[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
14 Pages, woo! \o/

Oh, and Stables will be for horses, Kennels for Dogs/cats, I decided.

Yeah, they only spawn with vanilla stone around. I think Underground Biomes prevents (prevented) the vanilla stone spawn or made it extremely rare.

Dendriculture interesting. I'd have thought of using Arboriculture myself. Arborietum Arborist etc are terms for tree cultivation I'm familiar with, or at least the care of trees which I think would include the genetics in this case.

Hmmm... that gives me an idea for an episode... gotta go collect some wood.

....../headdesk

that's what I get for forgetting what tree studies is called, googling, and going with the first thing I find.

Yeah, Arboriculture.

placeholder21, as far as the "mods intended to be used by this challenge" page goes, that's basically going right out the window. I set that up when I had the idea of doing a server for this with other people with a standardised custom mod pack that had more magic in it.

Pretty sure I spent a good 40 hours on config files. :mad:

At the moment, the mods that I recommend are:

Bibliocraft. It can store pretty much anything, and I'm getting in-game rulebooks written up. Speaking of....

Here's the Link to a folder in my Dropbox. When I write new books, they will go in there. At the moment I have all three difficulties up through the Wood stage, and I think one book in the Stone Hamlet stage. Or maybe I'm just starting it. don't remember. Look at Bibliocraft, and use the instructions to get the books physicaly digitally into your game.

Books are stored in a folder in the config file called "books". Yes, lower-cased b.

Industrial Craft 2. Mainly because of scaffolding. Because oh my stars and garters--have you TRIED scaffolding? It's like the greatest thing EVER! Take out the bottom piece of scaffolding, and all of them tumble down, like-like--Treecapitator. Plus they function as LADDERS.

Tinker's Construct. Because awesome tools, fun way to double more ores. It has great early game tools (FRYING PAN! also double as a furnace in the Wooden stage), and late-game tools, like the lumber axe--cuts down entire trees--legitimately. no Treecapitator for me. Not since like 1.2 anyways.

Factorization. Mainly because it has an early-game method of storing lots of individual types of items with a visual display. Barrels are awesome. Also because you can TRIPLE the amount of ingots you get. Each batch takes 20 minutes or so, and requires steam. Haven't ever done this.

Applied Energistics--I love me easy storage, and with AE you can easily pull anything out of the network. Plus you can make anything else part of the network (chests, barrels, deep storage units) pretty easily. And, of course, the early-game no-power ingot-doubling grindstone (but it can be mind-numbing to click that many times. Geeze).

MineFactory Reloaded--too much to list--its plastic machines are awesome, though they do ugly up world gen 1.5+

Dimensional Doors

Forestry--Trees, Bees, Butterflies...... The trees alone add so much variety to builds

Extra Bees/Trees---more bees and trees. Just......so....many.....more......

Biomes O Plenty--IMO better than ExtraBiomesXL. They're just so varied. Plus? Healing Water in Hot Springs. Changes all kinds of surface biomes.

Underground Biomes--changes from one kind of stone to I think 27, and adds a new kind of (crappy) Coal. Nine Lignite=1 Coal.

Railcraft, Steve's Carts 2--awesome Minecarts

Dartcraft--haven't played it yet but it looks awesome.

Nuclear Control--frickin' viewscreens for all kinds of stuff (btw this is the one thing that had an id conflict in my 1.6 pack, but it was an easy fix).

Buildcraft 4.0--Power pipes are fixed, pipe plugs so you can block off pipes you don't want connecting....the ability to pump liquids from tanks/pipes into the world.....Plus I think they added Oil Field Biomes--Ocean/Deserts with OMG amounts of oil.

Ender Chest--Obviously--so many storage types.

BTW, if you're going to mess with configs, learn about NEI and its ability to dump IDs--it will let you know what IDs are free that you can use if there's a conflict

But seriously--just grab Unleashed or Vanilla and start building. There are some awesome mods out there if you want to use them though. About the only mod I'd want to add to Unleashed is Underground Biomes. Though there's some I'd want to take out.......fricking ComputerCraft. I don't want to learn to program! I know how useful you are, but.....no.

just no.

Not just yet.

Btw if you use Ars Magica be warned--it will place its world gen buildings like every 1-200 blocks sometimes. And it has the same problems with the Nexuses that EE2 had with the Condensers IMO--too easy to abuse to get unlimited resources. I like working for my resources. But that's just me. If I wanted Creative (and I don't) I'd play Creative mode.

Oh. and personally I'd dump the MFFS they have in there. Go for the Universal Electricity MFFS. Just check it out. It has FRAME functionality (sort of).

I want to make rules for frame/UE MFFS ships. Namely, build some if you have the mods available. Thing is, Minecraft boats would have to have a flat keel, otherwise they'd seriously screw up water as they pass through it. Same reason functioning Submarines wouldn't work too well--Minecraft liquid mechanics.

But yeah. Once I get there, I'm DEFINITELY making some flat-keeled, working UE MFFS ships. I might do a prototype or two in Creative even before.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Maul just a suggestion, I think it would be a great idea to make a R2R pack on the ATLauncher as you can add all mods without needing to ask for permissions as the launcher downloads the mods for the players differently, its too complicated to explain however you should still check it out.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, not going to make an R2R pack.

First off--don't have time for config files anymore. Nor the patience.

Secondly: Many, many mods say "This mod may not be used in public mod packs except by X". I'm not going to be going against their wishes.

