[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
forgive me, I'm having trouble sorting through all this. the wiki appears to be disabled. is there a new source of information?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I think that one's the newest, with the least info. Archived one has most info.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick update for anyone who might have been waiting on updates to the pack I threw together. It's been a while because I have a kid in the hospital, but I actually have a lot written. I'll get the pack actually updated as soon as I can.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Just a quick update for anyone who might have been waiting on updates to the pack I threw together. It's been a while because I have a kid in the hospital, but I actually have a lot written. I'll get the pack actually updated as soon as I can.

:( Oh no! I hope they get better soon!!

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah man, take your time, take care of family. :( Hope the kid feels better

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a dad myself and couldn't imagine what a wreck I'd be. Take your time... family first. Sending my prayers your way!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So I recorded Epside... 0? of my series? Was too short to count as 1 and we really didn't get much accomplished beyond me running around complaining about chunk loading issues and poison ivy. Ouch.

Anyone else have issues with it? It plays fine until I'm recording and then I have to stop every few seconds to reload chunks. I tried adjusting my RD and everything. Do I need to lower the RAM allocation? Right now I've got it set to use up to 5 gigs out of 6. Hm.

Also - any tips on avoiding quiet spots and long periods of "Um"? It's gonna be hard for me to get back into this considering now I've got damage from a 2-week-long bought of laryngitis I had last year. What do you talk about when there's suddenly nothing to talk about?

Current modlist for those interested:
  • Actually Additions
  • Additional Banners (figured It'll be a cool way to label buildings)
  • Biomes O' Plenty
  • Blood Magic (how hard is this? I've heard it's hard and doesn't have an in-game guide [actually they're developing one now]. Is a noob like myself gonna fair alright?)
  • Draconic Evolution (fun semi-op stuff for end-game)
  • Forestry
  • Gendustry
  • FuturePack (somewhat of an alien space-type mod)
  • Gravestones
  • Immersive Engineering
  • IndustrialCraft
  • Integrated Dynamics
  • Just Enough Items
  • LootBags (get fun loot for random things!!)
  • MapWriter
  • MineColonies (figured this would be fun to mess around with. Don't like the idea of getting a free ship build on first settlement, though. Wish this were configurable but it isn't)
  • MIneralogy (the spelling annoys me but seems like an interesting mod that focuses on changing stone gen to something more layered and pretty like IRL)
  • Pam's Harvestcraft (duh)
  • Psi (techy version of magic similar to AM)
  • Railcraft (why not?)
  • Reliquary (fun stuff!)
  • Schematica (duh)
  • Storage Drawers
  • Tinker's Construct
  • WAILA

Sadly Bibliocraft hasn't made the transition yet. Thankfully it's one of those rare mods you can toss in without harming anything.

Reactions: Lethosos

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So, @The Mobius Archives I noticed you found a roguelike dungeon in your world. After exploring one in creative mode I figured I should warn you that you should probably wait for iron before tackling it. Also, it's incredibly deep and wide (reaching diamond level and going out a few chunks in either direction probably), and the deeper you go the more it begins to resemble hell.

Just thought you should know.

[Edit] So in earlier versions Greymerk apparently had it set so you could run into it with nothing and survive just fine (this is a 5-level dungeon). It appears that in newer updates he's changed this - there weren't any wooden tools up top when I began, so I had to grab some tools. It also needs some rebalancing thanks to the combat update - a decent Iron Sword with Mend (making it pretty unbreakable and sturdy) is having a hard time against mobs wearing leather. I have a feeling they buffed the f*ck out of zombies and skeletons - or, at least, that's the way it feels. Getting a full swing is the only way to really knock them out in a timely fashion, but that takes time you sometimes don't have when being swarmed by a crowd of zombies, skeletons, and whither skeletons all at once. I like the full swing idea (it makes fighting mobs feel a lot more awesome) - I just feel like now the mobs are a little too strong and a little too pestery. Maybe knock them down a little bit. I do enjoy the smarter skeletons even though it does make them a little more annoying. Shields are wonderful things.

That being said, I'm already putting a dent in difficulty level 3 (dungeon level 4). Smite is another of my favorite enchants, right beside mend. The amount of loot you get is crazy even though the tools you get to go with it aren't in comparison to the strength of the mobs. Same with the XP, but I'm playing with Keep Inventory turned on (like I always do because I kinda suck but like the difficulty of Normal), so it's no wonder I'm at level 48.

One major critique I have right now is the room variety. The third dungeon level was basically one large crypt and took a lot of persistence to get through. Potions weren't useful because they took so long to drink while getting hounded that I'd die before it could help. There was only one cake room on the first floor and I still haven't found an enchanting or anvil room.

TL;DR: Be careful. The dungeons are large and hard and a pain in the neck. Some levels need more room variety - one large crypt level isn't nice. Swords need to be balanced against the new mob difficulty and battle mechanics - it's nice but annoying. Spamming only takes one or two hearts out at a time. Needs tweaking but is fun.

[Edit 2] To expand on the sword complaint - an iron axe with only a couple enchants was stronger than my mending, unbreaking, well-sharpened iron sword - 9 damage vs 7.

[Edit 3] Loads of silverfish in the 4th level (difficulty 3). Ugh. Working through 5th level now. KeepInventory is so useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys. I've been poking around with Enchidirion, and, before I had realized just how much space you have available per book, I was planning on trying to get an in-game core rulebook and then a bunch of sourcebooks based on whatever I wanted to do at the time.

