[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Like I said for me hqm is a horrible solution. Of course we're talking about a challenge that is apparently constantly evolving and not finished or undefined. So as a work in progress I'm not trying to be harsh as ninja put it.

I am saying that hqm puts the player in a box and constrictes creativity. If that works for you then great.

At a basic level, I agree. I've looked at HQM as have a few others, and it'd be really difficult to set something up that actually worked without constraining the player too much.

That's why I mentioned a couple times that it would be neat if HQM and Custom NPCs could interface a bit more, so that you can offload stage goals from HQM (very structured) and allow Custom NPCs to trigger progress within HQM (like delivering an item to an NPC or following a particular conversation path, or besting a tribal warrior in combat...) Likewise, HQM should be able to trigger or unlock certain quest chains or events within Custom NPCs so that by completing the "Path of the Cloud Serpent" quest chain, a new NPC becomes available to you that you can then interact with, and how you do so will unlock (or make unavailable) other elements.

The way I'd hope to see it evolve, this would give pack makers a little more flexibility in designing story and content-driven packs, rather than the standard mishmash of mods and tweaks, with an HQM monorail leading you by the nose through the pack. Instead, you could change it up so that HQM/*Custom NPCs is there to open (or close) quest chains, not drag you through one grind after another.

*This could be Custom NPCs, Ancient Warfare 2, Mine Colonies, Citizens 2, Minecraft Comes Alive, Helpful Villagers, whatever would provide the most creative freedom to allow me to build packs and challenges in a fashion as I described. Currently, Custom NPCs comes closest for ambiance and general usefulness. Ancient Warfare 2 is good (for me) for villager automation in a non-military form and in having villagers consume resources. Helpful Villagers is ok in that it (sort of) works, but more in a mindless free slave labor sort of way.

Zonnebrand

Jul 29, 2019
Thought this might be helpful for those who wish to setup a daytime and nighttime event schedule for their Custom NPCs.
Here is a Customs NPC script function to trigger navigating events and animations based on time:

//Update Tab
//Below vars define arrarys that contain (Loc X, Loc Y, Loc Z, Animation, TimeHourMinute)
var locPorch = [-913,67,983,0,10]; //Stands on the porch
var locLunch = [-944,67,913,1,600]; // Sits at Tavern table in a chair
var locDinner = [-916,67,987,1,1400]; // Sits at a dinner table in chair
var locBed = [-912,67,997,2,1800]; //Lays in bed

//Main Function to test and call navigation
function fsetNav(loc) {

var time = world.getTime() % 24000; //Gets minecraft world time
var timeHourMinute = Math.floor(time/10); //Cuts off seconds - they tick too fast for testing

//Test the current time, if match then do navigation and animation
switch(timeHourMinute)
{
case loc[4]:
npc.navigateTo(loc[0],loc[1],loc[2],1.4); //calls navigation function (X,Y,Z,Speed)
npc.setAnimation(loc[3]); //set animation (see Noppes API for numeric values)
break;
}
return 0;
}
//Calls each location array and tests each tick
fsetNav(locPorch);
fsetNav(locLunch);
fsetNav(locDinner);

fsetNav(locBed);

Forgot I need to add a setRotation to the array so you can pick which way they are facing. I believe one could also pass a dialogue if speech strings are setup in the Initialization tab and passed as tempdata in the update tab.

Reactions: Senseidragon

VaultTec_CEO

Jul 29, 2019
Planned on posting my first few screenies of my 1.7.10 world, however it's now pretty late and I feel as though there isn't enough worth showing, aside from the amazing seed! ;) Stay tuned for the first few tomorrow!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said for me hqm is a horrible solution. Of course we're talking about a challenge that is apparently constantly evolving and not finished or undefined. So as a work in progress I'm not trying to be harsh as ninja put it.