Granted, in the past, I sort of got around this by saying "These are mods I enjoy. A, B, X, Y, Z, etc. Find, Download, Install them yourself, and you can use my configs". But that's a grey area. And only for 4-5 people. Finding, Compiling, and releasing to the public a mod pack? Nah, I'll stick to typing.

Besides, the point of this challenge is that you can do this with ANYTHING. Vanilla? Go for it. Not as many features, but still 100% doable. Mo' Creatures? Have fun Ranchers! Unleashed? ...........so many mods to look at. But yeah, it's possible.

Personally, if someone were just coming in and wanting to do Vanilla, I'd recommend Vanilla+Bibliocraft. At least Biblio temporarily, so you can get the in-game rulebooks added to your game. Then remove Bibliocraft, and enjoy Vanilla w/in-game Rulebooks.

Of course, the top rules in my eyes are:

1) The Rules are more of a Creative Guideline to get your creative juices flowing
2) the Rule of Cool--if you think it would be more fun to violate a rule, do it if it's cool. Not if it's in the "I'm too lazy, this is to hard, etc" vein.

I had a 3rd one like 10 minutes ago. Can't remember it for the life of me.

R2R pack on the ATLauncher as you can add all mods without needing to ask for permissions as the launcher downloads the mods for the players differently

I'd argue that this is still a violation of the mod maker's intent. But I do concede that it is a gray area. a very gray area. But if I did a dedicated R2R pack on ATLauncher, it would STILL be a public mod pack. But that's just my opinion.

Another Challenge I want to make

The Dwarf Fortress Challenge. Basicaly it would be a variation of this, except underground, based heavily off of Dwarf Fortress. You would be attempting to create a new Mountainhome. MAybe include some Masterwork stuff. dunno.

Transportation

Yes, I have a massive hardon for Calaclavia's MFFS. Because of frame functionality. I want to eventually include rules for making entire transportation networks of these things. Not planes, those wouldn't work as well. but blimps/dirigibles would be awesome, and would fit in better with Minecraft IMO.

Oh, and ships. They wouldn't be able to have a keel with Minecraft water mechanics (I feel like I'm repeating myself. Did I say this a couple posts ago? Eh, whatever), so the bottom of the ship would have to be the block above the surface of the water.

Drydocks for ships/blimps so it's easier to define the ship's definition for Calaclavia's MFFS. Sky docks for blimp docking.

Battle Blimps with racks of arrow launchers stacked on top of each other.
Siege blimps with Redstone cannons and arrow launchers.

Nuclear powered blimps.
Nuclear powered ships.

Nuclear kamikaze ships/blimps?
TNT kamikaze ships/blimps?

Coal/Coke/Charcoal-powered "Steam" ships/blimps

Hippy "Sunlight only" ships/blimps.

Oil tankers (ships or blimps) with 1k+ Buildcraft/other tanks, filled with liquid.
Cargo ships (ships or blimps) with 1k+ chests filled with items (AE mini-network with extendable hookups to interface directly with a city's AE network?)

Roving Oil Derricks--they go where the oil is.

I mean, just in the realm of transportation ALONE, the possiblities are mind-boggling.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Yes, I have a massive hardon for Calaclavia's MFFS. Because of frame functionality. I want to eventually include rules for making entire transportation networks of these things. Not planes, those wouldn't work as well. but blimps/dirigibles would be awesome, and would fit in better with Minecraft IMO.

Ah ha! I'm going to need to research this mod now. I've wanted a dirigible (IRL) ever since watching UP, plus probably a few more movies but UP is definitely an influence. I was looking forward to RP but only got into FTB ala 1.5.2 betas, so no frames.

Hmmm... but I have wool so I can at least build a non-functioning hot-air ballon.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, not going to make an R2R pack.

First off--don't have time for config files anymore. Nor the patience.

Secondly: Many, many mods say "This mod may not be used in public mod packs except by X". I'm not going to be going against their wishes.

Granted, in the past, I sort of got around this by saying "These are mods I enjoy. A, B, X, Y, Z, etc. Find, Download, Install them yourself, and you can use my configs". But that's a grey area. And only for 4-5 people. Finding, Compiling, and releasing to the public a mod pack? Nah, I'll stick to typing.

Besides, the point of this challenge is that you can do this with ANYTHING. Vanilla? Go for it. Not as many features, but still 100% doable. Mo' Creatures? Have fun Ranchers! Unleashed? ...........so many mods to look at. But yeah, it's possible.

Personally, if someone were just coming in and wanting to do Vanilla, I'd recommend Vanilla+Bibliocraft. At least Biblio temporarily, so you can get the in-game rulebooks added to your game. Then remove Bibliocraft, and enjoy Vanilla w/in-game Rulebooks.

Of course, the top rules in my eyes are:

1) The Rules are more of a Creative Guideline to get your creative juices flowing
2) the Rule of Cool--if you think it would be more fun to violate a rule, do it if it's cool. Not if it's in the "I'm too lazy, this is to hard, etc" vein.

I had a 3rd one like 10 minutes ago. Can't remember it for the life of me.

I'd argue that this is still a violation of the mod maker's intent. But I do concede that it is a gray area. a very gray area. But if I did a dedicated R2R pack on ATLauncher, it would STILL be a public mod pack. But that's just my opinion.

Another Challenge I want to make

The Dwarf Fortress Challenge. Basicaly it would be a variation of this, except underground, based heavily off of Dwarf Fortress. You would be attempting to create a new Mountainhome. MAybe include some Masterwork stuff. dunno.

