[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
AW2 also offers building patterns that you can import and the workers will build.

The problem I last saw with the mod though was a dupe bug where you could (for example) [REDACTED].

Edit: My common sense called in sick today. Didn't consider the implications of spelling out that dupe. Sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Ninja

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
Just had a thought, what if with the HQM you could combine it with something like the Millenare building patterns. You have builder "villagers" and threw HQM you would receive a "blueprint" block for a building. Then you place this block in the world, and if the space is sufficient, the builder comes over to build the building for you. In the beginning, you would be expected to make the buildings yourself, but as things progress, you would become more of a mayor/supervisor doing the city planning, and then leaving the grunt work to your villagers.

Have you seen this yet? http://www.minecolonies.com/welcome Its along the same lines as what you're talking about I think. I'm excited to see how it works when it comes out.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I've been keeping an eye on that site for quite some time, but unfortunately I'm not seeing any public progress at any real pace. I'd love to see it get done, but I recognize that it is a tall order to get working right, and people have real lives that come before mod-writing.

If it happens, great! Till then, we mix and mash Custom NPCs, Progression, HQM and Ancient Warfare together and see what sticks.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
AW2 also offers building patterns that you can import and the workers will build.

The problem I last saw with the mod though was a dupe bug where you could (for example) [REDACTED].

Edit: My common sense called in sick today. Didn't consider the implications of spelling out that dupe. Sorry!

That particular dupe is actually possible with a large number of mods. The first one that comes to mind is Buildcraft actually. Multiple times throughout its history even. It's one of those unforseen consequences kinds of dupe bugs.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That particular dupe is actually possible with a large number of mods. The first one that comes to mind is Buildcraft actually. Multiple times throughout its history even. It's one of those unforseen consequences kinds of dupe bugs.
Kinda makes me wonder if a dupe I knew of that involved TE3 and TiC still works.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda makes me wonder if a dupe I knew of that involved TE3 and TiC still works.

It got patched. If you get creative, you can still find a way to make similar things work. As said above, its in the "unforeseen consequences" category.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, my bad. Need curse voice, browse for mod packs, then search for Road to Rule. After that its easy though ;)

Edit ~ Have version A0.03 out now with about 20 quests to do!

Played around with this a bit the other night. It's not a bad start, although I found the tools break awful quick, and the only means to make new ones or repair the ones received as rewards is locked away near the end of the wood age (which I am aware is currently still WIP). This was my first time touching AW2, so I took my time with a steady vanilla build-up, and particularly the hatchet was dead before I could blink.

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where it goes, while I begin toying with my own pack for our small server.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
So many conversations over my vacation! Well I was able to make a little progress on one of the items for the challenge and that was to start work on converting some animal pens to some guard houses. Talk about gentrification. Enjoy!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Guys, I need help.

I finally got into the school I've been wanting to get into only to realize that they're a need-gap school. That means that they have financial aid cover books and tuition and then whatever is leftover covers housing.

This is a problem because I can contribute a total of $0 to my education and housing.

It's made worse by the fact that I've been homeless once before and it's not something I want to go through again.

Loans can help cover the main bill, but that still leaves blankets and supplies and other things you need to live in a dorm.

I'm asking you guys to help me out by purchasing commissions. You guys can email me at [email protected] for further information and to make your purchase.

Payments will be handled via PayPal.

The dA journal linked below has pricing info.

http://fav.me/d92nj8k

Thank you.

Last edited:

Zonnebrand

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
I've been following this thread for some time and decided to start up the challenge a week ago (Hardcore).
Using Resonant Rise Mainline - Project Flux (Disabled Guardians of Gaia 3 and added Custom NPCs).

I am on the wood settlement stage and wanted to get some feedback on rules for Ancient Warfare.
Having labor with upkeep was intriguing so I set out to create the NPCs necessary to cover some of the goals for this stage: Farmers, Ranchers, Watchmen, Warehouse (food), Warehouse (items).

The problem is the crafting tables and research require items not normally allowed at this stage: I decided to craft them as long as the items required were only acquired within the stage rules (pillaging, looting, trading).
This included: Gold ingot, glass bottles, iron ingots, emeralds, and diamonds.

Only tier 1 of the warehouse can be built, and the watchmen can only be equip in stage appropriate gear. No bounds upgrades allowed at this stage. No tools above wood for the workers.

Does anyone have some feedback on these kinds of rules, or rules for other Mod items that seem stage appropriate but require higher end materials?

Thanks,

Jinotad

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, whats your guy's opinion on making flint to be required to make a crafting table, thus restricting production of tools or any "large" recipes until you acquire flint.