I am saying that hqm puts the player in a box and constrictes creativity. If that works for you then great.
And I'm not saying to use HQM the way that everyone currently uses HQM, the famous Agrarian Skies and Crash Landing way would not work for R2R. All you think of when you hear HQM is the heavily restrictive paths of forced guidance with progress locked behind successive quest gates. There are examples in this very thread using the tools that HQM provides to simulate your citizens consuming food, or using the faction system. And I'm not even advocating using HQM as the core, only utilizing it in part as a method of granting things that would otherwise be cheating (such as NPC spawn items, just as a bare example), HQM is a lot more capapble than you're giving it credit for, and even it can't detect the kinds of things it would need to (especially not as flexibly as required) in order to serve as the backbone of this challenge. The idea is to find, configure, or create tools to aid people in playing assuming they're following the rules as written. Obviously if you say that you're Rule of Cool-ing away this rule or that one, any checks based upon that rule would be invalid (and could easily (I assume) be configured away). The ideas I'm putting forth are designed to support the rules as written, but designed to hopefully allow you to ignore those rules if you can change the configs. If those mods designed to enforce the rules constrain your creativity then THE RULES are constraining your creativity, not the mods, and those mods can almost certainly be configured to fit your own personal rules, or disabled.

What almost all of my ideas are intended for is helping tools, and you quite obviously don't want any help following the rules of the challenge. Which is perfectly fine, more power to you. I only ask that you please quit assuming that people trying to add some in-game structure and rule reminders/enforcement via mods are trying to cram players into some kind of restrictive box of uncreativity. We aren't, just read the thread. We're looking for ways to integrate the rules to simplify the things the player has to research or remember, to aid immersion, to reduce the amount of alt-tabbing, to make the challenge easier to follow. That's why people like @Senseidragon are still experimenting trying to find a nice balance of "not op" and "helps the challenge along". That's why I use the R2RUtilities mod, because I *do* play with the helmet rule, and that mod makes it so I never have to remember or guess if I'm delving too deeply. Most importantly however, even if someone makes an official modpack, and it somehow contrains you overly much? There is precisely nothing preventing you from assembling your own pack and running the challenge "old school". We've got multiple youtubers posting to this thread that did it that way after all :p

Seriously, we're trying to offer helpful tools, not strangle your inner artist to death in a box. If you don't like the tool we're hypothesizing, well it's probably not even capable of being used yet (most of the ideas we're currently spitballing are long config projects or unwritten mods), so it's not like all the servers are running DW20 and you can't stand Thaumcraft and Botania :)

Good to know, and thanks for the insight. Does anyone know why they were programmed to be invincible? Is there a quest to deal with them? Is there something I'm missing?
It's Ars Magica. You're likely supposed to kill them with magic. Also Mithion really REALLY likes making fights tedious (Example: Ender Guardian fight from 1.6.4), so it's probably supposed to be one of those "epic" (read: overly long) fights.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I do have Thaumcraft in the pack (its my main magic mod), but this doesn't seem to be a warded mob. The sound is that of damaging a normal mob. In the WAILA box, it tells me he has 25 armor, and I've had him trapped in a pit of Punji Sticks for over an hour without effect. I found a diamond sword and Potion of Strength in the camp, and even combined, not a point of damage. Next on my list of things to try is a TiCo Rapier (since it bypasses armor), which, luckily, was already on my to-do list. I know I can drown him if need be, but it won't count as a player kill, and I'm not sure if that will mess anything up with the AW2 progression (or if that's even a thing - I'm completely new to the mod).
For the record, warded mobs are immune to damage if their warding is active. Press the attack hard enough, the ward breaks, the foe dies.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It's Ars Magica. You're likely supposed to kill them with magic. Also Mithion really REALLY likes making fights tedious (Example: Ender Guardian fight from 1.6.4), so it's probably supposed to be one of those "epic" (read: overly long) fights.
Actually, it's a TC4 'enhanced' mob. They get a special effect, and tougher ones drop better loot bags.

Zonnebrand

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know, and thanks for the insight. Does anyone know why they were programmed to be invincible? Is there a quest to deal with them? Is there something I'm missing?
I've ran into this same Mob you described. It was a Ancient Warfare 2 Bandit leader; decked out in full diamond armor.
He gave me a good chase through the desert till I ditched him in some oil.

I am planning to go back and test a Tinker's rapier on him to see if that would bypass his 25 point armor rating.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Update: I was able to take down the Bandit Leader with a Rapier...1 damage at a time. :)

So, it must have been his high armor rating that made him invincible.
Yeah. Just out of curiosity, what did you make the rapier out of? Bad materials (stone, wood) actually will do like one damage, so the only funky thing going on is the vanilla armor (clarifying for myself and others).