Transportation

Oh, and ships. They wouldn't be able to have a keel with Minecraft water mechanics (I feel like I'm repeating myself. Did I say this a couple posts ago? Eh, whatever), so the bottom of the ship would have to be the block above the surface of the water.

Drydocks for ships/blimps so it's easier to define the ship's definition for Calaclavia's MFFS. Sky docks for blimp docking.

Battle Blimps with racks of arrow launchers stacked on top of each other.
Siege blimps with Redstone cannons and arrow launchers.

Nuclear powered blimps.
Nuclear powered ships.

Nuclear kamikaze ships/blimps?
TNT kamikaze ships/blimps?

Coal/Coke/Charcoal-powered "Steam" ships/blimps

Hippy "Sunlight only" ships/blimps.

Oil tankers (ships or blimps) with 1k+ Buildcraft/other tanks, filled with liquid.
Cargo ships (ships or blimps) with 1k+ chests filled with items (AE mini-network with extendable hookups to interface directly with a city's AE network?)

Roving Oil Derricks--they go where the oil is.

I mean, just in the realm of transportation ALONE, the possiblities are mind-boggling.

If you're going to use the UE version of MFFS, you might as well throw in Mekanism and Atomic Science. Those are both UE mods that can seriously produce amazing results in energy generation and the sheer size required once you get into particle accelerators of AS. Not to mention that reactor turbines(from AS, not wind turbines from Mekanism) are so incredibly amazing if you power with Railcraft boilers.

One thing that really needs to be mentioned with regards to Factorization is early game access to steam. Mirror wells fueling solar boilers make steam that can power the various steam engines. You'll have to look one up, because I don't have a world with one available at the moment.

Back to particle accelerators, they are more efficient as they grow bigger. A 64x64 block LHC(Large Hadron Collider) is considered average. 84x84 is a good size and 100x100 is overkill but still awesome. Needless to say, you must chunkload LHC's in order for them to work, but you will never, ever, ever run out of power.

Mekanism makes steel production extremely as well so you can get boilers up and running very quickly. A modpack with Mekanism and Railcraft can get a boiler up and running within an hour of spawning. You might a little while longer to build up the fuel required to start the boiler, but that's beside the point. Also, you extremely early access to steel for TiC tools. Steel will mine up to Cobalt/Ardite and makes for very good weapons as well until you get your hands on a Many cutlass.

Anyways, since you're back, I will probably start over on a Resonant Rise version of the Challenge. It's kind of fitting. RR for the RtR Challenge. xD[DOUBLEPOST=1378490281][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ah ha! I'm going to need to research this mod now. I've wanted a dirigible (IRL) ever since watching UP, plus probably a few more movies but UP is definitely an influence. I was looking forward to RP but only got into FTB ala 1.5.2 betas, so no frames.

Hmmm... but I have wool so I can at least build a non-functioning hot-air ballon.

Calclavia's MFFS frames are part of 1.5.2. You don't have to miss out.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
yay, weba Rymmie.

I'm actually loading up DW20 1.5.2 d right now to set up a prototype airship/maritime ship docking port that can use pipes, AE, and/or carts (load/unloaders, elevator rails) to load/offload cargo.

I'll be using the Calaclavia forcefield building/deconstruction options, moving option, and an airlock where you can kill mobs (hostile, passive, or players). It's just going to be a prototype, so probably a vertical slice of a ship/docking port.

don't have a very good laptop so it will probably be pictures. But I can put the save up on dropbox for interested parties.

having a few problems figuring this out......

mainly because the custom fields aren't working >.>

But I've already decided that I'm going to have my ships/blimps pull up to a certain point, stop, and then a docking port will be raised/materialised/etc, that will connect waterproof pipes, AE, and carts. Carts will be hooked up to loaders/unloaders or cargo managers. probably loaders/unloaders if they work with redstone to prevent loading/unloading when I don't want them to, otherwise cargo managers.

.....welp, got it all working nicely, but didn't have many ways to do power for my AE network because it's my own little pack. decided not to do solar panels (basic), and instead run it off the Coercion Driver.

Plopped it next to the ME Controller and....crash.

But I got it working EXACTLY how I wanted. Got a liquid/item cart track laid down (one for each), though a power cart line would work great too, with an AE cable in the middle. On the ship side I had nothing but 4 Server racks. On the *station* side I had a controller.

The idea was that at ports, the AE cables connect the racks to the controller, pull everything out of the racks into the server racks in the ports, and then the ship pulls away. The ME network on the ship doesn't need power, because the racks are only accessed when in port. And then only to load/unload items.

There would also be redstone controlling the railcraft loaders/unloaders. All carts would be kept portside, with none inside the ship(s) during travel.

There's one small problem--when items are dematerialized, standard tracks aren't being picked up like they're supposed to be. they're falling down.

I was literally about to start taking screenshots, too. Tried loading up the world but it doesn't load. DAMMIT.

though now that I know what to do......

btw, this prototype is non-functional, because I don't want to do redstone for elevator tracks/any booster tracks atm. it is only a prototype. give me a little while and I'll post screens of a new one.

1oP1W0R.png

So this is my prototype.

It runs with 2 forcefield projectors, 3 rails (items, power, liquids), and a pair of AE network cables. Though next time the rails need to be 2 blocks apart or you have to do an awkward thing for the third.

fugvfOXh.png

Ship/Blimp side

QAUtQaCh.png

Port side

X0ZPr7fh.png

Full bank of loaders/unloaders, with cart tracks on top of these two pillars.