........theeeeen I realized that I wasn't limited to 110 pages per book. And that I could potentially take up as many pages as I wanted. Of course, I did this after I edited the wiki a bit.

........and I may have started a project on Curse.

You'll need Enchidirion to open that up, but in the future I may see if I can write up a simple mod to give you the book I'm writing without Enchidirion. Say, a book with a piece of dirt or something. Or just have it in the beginning. I don't know.

I may have derped around with the demo I have on Curse, but the more I play with it, the more I realise just how POWERFUL this little engine is.

Check out this early mockup for a basic, Dirt-stage spread.

Note: This is not part of the 10 page or so demo book I wrote up and threw up on Curse as an example (and literally only the 2nd guidebook entry ever on Curse lol).

J3ctmLn.png
It's a little noisy, and some things need to get spread around, but I like this for the most part.

I especially love that I can build the 2x2 pillar. It works so much better in a visual medium than pure text. Plus I can put all the different kinds of dirt into it.

That big back arrow is a placeholder for a block of clay.

Because it's a PITA to download the picture from the wiki, and put it into the book, one block at a time.

This is basically the final page of the basic Dirt Hovel page. The next page button will put you onto the first page of the Wood Settlement pages.

The wiki is going to get edited back to roughly what it was before, without any mention of sourcebooks or core rulebooks, etc.

I'm going to try to get both the wiki and the in-game book at a point where either can be a stand-alone. Or, they can work together for the benefit of both.

I'm going very conservatively, like I did with the base challenge on the wiki, at first. Just because space is at a premium, and formatting is time consuming. Rest assured I do want to get to the really difficult challenges eventually. Both for formatting and for in-game.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
HALLELUJAH SOMEONE POSTED SO I CAN WITHOUT GOING TRIPLE. *ahem* I was actually thinking about making a building-challenge-oriented quest mod, because there isn't one and I want building challenges to be more immersive. So, right now, I'm working on learning Java.

The mod itself would probably involve two items - a selection wand and a checklist book. The selection wand could be set to "Inventory" or "Building" in a GUI and then you use it to scan either yourself, a chest, or a building to meet requirements. As you meet reqs you would maybe be awarded experience. Passing stages rewards loot. Spoiler breaks down what each menu section would do.
So first you'd right-click the wand and tell it whether you're doing inventory or a building.
If Inventory, then
  • shift + right-click air/empty block to check your own (more practical way to check tool reqirements)
  • shift + right-click chest to check other requirements (like treasure/materials)
  • This option only checks one block or yourself
It would then mark all these as "true" in either a JSON or a config. Think I'd prefer JSON more because it's a little more tamper-resistent. They would also be marked off in the book.

If Building, then
  1. A new screen with buildings required in that stage (buttons) appears
  2. Select the building you wish to check
  3. If multiple rooms, new screen will appear with room choices (for example, a house would have 3 rooms - kitchen, bedroom, and room with slightly different requirements)
  4. Select lowest corner and highest corner. I'll probably make it expand the selection by 1 block automatically to make sure it includes walls, floor, and ceiling.
  5. It will scan and mark off fulfilled requirements for that room. If it's complete it'll be removed from the gui for that building.
  6. Continue until all rooms have been scanned and marked "complete"
  7. This checks blocks within the selection +1 in all dimensions. Perhaps blocks used for setting selection (maybe a mod-specific item?) configurable to be ignored.

You'd continue doing things with the mod running the requirements through true/false checks until the challenge is complete. At the end of each stage challenge authors could choose specific loot to give or loot would be randomly selected from the table.

That being said, it would unfortunately be a lot of work for challenge authors to get their challenge formatted into appropriate JSONs, even if I make them as easy as possible to plug values into and run. We could organize a team of folks that don't mind doing this, but it's still gruntwork.

Overall idea: Mod set up to run true/false questions based on JSONs provided by challenge author and/or me and/or team. Would make completing challenges in-game more immersive and quest-like and fill that painfully open gap in the modding community.

[edit] I should add that there will probably be an "override" button somewhere in the GUI so people can implement the rule of cool. I don't know how I would make people follow hard rules like not going underground or no tools above x unless you found it. Maybe disable crafting recipes? And set barriers according to whatever helmet they have? And/or immediate kill/negative effects as soon as the player has more than one block over their head?

Last edited:

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what JSONs are, aside from that's the file type Enchidirion saves as.

Mind dumbing it down for someone who doesn't know a thing about coding mods?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
From my understanding (kind of a modding newb myself), they can work sort of like configs giving you more control over something like themes in roguelike dungeons or contents of an echiridion book. I figured it would be an easier way to set up build lists and item lists in a way that would be static in terms of style so it could be read easily. Then the mod just has to look for such files appropriately named and plug it in for a round of true or false.

This all means that I would only have to make one version of the mod and people could play as many challenges simultaneously as they wanted as long as they have that challenge's specific files on hand. Therefore much more user friendly.

[Edit] With that in mind, perhaps I could make a gui for challenge authors accessible via creative-only item? Then they don't have to learn code just to say "hey, here's my challenge name, this goes in this stage and that in that one and you're done."

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethosos

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
It's a form of gibberish I'm learning to speak ;) along with a few other forms.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. I should look over the language, too. Still want to work on my mod; it's just a hassle with Gradle most of the time. But it would be handy to define booze/potion effects...

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk