[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
...to be more clear, I do intend to look at the revised wiki when it is done, but for right now I prefer to work with what is already committed to the page.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
That was fun. :) I saw a lot of mods that I expected, some I didn't, and a few I don't think I've ever heard of. Time to exercise my Google-fu!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
...ok, Gany's Poop needed to get turned off. That was a little bit gross.

One I found while trying out some of the mods in your list (I saw this in passing looking for something else) is WTFTweaks. It's pretty nice, and I think can be very applicable in an R2R challenge.
I also hadn't tried out Galacticraft before - looked interesting and I went to a couple different moons, but ultimately hit the cutting room floor over here. :)

The other WTF stuff (WTFCaveBiomes and WTFOres) are a bit resource hungry, so I'm passing on those.

I couldn't get Technomagi to work correctly over here. Kept raising a stink about some Channel Wrapper error.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
What mods were new? As for Technomagi… That's really odd it worked out of the box for me and my mod list was HUGE when I started (forge reported over 400). I included G-craft for a few reasons.
A ) It adds aluminum/aluminium
B ) It adds exploration/ dungeon content (one of my friends is an exploration nut
C ) It has integration with other mods which was appealing and the reason I remembered it… which mod(s) I cannot recall

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I've never used "tubes" before. I just figured it was another RP2 thing, so never gave it a fair shake.
Galacticraft & 4Space - I haven't tried them in a pack before, but I've seen youtubers fiddle with it.
AI-Improvements - I think I only just recently saw this one posted, wasn't sure if any performance gains from it were noticable. Trying it now.
BBox Outline - Umm, ok... :)
Big Trees - Tried this ONCE before, and I hosed something up bad. I think the mcforums page for it lists some alternate config files to use if you run Biomes O Plenty, which at the time I did. There was a Tall Dark Oak config in there somewhere that got so corrupted it wasn't funny. It would error, and write a copy of the error file with .errored or something like that on the end of it. Then the next time I ran, it errored on the error file, and again appended a .errored on the end.. and so on, and so on, ... a few days later, the filename gets so spectacularly huge, windows can't delete it correctly. I have to go in and look up the old 8.3 short-name to get rid of it. Anyway, I shotgunned the mod after that mess. I've tried it again since seeing your list WITHOUT adding those alternate configs, and it is so far error free.
Hard Wired Lib (?) Couldn't find any reference to it. Still have no idea what it is.
BurpTech - Umm, ok... :)
Grim3212 I assume was for the Calendar mod you listed. I ended up going with one that seemed a little more configurable called "CalendarGUI" by zombiepig333. The guy appears to have vanished though, so this one may not last much longer.
Cosmetic Armor, I must admit was kinda neat and simple.
Critter Pet. Ick. Same with pet bats. Another mod called "Inventory Pets" was a neat idea if they weren't so insanely overpowered in relation to the effort involved in getting them. My daughter would typically pillar up below a cloud, open the chest from below, completely avoid the blaze spawns, and within maybe 30 minutes, effectively had creative flight. Shortly after that, she had an assortment of the things.

The combo of 3 or so pets that effectively allowed her to walk on lava with fire immunity, take 0 fall damage, fly, and port back and forth to the nether wherever she happened to be was ... silly.

DeepResonance - It looks like it could be a thing, just waiting for it to get farther along before I dive in.
Horizontal Glass Panes - How did I never hear of this one before??? Yes!
JordsUtils - I'm puzzled by what you found of use in here. I like Jordsta, but I can't see myself using this mod. :)
Squidless - Simple, useful. Picked up NotEnoughResources while I was visiting Hilburn's project page. A smart cookie, that one.
Terra Arts - Not sure what I was looking for. Was this supposed to be the Terra Nova thing?

I thought it was interesting that you didn't have BOP, Carpenter's Blocks, or Iguana's Tinker Tweaks in there, but on a lark I tossed them out of mine as well. Not really missing them much. Daughter still grumbles about losing Tinker Tweaks though. :)

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
My point is, after all that down time, are others playing by the classic set of guidelines or is the newer edition the way to go? (I don't really want to read ahead in the stages)

I started off using the classic version and even prior to the points system. I've been keeping to that more or less and striking off items slowly but surely. Once I run out of expansions in the "Classic" version I'll switch back to whatever is current for the Gold/Diamond/Emerald/Netherstar stages of my Regency... If they exist. Otherwise I'll need to let my imagination run wild :)