Jrzh6Pah.png

Tear down the whole thing.....

oc74Xpsh.png

when it's time for ships to leave.

9hjv6hdh.png

Put it back when they dock.

:D

it's a great little prototype. even if it's all unpowered as far as carts go, and the middle cart rail has some funky rails. For some reason three cobble blocks spawn up top no matter what I do. And the ME drives are all empty (all four server blocks).

Oh, and minecart tracks don't dematerialize with this. Because it goes for the bottom blocks first.

That said, it's a semi-functional prototype, and I'm proud of it. Obviously more work would have to be done with Redstone, but as it's just a very early prototype, I'm good with it.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say, I am VERY tempted by Minecraft Comes Alive

On the one hand, I love Testificates, and I've incorporated them into the Challenge's lore......

on the OTHER hand, useful Villagers.

Also, not sure what version of Forge made an updated crash for Item ID conflicts, and made a conflictid.txt in the Minecraft folder, but I LOVE the change. Would have saved me over 30+ hours of ID hunting a couple months ago.

FFFFFFFF.....that was close. Wsn't paying attention, and almost walked into lava with 3 full backpacks from the backpack mod (27 items apiece) and an almost full inventory.

Thankfully I dropped onto some stone. Mainly because I'd been getting along without a minimap, installed one, and was distracted by the minimap.

Would have taken my entire haul of Tinker's Construct items from the Village.

Geeze they have a lot of items.

Found my world's spawn, and its two floating islands. Definitely gonna build something there. Maybe getaway houses/watchtowers? :p

or maybe a giant bridge connecting the two and a Bioshock Infinite-esque city between/around them.

Redstone Updated

Not much, I'm having a dry spell with inspiration atm, but I got SOME updates in. Redstonecore will be at least 2x more.

Omni-Mod Challenge

Starting next Stage, this Challenge will be to use at least 1 thing (besides just harvesting ores) from EVERY mod in your mod pack.

9/7/13 Update

Didn't get much done today. Because I played Episode 1 of The Walking Dead and I need to recover emotionally.

DAMMIT DOUG!

*sighs*

Anyway, I did get a couple things done:

http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Technology
http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Magic

Very preliminary, but I think I got all the major mods on there. These pages will be phasing out the "Required Mods" or whatever I called it page on the Wiki. With a list of mods that might be enjoyable.

Not sure if I've mentioned yet or not, and since I'm about to go to bed I can't be arsed, but I did update the Redstone page. A little.

Yesterday.

http://refugeetoregentchallenge.wikispaces.com/Redstone+Discovery

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Also, not a big deal, you're working hard, but I thought I'd gripe at you with some technical issues on the redstone page. Ye can't get ye light nexus. It needs Nether Quartz blocks now instead of snow. I have no idea why you suggested going with it first in the first place, honestly.
Needed Nether Quartz for a while, actually. Can be upgraded too by replacing the glass with gold or diamond blocks. Makes it either 300% faster or 1000% faster.

Anyway, a normal item nexus is obtainable in the overworld with some exploring(get 'dat arcane ash) and is much more suited for a budding mage. Why? Because of reasons that totally have nothing to do with balance.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I wrote that in 1.4 lol.

Again, I know nothing about Ars Magica. I decided to pick that because there was no EE2 Condenser stuff going on. Just a steady stream whatever they call it. Thanks.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Bibliocraft. It can store pretty much anything, and I'm getting in-game rulebooks written up. Speaking of....

Here's the Link to a folder in my Dropbox. When I write new books, they will go in there. At the moment I have all three difficulties up through the Wood stage, and I think one book in the Stone Hamlet stage. Or maybe I'm just starting it. don't remember. Look at Bibliocraft, and use the instructions to get the books physicaly digitally into your game.

Books are stored in a folder in the config file called "books". Yes, lower-cased b.

Bibliocraft is going to make it easier to write a history for your village as well since you can toss in everything in the books config path. I'm going to touch on this in my series once my librarian and library gets some attention.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
What I'd like to do, after doing some thinking, is make this challenge a bit more modular.

What I mean is making each section distinct and interchangeable.

For example, the Agriculture section--it will include all Agriculture stuff, AND all population requirements for the new Agriculture stuff. Tech will have all the Tech stuff and all the population requirements for the new Tech stuff. and so on. This will be in the (new) Bibliobooks and the wiki after the already started Normal Redstone Discovery. So Redcore, and next stage+

Residential may be phased out entirely, or it may end up just becoming more "For X stage's Dwellings, it needs Y, Z, and V, choose W number of additional rooms from the main page."

WHY am I doing this?

Because I've seen a few people saying that they're doing Normal, with bits of Hardcore here and there. This would let these people do 3/4 of the Normal Challenge, but maybe only choose 1 area to do Hardcore. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--this Challenge is designed as an aid to creativity, not a hard and fast "DO THIS OR ELSE!." And if it helps people to pick and choose what they want (or go full Normal, or full Hardcore) so be it. I've lost track of the number of tiems I've offered a "Rule of Cool" out.

And for those of you who have downloaded the books, these starting books will not change just yet. I'm gonna go back and change them to this new modular design in Alpha 0.2 Bibliobooks. In addition, instead of only a single sourcebook, there will be the main sourcebook, and each category (Commercial, Tech, Magic, etc) will have its own sourcebook talking about the basics of each category. However, for the books I have not written yet in Alpha 0.1, I will probably be following this (just like Woodcore has atm, with Agro, Commercial, etc).

