[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I like Schematica in terms of it's idea and execution. However, I do wish working with the schematics wasn't so.. blinding. You can't see where your hitbox is aimed for placing the next block and when you're standing in the middle of a schematic block trying to get things done it just gets disorienting. I wish instead of being fully opaque they would maybe a least be at half-transparency. Or at least have an option for that. Then you wouldn't be blinded so effectively while trying to get work done. That (and because I have a hard time talking while I build) is why I haven't really recorded much while building with it.

@Monarch_of_Gold, you do know that you can edit the transparency of the schematica blocks in the config, right?

Default is
D:alpha=1.0

just set that to something like
D:alpha=0.6

and you should be fine.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Thanks! Fixed it!

The printer part of the mod is still very finnicky. I'm not sure which parts of the config to mess with so for now I'll just go with hand-placing blocks.

At least using Schematica saves some brain power so I don't have to remember the basic blueprint for everything I design. It's still fun to hand-place blocks.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,

A day late with my update. Gotta get better organized :p

I dig my way to a better Public Nexus and try out Bibliocraft's Atlas.

The Atlas was a bit clunky until I figured out how to properly use it. It is going to make charting the world much easier for the Cartographer's League. I'm thinking they'll need a proper building/flying home base, perhaps in the next stage.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Okay, guys! Third episode recorded! It may be another long one, I'm not sure. I got a bit too wordy at the beginning and too caught up in showing how to build with Schematica, so bear with it even if it is a bit longer than 30 minutes! Accept it as my apology for it being so long since the last one!

Did I miss this episode or did it not get uploaded yet?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
That could be a post-season finale special or something, though I'm not sure you guys would like that that much because I mostly cut things where I have to stop playing for a moment and speed up parts where I'm not saying much and we're doing something tedious or repetitive. It helps make tedium and interruptions more enjoyable.

And also who doesn't enjoy jamming to awesome music while they watch me amble around aimlessly?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
That would be fun. I end up finding myself deleting all the raw footage after I've made the episode because it takes up a massive amount of space and even though I have a TB to work with, that TB gets eaten up FAST if you just leave the raw footage sitting there.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Mostly because Fraps records at an astronomical rate and makes them huge. However, post-season finale I can certainly see myself doing something maybe called a "season wrap-up" where I talk about all the things we accomplished and splice in clips from episodes showing all those things. It would probably end up being a super-huge episode, but I don't think you guys would mind.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
That would be fun. I end up finding myself deleting all the raw footage after I've made the episode because it takes up a massive amount of space and even though I have a TB to work with, that TB gets eaten up FAST if you just leave the raw footage sitting there.

I usually keep my raw footage around for a week just-in-case I accidentally move files to the wrong spot and delete something prematurely.

May I ask what you're using for editing your videos? My progression has been from Blender (Free, was clunky editing), to Lightworks (free-ish, pay lots to use more features like 1080p renders), to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (Not free, but cheaper than Lightworks, and incidentally the only item I bought during the last Steam summer sale).

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I've been using Movie Maker which gets the job done for a person that can't afford anything better. I just plop the footage and the commentary in, line them up (I've set Fraps to Press-to-Talk mode so I can record an initial word like "start" that I can use to line things up later), and export that. Once that's done, I bring that back into Movie Maker for edits and things. After everything is edited and put together I delete the unedited export and all the raw files because my computer just doesn't have a way to deal with it (compressing them takes forever).

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Alright, quick poll: My fiance found some 2-year-old episodes of "Let's Play Minecraft" I deleted AGES ago on his old laptop. What would you guys say to me commentating/reacting to my old episodes and uploading it as a miniseries titled "Monarch: Then and Now"?

Thanks, guys!

(Sorry I had to hijack the forum for a bit there, Maul)

[EDIT] So 3rd episode is edited and ready for upload. Just wanted to let you guys know the thumbnail will be a bit messier than usual because Gimp crashed before I could change the number on the thumbnail, so I had to resort to writing on it to change it. Sorry about that! Hopefully everything will be much more organized and clean next episode.

Thanks!

[EDIT 2] Third episode is up!!

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Triple post! Forgive me!

So I'm starting to feel some of the symptoms of being bored of this challenge right now (already?!) and was contemplating making a separate series on Classic Tekkit that we can bop back-and-to from when we're getting tired of our modern world.

Thoughts?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Figure out what about your challenge is boring and fix it. :)

Getting bored after 2-3 episodes indicates there might be a bit of a problem. I've spent ages trying to find the right balance of mods to keep things interesting and entertaining for me. Without something to hold my interest for the longer-term, investing hours, days, or weeks of recording time when I'm no longer having fun is senseless.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I think for now it's the fact that I can't really get into too many mods right now or explore. I have a feeling I'll be removing the radial boundaries from the challenge post-stage two because it is important that you get acquainted with your area and where it's at, it's just super hard to make someone not go exploring and we're in need of an exploration episode. I also may drop in mystcraft so we can at least mess around with going to different ages and things like that. Though before we do mystcraft ages I wanna drop in a couple more mods (galacticraft, simply jetpacks, backpacks mod, ???).