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
@TomeWyrm, I got Technomagi to work. Of all things, bspkrscore was what ended up conflicting with it. I had it loaded because I was previously using "Starting Inventory" in my pack. I removed those two and things run just fine.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
BBox Outline - Because I'm sick of trying to math/count out structures in MC. SIIICK!
Big Trees - Can't play with biome mods like BoP, not enough mods support them and 1.7 already made biome dependant content basically impossible to find in a reasonably sized world unless you like long spidery trails of chunks on your map wasting files in your world folder and crap (You can probably tell my thoughts on that :p). It's why I don't use EBXL, BoP, ATG, RWG, etc. They just make finding a biome even harder.
BurpTech - Un-nerfing mob farms with that movement change from ages ago; Animals eating dropped food instead of having to use feed stations can be very useful early/midgame; Nether Mobs will only spawn on Nether blocks (pigmen are the bane of my existence in that dimension. Mucking up my rails:mad:); Ditto slimes spawning only on stone/grass/dirt; Villager luring? You mean I don't have to use pokeballs? WOOO!; the glowstone thing is fun too, and it provides an early game portable crafting table because FZ can go get stuffed IMHO
Grim3212 - Indeed, for calendar. Worst case if forge breaks it, or we find a new version to play (1.7 is looking like it's going to have serious staying power with the screwups from Mojang/Lex)? It's a pretty simple mod, I might just figure out how to fix it myself.
Critter Pet - Actually it's more for mounts than "pets". They actually seem to sync halfway decently and I can use the various spiders (Normal, cave, king(TF), flamescar, etc.) for wall-climbing... and they're pretty beefy in combat too.
DeepResonance - McJty has earned alpha/beta privelage inclusion because RFT JustWorks™. Also novel power gen in fun!
JordsUtils - Drop Light. The other stuff is fun like the boss one-shotters... so damn sick of MC/mod boss fight ideas. I use the single most OP method I can come up with and/or cheese every boss fight I come across, none of them are difficult, just tedious/annoying. I'm going to have fun with the Transparent Block in general, and Safety Block for farms. Also the breaking of Botania/BloodMagic... because the early game grinds for those are tedious as <bleep>. Sorry Way! I love your mod all the time EXCEPT when I have to manually grind crap! Botania I can automate basically from the beginning, but not having to wait around as long is also nice. But mostly? The drop light.
Terra Arts - Terraria Artifacts - probationary atm, I want to see how balanced/faithful/etc it is. Plus it encourages exploration, so my friend should like it.

Carpenter's Blocks ... I wiffle-waffle on. The lag it can generate when used injudiciously is absurd, but it's also one of the few ways to get general purpose good-looking decor. FMP can go DIAF for that. I'll use Immibis' microblocks WAY before FMP's overwrought implementation. Tried to do too much for the engine to handle, and it shows unfortunately. It's back in right now.

ITT is gone because TiCo is neutered to the ground and back, and the rest of ITT is obnoxious. TiCo is only there because Tinker's Mechworks and for slime islands. The smeltery and tools are disabled. So tired of TiCo tools. I have equivalent or better options that I never use because TiCo is JUST THAT EASY.

When I get some free time (just got a job... FINALLY. Only took 5 years... stupid work experience catch-22 ARGH!) I'll totally go straight down the list and give some thoughts on why, and list mods that are common that I didn't include and why. Right now the pack is in constant flux though as I playtest and re-evaluate choices. Also as I redo configs... again. Because like 3/4 of my mods changed config defaults and stuff while I was taking a break form updating... Darn configs *shakes fist*. At least I don't have to deal with ID conflicts for blocks/items anymore!

Edit: OH! Hard_WireD_Lib is a BuildersToolbox dependency.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
BBox Outline - Because I'm sick of trying to math/count out structures in MC. SIIICK!
Big Trees - Can't play with biome mods like BoP, not enough mods support them and 1.7 already made biome dependant content basically impossible to find in a reasonably sized world unless you like long spidery trails of chunks on your map wasting files in your world folder and crap (You can probably tell my thoughts on that :p). It's why I don't use EBXL, BoP, ATG, RWG, etc. They just make finding a biome even harder.

Yep. I've had the same problem with every biome-gen mod. Usually the most common thing is villagers becoming all but extinct in worlds. I've tried adding mods that make village generation more frequent, but that's just a band-aid for a self-inflicted wound. In the end, I'm finding I can live without the extreme-biome-makeover stuff pretty well. I'm still hoping for a mod that does block physics better, but Enviromine just isn't there yet, and WTFTweaks, while clever, isn't quite stable enough yet. That said, I prefer the WTFTweaks idea more.