I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed that nobody's commented about Cartman's Tinkery yet. :p

So I've done a bit more work, and I think Normal Redstone Discovery is pretty much done. And yeah, that's more job buildings than new population. It's assuming that some of the agriculture is being moved out to Outliers in exchange for more building room.

After some consideration, I plan to have Calaclavia's MFFS available next (after Redstone) stage, but it won't be very big and must either be sphere, tunnel, or square, and won't be able to have any upgrades at all besides what's necessary for the square/sphere/tunnel, the size upgrades to get it to the proper size, and the upgrade that lets all the force fields join together. The upgrade that lets you move the center of a force field won't be available. The only blocks that will be able to be built will be the FF generator and the basic power block.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the wall shape too. No camo, no MFFS auto-build/auto-tear down, etc.

it's been a while for the other MFFS (Calaclavia's is far superior IMHO), but I'm sure I can figure something very basic out.

Should I add AE Chest/1k Storage this stage or next?

I'm a little torn. If I do, it would ONLY be the AE Chest/1k Storage. No wires, no controllers, no nothing else.

REDSTONE FORTIFICATION

What I have down for Normal right now is seriously too much for Normal. That's probably gonna end up being Redcore. For those of you on Normal Redstone, ignore the Fort. Outlier, you only need 1 new Squad. There's going to be some uprading of the military HQ in your Capital that I'm going to be adding in, but for now, yeah. You just need 1 new squad (9 Recruits/1 Sergeant), and a new Leftenant, if necessary (1 Leftenant/2-5 Squads)--check your totals to see if you need one or not.

Eventually I do plan on adding an Officer that's superior in rank (but below Commandant/General--or maybe add General ON TOP OF Commandant....hmmmm........) to the Leftenant, btw. it will probably be 1 of these per 4-8 Officers.

Dunkurtin

Jul 29, 2019
Just found this and looking to give it a shot. Might be nice to have some direction and pacing instead of just racing to build all the OP stuff and effectively unlock creative mode. Just trying to decide if i want to record and do a video series or not first. =]

As far as AE goes, i think it should definitely not be till a later stage considering it involves transferring matter to energy and basically removes any need for other storage. As much as I love AE I think it shouldn't be available till maybe even the second last stage. Perhaps you could make mini milestone points mid stage for progression from 1k to 4k.

EDDIT: May actually try to adapt this to Ampz as I already have a reasonably well established Unleashed world going.

deemera

Jul 29, 2019
Just started up a new 1.5.2 FTB Unleashed world last night. Currently cowering in fear in my clay hut (hardcore mode). I had forgotten how it feels to still be afraid of a straight up fight with a regular mob after the first minute of the game. Also, I'm making a Rule of Cool change to my Dirt Hovel stage. Crafting Tables are disallowed. No bed, no door, no chest, no bowls. Any materials for stage 2 have to be carried in my own limited inventory space. The only crafting that can be done is what you can do in the 2x2 in your inventory screen.
2013-09-17_06.23.00.png
2013-09-17_06.38.44.png

Edit: I'm making another change to the Dirt Hovel stage. As worded, the most challenging hardcore version requires X stacks of wood and X stacks of planks, where X is the number of different available trees. Since this is highly seed specific, I'm modifying that requirement to 6 stacks of wood/planks, including at least 1 stack each of 4 different types of wood/planks. I'm similarly modifying the sapling requirement to 64 saplings, including at least 8 of 4 different types.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

deemera

Jul 29, 2019
One more update this morning before I move onto the Wood Settlement stage. Maul, I really love this challenge. I'm enjoying the low-tech feel, and I'm looking forward to tools, finally ;)

One thing I would suggest. Some of the requirements for the stages could use a bit of tightening up. The wiki says 1 thing, the in-game book (which I couldn't find mentioned on the wiki, or edited into the first post) says another. Some of the wiki's requirements are listed as a range. For instance Woodcore says build 3-7 Refugee Refuges. That's a big variance. I'd recommend picking a number. People that play this challenge shouldn't necessarily have the same experience, but their experiences should at least be comparable. And the wiki has a bunch of [Challenge] tags in the hardcore version. Maybe the difficulty settings (track/normal/core) could be expressed as the number of challenges completed in each stage? That would also allow a range of dwellings. The requirement could be 3, but there could be Challenges for 5 or 7.

2013-09-17_08.50.27.png

Ahhh, an inventory full of achievement.

Dunkurtin

Jul 29, 2019
So I started one in Unleashed, not recording because I can't be bothered going through setting up all my editing stuff again after a surge not long ago took my main HDD (and most my other parts). If I stick this out and enjoy it enough I may eventually do a Dwarf Fortress adaptation for a Youtube series down the track. The most fun I had on Vanilla forever ago was after getting renewable food and wood, making a cave and sealing myself in to never go to the surface again. Carving out an entire city could be pretty cool.

Anyway, back on topic, I have finished the Dirt Stage Hardcore, with no extra challenges. I mainly decided to go Hardcore because I thought it was silly that normal doesn't require you to update older buildings to keep with the times. Why should some people be left to live in rickety old shacks. Sure I could have just added that requirement for myself but I figured why not see how far I can be bothered going. I regretted this when it came to finding clay on my world...

My Hovel Bedroom, with bed.

Chest, with required supplies all arranged at bottom. Can see my crafting bench to the side (seeing as its listed specifically as a requirement =P).