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone, new episode up. This time I'm playing around with Chromaticraft as a tier 1 magic. I'm still using the classic Redstone Expansion rules here where if you've got a magic mod you're restricted to a single tier, same goes for tech. So I have a question, how many magic mods do you use? My list, at least those I use enough to remember, is: Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Botania, Mystcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, and Chromaticraft.

Reactions: VaultTec_CEO

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone, new episode up. This time I'm playing around with Chromaticraft as a tier 1 magic. I'm still using the classic Redstone Expansion rules here where if you've got a magic mod you're restricted to a single tier, same goes for tech. So I have a question, how many magic mods do you use? My list, at least those I use enough to remember, is: Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Botania, Mystcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, and Chromaticraft.

Also does anyone know what the rate to find the Star Fissure page from Mystcraft is?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Um... Aura Cascade, Blood Magic (Blood Arsenal, Sanguimancy, Sanguine Utilities), Botania, ChromatiCraft, EssentialCraft 3 (Probationary period), Project E (EE3+Simple Condensers as well, but only during the testing phase because I'm using my in-progress personal server pack), Technomancy (Putting out here instead of as TC addon because while most of its content is for TC, it's more like MagicBees in that it's a "magic mod" addon), Witchery, Xeno's Reliquary

Thaumcraft - Gets its own category... because gaggle of addons :p
Automagy, Forbidden Magic, Essential Thaumaturgy(EC3/TC4 addon), Nodal Mechanics, Symmetry Calculator, TCNodeTracker [BEST THING EVER, even if you don't use a map mod!], Thaumcraft Gates, Thaumcraft Mob Aspects, Thaumcraft NEI Plugin, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Horizons, Thaumic Tinkerer, Witching Gadgets.

These are the mods that are "magical", though not what most people think of when they think "magic mod".
Advent of Ascension, Ganys Surface/End/Nether, Grimoire of Gaia 3, Illuminated Bows, Lyra's Magnificent Trinkets, Magnanimous Tools, MFR (Yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek), Random Things, SoulShards: The Old Way, TerraArts (Probationary period), Torcherino (it sure ain't tech :p), Traveller's Gear, Twilight Forest, WarpBook

Then again, I've got a kajillionty mods, and I like new content :)

Edit: Forgot about Equivalent Energistics the AE2 + EE3/PE integration addon. By one of the Technomancy devs, and he's working on Logistics Pipes support!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive the doublepost, but this is a completely separate topic.

I don't recall the rules ever saying much about magitek addons (Oooh hey, I wonder if that mod is out of alpha. Excuse me as I go check MCF!), because many of them require progress in magic AND tech, how do the rules — especially the race magic and tech progress bonuses/penalties — handle those?

Personally its easy for a standard human, and addons like AE2/TC4's Thaumic Energistics: just progress once you're capable. If you need an AE system with Quantum Bridges and TT:Kami to get into the mod, well when you are allowed both of those things, you're allowed to progress in this really late-game hypothetical version of Thaumic Energistics. The problem is something like Technomagi which is self-contained but has integrated magic AND tech. Should you average the stages, progress at first opportunity for either magic/tech, or progress when you unlock the later of the two?

VaultTec_CEO

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wiki was not always hosted on wikia, and the old outline was copy pasted from the old domain and labeled "classic". In the transition, (way before i started this playthrough) I remember the wiki being down (as it was switching hands to wikia?) My point is, after all that down time, are others playing by the classic set of guidelines or is the newer edition the way to go? (I don't really want to read ahead in the stages)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
When the old wiki site stopped free hosting for all "non educational" uses, it was moved to a new site. Understand the policy change from the old wiki, no hard feelings. Just a pain in the neck to migrate. "Classic" is pretty much the challenge as described in the old wiki -- new WIP version is supposed to be a little more streamlined with a lot of the outlier and assorted side things moved to being options and not part of the main challenge.

@Maul_Junior will show up and clarify at some point. :)

I personally am following more closely the original concept of the challenge, at least in the earlier stages. After about iron, it gets (for me) a little sketchy so I'm doing what feels right (to me) within the spirit of the challenge.

Reactions: Type1Ninja