BurpTech - Un-nerfing mob farms with that movement change from ages ago; Animals eating dropped food instead of having to use feed stations can be very useful early/midgame; Nether Mobs will only spawn on Nether blocks (pigmen are the bane of my existence in that dimension. Mucking up my rails:mad:); Ditto slimes spawning only on stone/grass/dirt; Villager luring? You mean I don't have to use pokeballs? WOOO!; the glowstone thing is fun too, and it provides an early game portable crafting table because FZ can go get stuffed IMHO

I'll have to look again, I didn't get a strong impression of the effects out of my scanning of what it can do. I'll put it in and see what happens, maybe I'll notice it more in practice.

Grim3212 - Indeed, for calendar. Worst case if forge breaks it, or we find a new version to play (1.7 is looking like it's going to have serious staying power with the screwups from Mojang/Lex)? It's a pretty simple mod, I might just figure out how to fix it myself.

Agreed. I'm still sticking with Calendar GUI though. I like the tweaking options.

Critter Pet - Actually it's more for mounts than "pets". They actually seem to sync halfway decently and I can use the various spiders (Normal, cave, king(TF), flamescar, etc.) for wall-climbing... and they're pretty beefy in combat too.

...but ... ick. :D At least they aren't sparkle-ponies.

DeepResonance - McJty has earned alpha/beta privelage inclusion because RFT JustWorks™. Also novel power gen in fun!

I agree, just waiting for more to test.

JordsUtils - Drop Light. The other stuff is fun like the boss one-shotters... so damn sick of MC/mod boss fight ideas. I use the single most OP method I can come up with and/or cheese every boss fight I come across, none of them are difficult, just tedious/annoying. I'm going to have fun with the Transparent Block in general, and Safety Block for farms. Also the breaking of Botania/BloodMagic... because the early game grinds for those are tedious as <bleep>. Sorry Way! I love your mod all the time EXCEPT when I have to manually grind crap! Botania I can automate basically from the beginning, but not having to wait around as long is also nice. But mostly? The drop light.

I don't disagree with your reasoning at all, I just dislike the boss one-shotting thing. Yes, the boss fights are a joke. For me though, this isn't a good answer.
Jordsta has indicated a strong aversion to fighting mobs in general, and so the mod makes perfect sense to meet those goals. It just doesn't fit well with my goals. :) I guess I'm still holding out hope for decent opponent AI. Heck, I even dabbled with the "Epic Siege Mod" for a bit, remember?

I like a PvE challenge, without it being a Botania bad-acid-trip crazy boss fight. Nobody really has it quite right, but I don't think the goal is unachievable. We're just not there yet. Although I think we're a LOT closer at seeing decent PvE AI improvements than we are at ever seeing a better PvP balance in this game. I simply don't see that happening. Not being a real big fan of the average tea-making PvPer I tend to encounter, this isn't a big loss for me.

Terra Arts - Terraria Artifacts - probationary atm, I want to see how balanced/faithful/etc it is. Plus it encourages exploration, so my friend should like it.

I'll have to look again, like I said, the only one I could find was a reference to recreating Terra Nova - clearly not the same thing.

Carpenter's Blocks ... I wiffle-waffle on. The lag it can generate when used injudiciously is absurd, but it's also one of the few ways to get general purpose good-looking decor. FMP can go DIAF for that. I'll use Immibis' microblocks WAY before FMP's overwrought implementation. Tried to do too much for the engine to handle, and it shows unfortunately. It's back in right now.

Woot! I like a lot of Immibis' stuff WAY more than FMP. (A lot does not mean all, but still!) I also like Red Logic a lot better than most alternatives.

ITT is gone because TiCo is neutered to the ground and back, and the rest of ITT is obnoxious. TiCo is only there because Tinker's Mechworks and for slime islands. The smeltery and tools are disabled. So tired of TiCo tools. I have equivalent or better options that I never use because TiCo is JUST THAT EASY.

I've kind of reached the same conclusion, I just haven't actually admitted it to myself yet. And having a daughter that still likes the leveling aspects of the mod makes me drag my feet. Although she's pretty quickly becoming a fan of the new pack, so there is hope.