My hovel. Made from clay, 6x7, with double doors, buttons to open them and window holes on each side.

If you didn't guess by the waypoint, I am intending to also incorporate the Castle Challenge in, I like the way where it forces me to either adapt my building immediate terrain or put in the effort to terraform the area.
Actually really happy with where my seed put me, I used the phrase 'Castle City Challenge' (will grab number later) with Plenty O Biomes and it spawned me right between a huge Volcano area and a Village. As I have to protect my spawn point I couldn't just use a village building, well I could have put some dirt over it I suppose and come back I suppose, But I'll just go with not yet trusting the outsiders enough to leave it in such a poorly defended state. I'll eventually expand out and take them under my wing once I'm sure they can be trusted. =P
The Volcanic area I like because it provides an inhospitable approach to what will be the rear of my castle and a great site, once i get to Redstone stage and beyond, for an Industrial Zone. Where better than an already smoggy area with abundant sources of fuel?

View from top of hill just to the west of my hovel.

EDIT: Have hit a snag while reading through Wood Stage Hardcore requirements to see what I should do first. Due to the requirements for the Castle Challenge I will not be able to turn my Hovel into a Mob Spawner. For the purpose of trying to satisfy this as best as possible I will relocate my Hovel exactly as is to a nearby location.

Reactions: fergcraft

Dunkurtin

Jul 29, 2019
Was rereading some of the earlier posts in the thread to see if I missed something interesting by not reading it all when I had a few idea considering the idea of a Underwater edition of this. Figured I should write them down somewhere so they aren't forgotten. It would be a post apocalyptic challenge intended as a step up from this so I don't see much point in going to far into it before this challenge is even finished but I think my initial ideas are decent.

RtR - Rapture edition.

Idea for start

Post Apocalypose, all electrical and magical items rendered useless.

Starting inventory:

6 x saplings
12 x seeds
2 stacks dirt
32 x Wood logs
16 x torches
4 x bread or apples

Starting point must be at least 200 blocks from shore.

Mud/clay hovel 3x3x2 minumum

Reinforcement needed. Log pillar will hole 2 directly linked open blocks around it. (Think like scaffolds)

O
OOO
OOLOO
OOO
O

2x2 dirt pillar will do the same

OO
OOOO
OODDOO
OODDOO
OOOO
OO

2x2 log pillars may hold roofs over 2 blocks high (will be needed for tree farm)

In later exploration of caves any openings to the surface would have to be sealed with 3 layers of cobble then abandoned. Cobble would not fully block all radiation so openings over a certain area would not be completely shielded, so open ravines would not be safe with a 3 layer roof and would have to be sealed and not traversed. In later stages upon getting access to better materials structure may be able to be made on the surface out of such (think nuclear reactor materials)

And upon having a tree farm going and being in the wood stage again, wood would still need reinforcement though much less than dirt. However to prevent rotting a layer of 2 dirt or 1 clay blocks would need to be put around the outside. Wooden doors can not hold back the ocean, exits to outside would have to remain as a tunnel under the wall.

EDIT: Forgot to ask for some clarification on the mine supports. Say you find a coal vein on the edge of a mountain that turns out to go 4-5 blocks deep, do you need to coutn digging it out as mining, making it 3x3 and putting in supports?
OR would it not count as you are not going past 10 blocks which is when each support is required?

For now I've just made my rule of cool that if it isn't going over 8 blocks it's not a mine but I wanted to know what the intention with that was.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
....wow. that's a lot of stuff to cover.

Mobius

First, Mobius--Maps are unlocked in Iron Village, as are most vanilla Redstone tech (including compasses, and, by extension, maps).

Dunk

Yes, AE will be late game. While it IS introduced in Redstone, that is ONLY the AE Chest. It will be expanded over the next few stages with upgrades to the cells (1k, 4k, etc). AE Crafting will be way way way at the end, with the start of the Extra Cells (AE-addon mod, think Binnie's mod--Extra Trees/Bees).

The 1k Storage Cell will be showing up in the next stage, along with Ender Chests (Vanilla, mod). 4k will be showing up with the Ender Pouch, with AE wireless access (both the tool/block(s) ) probably along with the 16k, and crafting with 64k, and the quantum entanglement thing that allows universal access anywhere as long as you have a matched pair with the first of the Extra Cells mod--at a rough sketch for the future.

Demeera

• 1 stack of logs (any kind)
    • [Challenge]: Collect 1 stack of logs of each type of wood near you, using only your fists.[/challenge]
  • 2 stacks of planks (any kind)
    • At least 32 planksof any kind of wood you have access to within several chunks.
      • [Challenge]: Collect a stack of every kind of planks you have access to within several chunks
        • If only 1 kind of Wood is available, collect 4 stacks [/Challenge]
  • 32 Saplings Total
    • [Challenge] For additional challenge, you must collect 16 Saplings of every kind available to you (Except Thaumcraft Trees)
        • If you have more than 5 kinds of trees available to you, collect 8 Saplings of every kind.
        • If you have more than 9 kinds of trees available to you, collect 6 Saplings of every kind.
        • If you have 2-4 kinds of trees available to you, collect 16 Saplings of every kind.
  • 32 Wheat Seeds
    • [Challenge]/[Mod]: Collect every kind of Seed dropped by punching/cutting grass
      • [Vanilla] If only 1 kind of Seed is available collect a stack of 64 Seeds
      • If 2-4 kinds of Seeds are available, collect 32 Seeds of every type.
      • If 5-8 kinds of Seeds are available, collect 10 of every type
      • If 9 or more Seeds are available, collect 4 of every type.

