage today. I think that if OP doesn't update the wiki before I move to the unfinished stages, I may write my own set of requirements that just kinda add on to what he already has. I really like the challenges that he has set.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure vaal is on 1.4.7 still. I tried getting shaders to work myself for 1.5.2 but it wouldnt work, then i added a mod that is just incompatible with optifine. I just started hardcore stone hamlet stage today. I think that if OP doesn't update the wiki before I move to the unfinished stages, I may write my own set of requirements that just kinda add on to what he already has. I really like the challenges that he has set.

Hey guys! Yes this is true I am still on 1.4.7 with the Ultimate pack due to not being able to migrate because of Redpower. I have a tutorial showing how to setup the shaders with it, and as Sensei mentioned it IS possible to work with 1.5.2, but requires an older version of Optifine, which can screw up compatibility with other mods... So really you can do 1.5.2 with shaders but would need to be vanilla to avoid issues...

Personally I do really want to upgrade and use the new mods in Unleashed and everything, but I'm too far in to restart and I kind of like the idea that my world is stable and wont be mucked with. =)

Glad you are all enjoying my series, I'm intentionally not playing it like crazy so I do not get burned out on it, I mean I am also doing a SMP vanilla series :p

... and STARMADE, if you guys like spaceships and Minecraft OMG check out my videos on that game...

Heres a link to the first ep:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Personally I do really want to upgrade and use the new mods in Unleashed and everything, but I'm too far in to restart and I kind of like the idea that my world is stable and wont be mucked with. =)

I'm sort of dreading/anticipating 1.6 mod packs for similar reasons. At this point I am considering using MC Edit to cut out all my buildings and local area and drop them onto any new world if a restart is needed. If I were to restart the challenge I'd do hard-core but as a once a week episode as opposed to my main and only (for now) series.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys. I'm back. IRL has been....well.......hectic. Let's just say that over a 2-month period I had 2 separate nervous breakdowns that ended up with me missing weeks of work (oh, and my laptop's screen fried--new laptop woo). But I've turned my life in another direction, and life should be a bit easier. For the next year or two as I live in the dorms again.

Back in school (whoo!), living in the dorms (no more needing to worry about rent money! Just about.....paying it back later :eek: ), and I should be able to devote time to this again.

Going to be making a few changes, mainly by pruning a few mods that don't really fit. Like, say, Sorcery--it looked nice as one of the *few* Magic mods around, but now that I look at it it's kind of meh. Probably also going to not be adding more Ars Magica stuff, because it really pollutes the overworld/dungeon chests with its stuff. Magical Crops because of the sheer amount of seeds that drop that all look the same and don't *really* add much if you don't do potions.

Actually, Probably gonna start again at a DW20 1.5.2/FTB Unleashed mod pack.

That said, I will not be removing descriptions, etc for AM/Sorcery/Magical Crops/etc from what I have already written. Just probably won't add in new stuff. After I finish *crosses fingers* the challenge, I may go back and re-add descriptions for Ars Magica, etc. Maybe add a note recommending that you not have certain mods (Portal Gun/Grav Gun/Ars Magica come to mind) installed until you reach a certain point.....so the dungeon chests apply to you more (but the note would also read to make sure the configs would work for mods you're removing temporarily, so that there aren't giant conflicts when you re-add the mods).

Why? Because even if it's *just* a DW20 pack, at this point there is so damn *much* going on from Redstone+ that it will be a giant balancing act to get it right. But I am back to work.

Oh, and Toadswart, thanks for the heads up about the bucket. Missed that completely.

And as to the CustomNPCs mod--I mentioned it in a private convo with a couple people, but I cannot BELIEVE I forgot to put it in the main thread. Senseidragon, thanks for bringing that up. Adding that to my FTB Unleashed as soon as I post. Been a while since I've done Minecraft, but I'm working on it. Give me a little time to get back into gear. Can't promise super-fast updates, because, well, balancing is an Ender Dragon with all these mods.

I will attempt to get Agriculture/Fortification rules for Redstone for Normal/Hardcore within a week though.

Malkara

Jul 29, 2019
Awesomecool news man! Let's just say I'm glad you got your life figured out for the moment, can't wait for you to complete this challenge, been waiting a while just in case you might reappear and here you are! Now me and my mate can start playing this, can't think of a better way to introduce him to FTB than to give the both of us some architectural goals at the same time! :)

Hope you finish college too! :)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, man. I look forward to seeing what gets done.

BTW, looking at the Custom NPCs mod again, I found this page.

http://www.kodevelopment.nl/minecraft/customnpcs/roles/

The Banker/Transporter look interesting. Probably a bit cheap if you're playing with TC3 (Golems do the same thing as transporters), but the Banker.....could be used for a few different things.

http://www.kodevelopment.nl/minecraft/customnpcs/jobs

Healer for hospitals....hmm....

EDIT:

so.....new page.

http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Fortifications

So I can just say "Hire # Reservists, Regulars, Watchmen" without having to spell out what they should be equipped with EVERY SINGLE TIME.

That said, Stage-specific instructions do override whatever it says on there. Say, if you're still in the Hamlet stage, you obviously don't have access to Force Fields, Obsidian Walls, or Iron+ weaponry.

http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Community Buildings

got some love with the Agriculture and Fortifications sections.

Just a quick note--did some math--if you chose to get max # of people, by the new numbers, you should have 8 farm(er)s in Ironcore.

Since I put a general rule of thumb being 60-100 blocks of farmland/farmhouse, and 15 blocks of food/population (including militia, etc), should be about 780, with another 20/player.

Woodcore: 3-7
Stonecore: Add 6-10
Ironcore: Add 10-15
Ironcore Militia Challenge: 15+2 Leftenants +1 Commandant
Ironcore Maid/Gardener (per Player Home)

This does not include, I suppose, Watchmen. or the Guild Leaders.

.....or Livestock.

Pigs/Cows need 120 Wheat (minimum) this stage
Sheep need 60 Carrot plants
I'mma rule that the seeds for Chickens don't need to be *unique* plants. As long as you have 3 Seeds/Chicken squirrled away somewhere specifically FOR the Chickens, you're good.

Keep in mind you can outsource your food production to an Outlier.

Again, rule of cool still applies. And the number is very rough and I'm probably underestimating how many blocks 100 blocks of farmland actually is. The Rule of Thumb for Farms/Plantations/Ranches can and probably will change. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

Of course, this can be somewhat offset by Ranches, Orchards, etc.

And after watching Mobius' starting video, er, episode 3, and making a realization, Red Mushrooms are now an approved Hovel option (as long as there's no air between the mushroom and the ground). :D