When I get some free time (just got a job... FINALLY. Only took 5 years... stupid work experience catch-22 ARGH!) I'll totally go straight down the list and give some thoughts on why, and list mods that are common that I didn't include and why. Right now the pack is in constant flux though as I playtest and re-evaluate choices. Also as I redo configs... again. Because like 3/4 of my mods changed config defaults and stuff while I was taking a break form updating... Darn configs *shakes fist*. At least I don't have to deal with ID conflicts for blocks/items anymore!

Congratulations! I hope the job turns out well for you!

Edit: OH! Hard_WireD_Lib is a BuildersToolbox dependency.

Ah, that would be why I never found it. I'm pretty good with the basic tools provided in other mods for that, and I use Schematica to save my finished designs so I don't have to keep re-inventing the wheel every time I make a new world. I might have to look at Buildcraft's Builder again at some point, but for me, Schematica does the job pretty good. It could handle tile entities better, but I like everything else about it.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I like Schematica in terms of it's idea and execution. However, I do wish working with the schematics wasn't so.. blinding. You can't see where your hitbox is aimed for placing the next block and when you're standing in the middle of a schematic block trying to get things done it just gets disorienting. I wish instead of being fully opaque they would maybe a least be at half-transparency. Or at least have an option for that. Then you wouldn't be blinded so effectively while trying to get work done. That (and because I have a hard time talking while I build) is why I haven't really recorded much while building with it.

Also - I decided to scrap what was recorded for the 3rd episode because the only thing the audience will miss from the end of the second episode to the beginning of the next one I record will be some very confusing recording sessions and more ravine exploration. I want to actually get started doing mod things in Episode 3, not repeat what we already did in Episode 2.

So between that and trying to find a decent online school (I got accepted to a brick-and-mortar school but they had a 300+ waiting list for housing. No thanks) it's been a while since I've been able to do anything focused on Minecraft and I apologize for the large amount of time I allowed to fall between the last episode and whenever I record a new one. That's not something I should let happen.

Also - Congrats on the job, Tome! I'm torn between finding a job and doing school myself. My fiance is convinced I need to work and still consider going to the brick school with the 300 waiting list. I'm convinced he's insane. I have my entire life AFTER college to work. Why do I want to work a job as a cashier or food-frier or something when, after (or during) college, I have a much better chance at getting a much better job. I'm in the hole of poverty and the government makes it nearly impossible to get out of with a job. It's much easier to get out of with school (add to this the fact that I live with my mother who is on disability and working seems like an even worse decision. They'll find a way to make my paycheck count against her benefits and then I'll be the only one providing for the family and get stuck).

So, that's what's been going on in my life. Hopefully things will get better.

At least I have school to look forward to which starts Sept 21st.

Sidenote: I use also too much.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
@Senseidragon You CAN disable the OP/mod interaction and special materials (required to make the OP swords, etc) in jordsutils' config. You don't need them to craft most of the core utility blocks like the drop light or the safety block.

I'm the opposite way @Monarch_of_Gold. I want a stable (part-time) job for while I'm going to college so I don't have to rely on financial aid for rent, food, books, or whatever else. I have seen what student debt does to people; I'd rather flip burgers for a living until I'm 60 than deal with debt collectors *shudder*. I additionally want really badly to get the heck out of my current living situation, I can figure out schooling later. Speaking of, I still need to do some research on the local saturation in that market so I can pick between the two majors I'm contemplating; the two/four year degree in a subject I'm naturally skilled at but will almost certainly dislike the working environment of, or the I'm-going-to-be-in-school-till-I'm-40 route in a subject which I'm heavily interested in. Obviously I'm going to use college to learn a lot of unrelated stuff while I'm there, it's the best place to learn all sorts of positively random stuff (assuming you do well in an academic environment, which I do). For instance I've wanted to learn Latin for decades.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
It's not that I wouldn't mind having a job, it's just the US government makes it painful for people living with beneficiaries. If I get a job, they cut my mom's benefits and then I have to provide for everyone or else we go homeless (again). That's not something I want. For now, college is a bit of a safer route to travel and ensures i have a future beyond Walmart. I'm kind of tired of being in the hole because I've been here my whole life so far.