Thought that covered it, Demeera, but that's why I specifically mention Rule of Cool :p

As far as differences between books/wiki: Yeah, I know. Books are far more recent, and are generally the goto for rules, if there's a conflict. Yes, I know, they're not all written yet >.<

[Challenges]

Hadn't really given that much thought. BUt it does bear a bit more thought. And a lot of tightening up, yes.

Supports

Side shafts made from digging veins of rock do not need to be 3x3, and use your best judgement as to whether or not it needs a support (doesn't need to be massive, could just be a few logs), depending on whether or not it's a massive hole. Your rule of cool sounds good to me.

.....and that Rapture challenge sounds like all kinds of fun.

would do longer post but am a little distracted atm. I'll be sure to get a pic from each of you in the main post ASAP.

deemera

Jul 29, 2019
Maul, this challenge is awesome, AND there's room for improvement. I've been thinking about this a bit more, and I came up with an idea.

What if everything were broken down into a point system? Completing a challenge grants you points (determined by how difficult/time consuming it is). You advance to the next stage when you get enough points. This would give a lot of flexibility in terms of which challenges people want to complete, while giving a metric for comparing the different levels of the challenge against each other.

I've included a rough writeup of stages 1 and 2 below as an example. I designed these with a 100 point system per stage, assuming hardcore would need all 100. I tried to balance each challenge based on difficulty/time. For instance, the 2x2 shelter in stage 1 is 1/3 as many blocks as the 6x6, so it's worth 1/3 the points. I skipped a lot of minor things that felt like they weren't on the same scale as everything else (for instance, you don't get any points in stage 2 for constructing a wood pickaxe or planting 2 wheat). This did have the side effect of making normal and fast track look a bit underachieving, but compared to Hardcore, they kind of are. Normal chops down a couple trees and builds a dirt hut. Hardcore collects 6 stacks of wood and builds a 100 block clay structure. There's not much comparison. ;)

And this system is always capable of being rebalanced. There's nothing written in stone that says Normal should do 6% or 25% of the work Hardcore does. Personally, I'd shoot for 50% for normal and maybe 10-15% for fast track, but YMMV.

With this rough writeup, I also left out any rules that didn't feel like they were holding their weight. I cut armor/tool use requirements, the bit about buildings/tunnels needing propping/shoring, specific descriptions of room size/contents. Maybe those could be put elsewhere (in a general philosophy/spirit of the challenge document). They felt like they cluttered up the writeup on the wiki a bit.

--------------------
Stage 1: Dirt Hovel
--------------------
Rules:
Crafting Table may not be crafted
Planks may not be placed

Challenges:
------------
Build a 2x2 shelter - 3 points
Build a 6x6 shelter - 10 points
Include 2 wool in your shelter - 10 points​
Include 50 clay blocks in your shelter - 5 points​
Include 100 clay blocks in your shelter - 20 points​

Collect 16 logs - 1 points
Collect 6 stacks of logs - 30 points
Include at least 1 stack of 4 different types - 10 points​

Collect 8 saplings - 1 points
Collect 64 saplings - 5 points
Include at least 8 of 4 different types - 5 points​

Collect 8 seeds - 1 points
Collect 64 seeds - 10 points

Fast Track - 0 points
Normal - 6 points
Hardcore - 100 points

-------------------------
Stage 2: Wood Settlement
-------------------------

Rules:
Stone (Cobblestone/Stone/Sandstone/etc) may not be used in crafting
Stone (Cobblestone/Stone/Sandstone/etc) may not be placed
Materials that produce Mining Level: Iron may not be used with Tinker's Construct

Challenges:
------------
Craft a full set of wooden tools (including bow/fishing rod) - 1 points

Craft a full set of leather armor - 1 points

Collect 2 stacks of Cobblestone - 1 points
Collect 5 stacks of Cobblestone - 3 points

Collect 20 palatable food (+10/player) - 1 points
Collect 120 (+20/player) palatable food - 3 points

Build a player dormitory (shared) - 1 points
Build a player house w/ bed room (+1/player) - 1 points
Include a work room - 1 points​
Include a main room - 1 points​
Include a kitchen - 1 points​
Include an infirmary - 1 points​
Include 100 blocks of wool - 2 points​
Include a storage room - 1 points​
Include an additional room - 1 points (max 5)​

Build a refugee house w/ bed room - 1 points (max 7; ignore +1/player)
Include a storage room - 1 points​
Include a main room - 1 points​
Include an additional room - 1 points (max 2)​

Upgrade dirt hovel to clay Mob Spawner building - 1 points

Build a Lumber Mill - 2 points
Include a Tree Farm - 1 points​

Build a Town Square - 2 points
Include a Well - 1 points​

Build a Cafeteria - 2 points
Include a Kitchen - 1 points​

Build a Community Building - 2 points (max 6)

Build a 20 sqm Food Farm (Wheat/Barley/Carrots/Potatos/Melons) - 1 points
Include a Water Harvest system - 1 points​
Include protection from mobs - 1 points​
Build a 70 sqm Food Farm (Wheat/Barley/Carrots/Potatos/Melons) - 4 points
Include a Water Harvest system - 1 points​
Include protection from mobs - 1 points​

Build an animal pen with 2 animals - 1 points
Build an animal pen for 4 animals - 2 points
Include 2 each of another unique type - 1 points​
Build animal pens for 15 animals - 3 points
Include 2 each of another unique type - 1 points (max 3)​

Build a 10m high Watchtower - 1 points (max 2)
Build a 20m high Watchtower - 2 points (max 4)

Connect 3 buildings with paths - 1 points
Connect 7 buildings with paths - 3 points

Connect 3 buildings with underground tunnels - 3 points
Connect 7 buildings with underground tunnels - 4 points

Build a dock - 1 points

Place at least 16 item storage units (chests/barrels) - 1 points
Place at least 32 item storage units (chests/barrels) - 2 points
Place at least 64 item storage units (chests/barrels) - 4 points

Fast Track - 2 points
Normal - 22 points
Hardcore - 100 points

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
That's.......