Making wood block + flint = crafting table recipe. Then perhaps have a recipe to make gravel/flint just in case its practically impossible to find the gravel. I was thinking of some small tool recipe, dirt, clay ball = flint shard. 4 flint shards = 1 flint.

Last edited:

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
Played around with this a bit the other night. It's not a bad start, although I found the tools break awful quick, and the only means to make new ones or repair the ones received as rewards is locked away near the end of the wood age (which I am aware is currently still WIP). This was my first time touching AW2, so I took my time with a steady vanilla build-up, and particularly the hatchet was dead before I could blink.

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where it goes, while I begin toying with my own pack for our small server.

You can repair the wood tools in a normal crafting table.

I don't recall seeing this mod linked. I think Progression probably fits the bill better for R2R, but http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/224749-true-tier-system looks like it could be useful if you're looking for something a bit simpler too

Edit: Forgot this one. More for the "this looks neat" side, it also has some functionality much like TiCo crafting stations and Steve's Workshop

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/228653-werkbench

I think I'm going to stick with Progression for now, and I'm definitely going to check out the Werkbench.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've been testing my pack which includes a number of mods discussed here in this thread, and I've noticed a few small issues along the way. Most of them I could figure out (Troubleshoot mod conflicts, Minetweak conflicting recipes, google random bits) but I encountered something my limited searching has provided no answer to, so I figure I'd see if you guys had seen it.

I encountered a bandit camp for the first time today. It was early game, so it was a major fight (just me vs the whole camp at once). Once the mooks were dead, it was just me and the Bandit Leader. No matter what I try, I cannot harm the Bandit Leader (I've not doused him in lava, but I may, just to see what happens). When I hit him, particle effects cover him, but I'm not sure what they are doing for him.

Since it was early game, I decided to fight smarter not harder. I used Punji Sticks (TiCo) to damage the majority of the soldiers on approach to me, and a few may have been killed by them. All other damage was done with either a TiCo Flint Hatchet or one of their own Iron Swords. Doubt any of that will make a difference, but information is good, right?

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I ran across the road to rule pack on the curse client. It occurred to me that instead of hqm The mod simple achievements might be more suited for the tasks you have for each age.

It's the same book that bacon doughnut uses in sky factory.

Jinotad

Jul 29, 2019
I ran across the road to rule pack on the curse client. It occurred to me that instead of hqm The mod simple achievements might be more suited for the tasks you have for each age.

I was thinking that would be a great book to add for any version of these kind of challenges. This way everything you need to know is in the game, and you can check off the goals as you meet them.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
[...]I encountered a bandit camp for the first time today. It was early game, so it was a major fight (just me vs the whole camp at once). Once the mooks were dead, it was just me and the Bandit Leader. No matter what I try, I cannot harm the Bandit Leader (I've not doused him in lava, but I may, just to see what happens). When I hit him, particle effects cover him, but I'm not sure what they are doing for him.

I don't know what mods you're using, but what you describe sounds an awful lot like a "warded" version of a mob. Do you have Thaumcraft installed?

Warded mobs have a bit of a damage shield on them that needs to be broken down first before any real damage can be done to them. If you have sounds enabled, you should also hear a distinct sound when hitting a warded opponent.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013

The Simple Achievements mod can be really good for people who want more of a checklist to work off of, rather than a more constrained and often arbitrary HQM setup. Until more can be done to integrate HQM with Custom NPCs, I'd personally recommend dropping HQM and going with Simple Achievements.

A few short rules in the Progression mod can easily set up your game for a Refugee-to-Regent challenge, but is by no means a necessary component.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hello,
I've been following this thread for some time and decided to start up the challenge a week ago (Hardcore).
Using Resonant Rise Mainline - Project Flux (Disabled Guardians of Gaia 3 and added Custom NPCs).

I am on the wood settlement stage and wanted to get some feedback on rules for Ancient Warfare.
Having labor with upkeep was intriguing so I set out to create the NPCs necessary to cover some of the goals for this stage: Farmers, Ranchers, Watchmen, Warehouse (food), Warehouse (items).

The problem is the crafting tables and research require items not normally allowed at this stage: I decided to craft them as long as the items required were only acquired within the stage rules (pillaging, looting, trading).
This included: Gold ingot, glass bottles, iron ingots, emeralds, and diamonds.

Only tier 1 of the warehouse can be built, and the watchmen can only be equip in stage appropriate gear. No bounds upgrades allowed at this stage. No tools above wood for the workers.

Does anyone have some feedback on these kinds of rules, or rules for other Mod items that seem stage appropriate but require higher end materials?

Thanks,

@Zonnebrand, remember the "Rule of Cool" -- if it makes sense for what you're doing, go ahead and allow it. From what you've described, you're keeping within the spirit of the challenge just fine.