[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Alright, changed a few rules around. Most notably I removed the distance restriction beyond stage 2. It's still very important to get to know your area before traveling far but at least now you can go on a proper adventure in stage 3.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Do you know how many apples you'd need to eat just to get your daily protein if you tried to live on an all-apple diet? Egads! Get a couple cows or something! Or if you want to do the vegetarian thing, start some soybean crops and make Tofu!

I understand being up to your eyeballs in apples, but expecting your growing civilization to thrive on just apples is a little unorthodox. ;)

I'm not sure what that machine building looks like completely on the inside, but it appeared to have a second floor as well as a basement. Maybe a short tour next time, with an idea of what you plan on putting in each floor? e.g., a Hamster farm in the basement to power all the machines.

Overall a good episode, waiting to see what you work on next!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Though before we do mystcraft ages I wanna drop in a couple more mods (galacticraft, simply jetpacks, backpacks mod, ???).
Just one more mod! ;)

With over 200 mods I hit my head on compatibility often. Backups are your friend! Especially if you're doing recording... Or trying to figure out which mod is breaking Thaumcraft's squiggly lines in the Thamonoicon.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Well, thaumcraft wouldn't agree with me period (no idea why, really), so I don't have to worry about that and these are mostly mods I've played with before so I know (in theory) that they should all be compatible with each other. 'Sides, it's not like my modlist is anywhere close to 200 strong. My computer would break before that happened.

And Dragon, my point isn't that I'm planning to let everyone survive on just apples, it's that if you're considering how much food a population this size would eat, we have plenty. Also, this is minecraft. No one follows dietary rules in minecraft. We survive on steaks and bread and do just fine.

Also - I didn't tour the machine building because both floors look exactly the same and there is no basement yet. There are plans for one, but it's not here yet. Mostly just for when we run out of room or need somewhere to poke some wires or something. There is also planned roof access in the future for when we're expanding to wind and solar generation (but I also know there's a required windmill at some point in the challenge if I'm remembering what I wrote correctly) so this will be an interesting building. I'm also trying to make my mod-related buildings easy to expand (you'll see a flat roof on my magic tower too) if they need to. The only one that shouldn't need expanding would be the kitchen for HarvestCraft because a lot of that is mostly just storage which I can make rely on either it's own mini network in AE or just have a bunch of chests in a basement layer or something.

I'm glad you liked it because it's one of the messiest episodes I've ever made and there were several things that didn't work right. I'll do better next episode (hopefully). As far as mods go, when I'm testing things out I usually don't test in an active survival world. I'll create a new creative superflat world to make sure everyone is playing together nicely before moving on to anything serious.

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Looks like we're back to back messages on the board today. Well, we are working towards the end of the Redstone expansion. I'm adding in a Cartman's Tinkery as per the Classic rules.

This is reviving our Steve's carts setup and getting a nice tunnel started towards our mining outlier. We're also touching on Railcraft and encountering/fixing a slight hitch/conflict with the recipes included with Immersive Engineering.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I've been incredibly busy with college paperwork and stuff!! Sorry!

I managed to get accepted into SNHU's online Graphic Design program and I've been googling and emailing and figuring out ever since. @ - @ I know in my last episode I said I would try not to let such a large gap of time form again but it may just happen. You guys are important to me but college comes first.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I managed to get accepted into SNHU's online Graphic Design program and I've been googling and emailing and figuring out ever since. @ - @ I know in my last episode I said I would try not to let such a large gap of time form again but it may just happen. You guys are important to me but college comes first.

Congratulations! On the flip side we'll miss your videos.

I'm thinking my build needs an extensive and frenetic college/university.

Maybe I missed it. I thought there was some guidelines for a university build in the wiki somewhere. Was I just imagining it?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I got infected by the Full Time Job symbiote. It drains the crap out of my Free Time system, but gives me Money in return... so I say fair trade :)

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys. Remember me? The guy who tried to do the R2R modpack? Well I have a question.
How much ram do you have and how much do you portion to FTB and how many mods can you use at once without lagging horribly?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
16GB RAM, 4GB allocated to Minecraft, in the neighborhood of 170-200 mods most times. Though things like Minefactory Reloaded count as nearly 20 mods all by itself, so that number might be off.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Yep, that's why I only give it 4. I gave it 6 for a while and had issues, so I backed it down. Something about the garbage collection going a little nutty. I tried various combinations of settings but kept getting some insane non fps-related stutter. I get the issue rarely now with allocating less RAM.

It is one of the downsides of using a language that "cleans up for you", it tends to lead to lazy coders who don't think one bit about optimizing their memory usage or allocations.

That isn't really knocking Java as much as a specific segment of coders that use it. Personally, I think some of the more serious issues lie within the Minecraft base code, not with the mods.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Yep, that's why I only give it 4. I gave it 6 for a while and had issues, so I backed it down. Something about the garbage collection going a little nutty. I tried various combinations of settings but kept getting some insane non fps-related stutter. I get the issue rarely now with allocating less RAM.

I use 16GB with 8GB for Minecraft and upwards of 200 mods. Bumping to 8GB certainly helped my load time and some massive server-client lag spikes were alleviated while others turned up. *sigh* I may back down to 4gb. I wonder if any modder out there has written an override to the Java memory allocation system.