At least college is a better way out than working. Working for a person already in the hole is like quick sand. College, however, is the rope getting you out of it.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Okay, guys! Third episode recorded! It may be another long one, I'm not sure. I got a bit too wordy at the beginning and too caught up in showing how to build with Schematica, so bear with it even if it is a bit longer than 30 minutes! Accept it as my apology for it being so long since the last one!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Just don't go in debt because of school. It makes living as the working poor look like you're rich. A college education is also not quite as good at securing a job as advertised, unless you're going for a STEM degree (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics). Basically all the reasons in this Forbes article and the linked article under "debunked the wage comparisons", among many other examples that drive home the same thing. Basically they boil down to: college isn't as good advice as everyone makes it out to be for the VAST majority of people. If you're planning on going into healthcare? Sure great idea. Jobs are in demand, and pay well. But you know that joke about the most common thing an English Major says is "Would you like fries with that?", it's a lot more true than people want to believe.

In significantly less "United States of America's Education System is broken" news: I decided to go through my mod list and give some words on the non Captain Obvious inclusions (Like everyone knows why MFR and AE2 are in the pack :p. AOBD is obvious too).

Galacticraft I already covered (exploration and integration). Agricraft is because MagicCrops is dead to me, but I prefer the "OP" ability to grow resources thanks to MC's crappy entity code. Ancient Warfare is in because I do plan on trying the R2R classic challenge and making useful NPCs is most certainly a good thing. AppleCore (because a surprising number of people don't know about it) I include for the UI improvement to the saturation/hunger meter. I have Dimensional Mining world as a guaranteed mining dimension, despite having a few other options like RFTools or Twilight Forest. I didn't include IC2 (desppite it being an old favorite) thanks to the events I call the "gregification"; the rework of content in IC2-EXP that included the Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators and the Ore Washing Plant. Builder's Guides is for obvious reasons. Builders Toolbox is actually included so I can see if it actually works or is yet another "smart" addon that's actually really REALLY dumb. There are additionally a host of mods included because they add exploration incentives because one of my friends is obsessed with survival/exploration games and won't stop making my world maps uglier than sin because they absolutely MUST explore new things and also likes a challenge. That would be a major reason why I have 4space (Galacticraft addon), Chocolate Quest, Dark Menagerie, Dimensional Doors, Galacticraft, Grimoire of Gaia 3, Lyra's Magnificent Trinkets, Mo'Creatures, Natura (Though that one is also for bushes and making the nether not a monoculture biome of boring), Nevermine 2: Advent of Ascension, Random Things - Blood Moons (though there's a crapton of reasons I want to add the mod myself), RFTools (custom dimensions? Oh heck yes), Roguelike Dungeons, Runic Dungeons, TerraArts, and Twilight Forest.

Oh crap, I let Redstone Arsenal slip in here? WHOOOPS! That's getting canned. That armor is just no with my modset. Too easy to get for its power level by FAR, and I don't like enchantable armors being that powerful once you get access to the range and power of enchants with mods like OpenBlocks and Aura Cascade. Router Reborn is in? I keep going back and forth on that. Though I guess anything I'd use RR for I can probably use SFM for instead, to the can!

By the way, I looked at the other Calendar mod mentioned by @Senseidragon, and I'm switching from the Grim3212 version to zombiepig333's Galender GUI. Much nicer implementation, more flexible, and more tweakable.

Redstonic, SuperMultiDrills, and RFDRills are in as attempts at replicating some of the functionality I miss from TiCo and IC2. I'm only planning on keeping one, maybe neither. Depends on how they actually play.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I do understand that college doesn't get every degree far. No college can ever promise you'll get a job, but it opens up more doors for you depending on your degree. For me, I'm going into Graphic Design, which is something that DEFINITELY requires a degree if you actually want to go out there. Otherwise potential employers in the field will take one look at you and scoff. There are jobs out there you need creds for and any job relating to any kind of technology, design, or STEM field (to me) seems like it's a better time if you get a degree. How many of you would hire an interior designer to help decorate your home that didn't have a college degree in the field? Not many. Not to mention college can help get a network started for you.

Overall, your modlist sounds very intriguing. It'll be nice to see what gets done with it!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Oh, I think I just earned, like, my 5th hypothetical badge for procrastinating.

For me, "pretty" depends on what I'm building. If I'm trying to build a bridge, I'll attempt to make it look decent, but there are no promises. Houses and other true buildings, on the other hand, yes. Those will look decent.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I manage "decent" on a good day when the stars align, I'm struck by a muse, and the gods of architecture and design possess me. I'm not "dirt hut" level, but I'm in a similar boat to Direwolf20. No practice with aesthetics, no innate talent, and an extreme preference for function over form.