.....yeah, that's something I can definitely use. definitely.

in the DWellings page/book, score rooms, building materials via a score (dirt hut=base 1 point, wood shack=base 2 points, stone houses=base 3 points), and what they contain (Store room with 1 chest or 2 barrels=1 point, Kitchen w/frying pan=1 point, House wired with electrical equipment=1 point, etc).

Give each category their own point types--general advancement=X number of points/stage, but from any category you want (ignore Fortifications completely, go completely Agricultural, or however you want)

This would also streamline the Outliers........

And, for example, the Thaumaturge towers.

X points for research table
X points for arcane crafting table
X points for essence storage (Y types of Essence), etc.

Or, for kitchens, Frying Pan--Wood as Base Material, giving 1 Point, Stone 2 Points, and Metals going up in rarity, starting with Copper/Tin/Iron at 3.

hmm........

Definitely worth working in. Thanks!

Did some initial work on the Dwellings Page

It's down in the General Section, having to do with Storage at the moment.

Would do more but as it is the only reason I'm doing it is because I can't sleep. And I have class tomorrow.

Yes, some of those totals need to change. Not entirely firm on the Deep Storage Unit, the 64k unit.........and I need to look at the Extra Cells mod closer.

Not sure if I should do half-numbers. eg. .5

If I do, that's as low as I would go. no quarters, no eighths, etc.

Dunkurtin

Jul 29, 2019
Finally completed my personal home/fort for wooden stage. I ask everyone to keep in mind that this building is intended to serve as a military outpost hastily constructed for defense. It's not meant to be fancy and yes the rooms are small and only just meeting requirements. This was done intentionally as I believe it is more suitable for my intentions. For my extra required rooms/features for hardcore I am counting the surrounding palisade(which is a castle challenge req), my small personal garden, the main hallway and the lookout. Everything really is rather cramped but I was working with limited space as I did not want to carve too much out of the cliff on one side as I intend to eventually build up and have parts of the castle resting on top of the hill. And on the other side is the volcanic area which I can't build into as wood is flammable. >_<

Front view of entire compound.

Personal garden inside the palisade.

Main hall. The log pillars in the walls are acting as central reinforcement to hold the second floor. I'm working on logs being 4x as dense as planks so being able to hold much more.

Infirmary. Very bare, looking to add some flowers at least to try and brighten it up.

Storage room. There is another stack of 3 barrels opposite the visible stack.

Work room. This is one of the 2 rooms on the second story.

Bedroom. Also on the second story.

and finally the kitchen.

Another view from the hill above.

And a map of the area.

So I hadn't really gone near the village near me for a while and went to raid their crops recently and discovered that it has been abandoned. All the villagers seem to have been killed by zombies and such. =[
On the plus side I've recently realised I may be forced to expand into that area than I first had planned. My refugees are a superstitious lot and refuse to move into the abandoned buildings or even work their left over fields but i'll be able to scavenge supplies from some of the smaller buildings and make use of the land. I'm pretty disappointed as I was looking forward to growing the population once i started adding more houses, i may have to spawn in some replacements once i have my own dwellings built. Anyway I've done a lot of work clearing the immediate area out of my fort for initial expansions.

Thinking I will put my Farm and Ranch in the area yet to be cleared to the top right.

My thoughts on the point system.
Instead of reworking the whole challenge to meet the suggested point requirements, don't use the points as the upgrade requirements. Personally I think keep the current general structure and use a point system as a comparison between cities. Then you don't have to worry so much about putting restrictions to prevent people spamming one thing to get their points over a threshold. Or working each section to a specific point system. You could change hardcore progression to a smaller list of 'must haves' however and then add a point threshold on top to streamline it a bit.

People could then compare eg:
Person 1: Completed Normal Wood stage with 35 points
Person 2: completed Normal Wood stage with 52 points
Person 3: Completed Hardcore Wood stage with 102 points.

Also if there is any more interest in the Rapture adaption I will try getting down some more idea for it. I don't know if i'll be able to write one up completely as i've never done anything like that before but i'll certainly share my ideas for now and perhaps it can eventually be collaborated into something

In terms of reasons to expand, i was thinking wood stage could include risking a brief exposure to the surface to build a signal fire platform for survivors. Possibly with an access tunnel down to the see floor but to a separated dome from the rest of the structure so radiation doesn't leak down and into your new home.
Also advancement structures would include rooms having to be on the ocean floor, not tunneled down into the ground, so roof exposed to water, as as holding the weight of the water is enough of a challenge let along water+extensive soil. Otherwise if people just built underground it might as well be a Dwarf Fortress Adaption(though as they would be very similar this would probably be able to be adapted straight across to that.)